News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Milwaukee area freeways

Started by triplemultiplex, February 22, 2011, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

A couple updates for the ongoing Mitchell Interchange reconstruction and the Zoo Interchange study.

First off in the Mitchell Interchange (I-43/94/894), the long term closure of the ramp following I-43 NB through the interchange (EB->NB physically) has started recently.  This system ramp will be closed for pretty much the rest of the year.  Elsewhere in the project, traffic has been shunted into the future c/d lanes between the Mitchell and College Ave. while the mainline is torn up.  I'm impressed with the area around I-894 and 27th St where they are dropping the grade of the freeway considerably.
NB through the Plainfield Curve, just north of the Mitchell, is in it's final alignment and already a great relief.  Evidence exists for the final lane configuration to get 5 NB lanes coming out of the Mitchell down to 3 by breaking up the Howard and Holt Ave. exits.  Previously, both exits shot off of a c/d lane NB.  Now they have been separated with the Howard Ave. exit by itself and the Holt Ave exit as the starting point for the c/d lane.  Each exit will strip a lane from the freeway NB.

Meanwhile, over at the Zoo Interchange study, WisDOT has released a supplemental DIES with a new alternative for consideration based on feedback from the public.  It's billed as the "reduced impacts" alternative as it takes fewer properties, but still expands the approaching freeways to 8 lanes at a slightly lower design speed.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/sefreeways/zooenviron.htm
There's a PIM next month that I'll probably drop by.  I have a feeling many of the elements from this alternative will make it into the final design.  Most of this new alternative is fairly "oh okay, whatever" with one notable exception; the US 45 interchange with Watertown Plank:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/seregion/zoointrchng/docs/sdeis-ex226.pdf
It would turn this boring ol' diamond interchange into a totally free-flow parclo by incorporating the same hairpin ramps that are going in at I-43/894 and 27th St.  It's very interesting.  I think WisDOT's been getting a lot of feedback from people concerned about access to the large medical campus immediately east of there.  It's an interesting solution, but I'm worried about the spacing between Watertown Plank and Bluemound Rd.  If they were the braid ramps from these two interchanges, we might have a winner.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hobsini2

At the Zoo Interchange, I haven't heard yet, is WDOT straightening out the through lanes for NB 45?  That slight S curve is always backed up when I drive up to Oshkosh.
As far as the Marquette goes, I thought they were done with this project last year.
And while I am at it, what is the timetable for the Airport Spur ramps to be finished?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 25, 2011, 07:39:24 AM
At the Zoo Interchange, I haven't heard yet, is WDOT straightening out the through lanes for NB 45?  That slight S curve is always backed up when I drive up to Oshkosh.
As far as the Marquette goes, I thought they were done with this project last year.
And while I am at it, what is the timetable for the Airport Spur ramps to be finished?

From what I am seeing in those drawings, yes, US 45 (future I-57?) through that interchange will be straightened out to roughly follow the routing of the present-day southbound side.  One thing that I would definitely bring up in the design hearings is that eastbound left lane drop/traffic shift on I-94 by State Fair Park.  All four of the mainline lanes should continue through.  Ditto the left lane add on the westbound side there.  WisDOT had to fix an identical silly left lane drop on eastbound I-94 in Brookfield a few years ago, too.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Busy time for I-94 around here.  We've got ourselves a little repaving this year.
http://repave94.org/
Brookfield and Waukesha are getting a fresh coat as well as the area through the Stadium Interchange.  So watch out for that if the Brewer game you're at goes into extras.

hobsini2

That's why i like using Miller Park Way from National Ave to get to the ballpark.  And leaving I always use Wisconsin Ave and find my way to 94 East and use 794 (Hoan Bridge) just to scare the hell out of my friend.  He has a fear of high bridges.  I found that out on a roadtrip to Penn State when we used the Chicago Skyway. :)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stephane Dumas

