News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ask me anything about Fresno

Started by Max Rockatansky, October 28, 2021, 10:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

When did Fresno overtake Sacramento as the largest Inland City in California.
In the case of Sacramento it has suburban sprawl from Vacaville to the Roseville area that makes the Sacramento area look larger than Fresno.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on October 29, 2021, 12:55:21 AM
In the case of Sacramento it has suburban sprawl from Vacaville to the Roseville area that makes the Sacramento area look larger than Fresno.

Fresno overlook Sacramento around 2000.  The Sacramento Metro Area has more than double the population of Fresno though.

Speaking of the Sacramento Metro Area why is Truckee and South Lake Tahoe part of it when it when belong more with a consolidated Reno-Carson City?

nexus73

Is there a rivalry with Bakersfield?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on October 29, 2021, 10:34:39 AM
Is there a rivalry with Bakersfield?

Rick

Not really, it hardly ever comes up in conversation.  There is a thing with Boise though because of Fresno State and Boise State. 

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 29, 2021, 07:51:37 AM

Fresno overlook Sacramento around 2000.  The Sacramento Metro Area has more than double the population of Fresno though.

Speaking of the Sacramento Metro Area why is Truckee and South Lake Tahoe part of it when it when belong more with a consolidated Reno-Carson City?
Might be a carryover of the Gold Rush days as a factor why Truckee and South Late Tahoe are a  part of Sacramento area and not Carson City/Reno Area.
What are Fresno's other industries besides agricultural processing and livestock. I heard of people from the Bay Area and Los Angeles moving to the area for "Affordable Housing".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on October 30, 2021, 09:27:44 PM

Might be a carryover of the Gold Rush days as a factor why Truckee and South Late Tahoe are a  part of Sacramento area and not Carson City/Reno Area.
What are Fresno's other industries besides agricultural processing and livestock. I heard of people from the Bay Area and Los Angeles moving to the area for "Affordable Housing".

That's part of the problem, the agriculture sector by far is the largest economic driver in the Fresno Area (all eggs in one basket economy).  To that end I don't see Fresno taking off in the white collar sector given it doesn't really cater to that workforce.   Places like Tracy are generally "close enough" to drive to the Bay Area from and draw from it's workforce residentially.  Fresno State has a large presence which kind of sorta makes Fresno (more so Clovis) a college town.  There is a fairly large military presence in the general area with NAS Lemoore and the Fresno Air National Guard at FAT.  FWIW the DOD is why I've moved around so much across the country this past decade, I was asked to come here.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2021, 09:53:29 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 30, 2021, 09:27:44 PM

That's part of the problem, the agriculture sector by far is the largest economic driver in the Fresno Area (all eggs in one basket economy).  To that end I don't see Fresno taking off in the white collar sector given it doesn't really cater to that workforce.   Places like Tracy are generally "close enough" to drive to the Bay Area from and draw from it's workforce residentially.  Fresno State has a large presence which kind of sorta makes Fresno (more so Clovis) a college town.  There is a fairly large military presence in the general area with NAS Lemoore and the Fresno Air National Guard at FAT.  FWIW the DOD is why I've moved around so much across the country this past decade, I was asked to come here.

Yes I remember seeing a Lemoore Exit when I was going back to Sacramento for Work after going to LA to visit with family. I knew parts of California had in the past or currently dependent on defense just regional bias got me on this one.

I knew Travis Air Force Base gets in my area and Camp Pendleton gets more attention for military presence.

https://www.aaroads.com/california/ca-099nd.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Lemoore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresno_Yosemite_International_Airport

index

How do you feel about Fresno's (terrible) flag?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: index on October 31, 2021, 08:29:02 PM
How do you feel about Fresno's (terrible) flag?

It is horrible but it also reminds me of the taco truck we hired to cater our wedding, so mixed feelings.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.