News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: famartin on June 03, 2019, 04:02:42 PM
Delaware is actually respectful to MD by signing "Baltimore"... they could easily get away with signing "Washington" and thumb their nose at Maryland.

Given the large size of Baltimore city as well as metro, almost that of Washington, and the fact that I-95 goes right thru the city and with a modern design and 8 lanes, it has been the preferred thru route since it was completed in 1985, so it would be hard for them to ignore "Baltimore" as a I-95 control city.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2019, 04:17:26 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 03, 2019, 02:26:50 PM
The I-95/PA Turnpike interchange project has remaining phases still to be constructed, and one is vital to providing a modern I-95 route, namely the parallel Delaware River bridge and the approach widening to 6 thru lanes.  With only 4 lanes across the river it can be questioned whether an adequate highway yet exists to handle both local and long distance I-95 traffic.
It's adequate in normal day to day travel...and experiences less congestion than many 6 and 8 lane highways, especially during rush hour. 

True, but when it comes to capacity and high-speed design and minimal interchange friction, the DMB and NJTP (which has I-295 as a local access and relief route) beats it hands down as a preferred route.  The parallel bridge project will increase the capacity and competitiveness.

Back to Baltimore, it doesn't have a competitive freeway bypass of I-95.  The Beltway provides local relief but is longer, 15 miles to the west and 12 miles to the east.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

famartin

Quote from: Beltway on June 03, 2019, 07:19:58 PM
Quote from: famartin on June 03, 2019, 04:02:42 PM
Delaware is actually respectful to MD by signing "Baltimore"... they could easily get away with signing "Washington" and thumb their nose at Maryland.

Given the large size of Baltimore city as well as metro, almost that of Washington, and the fact that I-95 goes right thru the city and with a modern design and 8 lanes, it has been the preferred thru route since it was completed in 1985, so it would be hard for them to ignore "Baltimore" as a I-95 control city.

The I-95/PA Turnpike interchange project has remaining phases still to be constructed, and one is vital to providing a modern I-95 route, namely the parallel Delaware River bridge and the approach widening to 6 thru lanes.  With only 4 lanes across the river it can be questioned whether an adequate highway yet exists to handle both local and long distance I-95 traffic.
It's adequate in normal day to day travel...and experiences less congestion than many 6 and 8 lane highways, especially during rush hour. 

True, but when it comes to capacity and high-speed design and minimal interchange friction, the DMB and NJTP (which has I-295 as a local access and relief route) beats it hands down as a preferred route.  The parallel bridge project will increase the capacity and competitiveness.

Back to Baltimore, it doesn't have a competitive freeway bypass of I-95.  The Beltway provides local relief but is longer, 15 miles to the west and 12 miles to the east.

Per Wikipedia, the Baltimore metro is 2.8 million, while DC metro is 6.2 million.  Not exactly close. Philly is a larger metro, too, though DC is slightly ahead of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Beltway

Quote from: famartin on June 03, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
Per Wikipedia, the Baltimore metro is 2.8 million, while DC metro is 6.2 million.  Not exactly close. Philly is a larger metro, too, though DC is slightly ahead of it.

Point acknowledged, but 2.8 million puts it in the category of a "large metro area".  Baltimore has more of an industrial base, plus a major port that handles ocean-going cargo ships.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

One could say I-895 is another option. Google says it's 1 minute faster with no traffic and 1 mile shorter and avoids Downtown. Granted, it's not as well designed as I-95 though, less lanes, narrower, etc.

Or I-695 to I-97 to US-50 to I-495. A few minutes longer, though avoids a good portion of I-95.

ixnay

Quote from: Flyer78 on June 03, 2019, 08:26:32 AM
Quote from: ixnay on June 03, 2019, 08:05:24 AM

Is maintenance of the Tydings Bridge and maybe its toll plaza the only recipient of toll revenue on the JFK Highway (besides MdTA employees)?

ixnay

That is just the toll-point for the JFK Highway. They still maintain about 50 miles of 95. Also, the tunnels. And more.

Including signage, or is that, as mrsman hints, the SHA's responsibility?

ixnay

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 03, 2019, 08:21:58 PM
One could say I-895 is another option. Google says it's 1 minute faster with no traffic and 1 mile shorter and avoids Downtown. Granted, it's not as well designed as I-95 though, less lanes, narrower, etc.

The analysis was about control cities on I-95.  I tend to see the function of I-895 as an Alt. I-95. 

