News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2018, 03:59:14 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2018, 10:59:26 AM
IN FREE FLOWING TRAFFIC.  No thinking driver (again we are talking about people from Maryland and south who may have no local knowledge) is going to drive I-95 in SE PA, I-95 in Philadelphia, cross the WWB, use NJ I-76, when they can bypass all of it.  Nor should they even consider it just because NJ didn't properly connect I-295 to NJ-42.
For grins & giggles, I went to Google Maps to see what routing choices I would get if I entered a Newark, DE to Atlantic City trip.  Here were the two generated choices: one of them was indeed involves using I-95 into South Philly and then taking I-76 East along the Walt Whitman Bridge.
The reverse trip gave me three routing choices: the opposite of the two previous routings plus one that uses the NJ Turnpike (exiting off NJ 42 & using NJ 168/Black Horse Pike to enter the Turnpike at Exit 3).

You still don't seem to understand.  Most people know well enough not to blindly follow mapping software, that it can be wrong or else not account for peak hours traffic.

Someone from outside the area, from the southerly I-95 corridor, who does not know the Philadelphia area, that wants to get to Atlantic City, Ocean City, etc. is going to look at a map (paper or electronic) and they are not going to go thru a city as large as Philadelphia.

I would find the simplist and most reliable route would be to take the NJTP, NJ-42 and the AC Expressway, knowing what I know, and for someone who doesn't know the area most would likely do the same.

You think people look at a map? Hahahahahaha.

I guess those people that followed their GPS onto railroad tracks or into a river is just fake news, right?

famartin

Philadelphia is completely absent from NJTP Exit 4 signage.

02 Park Ave

Getting back on topic, does anyone know if the intercity bus companies have started to use the new flyovers?
C-o-H

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2018, 04:41:04 PM
I would find the simplist and most reliable route would be to take the NJTP, NJ-42 and the AC Expressway, knowing what I know, and for someone who doesn't know the area most would likely do the same.
You think people look at a map? Hahahahahaha.
I guess those people that followed their GPS onto railroad tracks or into a river is just fake news, right?

Given how recent is the common usage of electronic mapping, yes, motorists have been using paper maps for almost 100 years, and plenty of people still do.  After all, people need some way to figure out how to get to a destination if they don't already know.

That routing above is the one that the old paper AAA Triptiks utilized.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

CtrlAltDel

Curiously, even though Google Maps now shows the I-95 connectors, it does not show the traffic on them.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SignBridge

Beltway, I'm with you pal. Still using paper road maps and Atlas. Never owned a GPS. The map enables you to see the big picture and plan your route intelligently.

And for J&N: I've never had to ask a toll collector for directions, but thank you for your service anyway. :)

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2018, 10:49:04 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2018, 10:03:55 AM
You promoted the I-95 and I-76 route in lieu of the lack of southerly connection between I-295 and NJ-42, and the lack of southerly connection between NJTP and NJ-42.  It was the first reference (2094) that I made the first comment about the one direction not being full freeway.  Why suggest it as an alternate when it has a missing connection as well?  The whole idea of using that route thru Philadelphia instead of bypassing it is rather odd in the first place.
95 to 76 doesn't have a missing connection.  76 to 95 does, which is why I didn't mention it.  I can't answer your question of why suggest it as an alternate when it has a missing connection BECAUSE I DIDN'T SUGGEST IT.
While you keep claiming the 95 to 76 connection isn't comparable, it comes up on Google Maps as an option when the times are very comparable.   

IN FREE FLOWING TRAFFIC.  No thinking driver (again we are talking about people from Maryland and south who may have no local knowledge) is going to drive I-95 in SE PA, I-95 in Philadelphia, cross the WWB, use NJ I-76, when they can bypass all of it.  Nor should they even consider it just because NJ didn't properly connect I-295 to NJ-42.
WHEN THE TIMES ARE COMPARABLE. I'm sorry, are you even trying to read or are you just arguing because you can't stand being wrong?

