News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mass Replacement of Overhead Signs in Denver This Summer...

Started by thenetwork, May 08, 2019, 12:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Looks like a lot of older freeway signs and gantries in the Metro Denver area are going by the wayside in the coming weeks.  Per CDOT:

Overview: The Colorado Department of Transportation and contractor, Paonia Inc., are replacing, removing, or installing sign panels and overhead sign structures on US 6, I-25, US 36, CO 58, I-70, I-76, I-225, I-270, US 285, CO 287, and C-470. Once completed, crews will have installed and replaced more than 500 signs.

The goal of this maintenance project is to remove and replace obsolete sign panels and structures and installing new sign panels and overhead structures to further improve communication with the traveling public.  Highway signs are an important safety tool that helps CDOT communicate rules, guidance and information to motorists navigating the highway system.

Sounds like the migration to monotube gantries will be in high gear in the Mile High.  Get a final glimpse of them while you can...

No mention of US-85/Santa Fe Drive.  So this extremely rare button copy may still have more years of life ahead of it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6816729,-104.9925611,3a,75y,189.47h,96.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skM6j-fxiRoFFXMCtUqieHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

thspfc

I hope they change the control cities on I-70 in both directions. "Limon" for I-70 east in Denver is not a good control city, no one on I-70 has a final destination of Limon. Instead I would use "DIA" and just "Kansas". On I-70 west, do "Golden" instead of Grand Junction.

J N Winkler

This is CDOT contract 22322 and is apparently being handled in a work order format where CDOT advertises the project on just a bidding proposal without plans, quoting quantities only, and gives the actual plans to the contractor (Paonia) after award as a work order.  Drat!
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

keithvh

Quote from: thspfc on May 08, 2019, 09:13:26 PM
I hope they change the control cities on I-70 in both directions. "Limon" for I-70 east in Denver is not a good control city, no one on I-70 has a final destination of Limon. Instead I would use "DIA" and just "Kansas". On I-70 west, do "Golden" instead of Grand Junction.

Ah, the "Limon control city debate" - a frequent topic here.

I feel that everyone here in Denver is used to "Limon." 

There's also a fair amount of East I-70 traffic that exits at Limon and heads southeast on 287.  Those folk are generally not headed to Kansas, but rather Texas.

thspfc

Quote from: keithvh on May 09, 2019, 05:55:21 PM

Ah, the "Limon control city debate" - a frequent topic here.

I feel that everyone here in Denver is used to "Limon." 

There's also a fair amount of East I-70 traffic that exits at Limon and heads southeast on 287.  Those folk are generally not headed to Kansas, but rather Texas.
True.
I-70 East
DIA
Limon
Kansas
to US-287 - Texas

??

Mark68

The problem is (besides the aforementioned fact that we Front Range residents are used to Limon & Grand Jct being the controls on I-70) that if you change the I-70 east control city to anything but Limon, you then have to change I-225 north and E-470 (north from I-25 & south from at least I-76). And if changing the control city on I-70 west, you'd also have to change it on CO-470 west and north from I-25.

So there would be a lot more work than just changing signs on/to I-70.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

US 89

Is it too much to ask that the new signs include the silent concurrencies for US 6 and US 85 through town? (I've given up on US 87.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.