News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

If they lose Sunday, the Patriots will be only 5-5 in Super Bowls. That's quite mediocre :-/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

english si

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2018, 10:47:20 PMthe Cheatriots
Surely the team from Foxborough are the Cheetahs? cf Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions.  :-P

I can't be bothered to stay up this year - when the match starts at half 11, and you've had a legit late night the night before (like I will tonight), there's excuses, but the fact of it is I just can't stand the teams. It would be great to watch Brady hopefully get beat*, but by the Eagles? Nah, not worth the effort - if it were some other team, probably, but I can't get interested about Cheetahs-Eagles.

*last year was great - he got sacked lots and they were losing big. Then sadly as I was nodding off in the small hours I had a nightmare that they started playing well, Brady was being praised as the greatest, and the Cheetahs won the trophy. Sadly I wasn't quite asleep.

CNGL-Leudimin

Like most people, tomorrow I'm rooting against the PatRiots, and thus for the Eagles.

BTW, I've "fixed" the subject title :sombrero:. The "futbol chatter" thread will be "fixed" to "Association football" next time I post there :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 03, 2018, 04:50:32 AM
Like most people, tomorrow I'm rooting against the PatRiots, and thus for the Eagles.

BTW, I've "fixed" the subject title :sombrero:. The "futbol chatter" thread will be "fixed" to "Association football" next time I post there :bigass:.

How about "Soccer aka Association football"? ;)

I spotted that article about safety equipment of North American Football versus Rugby. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-02/nfl-and-problem-government-safety-mandates Btw, they also should had also compare it with Australian Football since they don't play with helmets either.

kurumi

This interchange in New Hampshire is really rubbing it in:

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SectorZ

Alps

That's way too much of a reach, just like Brady enjoys his morning reach-around in the locker room.

kurumi

(For anyone stumped by the US 3 / NH 28 signs, Google "3-28 super bowl".)

Stephane Dumas

Max Rockatansky

Now I'm curious what the Eagles are going to ask for in trade value for Nick Foles.  That's a hell of a story losing the start so far into the season and winning the whole thing anyways.

LM117

Why the fuck is Joe Buck hated so much when Cris Collinsworth did nothing the whole game but cum in his pants every time Brady walked on the field? The commentating booth was nothing but a Pats circle jerk. :ded: The halftime show was their refractory period.

I get that nearly everybody has a favorite team but goddamn, his bias made me want to send my TV to Philly and tell the fans celebrating in downtown to hold my TV in the air after climbing a street pole and yell "fuck Collinsworth!" and smash it like the savages they are.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buck87

The NFC East is now the only NFL Division in which all 4 teams have won a Super Bowl

Stephane Dumas

The Eagles fans celebrations reminds me of the day when the Habs won the Stanley cup in 1986 and 1993.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-05/super-bowl-mayhem-philadelphia-celebrates-fires-looting-and-shooting

Let's wait and see when the Toronto Maple Leafs will win their 1st Stanley cup since 1967 (and expansion teams like St. Louis, Buffalo, Vancouver, Washington still waiting for their very 1st Stanley cup championship). ;)

CNGL-Leudimin

Just like I expected, the Eagles won. They had never won a Super Bowl, and they had not won it all since 1960 (before the Super Bowl was started).
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 04, 2018, 10:24:34 PM
The Eagles had won their 1st Super Bowl championship and the won against the curse of Billy Penn. https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Philadelphia-Eagles-New-England-Patriots-Super-Bowl-LII-472600323.html

No such curse exists after the Phillies won the World Series in 2008. However, there was another curse which they broke, the Lombardi Curse.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

triplemultiplex

Quote from: LM117 on February 05, 2018, 11:41:54 AM
Don't even get me started on the way he handled Ertz's touchdown...

Yeah, what f-in replay was he watching?  What an idiot.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 05, 2018, 12:21:44 PM

*nods*

Ridiculous, and I was rooting for the Pats.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 05, 2018, 12:21:44 PM

"He was going to the ground..."  Bullshit. Ertz caught it and got full control. He established himself as a runner when he turned towards the end zone, and the ball broke the plane.

Roadgeekteen

Super Bowl was trash, Justin Timberpoop was worse. At least they kept Mcdaniels afterwards.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Stephane Dumas

I saw that news via Skyscraperpage forums http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8016757&postcount=16 http://3downnation.com/2017/12/12/atlantic-schooners-name-re-registered/

After years and years of rumors of a CFL team in the Maritimes provinces mainly in Halifax, could we said, this time this is it?
Maritime Football Limited has registered as a business in Nova Scotia and also re-registered for the Atlantic Schooners trademark.

Anthony LeBlanc is listed as the president, CEO and director while Gary Drummond is vice president. They are heading a group that made a pitch to the board of governors for a CFL franchise in Halifax. Part of that proposal was to request a conditional team be awarded in 2018, with games to begin in 2020.

The CFL awarded a conditional franchise to Halifax in 1982 — it was named the Atlantic Schooners — but financing for a stadium never came about. The league played regular-season games in Moncton, N.B., in 2010, 2011 and '13.

The Schooners trademark has been formalized by the Canadian government.

english si

Jags to London has picked up pace - Shahid Khan is in talks with the FA to buy Wembley Stadium for £800 million (it seems odd for US sports team to pay for its stadium...).

Articles from: Sky Sports and BBC Sport.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: english si on April 26, 2018, 09:52:26 AM
Jags to London has picked up pace - Shahid Khan is in talks with the FA to buy Wembley Stadium for £800 million (it seems odd for US sports team to pay for its stadium...).

Articles from: Sky Sports and BBC Sport.

How is this even going to work?  Are the Jags going to be making trans-Atlantic flights every other week?  Will they get their road games grouped together in 2s and 3s and stay in the US in between games?  The other AFC South teams will have to go to London every year.  The novelty probably wears off in a couple years and then it becomes a long trip they have to take every year but other teams only have to take once every few years.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jbnv

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 26, 2018, 12:54:42 PM
How is this even going to work?  Are the Jags going to be making trans-Atlantic flights every other week?  Will they get their road games grouped together in 2s and 3s and stay in the US in between games?  The other AFC South teams will have to go to London every year.  The novelty probably wears off in a couple years and then it becomes a long trip they have to take every year but other teams only have to take once every few years.

If the London team shares a division with 3 other East Coast teams, the travel will be more manageable. London is only 4 or 5 hours ahead of the Eastern Time zone (depending on daylight savings), so it won't be much worse than going to the West Coast (3 hours difference).

Here's a hypothetical realignment of the AFC to accommodate a London-based Jaguars:

Atlantic: New England, London, New York Jets, Baltimore.
Midwest: Buffalo, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh.
South: Houston, Tennessee, Miami, Cincinatti.
West: Los Angeles Chargers, Denver, Oakland, Kansas City. (No change.)

Alternately, consider this alignment:

North: Buffalo,  New England, New York Jets.
Atlantic: Baltimore, Cleveland,  Pittsburgh.
South: Houston, Tennessee, Miami.
West: Los Angeles Chargers, Denver, Oakland.
Central: Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati.

London rotates through these divisions, playing with a different division each year. The following year, the division that played London doesn't play together; each team of the division joins another division for that season.

For example, take the above list as the schedule, and consider a season where London plays in the North and the Central is the division on hiatus. So that year, the alignment could be this:

North: Buffalo,  New England, New York Jets, London.
Atlantic: Baltimore, Cleveland,  Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.
South: Houston, Tennessee, Miami, Indianapolis.
West: Los Angeles Chargers, Denver, Oakland, Kansas City.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.