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on October 09, 2018, 08:43:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2018, 10:49:04 AM
95 to 76 doesn't have a missing connection.  76 to 95 does, which is why I didn't mention it.  I can't answer your question of why suggest it as an alternate when it has a missing connection BECAUSE I DIDN'T SUGGEST IT.
While you keep claiming the 95 to 76 connection isn't comparable, it comes up on Google Maps as an option when the times are very comparable.   
WHEN THE TIMES ARE COMPARABLE. I'm sorry, are you even trying to read or are you just arguing because you can't stand being wrong?

Wrong about what?  Your post is incoherent.  My experience with Google Maps is that sometimes they account for traffic problems and sometimes they don't.  I'm not going to drive thru PHILADELPHIA if I don't need to.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

KEVIN_224

Maybe this was already asked (I'm not 100% sure.): When and if the next movements (ramps?) get built at the new interchange, which ones will be built next? As an example...

1- Pennsylvania Turnpike East to I-95 south
2- I-95 South to I-295 East/North
(etc...)

roadman65

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 09, 2018, 06:37:46 PM
Curiously, even though Google Maps now shows the I-95 connectors, it does not show the traffic on them.

Probably it takes a while to get the system adjusted to the fact a new road is open. :D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 09, 2018, 10:38:38 PM
Maybe this was already asked (I'm not 100% sure.): When and if the next movements (ramps?) get built at the new interchange, which ones will be built next? As an example...

The northeast quadrant is the next most major movement pair, as it is a missing link in the freeway loop around Trenton --
https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/section-d30-d40.aspx

The remaining two quadrants have considerably lower needs/priority.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

(etc...)

Hopefully the remaining 6.

Of those, I think both the 95 North to 276 West and 276 East to 95 South movements, along with 295 West to 276 West and 276 East to 295 East movements, are equally important. The former will help traffic get to areas due North of Philly where there's not convenient highway access currently. The latter will help move traffic from eastern Bucks County and some of the western NJ counties towards the PA Turnpike.

famartin

Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2018, 10:57:53 PM

The northeast quadrant is the next most major movement pair, as it is a missing link in the freeway loop around Trenton --

That loop would be much more effective if 295 connected to the Penn Turnpike extension in NJ. That probably will never happen, it's even less likely than a NJTP/42 interchange.

Alps

(etc...)
All of them will be built at once in the next contract.

Beltway

Quote from: famartin on October 09, 2018, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 09, 2018, 10:57:53 PM
That loop would be much more effective if 295 connected to the Penn Turnpike extension in NJ.

They would need to build just one quadrant, the northwest quadrant, a pair of ramps, and that could be done without interfering with the mainline NJTP.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/N19nDZNogxT2
I see the US 13 interchange new signs omit the Delaware Valley name on top of the sign now.

Is that just for I-95 or is the whole turnpike going to start omitting the interchange names that have been on top for well over 30 years?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

So the northeast quadrant...I-95 South to I-295 East/North? Correct?

Here in central Connecticut, one part of a beltway around Hartford which never got built (BUT SHOULD!) was from the current stack interchange of I-84/CT Route 9 in Farmington to the interchange of I-91/I-291 in Windsor. That would take a ton of traffic of the Aetna Viaduct, which is I-84 from Exit 46 to 48A in Hartford. It would also help those heading to Bradley Airport from the south and west. (BUT...I-84 has been complete through Connecticut for years, unlike I-95 in PA until now!)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 09, 2018, 10:59:43 PM

(etc...)

Hopefully the remaining 6.

