News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-55 Bridge in Memphis

Started by Charles2, October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 15, 2015, 12:01:39 AM
I would also put some money towards improving the pier protection and river navigation under it and the other bridges, maybe make it so all three bridges have skirting around the piers that are almost in line with each other, that way water cannot get around them and carve out mud and such from underneath them.

Also, why doesn't memphis have another road connection to Arkansas? The nearest one north is the I-155 bridge, and the nearest one south is in Helena. I'd like to see a bypass bridge be built, going from I-55 to I-40 way south of the city, or even a full upgrade of US49 to interstate standards to connect the two roads would be useful.

Pier and scour protection would be nice. Scour is the number one cause of bridge failure.

As for a third bridge. I would like to see either end of I-269 extended west across the Mississippi to reconnect with I-40 west of West Memphis. For through I-40 traffic and I-55 traffic, it would make sense to build the bridge along the southern portion of I-69 where it diverges near US 61. (Corridor 2 in the document that NE2 linked to)
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: Tom958 on January 15, 2015, 01:13:53 AM
There's a fairly recent study for a third Memphis crossing on TDoT's website
Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2015, 01:46:25 AM
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/documents/MRCstudy.pdf (first Goog result for third Memphis crossing)
Maps on pages 52, 59, and 80.

The Southern Gateway Project is a more recent study of a third Mississippi River crossing for Memphis and here is the Southern Gateway Project website.  The Southern Gateway project is currently on hold due to lack of money, and they were in the process of narrowing down from seven corridor alternatives to three alternatives when it was placed on hold.  Here is a snip of a map of the seven alternatives:

(above map from page 38/112 of PURPOSE AND NEED AND STUDY AREA PACKAGE pdf (page 34 of document))

IIRC, what amounted to a westward extension of TN 300 was the preferred location.

An additional problem for Corridors V1-6 (possible TN 300 extension) and V1-7 is that those corridors would arguably require the construction of I-69 in the Memphis area as a prerequisite for the selection of either one, as reflected in documents discussed in this post from a dormant Southern Gateway thread.

Maybe if Congress will enact a new multi-year reauthorization, then the Southern Gateway project and the Crump Boulevard interchange (trying to keep this post on topic  :awesomeface:) will both be able to proceed in a timely manner.

robbones

So apparently up river in St. Louis, they are replacing the I 55 ramps

Tom958

Quote from: Grzrd on January 15, 2015, 09:04:55 AMThe Southern Gateway Project is...

Thanks for that.     :sombrero:

Quote from: Grzrd
IIRC, what amounted to a westward extension of TN 300 was the preferred location.

An additional problem for Corridors V1-6 (possible TN 300 extension) and V1-7 is that those corridors would arguably require the construction of I-69 in the Memphis area as a prerequisite for the selection of either one, as reflected in documents discussed in this post from a dormant Southern Gateway thread.

After looking at the truck volume maps from the previous study, it's hard for me to imagine that to be a serious issue. Traffic on the I-40 axis seems dominant. IOW,

Quote from: GrzrdMaybe if Congress will enact a new multi-year reauthorization, then the Southern Gateway project and the Crump Boulevard interchange (trying to keep this post on topic  :awesomeface:) will both be able to proceed in a timely manner.

Here's hoping.   :poke:

TrevorB

golden eagle

This is going to be a clusterfudge. How are they gonna fit 55K+ cars onto I-40 without causing a major headache?

Tom958

Quote from: golden eagle on May 30, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
This is going to be a clusterfudge. How are they gonna fit 55K+ cars onto I-40 without causing a major headache?

There, that was easy!  :-D

codyg1985

I wonder just how bad the congestion will be when the I-55 bridge is closed? I wonder if it would warrant placing message boards far away from the bridge to encourage through motorists to use other bridges? An alternate that could work would be I-40 to US 412 to I-155 to I-55 for I-40 through traffic.
Cody Goodman

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 03, 2015, 05:39:07 PM
I wonder just how bad the congestion will be when the I-55 bridge is closed? I wonder if it would warrant placing message boards far away from the bridge to encourage through motorists to use other bridges? An alternate that could work would be I-40 to US 412 to I-155 to I-55 for I-40 through traffic.

The combined AADT assuming no diversions would be 110k or so; at rush hour things might get dicey but the "new" bridge, with 6 lanes, should have capacity for 8k vph or more in each direction. West Memphis really doesn't have much of a commuter population.

The bottleneck is likely to be the Memphis approach span which narrows to 4 lanes for a few thousand feet through the first exit. TDOT could probably close the shoulder and a ramp or two and restripe it for 6 through lanes temporarily and the bridge and Arkansas approach could be restriped to add a lane each way if absolutely needed.

iBallasticwolf2

Well at least it is only going to be closed for 9 months instead of the original 2 year span of closure. :clap:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

AHTD

Our friends over at TDOT have produced this illustration of the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Br8U_m3OEg&feature=youtu.be

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

rte66man

Quote from: AHTD on June 05, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Our friends over at TDOT have produced this illustration of the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Br8U_m3OEg&feature=youtu.be

Nice PR film.  I would rather have seen more details on the interim traffic flows instead of he verbal descriptions.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

They are talking about design-build as it if it is this radical new form of construction that would magically allow the bridge to not have to close at all. It still doesn't answer the question as to how traffic would be maintained through the area without closing the bridge.

