Regional Boards > Central States

Gilcrease Turnpike extension plans approved by Oklahoma Transportation Commissio

<< < (2/39) > >>

The Ghostbuster:
Is the portion from W. Edison St. back over to the existing segment of the Gilcrease Expressway at N. 41st W Ave proposed to be constructed at any point, thus completing the entire length of the long-proposed Gilcrease Expressway?

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 12, 2017, 04:56:26 PM ---Is the portion from W. Edison St. back over to the existing segment of the Gilcrease Expressway at N. 41st W Ave proposed to be constructed at any point, thus completing the entire length of the long-proposed Gilcrease Expressway?

--- End quote ---

It's been proposed for a long time, but it's not part of the current project.  That and I think this is part of the Sequoyah Loop Expressway project since it's a state thing and not the city this time.

compdude787:
I've always found it strange how there's virtually no development just a few miles NW of downtown Tulsa. Are they expecting more development to happen in the near future? If not, then there's little justification to building this road as a full freeway. Right now, perhaps a two-lane road would suffice until the area starts to see some serious development.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: compdude787 on April 13, 2017, 09:23:49 PM ---I've always found it strange how there's virtually no development just a few miles NW of downtown Tulsa. Are they expecting more development to happen in the near future? If not, then there's little justification to building this road as a full freeway. Right now, perhaps a two-lane road would suffice until the area starts to see some serious development.

--- End quote ---

Tribal politics and terrain are the two biggest factors against that happening, and neither looks like it's going to change anytime soon.  I wouldn't expect the Sequoyah Loop Expressway being completed through the Osage Nation anytime soon.

compdude787:

--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on April 14, 2017, 01:32:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: compdude787 on April 13, 2017, 09:23:49 PM ---I've always found it strange how there's virtually no development just a few miles NW of downtown Tulsa. Are they expecting more development to happen in the near future? If not, then there's little justification to building this road as a full freeway. Right now, perhaps a two-lane road would suffice until the area starts to see some serious development.

--- End quote ---

Tribal politics and terrain are the two biggest factors against that happening, and neither looks like it's going to change anytime soon.  I wouldn't expect the Sequoyah Loop Expressway being completed through the Osage Nation anytime soon.

--- End quote ---

Ah, I see. That makes sense. It's not unlike some of the indian reservations in Phoenix where the development stops right next to their boundaries. It's almost as if they function like an urban growth boundary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version