Alternative 1 for US-45 got a interesting use of service roads system
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/seregion/zoointrchng/docs/sdeis-ex216.pdf
Alternative 3 include even a roundabout for one of the ramp and connectors streets
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/seregion/zoointrchng/docs/sdeis-ex218.pdf

triplemultiplex

Visited WisDOT's PIM this week about the Zoo Interchange.  It sounds like the "reduced impacts" alternative is receiving the most positive feedback. (see link in thread's first post)
And by and large I'd have to agree that it's the best one.  The complicated series of ramps and frontage roads along US 45 north of the Zoo in the other alternatives seem like overkill.  Plus, I'm starting to dig the wild parclo at Watertown Plank.  My only concern with the R.I. Alt is the spacing between service ramps in a couple spots.  Graphics on display indicated interchange would operate at LOS D or better during normal peak conditions with the R.I. Alt.  At this point, I'd expect the final design to closely resemble the R.I. Alt.

In talking with one of the engineers, one of the bigger complicating factors in working with this interchange is rail-related.  The rail-trail corridor that parallels I-94 in this area requires that they make bridges high enough to accommodate a hypothetical conversion back to rail, regardless of how unlikely it may be. That restricts what they can do in the Z-axis, so to speak.  It also ads cost.  This is despite a total lack of precedent for a rail trail going back to rail.  In my opinion, if trains ever run on these tracks again, it'll probably be some commuter rail that at least doesn't have the same vertical clearance requirements as freight tracks.
The engineer also commented on how "fun" it is to come up with a way to replace the UP railroad bridge over I-94 in the project area.

Speaking to Mike's point about a left lane drop; I did not notice any instance of that in any of the displays.

Lastly, I should mention that the engineer I talked to was actual a UW basketball player back when they made the Final Four like 10 years ago.  I only found this out after I had left, which is probably for the better.  I'd hate to keep a guy from his job.  (Go Badgers tonight!)

froggie

QuoteThis is despite a total lack of precedent for a rail trail going back to rail.  In my opinion, if trains ever run on these tracks again, it'll probably be some commuter rail that at least doesn't have the same vertical clearance requirements as freight tracks.

Can't think of any post-construction cases offhand, but there's at least 2 planning cases I know of, one in Minneapolis, another in the DC suburbs.

ToledoRoadgeek

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 24, 2011, 04:59:02 PM
Visited WisDOT's PIM this week about the Zoo Interchange.  It sounds like the "reduced impacts" alternative is receiving the most positive feedback. (see link in thread's first post)
And by and large I'd have to agree that it's the best one.  The complicated series of ramps and frontage roads along US 45 north of the Zoo in the other alternatives seem like overkill.  Plus, I'm starting to dig the wild parclo at Watertown Plank.  My only concern with the R.I. Alt is the spacing between service ramps in a couple spots.  Graphics on display indicated interchange would operate at LOS D or better during normal peak conditions with the R.I. Alt.  At this point, I'd expect the final design to closely resemble the R.I. Alt.

In talking with one of the engineers, one of the bigger complicating factors in working with this interchange is rail-related.  The rail-trail corridor that parallels I-94 in this area requires that they make bridges high enough to accommodate a hypothetical conversion back to rail, regardless of how unlikely it may be. That restricts what they can do in the Z-axis, so to speak.  It also ads cost.  This is despite a total lack of precedent for a rail trail going back to rail.  In my opinion, if trains ever run on these tracks again, it'll probably be some commuter rail that at least doesn't have the same vertical clearance requirements as freight tracks.
The engineer also commented on how "fun" it is to come up with a way to replace the UP railroad bridge over I-94 in the project area.

Speaking to Mike's point about a left lane drop; I did not notice any instance of that in any of the displays.

Lastly, I should mention that the engineer I talked to was actual a UW basketball player back when they made the Final Four like 10 years ago.  I only found this out after I had left, which is probably for the better.  I'd hate to keep a guy from his job.  (Go Badgers tonight!)

Driven through this interchange quite a few times on the way to MN.  In looking at the aerials for the "reduced impacts" plan, it looks like I-94 narrows to 2 lanes in each direction through the interchange.  I was just curious if they were planning on leaving room for a future third lane or HOV/HOT lane in each direction?  Seems to me like that would leave a pretty nasty bottleneck, but you live there so you would know better than I.

