News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 11, 2016, 06:41:51 PM
I think it should be signed as East-West in New Jersey as well, all the way to Exit 60.

Why? It runs on a NNE route between Exit 60 & 67. For the most part, based on your statement, 295 East would run westward much of that stretch and 295 West would veer eastward.

vdeane

Quote from: briantroutman on November 11, 2016, 06:26:02 PM
The PA section is slated to be designated E-W (eastbound toward Princeton, westbound toward Philadelphia).

https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/95completion-redesignation.aspx
The route is entirely north-south in PA, so that's not logical.  If they insist on using I-295, it should be N-S in PA and E-W in NJ to US 1.  IMO the direction issue is a good case for why they should have kept with the I-195 extension plan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

odditude

Quote from: vdeane on November 11, 2016, 11:06:53 PM
The PA section is slated to be designated E-W (eastbound toward Princeton, westbound toward Philadelphia).

The route is entirely north-south in PA, so that's not logical.  If they insist on using I-295, it should be N-S in PA and E-W in NJ to US 1.  IMO the direction issue is a good case for why they should have kept with the I-195 extension plan.
i agree with you regarding I-295's directions, but never liked the I-195 extension idea.

cpzilliacus

I would have preferred the I-195 designation myself, even though that version of I-195 would have had two interchanges with  I-95.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SignBridge

LOL Didn't we have this very same controversial discussion a few months back in these pages?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on November 12, 2016, 09:19:06 AM

i agree with you regarding I-295's directions, but never liked the I-195 extension idea.

Agreed. Most people don't care for a highway continuation that involves ramps, so creating one via a renumbering involving a 25 mph ramp isn't ideal, nor even necessary.

cpzilliacus

The slow, slower and slowest progress by contractors working for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to close the I-95 gap (and at least allow traffic from northbound I-95 (Delaware Expressway) to flow to the eastbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike (presently I-276); and from westbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike to southbound Delaware Expressway) continues.

Photographs taken by me on Sunday, November 13, 2016 at the site of the project (hosted on Facebook - you do not need an account there to see these).

I-95 at Pennsylvania Turnpike gap closure project

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignBridge on November 12, 2016, 08:19:17 PM
LOL Didn't we have this very same controversial discussion a few months back in these pages?
We did. 

I still stand by my earlier recommendation that I-95 between the PA Turnpike and US 1 in NJ (Exit 67) be redesignated as I-695.  Such would be north-south in PA, east-west in NJ.

Such would minimize changes on the NJ side (interchange numbering/mile markers remain as is; route number & cardinal directions change)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 14, 2016, 01:45:24 AM
The slow, slower and slowest progress by contractors working for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to close the I-95 gap (and at least allow traffic from northbound I-95 (Delaware Expressway) to flow to the eastbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike (presently I-276); and from westbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike to southbound Delaware Expressway continues.

Photographs taken by me on Sunday, November 13, 2016 at the site of the project (hosted on Facebook - you do not need an account there to see these).

To be fair, this is the schedule the PA Turnpike has them on.  It's like they get a $20 allowance a week to work on something...spend it wisely!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 14, 2016, 09:01:50 AM
To be fair, this is the schedule the PA Turnpike has them on.  It's like they get a $20 allowance a week to work on something...spend it wisely!

That's correct.  I suggested to someone else (on Facebook) that asked why  this is taking so long the following explanations:

(1) the Act 44/Act 69 mandated hemmorage of cash from the Turnpike Commission to SEPTA, the Port Authority of Allegheny County and other Pennsylvania transit providers; and

(2) I speculate that PTC resents being forced to provide a high-speed breezewoodless connection to a crossing PennDOT-maintained-freeway.

SignBridge

I don't understand why your reason #2 is such an issue with the PTC. The NY Thruway, NJ Turnpike and Massachusetts Tpk. Authorities all built interchanges with toll-free interstate highways with no problem from day one. This only seems to be a stumbling block in Pennsylvania.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 14, 2016, 08:25:27 PM
I don't understand why your reason #2 is such an issue with the PTC. The NY Thruway, NJ Turnpike and Massachusetts Tpk. Authorities all built interchanges with toll-free interstate highways with no problem from day one. This only seems to be a stumbling block in Pennsylvania.

