News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Completely redundant routes

Started by hotdogPi, May 09, 2019, 07:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

Quote from: Big John on May 09, 2019, 01:56:48 PM
Quote from: Eth on May 09, 2019, 08:32:12 AM

Probably a few more that I missed.
The secret state routes coinciding with all Georgia Interstate highways.

I decided to limit it to signed routes only, but yes.

I did miss GA 515: all of it is also one or more of GA 5, US 76, and/or GA 17.

roadman65

FL 226 is one of the routes I said before is overlapped with SR 24A in Florida. The other being SR 331, however SR 331 is independent of other routes only from SR 226 to SR 24 is it signed with SR 24A.  SR 226 is not solo at all as its whole route is with SR 24A.

So that is more of the redundant route than 24A!  At least 24A offers a bypass for its parent sort of.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bickendan

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 09, 2019, 04:42:02 PM

US 30 from Pocatello to Portland.

Disagree on the basis of the Astoria-Portland segment, and the fact that US 30 acts as I-84 Bus, AND that arguably, it's also part of the signed Hist US 30 (which it certainly is in the Rowena Crest section).

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on May 09, 2019, 04:00:51 PM
I-105 overlapping OR 126

I-182 overlapping US 12

Nah, those two are fine.

My submission: The entire ORH system :bigass:

CNGL-Leudimin

I've dug up this :sombrero::
Quote from: mcdonaat on November 10, 2012, 11:21:26 PM
How about these two routes? Very, VERY different routes.

The following post by NE2 says this road had even a third number. The maps are unfortunately gone.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Aaron Camp

The IL-133 designation from the IL-133/IL-16 intersection at the west end of Paris, Illinois to the eastern terminus of both routes in Paris is unnecessary.

Additionally, although the routes are only a partial concurrency, usage of IL-13 on the IL-13/IL-15 corridor in St. Clair County, Illinois is effectively redundant from Freeburg westward.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on May 09, 2019, 05:16:26 PM
the OP excludes lower routes over Interstates.

Part of the confusion may be that the OP also included an Interstate.  The difference is that it overlaps another Interstate rather than a lower-class road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 01:49:47 PM

Part of the confusion may be that the OP also included an Interstate.  The difference is that it overlaps another Interstate rather than a lower-class road.

In that case, the section of I-380 that overlaps I-84 in Pennsylvania.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

I'm not sure what you're considering "completely" overlapped - the routes are the exact same from end to end?

If it's allowable to nominate a route where one end overlaps another route, then the northern end of I-275 overlapping I-96 (Michigan)

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 01:49:47 PM

I would consider a 3 digit Interstate to be of a lower class than a 2 digit. With I-39, it overlaps US-51, so Interstate classes don't matter.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on May 10, 2019, 08:05:54 PM
I'm not sure what you're considering "completely" overlapped

The entirety of a route is multiplexed with another route of equal or higher classification.

The OP, for example, cites I-894.  There's not a single mile of I-894 that isn't also I-41.  So why still sign 894?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 10:19:19 PM
The OP, for example, cites I-894.  There's not a single mile of I-894 that isn't also I-41.  So why still sign 894?

Because WisDOT wanted to maintain a clear marked bypass for I-94. It's really not as egregious as the constant complaints here make it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

US 460 in Norfolk running long side VA 168 is redundant.  Even Mike brought out that only one route was needed from Downtown Norfolk to the HRBT back before I-64.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2019, 10:51:21 PM
FL 226 is one of the routes I said before is overlapped with SR 24A in Florida. The other being SR 331, however SR 331 is independent of other routes only from SR 226 to SR 24 is it signed with SR 24A.  SR 226 is not solo at all as its whole route is with SR 24A.

So that is more of the redundant route than 24A!  At least 24A offers a bypass for its parent sort of.
I'd agree with you on that, but I've seen GSV views of a stub extension of 16th Avenue east of FL 331. Is there any chance this might've been intended as an extension of FL 226?