Of those, I think both the 95 North to 276 West and 276 East to 95 South movements, along with 295 West to 276 West and 276 East to 295 East movements, are equally important. The former will help traffic get to areas due North of Philly where there's not convenient highway access currently. The latter will help move traffic from eastern Bucks County and some of the western NJ counties towards the PA Turnpike.
As Alps notes, they will all be built at once, but I agree with J&N at least on the importance of the SW quadrant (95N to 276W and vice versa), which would complete a beltway around Philly via 95 and also provide better access to and from the northern suburbs.  The NW quadrant is served via US1 right now, which is more or less a freeway connection.  I'm not so sure of the critical importance of the "Trenton Beltway" via the NE quadrant, especially without direct connectivity to 295 on the Jersey side.  Drivers on the NJTP south at least could probably just as well continue to use 195-29-1 or 95/276 to 13 or 1 to get to eastern Bucks County.  Of course I want to see all ramps done ASAP though...

qguy

Quote from: roadman65 on October 09, 2018, 11:27:29 PM
I see the US 13 interchange new signs omit the Delaware Valley name on top of the sign now.

Is that just for I-95 or is the whole turnpike going to start omitting the interchange names that have been on top for well over 30 years?

Just for I-95. All of the "legacy" exits within the ticket system seem to be retaining their names.

A pseudo-exception is the PA 29 exit. When it was completed a few years ago, it wasn't given a name, so it has no name to lose. And I believe the Virginia Drive exit no longer has a name. But those aren't legacy exits.

Beltway

Quote from: qguy on October 10, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
A pseudo-exception is the PA 29 exit. When it was completed a few years ago, it wasn't given a name, so it has no name to lose.

They could call it Devault.

The signs use the control cities Phoenixville and Malvern.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

odditude

Quote from: famartin on October 09, 2018, 05:13:44 PM

Philadelphia is on a supplementary sign for Exit 3 NB and Exit 4 SB. (it's difficult to see clearly in this imagery; once you get closer, the blurring applied to the logo sign panel behind this sign masks out the text.)

also, who thought nighttime Street View imagery is in any way useful?!

PHLBOS

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2018, 11:22:15 AM
For grins & giggles, I went to Google Maps to see what routing choices I would get if I entered a Newark, DE to Atlantic City trip.  Here were the two generated choices: one of them was indeed involves using I-95 into South Philly and then taking I-76 East along the Walt Whitman Bridge.
The reverse trip gave me three routing choices: the opposite of the two previous routings plus one that uses the NJ Turnpike (exiting off NJ 42 & using NJ 168/Black Horse Pike to enter the Turnpike at Exit 3).

You still don't seem to understand.  Most people know well enough not to blindly follow mapping software, that it can be wrong or else not account for peak hours traffic.

Someone from outside the area, from the southerly I-95 corridor, who does not know the Philadelphia area, that wants to get to Atlantic City, Ocean City, etc. is going to look at a map (paper or electronic) and they are not going to go thru a city as large as Philadelphia.

In the days before Google Maps & GPS systems; I would be more inclined to agree (I'm a paper road map/atlas user myself but do use Google Maps for estimated travel times and detailed street information not available on most paper maps).  However, I have seen & known many GPS users (many of whom are my age & older) over the last few years to have:

1.  Driven from Pittsburgh to Florida by way of Washington, DC without any intent of stopping over there (DC).  She posted such on Facebook and got rebuked by her mother (on FB) for not looking at an overall road map beforehand (hear-hear).

2.  Use US 322 all the way from South Jersey to Lititz, PA (in Lancaster County) & wondered why it took him so long to get there (this was before Waze existed & there were no known issues with the various freeways).

3.  While meeting me at a gathering north of Doylestown, PA; my friend's navigation system in his vehicle (a 2013 Chevy Equinox) wasn't yet updated to include the then recently-opened US 202 Parkway and called me on his cell phone stating that such didn't exist.  I tried to tell him that such was indeed there (signs were present) & open to traffic but no avail.

