"DEAD END STREET" sign from New York City

Started by M3019C LPS20, April 07, 2014, 01:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

After nearly four years, my search for a New York City "DEAD END STREET" sign has ended. I recently stumbled upon one, and it is in good shape. I believe it dates back to the 1980s, and the label of "DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION" is on the bottom. Older ones used to have "DEPT OF TRAFFIC" prior to name change in the mid 1970s. It is a standard 24" X 24" diamond, and the message itself was once common to see throughout New York City for a long period of time.

The new "DEAD END" signs first appeared on New York City streets in the 1990s or so, and, since then, these have been replacing the older ones. Not many still remain in useful service to this day, and they continue to dwindle.

While this might appear as an ordinary sign to someone, this is one of my favorite N.Y.C. signs. It is hard for me to explain why, but it has always captured my attention.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.