Closing the bridge would be hugely disruptive, but looking at the satellite photos, there are just so many constraints in the area (French Fort in the SW quadrant of the interchange and the BNSF and UP rail lines to the north of the interchange) that it would be extremely difficult to maintain even two lanes through the area unless you somehow cut off access to Crump Blvd and Riverside Drive to allow I-55 to flow freely through there.
Cody Goodman

Rothman

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 26, 2015, 04:04:24 PM
They are talking about design-build as it if it is this radical new form of construction that would magically allow the bridge to not have to close at all.

Heh.  This disease affects NY as well.  You say "design-build" and all of a sudden engineers start thinking that you can do a major bridge replacement in two weeks or less.  Reality hits sooner or later.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2015, 06:16:02 AM
It has been announced that the 55 bridge will NOT close.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/25/plan-dropped-to-shut-bridge-at-memphis-/

Gotta love editors and their headlines. Nowhere in this story is there an official comment from TDOT that the bridge won't close. Read the story again carefully.

AHTD

They are talking about design-build as it if it is this radical new form of construction that would magically allow the bridge to not have to close at all. It still doesn't answer the question as to how traffic would be maintained through the area without closing the bridge.

Closing the bridge would be hugely disruptive, but looking at the satellite photos, there are just so many constraints in the area (French Fort in the SW quadrant of the interchange and the BNSF and UP rail lines to the north of the interchange) that it would be extremely difficult to maintain even two lanes through the area unless you somehow cut off access to Crump Blvd and Riverside Drive to allow I-55 to flow freely through there.

From what we understand, closing the bridge for only 9 months= a three-year project. Not closing the bridge = a six-year project.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on July 28, 2015, 12:30:30 AM

From what we understand, closing the bridge for only 9 months= a three-year project. Not closing the bridge = a six-year project.

That is what I have heard as well.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

I have lived in Memphis and in Marked Tree. The amount of folklore in east Arkansas commuting to work across that bridge is significant to the region. Take the health care considerations that many depend on is in Memphis as well. If the Old Bridge is closed for any length of time it is going to have an adverse effect on thousands of folks. The easy to see nightmare senario is a major wreck eastbound over the New Bridge. It may literally cost lives outside of the wreck itself.

The only way that bridge should allowed to be closed outside of it's actual failure is a third bridge first. The obvious choice is the V1-1 option. That connects to the I-69 area in Tunica, as it would provide a I-40 relief route as it will tie into the southern leg of I-269 and curve up to I-40.
It would also connect the Intermodal facilities due north of the Lehi exit just west of West Memphis to the DCs in North Miss and open up another area for growth on the Arkansas side.

Think about this, Little Rock has how many bridges over the Arkansas? Isn't there a replacement underway around the rivermarket/ ballpark/arena area? Add the new I-30 bridge in addition to the  the other two and there's going to be just one across the Mississippi to Memphis for nearly a year? That's truly a WTF situation.  There should be four minimum with the other up north from US 63 /I-55 that would tie into the the I-69/I-269 interchange in Millington.

Think about this. FT. Smith has more bridge crossing than Arkansas/Tennessee. And...that's not including the I-49 bridge that seems to be en vouge to push to get built.  It's insane.

It makes the silliness of the I-69 bridge seem even more absurd that it might happen before a third Memphis bridge. In fact, the V1-1 option should be the I-69 bridge as well.

codyg1985

If you compare St. Louis with Memphis: the 2014 St. Louis MSA population estimate is 2,806,207, and the Memphis MSA population estimate is 1,343,230, which is more than half the size of STL. STL has eight bridge crossings (four of which are interstate crossings and another which is a divided highway) while there are only two for Memphis.

I guess one other factor is that there is more population across the river from STL than across the river from Memphis.

Still, I agree 100% that there should be more bridges and more redundancy for river crossings in Memphis, and it is ludicrous that there aren't any.

FWIW, I don't think the I-69 bridge will be built anytime soon either.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Quote from: AHTD on July 27, 2015, 11:53:21 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2015, 06:16:02 AM
It has been announced that the 55 bridge will NOT close.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/25/plan-dropped-to-shut-bridge-at-memphis-/

Gotta love editors and their headlines. Nowhere in this story is there an official comment from TDOT that the bridge won't close. Read the story again carefully.

TDOT has announced they were going to study bridge closure impacts further. http://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/16480
Cody Goodman

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 30, 2015, 07:54:38 AM
If you compare St. Louis with Memphis: the 2014 St. Louis MSA population estimate is 2,806,207, and the Memphis MSA population estimate is 1,343,230, which is more than half the size of STL. STL has eight bridge crossings (four of which are interstate crossings and another which is a divided highway) while there are only two for Memphis.

