UT 12, UT 63, Bryce Canyon, and the Grand Staircase

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 17, 2018, 11:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Finished a write up on the entire routing of UT 12 from US 89 northeast to UT 24.  UT 12 is probably one of my favorite highways given it crosses paths with Bryce Canyon National Park, the Grand Staircase, and Capital Reef National Park.  There are all sorts of weird alignment changes and route designations that predate the current UT 12 designation.  I'd like to make an attempt for Hell's Backbone Road in the next year or two if I can get an SUV out to Southern Utah.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/2016-fall-mountain-trip-part-12-utah.html

US 89

I thought I'd add that UT 12 is actually entirely concurrent with US Bike Route 70, though I think the only signage for it is near/at the eastern terminus.

Anyway, UT 12 is probably my all-time favorite route. It's really best to think of it as seven separate sections: from 89 up through Red Canyon, the valley where UT 63 comes off, the part between Bryce and Tropic, the canyon between there and Escalante, the canyonlands between Escalante and Boulder, the part over the Aquarius Plateau, and the descent to UT 24. Every single one of those sections really has its own unique character.

The part over the Aquarius Plateau is open range as well; I had to stop for cows on the road several times when I clinched 12 in June.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 18, 2018, 12:19:44 AM
I thought I'd add that UT 12 is actually entirely concurrent with US Bike Route 70, though I think the only signage for it is near/at the eastern terminus.

Anyway, UT 12 is probably my all-time favorite route. It's really best to think of it as seven separate sections: from 89 up through Red Canyon, the valley where UT 63 comes off, the part between Bryce and Tropic, the canyon between there and Escalante, the canyonlands between Escalante and Boulder, the part over the Aquarius Plateau, and the descent to UT 24. Every single one of those sections really has its own unique character.

The part over the Aquarius Plateau is open range as well; I had to stop for cows on the road several times when I clinched 12 in June.

Regarding the US Bike Route Signage I thought it was neat to finally see some of it.  At the time that (still actually) it was the furthest west I've seen US Bike Route actually signed.  Out in the Midwest it seems like certain states have put more effort into signing the US Bikes Routes, I don't believe any have been signed out in California.

I noticed the open Range on the Aquarius Plateau but didn't remember it until you mentioned it.  When I was heading through there wasn't any animals out, that definitely wasn't the case on UT 95 the next day (which I'll get to that in time since it had some interesting results).

I suppose those sections are why 12 probably went so long with different route designations east of Tropic.  Personally I find it fascinating that it took so long for a real automotive roadway to reach Boulder with Hell's Backbone.  I had wanted to take the entirety of 12 back in 2013 but I believe it was closed over the Aquarius Plateau at the time due to an abnormally large amount of snow.  Really I'd rate UT 12 way higher on my personal list of scenic highways than something like US 163.  The southern half of Utah is a murders row of classic scenic highways.  Personally I really enjoy UT 24 as well, especially east of 12.

andy3175

I drove UT 12 for the first time northeast of Bryce Canyon all the way to UT 24. I had no idea the Hogback existed, and when my wife and I drove over that, we both were shocked at the steep drop offs on either side of the highway. There aren't many guardrails, either. It was a fun drive, and I agree that UT 12 is a great drive. Just be sure to give yourself a day at least to enjoy it.

https://scenicbyway12.com/the-byway/byway-waysides/the-hogback/

QuoteBetween Calf Creek Recreation Area and Boulder Town is an internationally famous stretch of byway known as "The Hogback."  As the asphalt clings to this thin razorback ridge of slickrock, the terrain spills steeply off to each side toward winding creeks and canyons below, where cottonwoods provide ribbons of green, gold, or gray depending on the season. Driving here is slow and cautious, but the vistas are incredible.

Not so sure I'll be lining up for Hell's Backbone (Forest Service Rd 153), which I imagine is even crazier than the Hogback and is partially on gravel roads!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: andy3175 on October 11, 2018, 12:07:37 AM
I drove UT 12 for the first time northeast of Bryce Canyon all the way to UT 24. I had no idea the Hogback existed, and when my wife and I drove over that, we both were shocked at the steep drop offs on either side of the highway. There aren't many guardrails, either. It was a fun drive, and I agree that UT 12 is a great drive. Just be sure to give yourself a day at least to enjoy it.

https://scenicbyway12.com/the-byway/byway-waysides/the-hogback/

QuoteBetween Calf Creek Recreation Area and Boulder Town is an internationally famous stretch of byway known as "The Hogback."  As the asphalt clings to this thin razorback ridge of slickrock, the terrain spills steeply off to each side toward winding creeks and canyons below, where cottonwoods provide ribbons of green, gold, or gray depending on the season. Driving here is slow and cautious, but the vistas are incredible.

Not so sure I'll be lining up for Hell's Backbone (Forest Service Rd 153), which I imagine is even crazier than the Hogback and is partially on gravel roads!

Saw that you were up there on your Facebook, Bryce Canyon probably is my favorite National Park in Utah.  I have a huge bucket list just for southern Utah, too bad a lot of it requires a high clearance vehicle or a good mountain bike.  I'm kind of curious to find out how the Backbone stacks up to some Forest Routes out in the Sierras. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.