Google says it is 4 minutes faster to use the B-W Parkway and DC-201 and I-295 to I-95/I-495.  That might not work too well in rush hours.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 03, 2019, 08:21:58 PM
Or I-695 to I-97 to US-50 to I-495. A few minutes longer, though avoids a good portion of I-95.

Google said 9 miles and 10 minutes longer.  I see a route like that as an emergency alternate to I-95.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on June 03, 2019, 07:45:08 PM
Quote from: famartin on June 03, 2019, 07:32:18 PM

Point acknowledged, but 2.8 million puts it in the category of a "large metro area".  Baltimore has more of an industrial base, plus a major port that handles ocean-going cargo ships.
Wow NY-Newark is the biggest Metro in the U.S. I thought LA woulda took the cake.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Not really. You're basing your entire qualification on that it's a 4 lane bridge, ignoring the more important issue of traffic volumes and capacity along the entire corridor.

The NJ Turnpike to the Del. Mem. Bridge is preferable because it's a shorter distance and overall faster.  That's not going to change regardless if the NJ-PA Turnpike connector bridge is 4 lanes or 40 lanes.

The NJ Turnpike has capacity issues during peak travel times due to only having 4 lanes total South of Exit 4 on the Turnpike and a small section of 295 in Delaware. 

95 in PA has capacity issues approaching Philly where is 6 and 8 lanes wide, South of Philly approaching 476 where it's only 2 lanes wide in each direction thru the interchange, and thru Chester where it's 6 lanes wide and 322 briefly multiplexes with 95.

95 needs so much work to be competitive for thru traffic that it will never actually be competitive, unless it manages to find a way to shave 5 miles off its route and have a speed limit 10mph higher than the NJ Turnpike.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2019, 10:09:39 PM

Not really. You're basing your entire qualification on that it's a 4 lane bridge, ignoring the more important issue of traffic volumes and capacity along the entire corridor.

The NJ Turnpike to the Del. Mem. Bridge is preferable because it's a shorter distance and overall faster.  That's not going to change regardless if the NJ-PA Turnpike connector bridge is 4 lanes or 40 lanes.

The NJ Turnpike has capacity issues during peak travel times due to only having 4 lanes total South of Exit 4 on the Turnpike and a small section of 295 in Delaware. 

95 in PA has capacity issues approaching Philly where is 6 and 8 lanes wide, South of Philly approaching 476 where it's only 2 lanes wide in each direction thru the interchange, and thru Chester where it's 6 lanes wide and 322 briefly multiplexes with 95.

95 needs so much work to be competitive for thru traffic that it will never actually be competitive, unless it manages to find a way to shave 5 miles off its route and have a speed limit 10mph higher than the NJ Turnpike.
Will it be financially possible for I-95 to be redone from Delaware state line to Girard Ave?

Also even with the new 295 Construction finally completed in Delaware the backup still occurs. Interesting

iPhone

famartin

Quote from: Tonytone on June 03, 2019, 10:16:20 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2019, 10:09:39 PM

Will it be financially possible for I-95 to be redone from Delaware state line to Girard Ave?

Also even with the new 295 Construction finally completed in Delaware the backup still occurs. Interesting

iPhone

It still squeezes all traffic to/from 95 into two lanes. Not enough at peak long distance travel times. It's fine on average week days.

jeffandnicole

It is financially possible.  Just over time...meaning a few decades.

Quote from: famartin on June 03, 2019, 10:36:13 PM

iPhone
It still squeezes all traffic to/from 95 into two lanes. Not enough at peak long distance travel times. It's fine on average week days.

Basically, what we have here are pinch points. 

On a micro-level, we have the NJ Turnpike and I-295 from NJ, both 2 lanes wide, merging into 4 lanes across the Delaware.  Everything is fine.  Once in Delaware, the majority of traffic is heading towards I-95 South.  Since 295 was widened to 3 lanes at the 13/40 interchange, it continues to move fairly well.  However, once you get to the curve into 95 South, it merges down to 2 lanes.  Even though this 2 lane stretch is less than 1/2 mile in length now, it's a pinch point that will back traffic up.  To confound the issue, the traffic used to keep to the left two lanes.  Now the left lane is an Exit Only lane for 141 North, which will be inviting confusion and merging, and the associated slowdowns that come with that.

