News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

AsphaltPlanet.ca Updates

Started by AsphaltPlanet, July 02, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Looks like you're approaching CA 41 on your CA 46 photo.  That would put you by Cholame and the James Dean Memorial, I frequent those highways often out there between the Diablos and Temblors. 

AsphaltPlanet

The day those photos were taken, I drove easterly along Highway 46 from the Coast Road, and then actually went up Hwy 41 northerly to 198 and then went east into the Sierras.  I deliberately drove easterly on SR-46 east of the 41 junction so that I could turn around and take a couple of photos going back west down the hill.  It's pretty photogenic.

My only regret for these photos is that I used to use somewhat of a 'zone' autofocus method where I would allow the camera to choose focus from a number of focusing points in  he specific zone that I selected.  After reviewing the photos, I found that I ended up with more slightly misaligned focused photos, and therefore slightly less sharp photos, than if I had have just selected the individual focusing point manually.  I live along way from California, so it's frustrating to not get results as good as I could have gotten, or strove to get.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

nexus73

Your worst effort for taking pix would beat my best...LOL!  Capturing some beautiful perspectives like you do is so amazing to me.  It is like "I am there" and seeing the scene the way you did, in living color on NBC! 

Thank you once more for the gorgeous photos AP.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 25, 2017, 12:41:28 PM
The day those photos were taken, I drove easterly along Highway 46 from the Coast Road, and then actually went up Hwy 41 northerly to 198 and then went east into the Sierras.  I deliberately drove easterly on SR-46 east of the 41 junction so that I could turn around and take a couple of photos going back west down the hill.  It's pretty photogenic.

My only regret for these photos is that I used to use somewhat of a 'zone' autofocus method where I would allow the camera to choose focus from a number of focusing points in  he specific zone that I selected.  After reviewing the photos, I found that I ended up with more slightly misaligned focused photos, and therefore slightly less sharp photos, than if I had have just selected the individual focusing point manually.  I live along way from California, so it's frustrating to not get results as good as I could have gotten, or strove to get.

Sounds like a hell of a trip, how did you get up over the Sierras or did you take 198 to the Generals Highway?  Obviously you got me beat with the the photo quality, I'd love to get similar results off of some of the roads out here in Central California.  I guess the good news that I can repeat routes on a whim if I'm not happy with my photos, I generally do just for kicks anyways.

AsphaltPlanet

From 198, I took 245 northerly to 180, and then went that way.  After a little bit of touring in the mountains, I turned west and went westerly along 180 back into Fresno, and then took 99 up to 152 and then spent the night near Gilroy.  The next day, after the morning in San Jose, I went back into the Sierras along Hwy 120, and then took Hwy 49 south to Hwy 41 before spending the night near Bakersfield.

I just do the photo stuff for fun too.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

That sounds like a hell of a trip, basically you were essentially in my back yard on stuff I frequent regularly.  Really I think 245 criminally underrated as a driver's road, not the prettiest but there has to be at least 350 curves on that route.  I was always partial to that vast sweeping vista of the Merced River Canyon when 49 makes the climb towards Mariposa via Bear Valley. 

formulanone

AsphaltPlanet

Some recent video uploads from me:

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

AsphaltPlanet

I've uploaded a few additional videos in recent weeks:

nexus73

After seeing the greeting "Welcome to California!" on the Berdoo Freeway video, you could have added "Yeah, we really do drive this fast!".  Thanks to your taking the time to shoot this video, I finally got to see the old 30/current 210 section.  As always, it is enjoyable for me to see the areas I was in over 40 years ago.  The Southland freeways always impressed me then and they still do today.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks for the comment.  I appreciate it.  I'm kind of disappointed with the San Bernardino video. The footage just shakes so much -- I tried a variety of things to improve that in post processing, but I couldn't eliminate it entirely.  Concrete roads in California often aren't the smoothest.  It's too bad though, because I really thought the San Bernardino video had beautiful light for filming.

AsphaltPlanet

I have uploaded some additional videos:

nexus73

When I passed along I-15 from Temecula to Escondido, what caught my eye were the giant rocks on steep hillsides looking like a strong quake could send them rolling onto the freeway.  Since the rocks have sat there through many a quake already I doubt they will be moving but it is a dramatic visual!

The surprise was seeing how a tiny hamlet became a major city: Menifee.  If you watch the first episode of "The Invaders", which was made in 1966, you will see Temecula featured and boy is it a very small town.  The closing scene shows US 395 in the distance too.

Thank you once more for being my travel guide Asphalt!

Rick

doglover44

Very nice Love Texas freeways !

AsphaltPlanet

I've been on kind of an uploading binge of late, here are some of my recent uploads:

BigManFromAFRICA88

Could you spoil more of what you'll be covering NYC-wise in future videos (as stated in the end of your Deegan video)? ☺

AsphaltPlanet

The next video that I am currently working on the area is a vid of the Merritt Parkway.  I recorded a bunch of the highways on Manhattan and on approach, but to be honest, I haven't looked at the footage much, and I'm assuming some of it probably isn't that usable due to the poor condition of the roadways.

That said, I do plan to upload more footage from New York, but it will be interspersed with footage from other areas of the continent as well.

nexus73

I-69 south of Bloomington reminded me of I-22 in Mississippi in terms of the rural nature of the route.  Now if you had the guts, money and lawyers, you could shoot fast real time driving by using a Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 500...LOL!  That freeway looked so empty and is begging to be driven quick.  Oh if only we really could do so legally!

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

I-69 south of Bloomington is a surprisingly pleasant drive.  The low traffic levels are nice (which will surely change once more of the road has opened to traffic), but it's pretty pleasant how it meanders through the hills.

Closer to Evansville the highway flattens out and gets less interesting.

It's been a learning experience making these videos.  Going through the motions has made me understand the technical aspect of photography a lot more -- I no longer just pray and spray when I use my camera.  The footage from a lot of my midwestern stuff from last summer was shot at 24 frames per second, which unfortunately means the footage is a lot less fluid than it should be.  When I filmed it, I didn't really know that the framerate would make that much of a difference.

bing101

Asphaltplanet did a video on the Merritt recently. and what an interesting drive with the tiny ramps to the gas stops in some sections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritt_Parkway

AsphaltPlanet

^ Some of the entrance ramps are fairly short as well.  About three quarters through the drive someone gets on the highway, tries to gun it in front of me, and then panics and suddenly slows.

nexus73

1940 parkway design was certainly pretty even if the ramp lengths were not all that.  Seeing all that green made me think of my home state, Oregon.  What if US 101 was done to such a standard of attractiveness? 

Thank you for another fine video AP.  It is certainly fun to see the country through your eyes!

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

Max Rockatansky

^^^

I recognize all the above from the local stuff that I frequent around here.  If you were on CA 25 at the Willow Creek Bridge you'd would have passed by CA 146 east which heads to Pinnacles National Park.  CA 25 is one of the better drives in the state IMO given the terrain is well suited for a well handling car along with an extremely low traffic count.  The second picture on the CA 41 freeway is below the ramps heading from the CA 180 freeway.  That ramp on the right for CA 41 north is particularly brutal in morning rush hour since it all converges into a single lane of through traffic in about a quarter of a mile.  The third picture which is from CA 41 southbound appears to be just over the Kettlemen Hills south of I-5 heading towards CA 33.  You can see an old cut of CA 41 to the right of the modern road which had the asphalt removed a couple years back.  With CA 166 I believe you're on the section that is co-signed with 33 which descends into San Joaquin Valley but I'm not sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.