I guess one other factor is that there is more population across the river from STL than across the river from Memphis.

Still, I agree 100% that there should be more bridges and more redundancy for river crossings in Memphis, and it is ludicrous that there aren't any.

FWIW, I don't think the I-69 bridge will be built anytime soon either.

The vast majority of the StL MSA that you cite live on the western side. West Memphis and East St. Louis are nearly identical in size you throw out Belleville, I'll come back with Jonesboro. Come back with O'Fallon, I'll answer with Marion, and on and on...

The simple fact of the matter is that Arkansas' Washington delegation did a piss poor job of selling out with little bacon to sizzle back home over the years. Little Rock was more concerned with Little Rock or pet projects like 67, which still will not still not completely connect with Jonesboro on an all interstate standard road. Look at the growth of North Mississippi over the past 30 years, all because of connectivity. There wasn't much difference between the two areas in the early 80s. If there would have been one or two more crossings , Arkansas could have got in on that and the State as a whole benefited from it. There is zero reasons Arkansas should not demand be part of a  third loop around Memphis instead only Tennessee and Mississippi will benefit once I-269 is complete. Yeah, I count the Parkways in Memphis as the first loop. .

Rant complete

lordsutch

Jonesboro is like an hour+ from even downtown Memphis. It's not even counted in the same MSA by the Census Bureau.

The thing that kills West Memphis as a Memphis suburb is the floodplain, not access (it's much harder to get to Olive Branch than most of West Memphis from downtown, but Olive Branch has grown far more). It also doesn't help that TN lacks a (general) income tax, so there's a disincentive for people to leave the state because they have to pay state income tax on their TN earnings if they do, unlike MO versus IL where it's more of a wash.

And the AR delegation had no juice to get things so they squabbled over nonsense like the Dickey Split to try to get a freeway from Pine Bluff to West Memphis that mostly would duplicate I-40, and prioritizing roads to Little Rock (US 67, I-530) and NW Ark over developing the Delta and the West Memphis area (in fairness, because that's where the voters are in Arkansas).  Plus BRAC kicked Blytheville in the nuts and the place has never recovered, further pushing the state's political center of gravity west. AR also hung its hat on Clinton initiatives like the DRC that was supposed to be the Mississippi Valley's version of ARC but hasn't done anything much except generate studies after studies (which has helped drag down I-69 with it, since that was supposed to be the big centerpiece of DRC).

By contrast, the MS delegation had to pay attention to the Southaven area because it was one of the 3-4 largest in the state (even back in the 80s, Southaven + Horn Lake was bigger than W Memphis). And they had juice: MS had seniority in both the House and Senate for decades, MS and TN both had senate majority leaders, MS and TN went Republican with the 1994 wave while AR stuck with Democrats well past the time they'd lost the majority due to Clinton's coattails. And of course MS invested in roads in the 1987 Four-Lane program, which means MS has effectively had a completed I-22 for over a decade while AR is still piddling around trying to get US 67 up to Walnut Ridge and half-assing I-530 after half-assing parallel US 425 before it.

Wayward Memphian

An hour is nothing , it's 70 miles. I grew at the half way point in Marked Tree.  I've lived in Memphis. Attended ASU. I have made the trip numerous times.

You say floodplain, not really. Sure, there's the levee and the area between but much of area isn't going undergoing, there's little area between Marion and West Memphis that has an issue but there plenty of land that doesn't. You bring something else up, when hasn't Arkansas ever pursued building up faux Islands between the two interstates. Mud Island is mostly built up. 2013 showed it needed to be a foot or two higher . I struck me why it wS never done when Arkansas built the new scales on each bridge approach.  The State should have bought up all the land in between the interstates and made islands on the portion east and west of the rail lines and set aside the land dissected by the tracks as wetland mitigation land. Possibly awarded to companies that build superprojects in east Arkansas. I have been told the thing that tilted the Toyota suv plant to Tupelo was Mississippi offering a piece of land in honor of Toyota to conservation. Marketing issues landed the truck line in San Antonio. Marion got the axle plant for both facilities.

But it still doesn't address the shear need for another crossing or two.  I suppose it will actually take an earthquake to get it done. If Tenn had the old bridge closed and a barge got loose in high water and slammed into the new bridge pier and caused it to close the chaos will be elightening.

There are too few ways to cross in the area, period, end of story. Realize this, when ADHT does there little I-30 improvement, there will be able 10 lanes across the Arkansas on I-30 alone not counting the other 12 lanes of Interstate across it. Total crossing into Memphis 5 lanes each way total of ten. 22 to 10 and one side wanted to close 40 percent of them down for 9 months in one of the highest traffic truck corridors around.

Again, assinine.

cbalducc

Suppose the Memphis-Arkansas bridge were closed.  Could the Hernando Desoto bridge handle all the traffic?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.