Revive 755

Couple comments from a trip to the Milwaukee area today:

* The WI 794 freeway/Lake Parkway has got to be one of the worst speed traps in the country; seriously, that route can easily be posted at 55, not 40.

* There's about as much redevelopment along I-794 as there is in the old Park Freeway East corridor.  It might have helped if I took an old map with me to be sure, but I think a lot of the corridor was still open.  In any case, the traffic signal timing for the replacement street is appalling, as is the font on one of the street signs.

* Whoever is in charge of construction that blocked access to the ramp near Marquette Interchange to WB I-94 did not bother to cover up all the signs directing traffic to this ramp.

* WB I-94 west of the US 41 interchange was awfully congested for a Saturday (most likely from the construction).

* The ramp meters around Milwaukee are a bit irritating, especially on I-94 west of I-894.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ToledoRoadgeek on April 02, 2011, 11:55:38 AMIn looking at the aerials for the "reduced impacts" plan, it looks like I-94 narrows to 2 lanes in each direction through the interchange.  I was just curious if they were planning on leaving room for a future third lane or HOV/HOT lane in each direction?  Seems to me like that would leave a pretty nasty bottleneck, but you live there so you would know better than I.

As was the case when the Marquette Interchange was rebuilt, WisDOT will be leaving room for 6 lanes on I-94 through the interchange. They might be able to to get away with 4 lanes in the near term as most of the delays the Zoo Interchange experiences are due to merging traffic.

Quote from: Revive 755Whoever is in charge of construction that blocked access to the ramp near Marquette Interchange to WB I-94 did not bother to cover up all the signs directing traffic to this ramp.
Where is that specifically?  Is this the entrance from 2nd St? 

Quote from: Revive 755There's about as much redevelopment along I-794 as there is in the old Park Freeway East corridor.  It might have helped if I took an old map with me to be sure, but I think a lot of the corridor was still open.  In any case, the traffic signal timing for the replacement street is appalling, as is the font on one of the street signs.

McKinley Ave replaced the Park East Spur and I am quite familiar with the signal timing and the sluggish redevelopment of the land.  Currently, only two buildings occupy space once used by the freeway; the Kern Center on the Milwaukee School of Engineering campus and a hotel on the west bank of the river.  The one thing those parcels have in common is they were not under the control of Milwaukee County after the razing of the Park East.  Another parcel has been approved for use as a parking structure for MSOE with an athletic field atop it.

Revive 755

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 04, 2011, 02:42:27 PM
Quote from: Revive 755Whoever is in charge of construction that blocked access to the ramp near Marquette Interchange to WB I-94 did not bother to cover up all the signs directing traffic to this ramp.
Where is that specifically?  Is this the entrance from 2nd St?

No, the ramp near the Lovell-Clybourn intersection.

on_wisconsin

QuoteCity gives I-94 work cold shoulder
Barrett wants to nip any idea for wider freeway

By Tom Held of the Journal Sentinel

In the eyes of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and other top city leaders, the broad shoulders in the plans for rebuilding I-94 near Miller Park look like an attempt to muscle forward an expansion of the east-west freeway.

Two top officials in the city Department of Public Works have asked that the super-sized shoulders - 18 feet wide compared with the standard 12 feet - be removed from the state's plans to rebuild the Zoo Interchange, and the mayor backed that request in an interview.

"We are concerned about this whole notion of 18-foot shoulders," Barrett said. "We don't want a backdoor waiver from the federal government to allow them to transform them into lanes.

"We want to be vocal and consistent and raise the issue right now."

Barrett, neighborhood groups and the Milwaukee Common Council have long opposed expansion of the freeway between the Zoo Interchange on the western edge of the city and the Marquette Interchange downtown.

In 2002, the council adopted a resolution opposing expansion of that section of freeway.

In 2009, however, engineers from the state Department of Transportation put forward a plan to expand I-94 to eight lanes - four in each direction - from 70th St. to 124th St. It was one of the favored alternatives for the Zoo Interchange reconstruction, and the most expensive, with a price tag of $2.3 billion.

It also required removal of 39 properties, including homes and businesses along I-94.