US 89

Because everything Utah maintains must carry a state route number, nearly all business routes have a state route number. Although some of these state routes continue on and serve other purposes, there  are several examples of state routes that are entirely concurrent with a business route. Unless I’ve forgotten one, this should be a complete list of those:

• SR 274 with BL-15 in Parowan
  • SR 160 with BL-15 in Beaver
  • SR 99 with BL-15 in Fillmore
  • SR 120 with BL-70 in Richfield
  • SR 19 with BL-70 in Green River
  • SR 58 with BL-80 in Wendover
  • SR 55 with US 6 Business in Price

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 11, 2019, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 09, 2019, 10:51:21 PM

I'd agree with you on that, but I've seen GSV views of a stub extension of 16th Avenue east of FL 331. Is there any chance this might've been intended as an extension of FL 226?

Still presently its redundant. 

Until FDOT extends it (or Gainesville or the county) its redundant as its not independent at all.

BTW is not ME 100 completely overlapped from end to end with other main highways.

Then old news but all of US 23 south of its merge with US 1 in Southeastern GA is been discussed as redundant and even some GA users on here say no one in the Peach State even calls out US 23 by name but rather by other roads its overlapped with.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

At this point MA 128 really doesn't need to be signed with I-95 and I-93.  But Bostoninans insist on it.

roadman65

Also the part where I-93 is solo along it is still referred to as it!  Yes people are bad when it comes to numbers as here in Florida we had officially the number 408 signed in the field to the Holland East- West Expressway, yet everyone adapted real fast to the change of calling it by its hidden designation and quick to drop the East- West name.

Here 40 years or more later they still do not want to stop saying Route 128 like its going to kill them.

Sheryl Crowe

dvferyance

Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2019, 07:57:30 AM
Completely overlapped, excluding Interstates over lower-ranked routes.

The two that I can think of are I-894 and the southern portion of ME 4A.
The redundancy is I-41 south of the zoo interchange. It's never going to be extended into Illinois and become a sole route again.

WNYroadgeek

I can think of three interstate highways in NY that are overlapped with other routes for their entire length:

I-99 (US 15)
I-587 (NY 28)
I-790 (NY 5; NY 8 and 12 overlap it as well, but not for its' entire length)

Admittedly, both I-99 and I-790 could/will get extended in the future, but as it currently stands, they count.

Rothman

I-790 should be decommissioned.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheStranger

Pre-1964, all of US 70 in California was concurrent with either US 60, US 99, or I-10.

I actually mentioned it in another thread, but from 1936-1964, 80% of Route 11 was either part of US 6, US 66, Alternate US 66, or US 99.

US 466 after the 1940s was concurrent with other routes for the entirety of its portions in Arizona (US 93) and Nevada (US 93, US 91/later I-15), with the only truly independent portion being the Morro Bay-Barstow segment in California.

Chris Sampang

TEG24601

Quote from: US 89 on May 09, 2019, 05:28:02 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on May 09, 2019, 04:42:02 PM
US 30 from Pocatello to Portland.

Except for the 93-mile stretch from Bliss to Heyburn, plus other independent segments near Ontario, Baker City, Pendleton...

All of which can be state routes or Business routes.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2019, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: GaryV on May 10, 2019, 08:05:54 PM
I'm not sure what you're considering "completely" overlapped

The entirety of a route is multiplexed with another route of equal or higher classification.

Probably because I-894 still serves as a bypass of I-94. Why is I-41 even signed south of the Zoo Interchange? Heck why is I-41 signed at all? And then Wisconsin signs it all the way to the Illinois border thinking that IDOT is going to extend it. If IDOT hasn't extended the US-12 freeway then I have no idea why Wisconsin thinks they are going to extend I-41. I-41 actually was a waste of time and money.

Flint1979

I don't recall any examples in Michigan. There are concurrencies but not for an entire route at least I don't know of any.

Like I-75 and US-23 run together for 73 miles between Flint and Standish but both highways continue on both ends of the concurrency.

Flint1979

Would NY-5's concurrency with US-20 count? They are together for about 70 miles between Avon and Auburn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.