News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ask me anything about New York.

Started by empirestate, October 27, 2021, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Inspired by the fascinating AMA thread about Russia...but obviously a little more tongue-in-cheek. :-P

What questions would you ask someone from New York if you've never been here (or before you'd traveled as much as you have now)? It might be interesting–if perhaps a little risky–to examine a few of own closer-to-home stereotypes.

hotdogPi

Would I need to carry my physical vaccination card with me, or does a smartphone screenshot count? Also, does this apply upstate?

Where do people live in Manhattan? People can't live in businesses.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Here's a question: are you talking about the city, or the state?   :D

JayhawkCO

Where is the best pizza in NYC and why is it in Staten Island?

Chris

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2021, 11:05:54 AM
Would I need to carry my physical vaccination card with me, or does a smartphone screenshot count? Also, does this apply upstate?

A screenshot of your CDC card may not be accepted everywhere, since it can be faked. But you can link your vaccination data to the Excelsior Pass and display that from your smartphone wallet. That's what I do and it has always been accepted (even once out of state, in Connecticut).

EDIT: Yes, the same methods (CDC card or Excelsior Pass) would be valid statewide, although most areas don't have vaccination requirements as broad as NYC's.

QuoteWhere do people live in Manhattan? People can't live in businesses.

They live upstairs from businesses. :-)

In fact, while the major core areas (Midtown and the Financial District) are primarily commercial or office space, there are residential units all over the borough. While detached single-family homes are basically unheard of, the most common type of residential building consists of several floors of apartments above a row of storefronts, and that could be a 5- or 6-story walk-up, or a huge high-rise.

In wealthier areas you'll find rows of brownstones (town houses, some even single-family); elsewhere, there are numerous campus-style public housing complexes. And you may even find a few legit houses, such as in Marble Hill.

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 27, 2021, 11:14:55 AM
Where is the best pizza in NYC and why is it in Staten Island?

Chris

Because all of the small business in Manhattan are closing down, and all of the pizza there is tourist-grade.

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 11:07:28 AM
Here's a question: are you talking about the city, or the state?   :D

Exactly. ;-)

NE2

Which mile of former NY 178 was SH 185?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jlam

More of a NY State question: Which do you use more when you travel to western New York: the Turnpike or I-86?

empirestate

Quote from: NE2 on October 27, 2021, 12:58:53 PM
Which mile of former NY 178 was SH 185?

Probably one not all that far from SH 183.

Quote from: jlam on October 27, 2021, 01:44:56 PM
More of a NY State question: Which do you use more when you travel to western New York: the Turnpike or I-86?

Depends where you're traveling from, but from where I live I would use I-86 (by way of I-84 and NY 17). From the capital district, on the other hand, you might be inclined to use the Cherry Valley Turnpike as a fun "blue highway" route. But for the fastest route, you'd probably just take the Thruway. ;-)

JayhawkCO

Are there any beaches nicer than the ones in Orleans County?

Chris

abefroman329

Admit it: NY-style pizza sold by the slice, and not from a fresh pie, is actually kind of gross.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2021, 02:03:24 PM
Quote from: jlam on October 27, 2021, 01:44:56 PM

Depends where you're traveling from, but from where I live I would use I-86 (by way of I-84 and NY 17). From the capital district, on the other hand, you might be inclined to use the Cherry Valley Turnpike as a fun "blue highway" route. But for the fastest route, you'd probably just take the Thruway. ;-)

NY 17/I-86 or I-80>I-380>I-81 are generally the preferred routes from downstate to any destination west of I-81. The Thruway between Albany and Syracuse is obviously the best route from Albany to points west, but it doesn't have much utility for traffic between upstate and downstate.

The answer could also be "both", as it is in my case: if I was heading downstate I would use I-90 to Syracuse, then I-81 to NY 17/I-86.

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 27, 2021, 02:06:31 PM

Certainly, on Long Island   :-P

(Elsewhere upstate too, of course)

thspfc

Have people from upstate NY accepted that people tend to associate "New York"  with one of the most famous cities in the world, as opposed to the largely rural and nondescript area that is upstate by comparison? (I know that there is a lot to like about upstate but IMO upstate residents should not be offended by "New York"  and "New York City"  being synonymous.)

