County Line vs Entering a County

Started by OCGuy81, May 01, 2017, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2019, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2019, 01:31:00 PM
What I'm saying is that it's is not possible to search while in a thread. I have to go to the search page, which then searches the entire forum.
Here is where I enter my search criteria within a thread.  This searches only the thread I'm in.  Are you saying that box doesn't exist for you?

Aha! I had that whole top bar permanently minimized. I can see it now. Good to know!

Kulerage

I've seen both, though County line seems to be more common in rural areas, whereas entering tends to be by urban centers.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: US 89 on August 23, 2017, 08:41:42 AM
Quote from: brycecordry on August 21, 2017, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 01, 2017, 04:38:23 PM
In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads.

Though they don't anymore. County lines are not signed on the new I-69, and several signs on US 24 and I-94 have been missing for years and have never been replaced. When I reported those signs being missing (along with the Central/Eastern Time Zone sign on I-94 at the MI line), they informed me that they have indeed discontinued that sort of signage due to safety and cost, as many people nowadays use their cell phones to determine what county they are in, what city they are passing through, or what time it is.

I agree. I think that's stupid, especially because Google maps doesn't even show county lines. Or time zones. Also, what if you're driving by yourself? Surely they don't want you to look at your phone while driving...

Along I-65 in Indiana (one of the boringest drives you can take), all counties are signed, but the change in time zone is not.  Only the change of the hour on your mobile phone or connected car provide a hint that you've just crossed the Eastern/Central time zone boundary.  Indiana is infamous for being horrible about this; counties periodically change which zone they're in, they used to be a mish-mash of counties that did and did not observe DST (although no longer) and time zone boundaries are never signed - except for the crossing on the Indiana Toll Road. 

StogieGuy7

Gnutella

Quote from: sbeaver44 on May 01, 2017, 04:11:19 PM
Pennsylvania is actually pretty good at this:

The signs say "COUNTY LINE" on the Interstates, though.

SSR_317

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on August 12, 2019, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: US 89 on August 23, 2017, 08:41:42 AM
Quote from: brycecordry on August 21, 2017, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 01, 2017, 04:38:23 PM
In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads.

Though they don't anymore. County lines are not signed on the new I-69, and several signs on US 24 and I-94 have been missing for years and have never been replaced. When I reported those signs being missing (along with the Central/Eastern Time Zone sign on I-94 at the MI line), they informed me that they have indeed discontinued that sort of signage due to safety and cost, as many people nowadays use their cell phones to determine what county they are in, what city they are passing through, or what time it is.

I agree. I think that's stupid, especially because Google maps doesn't even show county lines. Or time zones. Also, what if you're driving by yourself? Surely they don't want you to look at your phone while driving...

Along I-65 in Indiana (one of the boringest drives you can take), all counties are signed, but the change in time zone is not.  Only the change of the hour on your mobile phone or connected car provide a hint that you've just crossed the Eastern/Central time zone boundary.  Indiana is infamous for being horrible about this; counties periodically change which zone they're in, they used to be a mish-mash of counties that did and did not observe DST (although no longer) and time zone boundaries are never signed - except for the crossing on the Indiana Toll Road.
IMHO, Daylight "Shifting" Time should be abolished, worldwide. Conformists beware!

hbelkins

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 17, 2019, 12:45:46 PM
IMHO, Daylight "Shifting" Time should be abolished, worldwide. Conformists beware!

Actually, DST should become the new year-round standard.

In before deletion...  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on August 17, 2019, 01:48:51 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on August 17, 2019, 12:45:46 PM

Actually, DST should become the new year-round standard.

In before deletion...  :-D

The 52-page thread never got deleted.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.