News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

1963 1963

Started by Tom958, August 22, 2016, 06:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

GA 82 Conn over I-85. I think the other end's like this, too. I wonder how many others there are.

jlwm

That's one thing I enjoy when visiting Atlanta. For me, it's neat to see what year bridges and overpasses were built and in some cases, widened/redecked. I wish Texas had followed suit.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jlwm on September 02, 2016, 08:26:13 PM
That's one thing I enjoy when visiting Atlanta. For me, it's neat to see what year bridges and overpasses were built and in some cases, widened/redecked. I wish Texas had followed suit.

You missed the point of this thread.

You missed the point of this thread.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Tom958

I 'm just glad someone replied.  :clap:

What would make sense is for bridges to bear both their year of completion and the year(s) when they were modified.

jlwm

Quote from: Tom958 on September 03, 2016, 09:15:44 AM

What would make sense is for bridges to bear both their year of completion and the year(s) when they were modified.

The Camp Creek Pkwy overpass over I-285 is like that. It's like that because another guardrail was added to the original bridge to further separate the sidewalk from the road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6565493,-84.4972087,3a,19.3y,336.78h,70.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7iv9fLdZxGEQ5GIwpPyGDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Rothman

Egads.  Some bridges would have a date list as long as your arm.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Tom958

Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2016, 11:32:08 AMEgads.  Some bridges would have a date list as long as your arm.

Bring it on!  :clap:

ixnay

That's one thing I enjoy when visiting Atlanta. For me, it's neat to see what year bridges and overpasses were built and in some cases, widened/redecked.

Maryland is another state that dates bridges (when the dates aren't obscured by a guard rail).  New Jersey is another one (but only on the NJDOT bridges, not the toll roads).  Pennsylvania and Virginia did it years ago.

Re Texas, maybe uglybridges.com can help.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Mapmikey

Quote from: ixnay on September 29, 2016, 07:41:32 AM
That's one thing I enjoy when visiting Atlanta. For me, it's neat to see what year bridges and overpasses were built and in some cases, widened/redecked.

Maryland is another state that dates bridges (when the dates aren't obscured by a guard rail).  New Jersey is another one (but only on the NJDOT bridges, not the toll roads).  Pennsylvania and Virginia did it years ago.

ixnay

Virginia still dates their bridges on a small plaque but the date is not visible from a moving car.  They had used the spade shaped plates with easily visible dates from 1925-75, except 1942-45 had mostly carved dates in the concrete directly.

I am aware of at least one Maryland bridge with 3 dates carved:  https://goo.gl/maps/nMQGwpnaxRH2

Virginia will sometimes add a plaque to a widened bridge...here is the only one I ever found with two spade shaped plates (US 219 Rich Creek):

jlwm

ixnay

uglybridges.com really does help. Some of the info is inaccurate though. I know one elevated structure that was built in 1974 that comes up as being built in the 1960s.

Neri123

I love this kind of things on roads.

ixnay

Pennsylvania used to use keystone shaped plaques with the date at the top (when they felt like adding a date or even bothering to use the keystone).  However, like Virginia, it's all but impossible to read at speed, especially given the font they used for the year numbers.  I've never seen a rebuilt PennDot bridge with a keystone.

Back to New Jersey:  Some NJDot bridges have the date on the undersides of the bridges (if a motor road rather than a railroad or body of water passes underneath) as well as on top of the bridges.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

KEVIN_224

Vermont puts a state outline plaque on the corner of theirs. I'm not sure if the part attached to it shows the year or just some inventory number. This example was from the recently rebuilt I-91 South bridge where it passes over US Route 5 in White River Junction, VT. It was at Exit 11.

JJBers

Connecticut also does
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Revive 755

I believe some bridges in Illinois will have this on the structure plaque - 'built 19xx and rebuilt 19xx'.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 29, 2016, 01:39:37 PM
ixnay
Virginia still dates their bridges on a small plaque but the date is not visible from a moving car.  They had used the spade shaped plates with easily visible dates from 1925-75, except 1942-45 had mostly carved dates in the concrete directly.
I am aware of at least one Maryland bridge with 3 dates carved: 
Virginia will sometimes add a plaque to a widened bridge...here is the only one I ever found with two spade shaped plates (US 219 Rich Creek):

Some in Maryland are hyphenated to show when built and when redecked, such as the old US-50/US-301 bridge at Kent Narrows, 1952-86.

With those new Virginia plaques you need to get out of your car and get up close.  Occasionally the date stamp area is blank.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Aerobird

Most Florida bridges of any significance carry a date on them, cast into the concrete at one end of the guardrail or the other (I think it might be at "diagonally opposite ends", but that might be by memory playing tricks on me). They usually also include a brief description of the crossing (the river name, or "[railroad] over [highway]").
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.