News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by Henry - May 09, 2024, 09:49:24 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 09, 2024, 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: hotdogPi on May 09, 2024, 10:13:03 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 09, 2024, 10:10:02 AMAs for the Royals, where would they go? I don't know how many new markets actually exist for baseball these days.

The Carolinas (and by extension Norfolk area) are entirely unrepresented.

Nashville is often mentioned as well. Have they shown any interest in building a stadium to bringing in a team?  Because this seems to be where this always breaks down.
IIRC, the Nationals, Orioles and Braves are the three closest MLB teams to the Carolinas. And as for Nashville, the White Sox have been linked to possibly moving there (but then again, they've been rumored to leave Chicago at some point in the last several decades; you may think the new ballpark would've ended those rumors permanently, but apparently it's no longer so). The Titans and Predators are the two big tickets in town, so any MLB team who plays there, whether relocated or expansion, would struggle against those two teams.
Off-Topic / Re: San Antonio now home to so...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 09, 2024, 09:48:58 PM
Don't these locations usually have an exterior walk up counter?  The one in Firebaugh does.
Last post by LilianaUwU - May 09, 2024, 09:46:08 PM
Unless I manage to convince my bus driver to go to the drive through, this is not an option for me. It's why I get the "metropolitan" bus pass for both Québec and Lévis: so I can get to a Burger King location where I can actually get in and order without a car. Because yes, Québec City only has one Burger King location, and it's drive-thru only.
General Highway Talk / Re: Beltways That Work, and Be...
Last post by Henry - May 09, 2024, 09:41:23 PM
I-285 around Atlanta is probably the most broken beltway out there, because of various factors. No matter what direction you approach the city from, you're faced with a conundrum (do you continue straight through or go around?), and the daily traffic problems it gets are made worse by the fact that large trucks cannot go through the city at all (IIRC, it's the only city to be set up this way). Not to mention the ongoing construction at various points...

I-465 around Indianapolis, OTOH, is a great way to bypass downtown, which is most useful for traffic that's also using I-74, and will do the same for I-69 once it's completed.
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 09, 2024, 09:26:16 PM
There has been one of these in Firebaugh for years.  Makes all the sense in the world to me.  Even before COVID hardly anyone sat down and ate inside at BK.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by CoreySamson - May 09, 2024, 09:12:44 PM
Found this temporary detour signage in Prague, OK after the main drag through town was closed for some kind of oversize load or construction or something:

It leaves quite a bit to be desired.
Southeast / Re: Mississippi
Last post by froggie - May 09, 2024, 09:07:15 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 09, 2024, 04:00:35 PM
Quote from: MoiraPrime on May 09, 2024, 01:03:25 PMThe saddest part was that Jackson had the worst roads by far. We went up US 61 at Vicksburg and MS 1 around Greenville and you get the idea... the roads in the delta were fine... in Jackson though the westbound roadway of I-20 is some of the worst road I've ever been on.

There's some really odd dips and camber changes in the road around Jackson which I suppose is attributable to the Yazoo Clay soil? Seems to be a problem unique to the area; there's localized places in the US with just plain bad roads or a lack of immediate maintenance, but nothing quite like that.

It's been a long-standing problem on I-20 between Jackson and Meridian as well.  The Yazoo Clay is certainly a factor...that stuff does not lend itself well to building roads on, no matter how much "suitable base material" you truck in and drop.
Northeast / Re: New York State Thruway
Last post by vdeane - May 09, 2024, 08:57:26 PM
I took a look at the traffic layer when that was going on.  The backup approaching exit 45 looked to be similar to a major travel day, but was still less than what it was on Eclipse Day, and less than the one at exit 47.

In other news, Guilderland has reopened, and Mohawk has closed.  Modena is the last original service area still open.
Last post by epzik8 - May 09, 2024, 08:37:47 PM
There is at least one of these in Maryland (Waldorf area, south of DC) that I've gone through before.
Traffic Control / Re: Duplicate Controls Not All...
Last post by mrsman - May 09, 2024, 08:12:10 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 07, 2024, 05:00:48 PMI wonder how this rule impacts the continuity of control cities. If you have two roads at an interchange going to Bigtown and one of them is signed for Littletown because of this rule, it will probably revert to Bigtown at all subsequent interchanges, possibly not mentioning Littletown again. Is that really a better idea?

That definitely seems to be how this works.  Take the example of the I-5/CA-170 interchange near Los Angeles.  At the split, the control for I-5 is Los Angeles and the control for 170 is Hollywood, but subsequent to the split the control for 170 is Los Angeles.  IMO, it would be better if there were secondary controls used at the split, e.g. I-5 to both Burbank and Los Angeles and 170 to both Hollywood and Los Angeles.  A clear indication that both roads go to Los Angeles, but only one road goes to Burbank and the other goes to Hollywood.  It also matches the existing controls at the subsequent interchanges and on-ramps which state Los Angeles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.