News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

I was on US-23 in Waverly with a buddy and when we would turn back onto 23 the GPS on his phone would say to "get back on Corridor C". People deeper in Appalachia call some of the corridors by their letter but people in Ohio generally don't. I wonder why the GPS would use unpopular nomenclature. I don't know which one he was using. Do you know of any other GPSes that do this?

vtk

I think I recently saw that name appear on Google Maps
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SkyPesos

I've heard OH 32 called "Appalachian Highway"  by a GPS before. At least it's officially signed on reassurance shields, but just the number would be much more useful here. Now waiting for whenever a GPS calls it "Corridor D"  to confuse every non-roadgeek.

bandit957

Does anyone remember a weird I-75 shield in Cincinnati near Union Terminal? It was on a city street, not a freeway. It was a 2-digit shield, but it appeared as if they tried to cram the number 275 onto it. Yet the 2 was covered up or painted over. This was back around 1987 when I saw this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

seicer

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 29, 2023, 09:37:28 PM
I was on US-23 in Waverly with a buddy and when we would turn back onto 23 the GPS on his phone would say to "get back on Corridor C". People deeper in Appalachia call some of the corridors by their letter but people in Ohio generally don't. I wonder why the GPS would use unpopular nomenclature. I don't know which one he was using. Do you know of any other GPSes that do this?

When you could edit Google Maps (and, to an extent, Waze), roadgeeks (and probably those with some fixation on being extremely detailed) were editing routes to have only particular names/route numbers display - that were not commonly used but perhaps true to what's on the state's GIS.

- US 119 south of Charleston, West Virginia, became "Corridor G" even though that is rarely used anymore by name. You'll find "Corridor G" on mile markers.
- Mountain Parkway in Kentucky became KY 9000 and 9009, even though both are not signed.
- US 48 in West Virginia became "Corridor H." And while that may be a fairly popular term - it's one designation for a highway with multiple designations, it's not really signed as such. You'll only find "Corridor H" signed on mile markers.

Don't even get me started on fraction routes, which Google Maps can't handle at all.

Or multiple instances recently of being told to turn on routes that weren't signed as such. Google Maps has become especially bad with this.

GCrites

When I lived in Huntington (mid-2000s) the local news used the term Corridor G constantly.

seicer

And viaducts for underpasses.

Bitmapped

Quote from: GCrites80s on July 05, 2023, 11:06:48 AM
When I lived in Huntington (mid-2000s) the local news used the term Corridor G constantly.

Corridor G is commonly used to refer to US 119 in the Charleston area, especially in conjunction with the shopping areas along it.

GCrites

Today I went out front and found a bag on my mailbox (and everyone else's in the neighborhood). It had a Franklin County Engineer logo on it. Inside was a county map, 108-page county atlas which is a zoomed in version of the county map and a flyer about a roundabout going in near me at OH-317 and Rohr Road. Pretty neat!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

108 pages for a county atlas?!? Thats alot of pages for 544 sq. miles.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GCrites

40 pages of it is the street finder and there are also other types of maps.

paulthemapguy

Reminds me of perhaps the most nostalgic map I can find, the Chicagoland Rand McNally Streetfinder. I'd guess that other metro areas got this treatment as well by Rand McNally.  But this was a collection of 8.5" by 11" maps used to look in-depth for any little side street where your destination might be.  This is what we had for directions before Mapquest! A couple hundred pages of maps at a scale of 1" = 1/2 of a mile, bound into a book half the size of a dictionary.  This book of maps inspired me to draw out imaginary cities the way that I do, at a scale of 1" = 1/2 mile.

1998 streetfinder by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

bandit957

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 24, 2023, 10:01:15 AM
Reminds me of perhaps the most nostalgic map I can find, the Chicagoland Rand McNally Streetfinder. I'd guess that other metro areas got this treatment as well by Rand McNally.  But this was a collection of 8.5" by 11" maps used to look in-depth for any little side street where your destination might be.  This is what we had for directions before Mapquest! A couple hundred pages of maps at a scale of 1" = 1/2 of a mile, bound into a book half the size of a dictionary.  This book of maps inspired me to draw out imaginary cities the way that I do, at a scale of 1" = 1/2 mile.