Roadgeekteen

What is you guy's view on Massachusetts and New England?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 27, 2021, 03:29:40 PM
Have people from upstate NY accepted that people tend to associate "New York"  with one of the most famous cities in the world, as opposed to the largely rural and nondescript area that is upstate by comparison? (I know that there is a lot to like about upstate but IMO upstate residents should not be offended by "New York"  and "New York City"  being synonymous.)

For the most part, yes. I mean, it's certainly not a dynamic that anyone upstate loves, but it's also accepted as a part of living here, and isn't something that's going to change anytime soon.

And anyone who has visited Upstate NY probably realizes that it's actually not nondescript and arguably one of the most interesting states east of the Mississippi (at least in terms of overall diversity; a state like Vermont is obviously much more interesting/scenic on a per-square mile basis), so I tend to think of "NY=NYC" as simply uninformed, not necessarily an upstate snub.

One thing that bothers me, though... why is Josh Allen pictured here? It's clearly about New York City sports:

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1446192773074456577

triplemultiplex

And for a certain segment of the population "New York" only means Manhattan, not just the city as a whole.

Also this kind of thing, lol :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfHZi9MJnI
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SkyPesos

Why does Ithaca (Cornell) lack a 4 lane connection to the interstate system?

Flint1979

webny99

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2021, 04:33:51 PM
Also this kind of thing, lol :
[video]

Well, true...  at the end of the day the one thing a real New Yorker wouldn't do is stop to answer that question!  :-D

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2021, 04:52:06 PM
Why does Orleans County exist?

So we can debate about "when is a beach not a beach?"

webny99

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 27, 2021, 04:50:35 PM
Why does Ithaca (Cornell) lack a 4 lane connection to the interstate system?

It certainly should, but traffic to Ithaca approaches from so many different directions that no single approach has gotten bad enough for it to happen. The NY 13 corridor heading northeast to Cortland/I-81 is actually the busiest route to/from Ithaca, but at least that corridor has a reasonable alternate, at least for car traffic, through Freeville/McLean.

empirestate

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 27, 2021, 02:06:31 PM

No, all the rest are spoiled by allowing the public to swim from them, so they are much less pristine.

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 27, 2021, 03:10:20 PM
Admit it: NY-style pizza sold by the slice, and not from a fresh pie, is actually kind of gross.

I'm sorry, that's not a question. :-P

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 03:17:00 PM
The Thruway between Albany and Syracuse is obviously the best route from Albany to points west, but it doesn't have much utility for traffic between upstate and downstate.

That being said, I actually live far enough north that the Thruway comes out almost even time-wise to I-86 for going to western New York. (I know, I was a little surprised myself.)

Absolutely not. Heck, people upstate haven't even accepted the city itself, let alone other people's perceptions of it! :-D

SSOWorld

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 03:54:17 PM

For the most part, yes. I mean, it's certainly not a dynamic that anyone upstate loves, but it's also accepted as a part of living here, and isn't something that's going to change anytime soon.

And anyone who has visited Upstate NY probably realizes that it's actually not nondescript and arguably one of the most interesting states east of the Mississippi (at least in terms of overall diversity; a state like Vermont is obviously much more interesting/scenic on a per-square mile basis), so I tend to think of "NY=NYC" as simply uninformed, not necessarily an upstate snub.

One thing that bothers me, though... why is Josh Allen pictured here? It's clearly about New York City sports:

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1446192773074456577

Should the Giants and Jets count? They're in New Jersey - if thy do, why not the New Jersey Devils?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 27, 2021, 07:34:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2021, 03:54:17 PM

[tweet snipped]

Should the Giants and Jets count? They're in New Jersey - if thy do, why not the New Jersey Devils?

Exactly... in no world should all 3 NFL teams count but not the Devils.

If it's referring to the city, then the Bills make no sense. But if it's referring to the state then no NJ teams count, and that would be even weirder.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2021, 07:22:17 PM

Absolutely not. Heck, people upstate haven't even accepted the city itself, let alone other people's perceptions of it! :-D

Now I'm curious if this is serious to some degree, or completely tongue-in-cheek. It's almost the opposite of my answer, although I decided to give what I thought was an honest answer while carefully avoiding "taking the bait".

(And I hope you don't mind me answering some of the questions here - Feel free to let me know if you do  :D)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.