News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite "Driving" Songs

Started by tchafe1978, December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark68

I'm really shocked and appalled that these songs were not mentioned, as they are go to songs for me on a long trek:

"Take It Easy", "Hotel California" & "Life In the Fast Lane"
"Born to Run" & "Thunder Road"

Some others I enjoy:

"I'm In Love with My Car"~Queen
"Cars"~Gary Numan
"Drive"~The Cars
"Thunderkiss '65"~White Zombie

Some songs not about driving, but are great for (my) road trips:

Any Pink Floyd (especially "Echoes", "Dogs", "Sheep", "Pigs (Three Different Ones)", "Insterstellar Overdrive", "Astronomy Domine")

Most Led Zeppelin (especially "Kashmir", "Ten Years Gone", "Carouselambra", "Battle of Evermore", "Stairway to Heaven")

"YYZ", "Red Barchetta", "Jacob's Ladder", "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", "La Villa Strangiato", "Xanadu" & "Subdivisions" by Rush

The entire OK Computer album by Radiohead.

"Knights of Cydonia", "Butterflies & Hurricanes", "Take A Bow" by Muse

Pretty much anything by Tool, especially from Aenima on.

"The Sky Moves Sideways" (both phases), "Moonloop", "Radioactive Toy", "Russia On Ice", "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" (and most other songs) by Porcupine Tree

"Whipping Post" (Live at Fillmore East), "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers

"Tuesday's Gone" & "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Piano Man"

Anything from Metallica's first five albums.

Ah hell, it's a big list. I'll stop here.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

oscar

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

D-Dey65

"Red Barchetta" is about driving though.

CapeCodder

Young Turks- Rod Stewart

There's a section towards the close of the song where he says the lyrics "time is on your side."

I used to use this section as a mnemonic device to look for semis/other traffic in the mirrors. Really worked well on the section of I-70 at Mineola Hill.

kevinb1994

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 24, 2021, 07:58:47 PM
Young Turks- Rod Stewart

There's a section towards the close of the song where he says the lyrics "time is on your side."

I used to use this section as a mnemonic device to look for semis/other traffic in the mirrors. Really worked well on the section of I-70 at Mineola Hill.
The song has since been sampled by The Weeknd in his "˜Blinding Lights'.

plain

I believe I've mentioned "California 1" by Con Funk Shun on another thread before. I've never been to CA but I love the song.

https://youtu.be/GMlB0302S50

And then there's, ummm, this... a song I listened to a lot back in the 2000's by Memphis Bleek (who is from Brooklyn, not sure why he named himself that) called "I Get High". It's literally about getting weeded while driving down I-95  :-D NOTE: I don't actually condone doing this :cool:

https://youtu.be/ae8HPDzM-aw
Newark born, Richmond bred

CtrlAltDel

For a while, I had a tradition of listening to Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" as near as possible to the midpoint of a long trip, but I've fallen out of it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM
What are some of your favorite "Driving" songs, that is, songs that specifically mention driving?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 25, 2021, 01:37:28 AM
Anything upbeat basically.

What?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 25, 2021, 01:44:39 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM
What are some of your favorite "Driving" songs, that is, songs that specifically mention driving?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 25, 2021, 01:37:28 AM
Anything upbeat basically.

What?
Oh I didn't read the op lol.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Concrete Bob

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned "Roadrunner" by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers up to this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_4PSw4dQrg

My little brother just helped me load my entire 3,000-plus CD collection onto/into the bluetooth software operations on my car and mobile phone.  I set it to shuffle and I RIDE. I mostly prefer hard rock, metal, classic soul and blues, punk and deep classic rock. At last, I have a radio station on wheels.  A combination of the free-form progressive rock stations of my 1970s youth, mixed with satellite-delivered early, circa 1986-87 Z-Rock, along with the old R&B formatted "X Stations" from below the border, circa 1966.  Along with a bunch of newer metal through the current era.  OG Geezer, indeed !!   

Flint1979

I usually leave it on either The Beatles Channel or Classic Rewind on SirusXM.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 25, 2021, 07:17:50 AM
Seconded for leaving it on Classic Rewind. Classic Vinyl too. On some occasions we will flip it to a different station such as E Street Radio, for example.

But we also have a hard drive plugged in so we don't have to rely on satellite all the time.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 25, 2021, 07:42:24 AM
Seconded for leaving it on Classic Rewind. Classic Vinyl too. On some occasions we will flip it to a different station such as E Street Radio, for example.

But we also have a hard drive plugged in so we don't have to rely on satellite all the time.
Yeah I've been listening to Classic Vinyl at times too because if I've had too much of The Beatles I'll just go there and mix it up and they play The Beatles on Vinyl but not Rewind, just different eras for those two channels but same type of music of course. I also listen to Ozzy's Boneyard on channel 38. I've been trying to mix it up and listen to some more channels on there lately too.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 25, 2021, 03:01:31 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 25, 2021, 07:42:24 AM

Yeah I've been listening to Classic Vinyl at times too because if I've had too much of The Beatles I'll just go there and mix it up and they play The Beatles on Vinyl but not Rewind, just different eras for those two channels but same type of music of course. I also listen to Ozzy's Boneyard on channel 38. I've been trying to mix it up and listen to some more channels on there lately too.

sirius xm 'first wave' is my jam. plus, i live in a canyon so unless you like the country station in cheyenne, its a much better option.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.