We always used the Graphic Street Guides "in convenient book form" that were put out by Metro Graphic Arts. But the ones for northern Kentucky and Cincinnati were only maybe 30 or 40 pages, and no color.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

thenetwork

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2023, 10:16:54 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 24, 2023, 10:01:15 AM

We always used the Graphic Street Guides "in convenient book form" that were put out by Metro Graphic Arts. But the ones for northern Kentucky and Cincinnati were only maybe 30 or 40 pages, and no color.

The map company that was KING of Northeast Ohio was Commercial Survey Company of Cleveland.

They made map books which covered one or two counties from Port Clinton to Ashtabula and from Lake Erie to Mansfield and Canton.

The red-covered books sold everywhere, usually all editions were available.  The maps themselves were black and white, but large enough and pleasing to the eyes as it usually took 40 pages +/‐ to fully cover the counties in each book.

They were so well made, a lot of pizza places got personalized, enlarged wall map versions of their neighborhood delivery area.

I used them all the time for work.  You weren't a true Clevelander if you did not have at least one copy somewhere in your possession.

Unfortunately, they went out of business about 10-15vyears ago and I was unable to find any sample pages online either.

The only maps that were better locally were the ones put out by the Cleveland AAA office and the RMcN -- both were in color.

Bitmapped

Quote from: thenetwork on July 24, 2023, 07:11:55 PM
The map company that was KING of Northeast Ohio was Commercial Survey Company of Cleveland.

They made map books which covered one or two counties from Port Clinton to Ashtabula and from Lake Erie to Mansfield and Canton.

The red-covered books sold everywhere, usually all editions were available.  The maps themselves were black and white, but large enough and pleasing to the eyes as it usually took 40 pages +/‐ to fully cover the counties in each book.

They were so well made, a lot of pizza places got personalized, enlarged wall map versions of their neighborhood delivery area.

I used them all the time for work.  You weren't a true Clevelander if you did not have at least one copy somewhere in your possession.

Unfortunately, they went out of business about 10-15vyears ago and I was unable to find any sample pages online either.

The only maps that were better locally were the ones put out by the Cleveland AAA office and the RMcN -- both were in color.

I had the Commercial Survey maps for a number of counties when I was growing up. They were great maps and also would sometimes have Easter eggs like planned routes, such as the proposed relocated OH 43 around Canton. It's a shame they went out of business, but I can understand how Google Maps would have decimated their business.

zzcarp

I just saw this project from a Facebook friend. Apparently the east OH 2 - OH 53 interchange in Portage Township/Ottawa County will be partially reconfigured. Currently a traditional trumpet, they are adding roundabouts on the north side of OH 2 for the WB exit and entrance ramps as well as at the OH 53 - State Road intersection. OH 53 will be closed from Labor Day 2023 to Memorial Day 2024.

While I think it looks bizarre, it's probably due to the close proximity of the exit to State Road that they added the roundabouts to the offramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHuNAtL3aWE

So many miles and so many roads

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 25, 2023, 09:59:40 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 24, 2023, 07:11:55 PM

I had the Commercial Survey maps for a number of counties when I was growing up. They were great maps and also would sometimes have Easter eggs like planned routes, such as the proposed relocated OH 43 around Canton. It's a shame they went out of business, but I can understand how Google Maps would have decimated their business.

When I got into map drawing at age 6 or 7, my parents got me a copy of every Commercial Survey Atlas they made (Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake & Geauga, Lorain & Medina, Trumbull & Mahoning, Summit & Portage (which I actually inherited an early 60s version from my grandparents), and Stark & Wayne)
So, I can recall all the various proposals between Alliance, Salem, and Youngstown, as well as a 4 lane (or Ohio Super 2) version of Oh 83 from Avon Lake to Holmes County, and a proposed Oh 435 from Kent south into Stark County.
I didn't realize the Commerical Survey folks had closed up show till 2021 when I started planning for the Cleveland Roadmeet.

countysigns

ODOT changes Perrysburg interchange to address safety
https://www.toledoblade.com/local/transportation/2023/07/26/odot-changes-perrysburg-interchange-address-safety/stories/20230726113

Right turns on red signals are no longer allowed at two State Rt. 25 exit ramps from I-475/U.S. 23 in Perrysburg.

The Ohio Department of Transportation made the change early Wednesday morning citing crash problems with vehicles using the ramps to enter Route 25, also known as Dixie Highway.

In a video posted to ODOT's local social media, Chris Waterfield, the district traffic engineer in Bowling Green, said the change was made because of rear-end collisions on the ramps.