4.  Following my Feb. 13, 2016 car accident, a friend taking myself & my passenger from Abington Hospital (he was released after two hours of examination, he bore the brunt of the 2nd impact & sustained internal injuries) to our originally-planned destination in Ambler kept making these ridiculous turns on and off Susquehanna Rd. because his GPS was directing him to do such (to avoid traffic lights, not a real issue for a Saturday night) when all he needed to do was just stay on Susquehanna Rd. to get from Abington to Ambler.  Had I taken my street map of the area out of my car at the time; I would've told the driver that he did not need to meander off-and-on the main road.

And I won't go into the number of times trucks (& even busses) have blindly used vehicle-height-restricted roadways (like the various parkways in the NYC area as well as Storrow Drive/Soldiers Field Road in Boston) despite the various prohibition signs & devices out there.  Many of these more-recent offenders likely used an off-the-shelf GPS rather than one specifically set-up for trucks to filter out those roadways.

Bottom line: if one's navigation system directs an AC-bound traveler from Delaware/points south to use I-95 to I-76 (due to either accident, construction or peak-travel-related delays on either the Delaware Memorial Bridge or on the NJ side of such), they're more likely to use such.  Not everybody out there is either geographically or road savvy as those here on this site.

Just for I-95. All of the "legacy" exits within the ticket system seem to be retaining their names.

A pseudo-exception is the PA 29 exit. When it was completed a few years ago, it wasn't given a name, so it has no name to lose. And I believe the Virginia Drive exit no longer has a name. But those aren't legacy exits.
All of the newer E-ZPass Only interchanges within the legacy-ticketed system do not feature separate names.  Examples, aside from the fore-mentioned PA 29 (Exit 320 off I-76), include Virginia Drive (Exit 340 off I-276 westbound), PA 132 (Exit 352 off I-276 eastbound) & the more-recent PA 903 (Exit 87 off I-476).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 09:45:39 AM

All of the newer E-ZPass Only interchanges within the legacy-ticketed system do not feature separate names.  Examples, aside from the fore-mentioned PA 29 (Exit 320 off I-76), include Virginia Drive (Exit 340 off I-276 westbound), PA 132 (Exit 352 off I-276 eastbound) & the more-recent PA 903 (Exit 87 off I-476).

Though I notice that the first exits cut off from the ticket system kept their names: New Castle, Beaver Valley, and Cranberry on the mainline and Wyoming Valley, Keyser Avenue (which was never an original ticket system interchange) and Clarks Summit on the Northeast Extension. This seems to be a holdover and not their current practice. These interchange names may not survive the next wave of sign replacements. (All of their signs were replaced recently enough that they're probably in no hurry.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 10, 2018, 11:07:56 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 09:45:39 AM

Though I notice that the first exits cut off from the ticket system kept their names: New Castle, Beaver Valley, and Cranberry on the mainline and Wyoming Valley, Keyser Avenue (which was never an original ticket system interchange) and Clarks Summit on the Northeast Extension. This seems to be a holdover and not their current practice. These interchange names may not survive the next wave of sign replacements. (All of their signs were replaced recently enough that they're probably in no hurry.)

Those interchanges also weren't on a portion of the Turnpike which received an entirely new route designation and exit numbering.  As noted upthread, it's now entirely possible someone on the PA Turnpike's I-95 won't even be aware they're on the PA Turnpike.

It could also be similar to the fate that befell the NJ Turnpike and their BGSs:  Interchange names aren't MUTCD-friendly.  While that next sign replacement project you mentioned may change things, the PA Turnpike also has the interchange names on their toll tickets, so there would need to be some additional changes made if the interchange names came off the BGSs approaching the exits.

famartin

Quote from: odditude on October 10, 2018, 07:38:35 AM
Quote from: famartin on October 09, 2018, 05:13:44 PM

Philadelphia is on a supplementary sign for Exit 3 NB and Exit 4 SB. (it's difficult to see clearly in this imagery; once you get closer, the blurring applied to the logo sign panel behind this sign masks out the text.)

also, who thought nighttime Street View imagery is in any way useful?!
No, the supplementary panels for Exit 4 have been removed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.