I'm not sure why, at the 13/40 split, they didn't use the right-center lane as an option lane, rather than forcing all 13/40 traffic to use the right lane.  It does seem to flow well there though the few times I've been thru there since the construction was completed.

jeffandnicole

On a Macro-level, review the I-95 Corridor from NYC to Baltimore from North to South.  Because of the highway options closer to NYC, I'll start at Exit 10 (287/440) of the NJ Turnpike heading south.  You have 12 lanes of traffic there.  Once you get to Exit 7A of the NJ Turnpike, the corridor actually widens - 12 lanes of the Turnpike and 6 lanes of I-295.  At Exit 6 of the NJ Turnpike, now it really widens...you have 12 lanes of the NJ Turnpike (briefly), generally 6 lanes of I-295, and generally 6 lanes of I-95 with a few 4 and 8 lane sections thrown in.  In a fairly narrow area, you basically have 24 lanes of limited access, North-South freeway.  If there's an issue on one roadway, the other 2 roadways can help absorb rerouted traffic.    Shortly after that the Turnpike narrows to 6 lanes, but still, there's 18 lanes of traffic available in the corridor, often enough to handle much of the traffic.

However, once you get below Routes 73 in PA & NJ, now it thickens up a bit. You have 4 lanes on the NJ Turnpike.  6 lanes continue on 295, and 6 - 8 lanes generally on I-95.  It's still about 16 - 18 lanes, but it's a crowded area of the corridor.  As you move south of Philly, especially below 322 , now you eventually have 4 lanes on the NJ Turnpike, 4 lanes on 295 and 6 lanes on I-95.  It's a bit more narrow with 14 lanes, but less city traffic so traffic moves ok generally. 

Further south, around the Delaware State line and across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, it widens up again:  4 lanes on the NJ Turnpike, 4 lanes on 295,  generally only 4 lanes on I-95, but 6 lanes on I-495.  We're back up to 18 lanes in total to move traffic. 

But now as we approach the Churchman's Marsh area in Delaware, we've now reached a severe pinch point:  Those 18 lanes quickly funnel into 10 lanes on I-95.  There's no other options or bypasses in the immediate corridor.  In order to facilitate that, traffic on 95, 495 and 295 all need to merge down...and that's why you have the congestion in the area.  It's worse even further south...8 lanes on 95, then in Maryland, 6 lanes on 95 before widening back to 8, then wider when you consider 695 and 895 near Baltimore. 

And none of this includes other North-South options in the immediate corridor areas, which include US 1, 13, 40 and 130.

Now, you may not think of all these roads as one network, and you may immediately think of 95 in Philly as a completely separate corridor from the NJ Turnpike, especially because of the river and that we're talking 2 different states.  But if I were to draw a map on paper of just roads - removing land features and borders, you would see how extensive the corridor is on a macro level in this region.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2019, 08:22:55 AM

iPhone

On a micro-level, we have the NJ Turnpike and I-295 from NJ, both 2 lanes wide, merging into 4 lanes across the Delaware.  Everything is fine.  Once in Delaware, the majority of traffic is heading towards I-95 South.  Since 295 was widened to 3 lanes at the 13/40 interchange, it continues to move fairly well.  However, once you get to the curve into 95 South, it merges down to 2 lanes.  Even though this 2 lane stretch is less than 1/2 mile in length now, it's a pinch point that will back traffic up.  To confound the issue, the traffic used to keep to the left two lanes.  Now the left lane is an Exit Only lane for 141 North, which will be inviting confusion and merging, and the associated slowdowns that come with that.

I'm not sure why, at the 13/40 split, they didn't use the right-center lane as an option lane, rather than forcing all 13/40 traffic to use the right lane.  It does seem to flow well there though the few times I've been thru there since the construction was completed.

Yes I understand it will take decades to rebuild 95 from Girard Ave to the Delaware State line, but thats unfeasible, you're telling me when Im 60 years old I will finally see a free flowing 95? In that case point me in the direction of DOT because ill work hard to get our area highways up to speed.

The problem I've noticed & someone has said before is the fact that 295 merges on the left side of 95. Then the fact of 141 merging on the right side of 95 does not help. So now we have 3 lanes of traffic trying to merge to 5. They fixed the 495 Merge but that doesn't help anything unless they fix the 141 merge which is causing all the problems. What they need to do/ should have did was combine the 3 ramps & put 295 on the right with the 141 side & that would have stopped 50% of the problems.

Looking at it now the only way to fix the 141 Merge issue is to give it, its own lane or increase the merge pass the salt house in order to increase the distance between all that traffic trying to merge in the same area.

I assume Delaware is working on these plans already & we will be presented with a workshop soon.

iPhone

Beltway

I would partly disagree.  True that I-295 NB and SB is 2 lanes each way where it merges into I-95 South.  But the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange distributes traffic to and from I-95 North and I-495 as well.