The draft plan made the case that eight lanes would be necessary to reduce congestion on a portion of freeway that carries roughly 150,000 to 175,000 vehicles a day, based on DOT figures.

That plan was delayed by Gov. Jim Doyle, who put little money into the project in his 2009-'11 budget.

Under Gov. Scott Walker, the DOT shaved the Interchange reconstruction cost to $1.7 billion, in large part by keeping the east-west freeway six lanes, with the wider shoulders built in to provide for future expansion. The shoulders would be on the median side of the freeway.

In the revised interchange plans, Interstate 894/Highway 45 would be expanded to eight lanes in the preferred option, now under consideration.

The letter objecting to the super-sized shoulders was sent by City Engineer Jeffrey Polenske and Commissioner of Public Works Jeffrey Mantes, as part of the public comment on the alternatives presented by the DOT last month.

The city officials noted that the option including the wide shoulders would require demolition of an eight-unit apartment complex on Chester St., near N. 92nd St., and push the freeway closer to other homes and businesses. They suggested the DOT follow an alternate plan: three lanes in each direction on I-94 with frontage roads between 76th and 84th streets, serving as part of the freeway exit and entrance ramps.

That would incorporate a Texas U-turn design for the interchange at 84th St.

"It's been my position and the city's long-held position, we don't want neighborhoods, cemeteries or businesses disturbed," Barrett said.

In their letter, Polenske and Mantes also asked that the DOT incorporate a transit option and "take a more proactive role in the development of intercity rapid and express transit service in the region."

A spokeswoman for the DOT said the recommendations from city officials would be considered, along with the other comments provided as part of the public hearings.

Bob Gutierrez, Zoo Interchange project director with the DOT, said the expanded shoulders would be vital for traffic flow during the reconstruction project. In addition, they also could be used for an added traffic lane if and when that became necessary.

In an earlier interview, Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb said the alternative shared in March was responsive to the objections of the local residents, reduced the footprint of the freeway, yet provided an option for expansion if necessary.

"We have the ability to be expansive in the future," he said.

With regard to transit, Gottlieb repeated that the responsibility to develop public transit rested with local governments and regional transit authorities. Adding buses or light rail would not alleviate the need to improve and possibly expand the freeway, he said.

Now that the public comment period has closed, the DOT can complete its preferred option for the Zoo Interchange work and submit its plans to the Federal Highway Administration.

If approved, the construction would start on local streets in 2013 and 2014. The major rebuilding of the state's busiest interchange would start in 2015 and finish in 2018.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/119372674.html
:pan:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

triplemultiplex

No surprise here.  The Reduced Impacts Alternative for the Zoo Interchange is WisDOT's preferred alternative:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_2688.html_786229440.html

Looks like WisDOT has the url "zooic.org" reserved for the project.  Though right now it just redirects to the study's page.

SSOWorld

They sure like the u-shaped ramps.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Master son on May 31, 2011, 07:58:58 PM
They sure like the u-shaped ramps.

I wonder if a SPUI or a diverging diamond for this interchange at Waterdown Plank Rd would have enough capacity at this location?

The reduced impact variant might have some inconviences in the more long-term. One advantage of a service road would had put the local traffic going from US-18 to Waterdown Plank road separate from the main freeway lanes. Oh well...

triplemultiplex

WisDOT wrapped up the paving & bridge re-decking on I-94 (East-West Freeway portion) this week just in time for Summerfest.  WB has been particularly gnarly during this project as all traffic coming out of the Marquette interchange was crammed into two lanes by 25th St.  It's noteworthy that the two segments repaved this year (and next) flank the project limits for the Zoo Interchange.

EB 94 gets the same treatment next year in Milwaukee County.

Also this week, there's a minor shift down in the Mitchell Interchange for SB traffic as they move on to temporary ramps.  The interesting thing is the map WisDOT has:
http://www.plan94.org/assets/i94/documents/Mitchell_IC_construction_update_2B2C_052511.pdf
If you pay attention to the background map (the grey) it's actually some sort of staging map that shows the temporary alignments of the NB->WB & EB->SB ramps and the half complete Layton Ave. interchange.
Pretty cool.

InterstateNG

I drove through that eastbound on Saturday afternoon.  Surprisingly slow.
I demand an apology.

