The Second Battle of New Orleans: A History of the Vieux Carre Riverfront Expres

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, June 02, 2009, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Speaking of Louisiana Road (insert favorite term to describe you) Meets...
The following will be held at the Old Governor's mansion in Baton Rouge, Thursday evening (6 PM)

The Foundation for Historical Louisiana (FHL) will host a Preservation Salon lecture featuring New Orleans attorney, author, and preservationist William E. Borah, co-author of "The Second Battle of New Orleans: A History of the Vieux Carre Riverfront Expressway Controversy"  on Thursday, June 4, at the Old Governor's Mansion in Baton Rouge.

As president of Smart Growth for Louisiana in the post-Katrina era, Borah drafted amendments to the Home Rule Charter requiring New Orleans to prepare a plan to guide future development that would have the force of law. Voters approved the Smart growth charter amendments on November 4, 2008. He received the "Distinguished Leadership Award for a Citizen Planner"  from the American Planning Association, Louisiana Chapter, and has taught historic preservation, preservation law, and urban planning at the University of New Orleans.

Besides his advocacy work for the French Quarter, he has also been an advocate for balanced transportation in the inner city, protection of National Historic Districts, and Hope VI efforts in New Orleans.

The lecture begins at 6:30 p.m. with refreshments at 6 p.m., compliments of Calandro's Fine Cellars and Wines. The lecture is free to FHL members and $10 for guest.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

UptownRoadGeek

Revive 755

Quote from: NOLANOLA504If only I could get my hands on the book.

Best bet is to try and access it in university library, since it seems to be out of print.  Might have to go through interlibrary loan worst case.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-QoFAAAAMAAJ&q=%22second+battle+of+new+orleans%22&dq=%22second+battle+of+new+orleans%22&pgis=1

Hot Rod Hootenanny

In NOLANOLA's case, Louisiana State does have a copy and I could have swore I saw a copy at the Baton Rouge Public Library.
I don't know how much that would help him, since he lives 90+ miles away from either location.  :no:

Anthony_JK

Quote from: osu-lsu on June 02, 2009, 12:59:50 PM
The following will be held at the Old Governor's mansion in Baton Rouge, Thursday evening (6 PM)

The Foundation for Historical Louisiana (FHL) will host a Preservation Salon lecture featuring New Orleans attorney, author, and preservationist William E. Borah, co-author of "The Second Battle of New Orleans: A History of the Vieux Carre Riverfront Expressway Controversy"  on Thursday, June 4, at the Old Governor's Mansion in Baton Rouge.

As president of Smart Growth for Louisiana in the post-Katrina era, Borah drafted amendments to the Home Rule Charter requiring New Orleans to prepare a plan to guide future development that would have the force of law. Voters approved the Smart growth charter amendments on November 4, 2008. He received the "Distinguished Leadership Award for a Citizen Planner"  from the American Planning Association, Louisiana Chapter, and has taught historic preservation, preservation law, and urban planning at the University of New Orleans.

Besides his advocacy work for the French Quarter, he has also been an advocate for balanced transportation in the inner city, protection of National Historic Districts, and Hope VI efforts in New Orleans.

The lecture begins at 6:30 p.m. with refreshments at 6 p.m., compliments of Calandro's Fine Cellars and Wines. The lecture is free to FHL members and $10 for guest.

This would be the same gentleman now calling for the Claiborne Elevated portion of I-10 to be leveled and replaced with a surface arterial, right?? And for I-610 to be replaced as the through route for I-10 through New Orleans, too??

Bad idea. Very bad idea.  And I'm usually a proponent of smart growth, except when they call for nonsense like this.

Anthony

Anthony_JK

Also, regarding the book....if you are near Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Dupre Library should have a copy in their Louisiana Room, too.

Anthony

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 04, 2009, 07:24:48 PM
Quote from: osu-lsu on June 02, 2009, 12:59:50 PM

The Foundation for Historical Louisiana (FHL) will host a Preservation Salon lecture featuring New Orleans attorney, author, and preservationist William E. Borah, co-author of "The Second Battle of New Orleans: A History of the Vieux Carre Riverfront Expressway Controversy” on Thursday, June 4, at the Old Governor's Mansion in Baton Rouge.

As president of Smart Growth for Louisiana in the post-Katrina era, Borah drafted amendments to the Home Rule Charter requiring New Orleans to prepare a plan to guide future development that would have the force of law. Voters approved the Smart growth charter amendments on November 4, 2008. He received the "Distinguished Leadership Award for a Citizen Planner” from the American Planning Association, Louisiana Chapter, and has taught historic preservation, preservation law, and urban planning at the University of New Orleans.

This would be the same gentleman now calling for the Claiborne Elevated portion of I-10 to be leveled and replaced with a surface arterial, right?? And for I-610 to be replaced as the through route for I-10 through New Orleans, too??

Bad idea. Very bad idea.  And I'm usually a proponent of smart growth, except when they call for nonsense like this.

Anthony

Yeah, Bill Borah mentioned the "dismantling" of I-10 over Clairborne.  But what I thought was going to be a highway history lecture soon turned into a series of rants over the future of Charity Hospital in NOLA.  :-/

Urban Prairie Schooner

There is a copy of this book at the Louisiana Collection, Earl K. Long Library at the University of New Orleans.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.