News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How far can you go without turning?

Started by noelbotevera, September 07, 2019, 10:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

After leaving my neighborhood: 1 mile if left, 2 miles if right.

TEG24601

If I just turn up the hill from my apartment and make a left at the top, 10 Miles to the southern most tip of my Island.  If however, I turn left at the State Route... 56.5 Miles from Clinton, WA, over SR 525, I-405, and SR 518 to Lake Burien School Memorial Park, in Burien, WA.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jemacedo9

My current road...barely 0.5 mi north and maybe 2 miles north.

The longest would be my childhood home...7 miles north and close to 20 miles south/west.

NWI_Irish96

Current residence: 6.6 miles north on Hohman/Sheffield Avenues until T-ing into Calumet Ave.

Longest distance for a former residence: 74.0 miles east on US 6 until T-ing into OH 49 in Edgerton, OH.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

djlynch

Nearly 1,800 miles from the end of my block if I make an illegal left turn. TX 71 to I-10 (the through route merges) to I-12 back to I-10 to I-95 (counting this as taking one side of a fork rather than a turn) to VA/DC I-395 to DC I-695 to DC/MD 295 (again treating the split at the end of a highway as a fork rather than a turn) and eventually to central Baltimore before hitting a T-junction.

If I make the right turn, it's 65 miles to the TX 71/TX 16 junction in Llano.

sprjus4

Quote from: djlynch on September 10, 2019, 08:54:17 PM
If I make the right turn, it's 65 miles to the TX 71/TX 16 junction in Llano.
Where US-290 and TX-71 split east of Austin, the thru movement actually follows US-290, so you'd end up near Johnson City at a T-intersection with US-281.

tolbs17

When going from Greenville to Raleigh, About 70 miles i can go without turning (this is my mentor, not me).

JKRhodes

I grew up in a house on Highway 70 in the Safford, az area. Going west, it's 518 miles going west: 70 becomes 60; staying in my lane, that lane becomes right lane of I-10 which becomes the left lane of I-17 a few miles later.  That route goes north to Flagstaff, dumps off on Milton Ave, which becomes Route 66, which becomes US 89 and goes on up into Utah. If I go straight at the light in Kanab instead of following the right turn of 89, the road goes through a neighborhood and ends up on Powell Drive, which eventually becomes a dirt road and ends at some sort of water holding pond south of Kanab near the Arizona border.

Going east on US 70 from my old home, the road enters a Trumpet interchange at Motel Drive in Lordsburg, NM which dumps onto Main Street and turns into NM 494, ending at a locked gate at the entrance to the old Banner mine. Total of 83 miles.

I used to live in Utah at an apartment complex on State Street in Midvale. Going left it was 10.2 miles to the state capitol. going right it was 8.4 miles to a cul de sac at the end of Minuteman Drive.

roadman65

When I used to live in Orlando at first if I left my subdivision off Orange Blossom Trail turning left would go over 50 miles to end at US 27 in Leesburg.  When FDOT realigned the US 441 and 27 intersection for 441 to be main body, it now would be 200 miles as US 441 would go straight all the way to Lake City before becoming US 41 which has no turns until Jasper, FL in Hamilton County just south of the GA Border.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

From my current house: only about a mile from the main exit in either direction.

From my former house: 5 miles west to a Y-junction the heart of the city, or 11 miles east to a T-junction the heart of the country.

GaryV

If I turn south out of my driveway, I can only go one long block before turning.  Turn north, and I can go about 3/4 of a mile.

But if I understand the rules correctly, I'm allowed one more turn to "get out of my subdivision".

To the south, that doesn't improve things much, because my street T's into another street that is only 2 short blocks long.

To the north, I can turn east or west at the end of my street onto a substantial county road. 

