News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdfjkll

Quote from: bdmoss88 on April 24, 2023, 11:15:10 AM
I went through Prattville this weekend and westbound traffic has been moved to one lane of the new section of the 4-laning of US82. Eastbound was also one lane. I assume they are getting it ready to shift the one lane of eastbound traffic to the new lanes in order to rebuild/resurface the eastbound side?
Yeah, I assume the eastbound traffic will be moved onto the new westbound carriageway sometime this week or next week so that the contractor doing the eastbound carriageway bridge demo/rebuild and resurfacing/shoulder widening can start their work. The eastbound carriageway rebuild contractor will also pave the final wearing surface on the westbound carriageway once all traffic is in its final configuration. Speaking of, the contract to rebuild the eastbound carriageway let on April 7, so that eastbound rebuild will begin probably in the summer.

Voyager75

https://imgur.com/a/Z6P4tDK

Lawsuit aside, work is well underway for the new bridge in Gulf Shores. This is the clearing for the new roadway on the northside of the waterway and just east of the airport. Looks like bridge prep has started as well. Powerlines have already been relocated further south of AL-180 to make room for the new flyover terminus of the free section Beach Express.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/961ULkNU35PumxNC6?g_st=ic

Here's the clearing across Cotton Creek Drive for the roadway looking south

I've also seen that Gulf Shores is planning to build a new pedestrian bridge over the waterway between LuLu's and Tacky Jacks to eliminate the walkway on the AL-59 bridge and add a lane for southbound traffic.

https://www.gulfshoresal.gov/1784/Waterway-Village-Pedestrian-Bridge#:~:text=The%20new%20Waterway%20Village%20Pedestrian,area%20to%20East%2020th%20Avenue.

barcncpt44

An Alabama judge has ordered ALDOT to stop construction of the new Gulf Shores bridge.  The director of the Alabama Department of Transportation "acted in bad faith"  and attempted to put a "private company out of business"  while pursuing a $120 million alternative bridge in Gulf Shores while concealing his efforts from the public, a Montgomery County judge ruled in a blistering 80-page order released Wednesday.
https://www.al.com/news/2023/05/judge-aldot-director-negotiated-in-bad-faith-and-shocks-the-conscious-over-actions-on-beach-bridges.html

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

Rothman

Quote from: barcncpt44 on May 17, 2023, 03:25:02 PM
An Alabama judge has ordered ALDOT to stop construction of the new Gulf Shores bridge.  The director of the Alabama Department of Transportation "acted in bad faith"  and attempted to put a "private company out of business"  while pursuing a $120 million alternative bridge in Gulf Shores while concealing his efforts from the public, a Montgomery County judge ruled in a blistering 80-page order released Wednesday.
https://www.al.com/news/2023/05/judge-aldot-director-negotiated-in-bad-faith-and-shocks-the-conscious-over-actions-on-beach-bridges.html

Bizarre.  Would be really interesting if overturned on appeal given the language of this ruling.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Voyager75

Quote from: barcncpt44 on May 17, 2023, 03:25:02 PM

This Judge sounds like he has a stake in the toll bridge's finances. Calling it the  "Cooper bridge"  while the Governor's office has responded that they are behind a new free alternative is going to make this interesting. First I've seen that Orange Beach has the possibility of purchasing the toll bridge in 2033 so I see why they are fighting the new one. It's all petty politics as usual.

bigdave

Quote from: Voyager75 on May 18, 2023, 10:33:40 AM
This Judge sounds like he has a stake in the toll bridge's finances. Calling it the  "Cooper bridge"  while the Governor's office has responded that they are behind a new free alternative is going to make this interesting. First I've seen that Orange Beach has the possibility of purchasing the toll bridge in 2033 so I see why they are fighting the new one. It's all petty politics as usual.

Plus the bridge company pays Orange Beach $1.5 million per year. Easy money.