I-295 SB splits into 2 lanes to I-95 South, one lane to I-95 North, and one lane to I-495.  Based on that, I would not call that part of I-295 SB to be a "pinch point".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on June 04, 2019, 10:33:24 AM

iPhone

Yes I understand it will take decades to rebuild 95 from Girard Ave to the Delaware State line, but thats unfeasible, you're telling me when Im 60 years old I will finally see a free flowing 95? In that case point me in the direction of DOT because ill work hard to get our area highways up to speed.

Oh, no...I'm not saying it'll ever truly be free-flowing in certain areas!  However, once they get the 322 East onto 95 North merge moved over from the left to the right, that will significantly help Northbound traffic in that area.   Unfortunately that's many years away.

If they gave Southbound traffic a 4th lane where 95/322 co-exist, it would assist with traffic there.  Without even a shoulder being available for a short distance, they can't get that 4th lane in.

Quote from: Tonytone on June 04, 2019, 10:33:24 AM
The problem I've noticed & someone has said before is the fact that 295 merges on the left side of 95. Then the fact of 141 merging on the right side of 95 does not help. So now we have 3 lanes of traffic trying to merge to 5. They fixed the 495 Merge but that doesn't help anything unless they fix the 141 merge which is causing all the problems. What they need to do/ should have did was combine the 3 ramps & put 295 on the right with the 141 side & that would have stopped 50% of the problems.

Looking at it now the only way to fix the 141 Merge issue is to give it, its own lane or increase the merge pass the salt house in order to increase the distance between all that traffic trying to merge in the same area.

I assume Delaware is working on these plans already & we will be presented with a workshop soon.

It certainly doesn't help matters that the 141 interchange is there.  It's monumentally better than when 95 was only 4 lanes beyond the salt house though.  That said, I'm unaware of any plans for DelDOT to rearrange the ramp locations or change the merging points, especially as they just did a 95/141 project to replace and widen the overpasses.

Quote from: Beltway on June 04, 2019, 11:49:16 AM

I would partly disagree.  True that I-295 NB and SB is 2 lanes each way where it merges into I-95 South.  But the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange distributes traffic to and from I-95 North and I-495 as well.

I-295 SB splits into 2 lanes to I-95 South, one lane to I-95 North, and one lane to I-495.  Based on that, I would not call that part of I-295 SB to be a "pinch point".

That would be true if 50% of the traffic went to 95 South, 25% went to 95 North and 25% went to 495 North.  And during the weekday morning rush, that isn't too far from the truth.  Evening, weekend and holiday traffic however is heavily flowing from 295 South to 95 South...probably greater than 80% of the traffic on 295 South is headed that way.  So when maybe 20% of the traffic flow is only going to 95 North and 495 North, it overloads the 95 South access. And when 95 South itself is already backed up, the back up just flows back onto 295.

And this doesn't even consider 141 traffic, which now has its own lane thru the area!

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2019, 12:16:46 PM
True that I-295 NB and SB is 2 lanes each way where it merges into I-95 South.  But the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange distributes traffic to and from I-95 North and I-495 as well.
That would be true if 50% of the traffic went to 95 South, 25% went to 95 North and 25% went to 495 North.  And during the weekday morning rush, that isn't too far from the truth.  Evening, weekend and holiday traffic however is heavily flowing from 295 South to 95 South...probably greater than 80% of the traffic on 295 South is headed that way.  So when maybe 20% of the traffic flow is only going to 95 North and 495 North, it overloads the 95 South access. And when 95 South itself is already backed up, the back up just flows back onto 295.

Are you sure about those patterns?  Lots of evening, weekend and holiday traffic utilizes I-95 and I-495 to the north as well, and southbound you have 2 lanes from I-95, one lane from I-495, and 2 lanes from I-295, merging into 5 lanes on I-95 South.  A third lane on the I-295 ramp wouldn't fit into the overall design of that complex.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on June 04, 2019, 12:36:23 PM
True that I-295 NB and SB is 2 lanes each way where it merges into I-95 South.  But the I-95/I-295/I-495 interchange distributes traffic to and from I-95 North and I-495 as well.

Are you sure about those patterns?  Lots of evening, weekend and holiday traffic utilizes I-95 and I-495 to the north as well, and southbound you have 2 lanes from I-95, one lane from I-495, and 2 lanes from I-295, merging into 5 lanes on I-95 South.  A third lane on the I-295 ramp wouldn't fit into the overall design of that complex.

Coming from NJ, traffic is heading south - especially vacationing traffic. That traffic generally has no reason to head back north.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2019, 01:05:03 PM

Coming from NJ, traffic is heading south - especially vacationing traffic. That traffic generally has no reason to head back north.

personal experience shows that, post completion of construction, traffic slows significantly at I-295 S to I-95 S transition during weekends/holidays.