JREwing78

A curiosity I found on the I-94 North-South project in Milwaukee: Brand-new concrete overlaid with asphalt. Check out the pictures of the progress at Grange Ave: http://dailyreporter.com/i-94-slideshow/

OCGuy81

I always found Milwaukee to be an easy city to navigate, and it appears to have a nice freeway system for a city of its size.  One of the nicer things I've seen was on the 94/43 before the curves near the Mitchell Interchange.  There is a speed limit sign that will flash a warning "Too Fast for Curve" if that's indeed how the person is driving.

That'd be nice in some areas of southern California....though I'm sure easily ignored!

triplemultiplex

That sign will no longer be needed as WisDOT smooths out that curve.  In fact, it's been taken down already while the SB lanes get rebuilt near Howard Ave.  But there's another one SB on I-43 at North Ave.

This week there was a big checkpoint on the road to completing the Mitchell Interchange.  The new ramps for NB->WB and EB->SB opened along with most of the C/D lanes between College Ave and Layton.  They have yet to open on their connection back to I-43/94 north of Layton, however, resulting in some temporary detours for traffic between the airport and downtown.  By year's end, though, the core of the new interchange will be done with all system ramps open.

One cool aspect of the new system ramps is rather than traditional bridges, the ramps pass over and under each other in cut-and-cover-tunnels.  Very cool way to work within the existing footprint.

Jordanah1

does anyone know if there are any plans for reconstruction/expansion of US45/US41 north of Burleigh st? most of that roadway is in pretty rough shape, and there is often congestion north of the US41/US45 split near richfield. is there any plans/talks about even resurfacing this strech?
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

triplemultiplex

Looks like US 45 between Burleigh & Good Hope is scheduled for resurfacing in the next 3 years.  Aside from that, I don't see any paving or expansion plans before 2016.  That's kind of surprising considering how crummy the pavement is getting through Menomonee Falls and Germantown.

WisDOT is planning to modernize the last of the old service interchanges on US 41 there at WI 144 in Slinger in that time frame, so that'll be nice.  It'd be a good time to decommission that piece of WI 144 southwest of West Bend.

When SEWRPC did their big freeway study some ten years ago, they recommended six lanes for US 41 out to WI 60 (with 8 lanes to Good Hope), but other than that, I know of no plans for more lanes or anything.  And as a person who has joined the caravan of north-bounders on Friday afternoons, I don't really have a problem with that. It only seems like it slows a little through Falls due to the speed limit upping to 65 at the county line despite the freeway maintaining it's urban interchange spacing.  Really it's just a continuation of urban driving conditions up to County Line Road.

What's really inconvenient is losing that 3rd lane SB at WI 145 as if that freeway goes somewhere, only to get it back again at Good Hope.  I'm surprised they didn't let 41/45 keep 3 lanes SB when the Northwest Interchange was rebuilt in 2000.  The overpass at Good Hope is ready and waiting to accommodate such a correction.

triplemultiplex

Took a drive through the Mitchell Interchange while doing some errands today.  I needed to check out the tunnel ramp that opened last month for NB->WB.

I got on NB at College Ave to check out the new C/D setup which is pretty much in it's final configuration south of Layton Ave.  Here's the exit for the airport spur.

Here's the split between I-94 and I-894 which is now a full mile south of the actual interchange.  That overpass is Grange Ave.

Here's the entrance to the WB I-894 tunnel underneath I-94.  Note the little cartoony silhouette of Milwaukee's skyline complete with Miller Park and the Mitchell Park Domes on the left and the Art Museum and the US Bank Center on the right with some sailboats.  For the record, such a view of Milwaukee is impossible.

Inside the tunnel, two lanes are currently open.  When finished, there will be 3 lanes here.  Hence the extra space behind the temporary barrier on the left.

Here's the WB entrance ramp from 27th St getting 'decked' out.  This is first of multiple U ramps WisDOT is deploying around Milwaukee in the next decade.

I have more, but don't want to overload the thread.

SEWIGuy

That view of Milwaukee is impossible?  It is in the correct order if you look from the south...not to scale though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.