Voyager75

I've read and assumed that the toll operator plans to build a whole new 2nd bridge if they get their way. But this line taken from the article:

"Pool seemed to believe that BCBC's approach was sensible, saying the company offered to build two new lanes over its bridge, expand the number of toll plazas and make $70 million in additional infrastructure improvements"

Is the Judge implying and been told that they'll just simply add two lanes to the current bridge? Because that's not happening. You can get a third lane if you eliminate the emergency shoulders. Realistically a whole new bridge will have to be constructed and it won't cheap due to the length and height. That cost of a new 2nd bridge will be recouped from increased tolls.

codyg1985

More political pressure is coming to widen I-65 through Alabama, but ALDOT seems to be dragging their feet on it.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2023/05/alabama-lawmakers-look-to-prioritize-i-65-widening.html
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

barcncpt44

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

bigdave

Quote from: barcncpt44 on May 24, 2023, 07:56:13 PM

And Governor Kay Ivey said widening I-65 "Makes for easy headlines."
https://www.al.com/news/2023/05/alabama-gov-kay-ivey-smacks-back-on-ainsworths-i-65-pitches-makes-for-easy-headlines.html?utm_source=pocket_saves

Well in general it seems that the Governor prefers to builds roads from nowhere to nowhere through nowhere.  :popcorn:

froggie

Someone should remind the Lieutenant Governor that I-65 is not the entire state.

Tom958

Quote from: froggie on May 25, 2023, 10:28:31 PM
Someone should remind the Lieutenant Governor that I-65 is not the entire state.

True enough. We were discussing this in a Facebook group. I went all megageek and looked up the 2021 ADTs for the remaining four-lane sections of I-65:

near Airport Blvd, Mobile: 91-95k
south of I-165: 81k
I-165 to AL 158: 71k

(six lane ends)

south of US 45: 51k -->37k
Dolly Parton Bridges: 24k
north of Baldwin: 27k
north of AL 113: 27k
Lowndes Co: 36k
south of US 80: 54k

(six lanes through Montgomery)

north of AL 14: 59k
Autauga Co: 39k
Chilton Co: 43k-->48k
south of AL 25: 48k
north of US 31 Calera: 57k
south of US 31 Alabaster: 63k

(6-8 lanes through Birmingham)

north of Blount CR 5: 45k
at Cullman: 53k
north Cullman Co: 40k
Tennessee River: 50k
north of I-565: 37k
at Athens: 30k
north of Athens: 26k

This seemed to confirm my opinion that widening of I-65 wasn't needed south of Montgomery. However, a guy whose opinion I respect added, "Yes (widening is needed). Traffic during busy vacation times leads to F grade congestion for over 100 miles."

Having done all of that, I might as well note that traffic drops off significantly south of Montgomery: roughly 90k on I-65 and I-85 north of Montgomery, 70k on I-65, US 231, and US 80 to the south and west.

Tom958

Quote from: bigdave on May 25, 2023, 07:17:18 PMWell in general it seems that the Governor prefers to builds roads from nowhere to nowhere through nowhere.  :popcorn:

I can't believe that it's possible legally or politically for the governor to spend $700 million on a road to nowhere, especially in the face of other urgent priorities. WTF, Alabama?

formulanone

Quote from: Tom958 on May 28, 2023, 07:47:25 AM
Quote from: bigdave on May 25, 2023, 07:17:18 PMWell in general it seems that the Governor prefers to builds roads from nowhere to nowhere through nowhere.  :popcorn:

I can't believe that it's possible legally or politically for the governor to spend $700 million on a road to nowhere, especially in the face of other urgent priorities. WTF, Alabama?

I suppose it makes it harder to find the wasteful spending if you hide it in the boonies.

The section of I-65 that probably needs six lanes the most (Blount County line to Hartselle) would be the most expensive to build, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

asdfjkll

Quote from: formulanone on May 28, 2023, 08:57:21 AM

I suppose it makes it harder to find the wasteful spending if you hide it in the boonies.