Tonytone

What is really the issue with this area? Is it because they're too many merging highways & little improvement to the roads? The traffic flows nice on these roads after rush hour times & Regular days, but for the roads to literally fail when its rush hour or holidays is pretty shitty.

For the amount of people in the area( Living & Traveling) from the Delaware 1 alll the way too lets say Girard Ave like Ive mentioned above this whole area in my holy opinion in order for jt to move smoothly would need the 3-3-3-3 configuration like NJ. Our area is too traveled & big for it not to be like that, at this point.

iPhone

famartin

Quote from: Tonytone on June 04, 2019, 03:38:16 PM
What is really the issue with this area? Is it because they're too many merging highways & little improvement to the roads? The traffic flows nice on these roads after rush hour times & Regular days, but for the roads to literally fail when its rush hour or holidays is pretty shitty.

For the amount of people in the area( Living & Traveling) from the Delaware 1 alll the way too lets say Girard Ave like Ive mentioned above this whole area in my holy opinion in order for jt to move smoothly would need the 3-3-3-3 configuration like NJ. Our area is too traveled & big for it not to be like that, at this point.

iPhone

Yes, that's exactly what I have been thinking.  At least between I-295/I-495 and DE 1.

jaip

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 03, 2019, 09:20:54 AM
Quote from: jaip on June 01, 2019, 08:45:04 AM
I am long time follower of AA roads. This is my first post! Here is the reply I got from MdTA several months back regarding I-95 N signs. I guess they will not change signs despite completion of interchange.

We appreciate your interest in our facilities. Guide sign destinations are an important part of our freeway navigational system, which provides unfamiliar motorists with destinations and landmarks as directional guidance.  As a result, guide sign destinations are used at numerous locations along an Interstate Highway, including along approach roadways and at key decision points along the length of the roadway.

Within Maryland, I-95 northbound is signed using the destination "NEW YORK" for guide signs along the I-95 Mainline and approach roadways between Caton Avenue (Exit 50) and the Delaware State Line.  This provides a clear and consistent message for all motorists regarding the northbound route destination.  When northbound motorists reach Delaware they are provided with guidance to take I-95 North to reach "PHILADELPHIA" and I-295/The NJ Turnpike to reach "NY-NJ".

Using "NEW YORK" as the guide sign destination clearly captures all north bound motorists regardless of their ultimate destination without presenting information which could confuse motorists destined for an interim destination.  It also maintains consistency with signing along all approach roadways and in adjacent jurisdictions.

Federal regulations limit the number of destinations which can be shown on guide signs to two per sign, which allows the display of one destination in each direction (i.e. New York and Washington, DC).  Adding additional destinations causes confusion for motorists at a time when they are processing significant amounts of information as part of the driving task.

We appreciate your concern of the signing message; however, we are unable to accommodate your request at this time.
In your letter to MdTA; were you asking about the listing of Philadelphia, Wilmington or both?  Had the suggestion in your letter been for just Wilmington; the above-argument in MdTA's response falls flat because Wilmington, though not as large as Philly or NYC, is the next major/medium-sized city (& Delaware's largest city) along the I-95 corridor north of Baltimore.

In my initial email I asked Philly, but in follow up email I asked both. Anyway, looks like it's not going to happen. Thanks.

jaip

Went to EWR today. No new i95 signs on NJTP.

Alps

You're not even from the area, and you're questioning someone who is. I think you raised that argument at me before.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on June 07, 2019, 12:13:28 AM
You're not even from the area, and you're questioning someone who is. I think you raised that argument at me before.

I have lived in the area, and I travel there.  Look at a satellite view if you need to see the interchange layout.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on June 07, 2019, 12:51:49 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 07, 2019, 12:13:28 AM

I have lived in the area, and I travel there.  Look at a satellite view if you need to see the interchange layout.

What does the interchange layout have to do with traffic flow on the weekend?

Also, it *is* 3 lanes wide now on 295 South after the ramp for I-95 North.  The left-most lane is an exit-only lane for 141 North.  They could easily extend that lane onto I-95 South, but would need to reconstruct and widen the Rt. 141 overpass, then have either the left lane from 295 or the right lane from 95 merge down.  DelDOT, in their reconstruction of 141 over 95 North, did reconstruct the overpass in a way to allow for a 3rd Northbound lane onto 295 North, so the idea of 3 lanes to/from 295 isn't completely foreign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.