You do know that there were a couple of long-lasting Breezewoods in New York, right? It took until the last decade to take care of the Exit 17 connection. I have no idea who funded that one or the Exit 39.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

Agreed, those situations did exist. But I'm not really talking about Breezewood's where you can at least go from one road to another, indirectly. I'm talking about locations like the Pa. Tpk./I-95 where there is no real way to connect between the two roads.  Taking U.S.13 doesn't cut it in my opinion. In the three states I named, there are countless interchanges between the toll-roads, and the toll-free Interstates. Again I say, it only seems to be a problem for the friggin' Penn. Tpk. Commission!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on November 14, 2016, 09:51:25 PM
Agreed, those situations did exist. But I'm not really talking about Breezewood's where you can at least go from one road to another, indirectly. I'm talking about locations like the Pa. Tpk./I-95 where there is no real way to connect between the two roads.  Taking U.S.13 doesn't cut it in my opinion. In the three states I named, there are countless interchanges between the toll-roads, and the toll-free Interstates. Again I say, it only seems to be a problem for the friggin' Penn. Tpk. Commission!

Yeah, they lagged far behind most other states. But they're taking care of it now so it's kind of a moot point.

Alps

NJ Turnpike/NJ 42 is a glaring omission.

vdeane

I-76/OH 11
I-80/I-271
I-80-90/I-475
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

To be fair, one of those Ohio examples would have been quite difficult due to the terrain and unnecessarily expensive given that there are 2 nearby interchanges.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NE2

Quote from: no one ever
The Ohio Turnpike

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2016, 01:03:10 PM
I-76/OH 11
I-80/I-271
I-80-90/I-475
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ekt8750

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2016, 11:55:05 PM

The fact that 295 is right there and the fact that they cross in dense marshland will probably prevent that from ever being built.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 15, 2016, 01:26:52 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2016, 11:55:05 PM

The fact that 295 is right there and the fact that they cross in dense marshland will probably prevent that from ever being built.

The marshland is a big issue.  Actually, the bigger issue is Interchange 3.  The Turnpike I believe is resistant to putting 2 interchanges close together, and many hotels along 168 are there because of the Interchange.  Personally, I think they can keep Interchange 3 and using open land run a parallel road along the NJ Turnpike to get to Rt. 42, but much of that land is marshland...

And even though it doesn't appear close, there's a large development on the southeast side of the intersection where the ramps would come within eyesight of those homes. While there's a fair bit of room, those residents won't like potential ramps coming anywhere near them.

jemacedo9

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 14, 2016, 05:05:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 14, 2016, 09:01:50 AM

That's correct.  I suggested to someone else (on Facebook) that asked why  this is taking so long the following explanations:

(1) the Act 44/Act 69 mandated hemmorage of cash from the Turnpike Commission to SEPTA, the Port Authority of Allegheny County and other Pennsylvania transit providers; and

(2) I speculate that PTC resents being forced to provide a high-speed breezewoodless connection to a crossing PennDOT-maintained-freeway.

(3) MAYBE in addition to (1), there was some coordination with PennDOT to wait for the multiple projects of widening I-95 in NE Phila to be closer to completed, before dumping more traffic into those already-clogged construction zones.  (...and maybe I am giving undue credit...)

And I can't imagine that "loss of toll revenue" is a major concern specifically in this case, as (or because) they've mitigated that somewhat with the increased tolls at the Del River Bridge.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 15, 2016, 02:05:37 PM
The marshland is a big issue.  Actually, the bigger issue is Interchange 3.  The Turnpike I believe is resistant to putting 2 interchanges close together, and many hotels along 168 are there because of the Interchange.  Personally, I think they can keep Interchange 3 and using open land run a parallel road along the NJ Turnpike to get to Rt. 42, but much of that land is marshland...
I doubt exit 3 is an issue.  Otherwise, exits 6 and 7 wouldn't be where they are, nor would exits 15E and 15W, or exit 15X, or the exit to the sports complex.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2016, 05:44:10 PM
I doubt exit 3 is an issue.  Otherwise, exits 6 and 7 wouldn't be where they are, nor would exits 15E and 15W, or exit 15X, or the exit to the sports complex.
Wrong state for this thread. ^_^

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on November 15, 2016, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2016, 05:44:10 PM
Wrong state for this thread. ^_^

Fine...moving to the NJ Turnpike thread...

jcn

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 14, 2016, 01:45:24 AM
The slow, slower and slowest progress by contractors working for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to close the I-95 gap (and at least allow traffic from northbound I-95 (Delaware Expressway) to flow to the eastbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike (presently I-276); and from westbound side of the E-W Mainline of the Turnpike to southbound Delaware Expressway) continues.

It's still on schedule to be complete in 2018, isn't it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.