• If I turn west, it goes for 18 miles before ending.
  • I could follow eastward about 4 miles, at which point the road bends north (with the same name for another 1/4 mile or so).  Then it joins with another road for a little over a mile, taking that road's name, before bending back south to join it's original alignment and original name.  From there it continues about 7 miles to it's end.  Through all the curves and name changes though, it retains "mainline" status, so I'd consider the entire 12+ miles as one "road without turning".  Still, not as long as the 18 miles turning west.

michravera

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 07, 2019, 10:33:53 PM
Title says it all. The "rules" of the "game" are that you cannot turn onto any other road and must follow a road until it either (a) dead ends, (b) prohibits access (i.e. reach a fence or gate), or (c) ends at a T intersection. You must calculate the furthest distance from your home.

Rules/Exceptions:
-If you live in a neighborhood, you can turn until you reach the main exit of your subdivision. From there, choose the longest distance. This also includes driveways.
-Loops DO NOT count for this game. Sorry, no infinite answers. To clarify: If your measurement takes you onto a beltway, it continues until you reach your starting point. Then it ends.
-You don't have to stick to numbered routes; in fact you might be forced off of them. Quality does not matter as well.
-If a road curves, but also intersects another road, follow the main movement (i.e. pavement markings/road with more lanes/road with better maintenance).
-You may choose places you have previously lived to find the longest distances. You cannot choose hotels/houses you have temporarily stayed in.
-If a road ends at a ramp, you must choose the ramp that goes straight (for example, trumpet interchanges; you can only go straight). Your measurement ends when you must turn onto a ramp or if a ramp splits.
-Merges do not count, but exit only lanes do. In other words, you cannot change lanes; you must exit the road and follow the movement that does not require a turn.

Let the games begin.

For me, I got 10.7 miles. Not impressive; I'm sure those who live in more rural areas can likely garner 20+ miles.

In Austin, I lived -ON- IH-35. I believe that I was on the Northbound side, so I guess that I could theoretically have gone into Canada without having to turn.

In Sacramento, I lived on the on-ramp to Southbound CASR-99, so after merging, a few hours later, I would have been in Mexico.

Currently, I live just a bazooka shot from I-880 in South Fremont. If I am allowed to take the on-ramp southbound, I would eventually end up on CASR-17 and might be able to follow your rules getting onto CASR-1 southbound and get to somewhere near Long Beach, but, if I recall correctly, you have to make some turns to stay on CASR-1 in San Luis Obispo. If I am allowed to take I-880 northbound, I believe that I can follow your rules and end up on Westbound I-80. If I avoid turning onto the ramps that allow one to stay on I-80 in West Sacramento, I could be on US-50 all of the way to Ocean City, MD (I am not sure that all moves to stay on US-50 will follow the rules).

CNGL-Leudimin

That sounds like what used to happen in Zaragoza, Spain. Before the tram (streetcar) was built, someone living on Calle Corona de Aragon could go from home well into France without turning at all.

A weird one also involves Zaragoza. Someone living on Gran Via can get South of Teruel on the old highway (first N-330, then N-234) without turning, but then is forced back North on the A-23 freeway, ending just 2 miles away from the starting point.

However neither one counts for this thread, as I have never lived in either street (In fact I have never moved).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ftballfan

My sister's neighborhood has multiple exits:
60th St (at South Grove Drive)
Left (East): 5.7 miles, ending at a T intersection along Thornapple River Dr at 68th St (60th curves into Thornapple River Dr)
Right (West): 4.8 miles, ending at a dead end along 60th St just west of Division Ave

52nd St (at Bailey's Grove Drive)
Left (West): 11.9 miles, ending at a T intersection along Barry St at 8th Ave (52nd curves into Kellogg Woods Dr, then 54th St, then Gezon Pkwy, then 56th St before crossing into Ottawa County and becoming Barry St)
Right (East): 2.8 miles, ending at a dead end along 52nd St just east of Kraft Ave (52nd used to extend to a T intersection with Thornapple River Dr before the airport built its north/south runway)

East Paris Ave (at De Blaay Drive)
Left (North): 1.2 miles, ending at a T intersection along Barden Dr at M-37/Broadmoor Ave (East Paris curves into Barden not far north of 52nd St)
Right (South): 1.6 miles, ending at a dead end along East Paris Ave just south of 68th St

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

milbfan

From my place in Wise County, VA, about 120 miles.  I pick up US 58 Alt all the way out to Cumberland Gap, merge onto 25E to Corbin, KY.

hbelkins

Quote from: milbfan on September 13, 2019, 10:56:23 PM
From my place in Wise County, VA, about 120 miles.  I pick up US 58 Alt all the way out to Cumberland Gap, merge onto 25E to Corbin, KY.

