News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Ask me anything about New York.

Started by empirestate, October 27, 2021, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 28, 2021, 01:35:23 PM
Is NY-style pizza sold by the slice, and not from a fresh pie, actually kind of gross?
Maybe a bit, probably? But that's a guess, as most NY-style slices are served from a relatively fresh pie. (I mean, pizza does reheat quite well in the correct sort of oven, and that means even a day or two after!)

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 28, 2021, 01:39:45 PM
Plattsburgh NY or Burlington VT
true

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 28, 2021, 09:46:53 PM
If this thread was made sooner then I would have put the 270 Park Avenue question in here!
QuoteWhy did they demolish that huge building that looks modern and fine? I feel like it seems a waste to just demolish it instead of finding an open area to build another building.
false

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on October 28, 2021, 10:04:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2021, 01:33:48 PM
You're missing out! Guida's pizza and wings are the best, especially their cajun wings. In my experience Mark's and Salvatore's are OK, but they're not as good as Guida's.
I wouldn't be in the market for cajun wings–what interests me is the actual Buffalo sauce. (I developed a taste for it while working at Mark's, as it happens. We used to get to fry up and eat any supernumerary wings after packing our dozens.)

Oh, well you should be if you're not now - cajun are the best! (Just my opinion, of course!  :biggrin:) Guida's also has breaded cajun wings - basically a heart attack on a plate, but really good all the same.

That's not to say I don't like buffalo wing sauce - it's great too. Unlike some people, I don't even mind medium or hot buffalo wing sauce. There are limits, of course, but generally the hotter the better in my book!

There was a place downtown with great wings as well... sadly it's no longer around.
Richmond's?

No, it was called Chicken Moms. It was in a pretty rough part of town to say the least, and it closed ages ago, but I did find some evidence that it existed!

TonyTrafficLight

Quote from: vdeane on October 27, 2021, 10:11:49 PM
Utica has tomato pie and chicken riggies.

Don't forget we've got Utica Greens too.
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2021, 10:41:46 PM
There was a place downtown with great wings as well... sadly it's no longer around.
Richmond's?

No, it was called Chicken Moms. It was in a pretty rough part of town to say the least, and it closed ages ago, but I did find some evidence that it existed!
[/quote]

Oh, that's well north of downtown!

Incidentally, when I worked at Mark's (in Irondequoit), Clifford Ave. was the southern border of our delivery area–partially because it represented the margins of the roughest part of town. Clifford/Goodman would be right at the corner; things didn't get really bad until you're closer in to Scio/North/Upper Falls.

(I once had to deliver to a place on the corner of Conkey and D, which was exactly as you'd expect it to be. Though in all fairness, I quit after the shop itself was robbed twice–so in that instance, the roughest part of town was Irondequoit!)

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on October 29, 2021, 11:18:09 AM
Richmond's?

Incidentally, when I worked at Mark's (in Irondequoit), Clifford Ave. was the southern border of our delivery area–partially because it represented the margins of the roughest part of town. Clifford/Goodman would be right at the corner; things didn't get really bad until you're closer in to Scio/North/Upper Falls.

(I once had to deliver to a place on the corner of Conkey and D, which was exactly as you'd expect it to be. Though in all fairness, I quit after the shop itself was robbed twice–so in that instance, the roughest part of town was Irondequoit!)

I guess I should have said "in the city" instead of downtown. But yes, not a nice part of town! I remember going there with a family friend from the NYC area when I was much younger and him being taken aback by how rough the area was, which I thought was something for someone that grew up in NYC!

Irondequoit is not exactly thriving these days either... parts are still nice, but Webster has essentially replaced Irondequoit as the go-to for shopping for the eastern/northeastern suburbs, and as such the entire Ridge Rd corridor in Irondequoit has definitely seen better days.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

vdeane

QuoteRight... they're more commonly known as trash plates now even though "garbage" is the original name.
How the times have changed... "In my day" one would never hear "trash plate"! :-D
Indeed... I don't recall anyone in school or in my family referring to "trash plates" instead of garbage plates.  There must have been some big shift with gen Z.  Or maybe a regionalism in just Penfield/Webster?

Quote from: webny99 on October 29, 2021, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 29, 2021, 11:18:09 AM
Richmond's?

I guess I should have said "in the city" instead of downtown. But yes, not a nice part of town! I remember going there with a family friend from the NYC area when I was much younger and him being taken aback by how rough the area was, which I thought was something for someone that grew up in NYC!

Irondequoit is not exactly thriving these days either... parts are still nice, but Webster has essentially replaced Irondequoit as the go-to for shopping for the eastern/northeastern suburbs, and as such the entire Ridge Rd corridor in Irondequoit has definitely seen better days.

It does seem like Rochester's first-ring suburbs are in decline.  Irondequoit's been declining for years (hence why the mall is no more), and now it's affecting other places like Brighton.  I don't recall anything worse than rummaging through unlocked cars when I was young, but just this past year there have been at least two home robberies (one was through a window left open, but the other was a smashed window) and a stolen car (it's rumored that the keys were in the car, but Mom did see a suspicious car driving through the neighborhood very slowly around when the car was stolen).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on October 29, 2021, 12:00:39 PM

Ah, yes–if you're from NYC, particularly during the crime lull of the last couple of decades, you may not be familiar with what a typical American city is really like. This was actually an issue when I worked at a place where lots of folks from the 5 boros were brought in. They'd assume they had good street smarts being from the big city, not realizing that it was actually much safer down there. (And a few of them did run into some trouble while in Rochester.)

QuoteIrondequoit is not exactly thriving these days either... parts are still nice, but Webster has essentially replaced Irondequoit as the go-to for shopping for the eastern/northeastern suburbs, and as such the entire Ridge Rd corridor in Irondequoit has definitely seen better days.

Yes, and parts of Gates and Greece have been heading that way for years. It happens to inner-ring suburbs most everywhere.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 29, 2021, 03:54:57 PM
Where can I get a good steamed ham?

Albany. Not at Utica.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 29, 2021, 10:57:33 PM
QuoteRight... they're more commonly known as trash plates now even though "garbage" is the original name.
How the times have changed... "In my day" one would never hear "trash plate"! :-D
Indeed... I don't recall anyone in school or in my family referring to "trash plates" instead of garbage plates.  There must have been some big shift with gen Z.  Or maybe a regionalism in just Penfield/Webster?

No, I don't think it's specific to Penfield/Webster... more likely just a side effect of the fact that everybody that sells them except for Nick Tahou's calls them trash plates.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on October 27, 2021, 10:48:38 PM
Dinosaur BBQ has gone downhill.  Totally overhyped and probably the blandest BBQ in the country now.
How dare you diss my Dinosaur?! 🐱‍🐉  :ded: :rolleyes:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.