The section of I-65 that probably needs six lanes the most (Blount County line to Hartselle) would be the most expensive to build, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Also between Exits 231 and 238 at the minimum. Currently a huge bottleneck forms on I-65 south at exit 238 cause the right 2 lanes in the 8-lane section become exit only and peel off the mainline. Local communities and the state/federal government are working together to put together $200m to make this project happen (much of the cost is bridge work that needs to be completed, 4 pairs of dual carriageway bridges between these aforementioned exits that'll probably be built to accomodate 8 lanes like the 2011 Pelham to Hoover widening, and the extra width inner shoulder elsewhere for that future 4th lane each direction). And if they have some extra Rebuild Alabama money to spend in the congestion relief sector extend the 6-lane to AL-25 (exit 228), and restripe 238 to 231 as a 8 lane.

Charles2

I wonder if Ivey's motivation to widen U.S. 43 is driven at least in part because she was born and reared in Camden, in Wilcox County?  While 43 doesn't pass through Wilcox County (for that matter, no U.S. route passes through there), this is the closest "major" route to her home turf.

barcncpt44

Well it's Alabama, where political paybacks means certain road projects get done.  Also, with an corrupt ALDOT, the most corrupt DOT in the country, road projects are all about politics and not needs.

Rothman

Quote from: barcncpt44 on June 04, 2023, 01:46:36 PM

Well it's Alabama, where political paybacks means certain road projects get done.  Also, with an corrupt ALDOT, the most corrupt DOT in the country, road projects are all about politics and not needs.
*citation needed*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

codyg1985

ALDOT is proposing converting the existing interchange to a diverging diamond at Exit 104 on I-20/59 in southwest Jefferson County. This interchange serves a truck stop and a Norfolk Southern intermodal facility.

https://www.dot.state.al.us/news/opmATRP20372022037.html
Cody Goodman

Voyager75

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 21, 2023, 09:58:19 AM
ALDOT is proposing converting the existing interchange to a diverging diamond at Exit 104 on I-20/59 in southwest Jefferson County. This interchange serves a truck stop and a Norfolk Southern intermodal facility.

As well as the continually growing West Jefferson/McCalla Industrial Park. My folks who live a few miles from there have heard rumors of a new Exit 102 at Lowetown road for the new Smuckers facility which is currently being built right there. They heard about the DDI too so maybe there's some truth to the rumor. Old Tuscaloosa Highway is becoming a completely different environment from 15 years ago. There was another huge facility going in on the SW side of the park along Kimbrell Cutoff Road but it apparently got cancelled a while back.

On a side note I was told years ago by one of the landowners in the area that when the state was looking for new sites for a relocated Birmingham International Airport 30 years ago, the land where the industrial park sits was in fact the first choice. That it was pretty much a done deal but something happened and the Steele and Chilton County sites became the two front runners before it was all scrapped.

asdfjkll

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 21, 2023, 09:58:19 AM

Exit 100 appears to be getting an upgrade as well, an add lanes and replace the bridge over I-20/59 on SR-216 at exit 100 appears in the 2024-2027 STIP for Tuscaloosa County: https://cpmsapps.dot.state.al.us/OfficeEngineer/ProjectReports2/StipRpts/Hwy/63_Hwy.pdf

I would like to see them add an auxillary lane between Exit 104 and I-459 northbound like already exists southbound. As the areas around exits 100 and 104 densify, I can see this area becoming a bottleneck/trouble spot in the future. Speaking of adding auxillary lanes, ALDOT will be doing exactly just that on I-85 south between SR-271 (Taylor Road) and SR-110 (Chantilly Parkway) in Montgomery. Bids for that project will be opened next week as part of the June 30th letting.

ttownfeen

Any word on the progress of the Gordo bypass?

And 43 is more than a road to nowhere. It will connect Tuscaloosa to Mobile.

rlb2024

Quote from: ttownfeen on June 27, 2023, 04:52:47 PM

It is also useful as a hurricane evacuation route for the Gulf Coast.

codyg1985

Quote from: ttownfeen on June 27, 2023, 04:52:47 PM

In the next six months ALDOT should let the base and pave contract for the Gordo bypass.
Cody Goodman

Tomahawkin

Cody G

Love your posts. What are your top 5 interstate improvements needed in Alabama?

OT a Buc'ees in NW Alabama would do wonders for the local residents up there along IH 22

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.