Gotta call foul on this one. I'm not sure where you are in Wise County, but Alt. 58 exits 23 at Big Stone Gap, then turns left downtown. And it ends at Jonesville, where you would have to turn right to hit 58 to go to Cumberland Gap. From Norton, you have to turn twice just to stay on Alt. 58 to Jonesville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Thing 342

Making a left out of my neighborhood, I can go about 11.5 miles before dead-ending at the river in Poquoson.

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2019, 11:24:11 PM

Gotta call foul on this one. I'm not sure where you are in Wise County, but Alt. 58 exits 23 at Big Stone Gap, then turns left downtown. And it ends at Jonesville, where you would have to turn right to hit 58 to go to Cumberland Gap. From Norton, you have to turn twice just to stay on Alt. 58 to Jonesville.
First off, US-58 Alt to US-58 is a seamless, straight movement in Jonesville. The turning movement is US-58 to US-58.

Second, if he lives in Big Stone Gap, then the whole exiting off US-23 isn't a problem.

So I wouldn't call it "foul" .

debragga

If I turn left out of the entrance to my "back door" in my townhouse complex, 1.1 miles.
If I turn right, 292 feet.
If I go from my front door (the street my address is), turning left is 92 feet before it dead ends short of US 165.
Turning right from my front door it's 0.2 miles.

hbelkins

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 14, 2019, 10:14:42 PM

First off, US-58 Alt to US-58 is a seamless, straight movement in Jonesville. The turning movement is US-58 to US-58.

Second, if he lives in Big Stone Gap, then the whole exiting off US-23 isn't a problem.

OK, I had forgotten about the configuration of the intersection in Jonesville.

But the end of US 58 still is a foul. You have to exit right to hit northbound 25E. The straight movement is across the four lanes of 25E and then onto southbound 25E. And it makes a left turn at New Tazewell, so the straight movement is southbound on TN 33. Not sure how far you can go on that route before you have to turn; I drove it once but don't really remember.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

stevashe

From my current residence, 1.4 miles.

Best for me would have to be from my college, 48 miles up the El Camino Real (CA 82) to San Francisco, then onto a bunch of streets in the city ending at Laguna & Bay.

Laura

From the entrance to my neighborhood in Bel Air, MD, 14.2 miles or 36 minutes in an almost complete loop! https://goo.gl/maps/Zw8c9mxwL4vSzavB7

Starting at the intersection of Richwood Road and Brierhill Drive, follow Brierhill until it turns into Ring Factory Rd, into Whitaker Mill Rd, into Connelly Rd, into Old Fallston Rd, into Carrs Mill Rd, into Vale Rd, into Moores Mill Road, into the shopping center road which goes behind the shopping center and ends at Brierhill Drive about 400 feet from the starting point.

kphoger

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 07, 2019, 10:33:53 PM
-Merges do not count, but exit only lanes do. In other words, you cannot change lanes; you must exit the road and follow the movement that does not require a turn.

WTF?  I can't change lanes because that would be considered a turn?  Whereas actually exiting the road wouldn't be considered a turn?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

milbfan

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2019, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 14, 2019, 10:14:42 PM

OK, I had forgotten about the configuration of the intersection in Jonesville.

But the end of US 58 still is a foul. You have to exit right to hit northbound 25E. The straight movement is across the four lanes of 25E and then onto southbound 25E. And it makes a left turn at New Tazewell, so the straight movement is southbound on TN 33. Not sure how far you can go on that route before you have to turn; I drove it once but don't really remember.

I'm on Powell Valley Road..

I skipped over the trumpet interchange part on accident, so you're correct with the movement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.