How far can you go without turning?

Started by noelbotevera, September 07, 2019, 10:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Title says it all. The "rules" of the "game" are that you cannot turn onto any other road and must follow a road until it either (a) dead ends, (b) prohibits access (i.e. reach a fence or gate), or (c) ends at a T intersection. You must calculate the furthest distance from your home.

Rules/Exceptions:
-If you live in a neighborhood, you can turn until you reach the main exit of your subdivision. From there, choose the longest distance. This also includes driveways.
-Loops DO NOT count for this game. Sorry, no infinite answers. To clarify: If your measurement takes you onto a beltway, it continues until you reach your starting point. Then it ends.
-You don't have to stick to numbered routes; in fact you might be forced off of them. Quality does not matter as well.
-If a road curves, but also intersects another road, follow the main movement (i.e. pavement markings/road with more lanes/road with better maintenance).
-You may choose places you have previously lived to find the longest distances. You cannot choose hotels/houses you have temporarily stayed in.
-If a road ends at a ramp, you must choose the ramp that goes straight (for example, trumpet interchanges; you can only go straight). Your measurement ends when you must turn onto a ramp or if a ramp splits.
-Merges do not count, but exit only lanes do. In other words, you cannot change lanes; you must exit the road and follow the movement that does not require a turn.

Let the games begin.

For me, I got 10.7 miles. Not impressive; I'm sure those who live in more rural areas can likely garner 20+ miles.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

ozarkman417

A whopping 0.4 miles, but a street a few blocks away goes on for about 70.

jeffandnicole

vdeane

1.31 miles from my current apartment, and that's being generous (my apartment has 3 exits, 2 onto the main road, so I used the one farther away from the far end of the road)

1.78 from my previous apartment in Rome, NY

9.11 miles from the house I grew up in

22.47 miles from college

25.76 for the apartment I rented for three months while I had my internship
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

12.2 miles north from my house.  Had I been permitted at least one turn it would have been close to 30 miles.

sprjus4

About 50 miles.

VA-165, VA-149, General Booth Blvd, Pacific Ave, US-60, and VA-168 ending at the stub in Ocean View where the HRBT used to connect to before I-64 got built in '76.

If the VA-168 stub at Ocean View seamlessly continued onto I-64 instead of dead-ending and requiring you to to turn on, I could go another 240 miles without turning by following I-64 to Downtown Richmond which seamlessly flows onto I-95 North, follow I-95 to I-495 in Northern Virginia where it seamlessly continues onto the Beltway east, and follow the Beltway back around to the I-95 / I-395 / I-495.

Brandon

Out of the driveway?  3/8ths of a mile (3 blocks).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thspfc

4.2 miles. If I took three more turns, I could go 1,912.  :)

yand

I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

renegade

8.5 miles.  At my previous address, 154 miles.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

roadman65

My official address is inside a mobile home park so my streets are short. They dead end at the east side, but end at a border street on the west end.  I would say my street is about 0.2 miles long.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Turn left, half a block.  Turn right, about 17 miles/28 km.

Mike

jp the roadgeek

Leaving my driveway to my street, I can only go about a fifth of a mile either direction.  If I take a right and get to the main road, I could go about 18 miles north on CT 10 and a local road to end at CT 185 in Simsbury.  If I head south: if I follow the main movement (CT 10) at the curve, I could go about 8 miles, and eventually end up heading north for much of the distance and end at CT 229 just south of CT 72.  If I continued straight into the local road, I could go at least 25 miles, and would eventually rejoin CT 10, and follow Whitney Ave into New Haven, then Temple St, then curve into MLK Blvd and North Frontage Rd (CT 34 West) to end back at...you guessed it: CT 10. 

Another good one: you could go from JFK to Logan without making a full turn.  I-678, Hutch Parkway, CT 15, I-84, bear east onto I-90 and then exit at Logan.  If you continued straight past Logan, you would continue onto MA 1A North, then MA 60 West, and US 1 North to BYP US 1 through Portsmouth Circle and up the Spaulding Turnpike and NH/ME 16 to end at ME 27 in Eustis.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bassoon1986

Question...for a highway that enters a traffic circle/roundabout. Do I end there or follow the "through"  movement that keeps me on the numbered highway?

iPhone

noelbotevera

Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 08, 2019, 12:56:21 PM
Question...for a highway that enters a traffic circle/roundabout. Do I end there or follow the "through"  movement that keeps me on the numbered highway?

iPhone
Choose whatever movement has the most traffic. If it's a tie (two or more movements have roughly equal traffic), then choose the longest possible distance.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Eth

From my typically-used exit from my parking deck: about 350 feet if I turn right until the street becomes one-way in the "wrong" direction, or about 450 feet if I turn left until it ends into a parking lot.

If I were to drive around to the other exit, though, a left turn would get me about 18 miles before the road ends.

US 89

About 2 miles, but if I'm allowed one turn it goes up to 53.

index

18.20 miles, from my home in Indian Trail, NC, to between Van Wyck and Indian Land, SC. It ends at the junction between SC 75 and US 521.
For my old residence in Lorton, Fairfax County, VA, I get 30.94 miles, ending at the junction between VA SR 123 and 120, at the Chain Bridge.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

hbelkins

18.9 miles, from my home in Lee County, Ky., to the T intersection of KY 52 and KY 1571 in Ravenna in Estill County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Applying strictly the rules, as I exit my garage on the only direction allowed I hit a T intersection before even going 0.1 miles. However, from one side of my block I can go 36 miles before hitting a T intersection.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

royo6022

30.2 miles going west then north on IN-257
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

1995hoo

From my current house, 5.0 miles after leaving my neighborhood.

From my parents' house, 60 miles (right out of their neighborhood onto VA-236 west, straight ahead when it becomes US-50, follow that out to Winchester).

From where we lived when I was a little kid, 0.2 miles (short road after leaving our neighborhood).

From college: 115 miles (US-29 Business becomes US-29, continue straight ahead onto US-50 at Fairfax Circle, continue on US-50 until it hits a T-intersection at Pennsylvania Avenue in DC). If you consider the split at the ramp to the Roosevelt Bridge a "turn"  (I don't), it's 112 miles.

From law school: 1.9 miles (Erwin Road south to the light at NC-751).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Left out of my driveway, 1.4 miles before a T-intersection.

Right, 1.0 miles before a T-intersection.

If allowed 1 turn, I could go 19.9 miles.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

frankenroad

If I follow the intent of your question, if I turn left, it's 4.6 miles, and if I turn right, it's about 145 miles.

However, since I live on a numbered highway (US-127), if I follow the number to the end it's about 356 miles to the left and 402 to the right.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

DandyDan

The parking lot of my apartment has 2 exits, the north one to the N/S street I officially live on and the south one to an alley which is E/W. Going out the north exit, it's .3 miles to the left and probably 100 feet at most to the right, since my street officially ends at the alley. Going out the south exit, if I make a left and go to the east end of the alley, it's .3 miles north and .5 miles south. If I make a right to the west end of the alley, it's slightly more than 1 mile to the right and 2.5 miles to the left, as it deadends when it approaches US 18.

I would have preferred to have my street address be the road outside my window, IA 122. It's 106 miles at a point SW of Spencer, IA. It would be 15 miles to County B30 and US 18 east of Rudd, IA.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.