When ODOT rebuilt the interchange into a "diverging diamond"  configuration six years ago, Mr. Waterfield said, it expected a 33 percent reduction in crashes there, mainly because the layout eliminates left turns across opposing lanes. But the crash reduction has only been 10 percent, he said.

The way the ramps' right-turn legs angle into the roadway means "you have to lean over the steering wheel, try and look over your left shoulder beyond the car or truck pillar, and look to the far side of the wall in the middle of the bridge to see oncoming traffic, and try to judge the gaps,"  Mr. Waterfield said.

New signs forbidding turns on a red light at those two locations were put up Wednesday morning. ODOT said they would have yellow "Notice"  placards affixed to call extra attention to the change, but as of late morning those placards were absent.

Amy Kincaid, a Perrysburg resident who bought gas at a nearby filling station Wednesday morning, said she doubts the new "No Turn on Red"  signs will have much of an impact.

"I don't think anybody was paying attention anyway – that's what causes the accidents,"  she said. "I don't think they [the new signs] will change much. They should have put bigger signs up. Half of the people stop, and half of the people try to go."

Another driver who declined to give her name said that while she was unhappy about the new rules, she also understood why the change was needed.

Turns onto Route 25 from the ramps' left-turn legs remain legal if the signal is red, as long as motorists stop and then yield to any approaching traffic. The distance ramp motorists have to see to make those left turns is greater, and Mr. Waterfield said in a follow-up, email interview that those intersections "are not showing a high frequency of crashes at this time."

The social-media statement described the "No Turn on Red"  signs as a "short-term"  solution for the problem with right turns on red. Mr. Waterfield said in the follow-up that any further changes will wait until any projects that result from a study of the I-475/U.S. 23 corridor through Perrysburg that is about to start.

"Our goal is to address the geometry of the ramps which would allow us to safely accommodate right turns on red. This configuration is the best way to mitigate safety concerns until then,"  he said.

The main "diverging diamond" features are intersections at either end of the freeway bridge where Route 25 traffic crosses over to the left side of the roadway, then back to the right at the other end.

The pattern allows left turns to be made onto the freeway entrances continuously, with no need for separate traffic-signal phases to govern those turns. That enables stoplights to operate with just two signal phases each cycle and reduces the number of locations within the interchange at which collisions can occur.

TempoNick

Why do some ODOT districts use deformed-looking state route shields? Or is this a City of Lancaster thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aV591F5DsAdNAkNm5pi_Ch8NUCRB4ekZ/view?usp=drive_link

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: TempoNick on July 30, 2023, 10:16:58 PM
Why do some ODOT districts use deformed-looking state route shields? Or is this a City of Lancaster thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aV591F5DsAdNAkNm5pi_Ch8NUCRB4ekZ/view?usp=drive_link

More of a Fairfield County thing (and it only seems to involve Oh 158).
Bridges 067
(This photo dates back to 2010)

TempoNick

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 30, 2023, 10:40:20 PM
Quote from: TempoNick on July 30, 2023, 10:16:58 PM

More of a Fairfield County thing (and it only seems to involve Oh 158).
Bridges 067
(This photo dates back to 2010)

I've seen a few other deformed shields throughout the state, but can't remember any specific ones off hand. Next time I encounter one, I'll stop and take a picture.

GCrites

Those signs make it look like Ohio got to the bottom of a bottle of Aftershock.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know kind of roadway would have continued from this interchange on OH 7: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4344063,-82.4570562,755m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. Was it to have been a relocation of OH 7 that never came into fruition?

seicer

When it was US 52, the four-lane terminated at https://goo.gl/maps/LUUNatvRkjqKakSy9 and crossed over the Sixth Street Bridge into Huntington. The extension to what you see there was finished in 1987.

Further east, Phase 1 completed the super-two controlled-access highway around Proctorville at https://goo.gl/maps/XCGd7jTPAtpyG2ME7, connecting to the super-two that was finished decades ago north towards Athalia.

Phase 2 between Chesapeake and Proctorville will be a mix of two- and four-lanes. Earthwork/drainage will begin in 2024. If it's any indication of the geology, there will be a few years before the ground will be allowed to settle before any pavement is constructed.

Project site: https://transportation.ohio.gov/projects/projects/75923
Renderings and project plans: https://publicinput.com/N4602

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 03, 2023, 12:06:59 PM
Does anyone know kind of roadway would have continued from this interchange on OH 7: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4344063,-82.4570562,755m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. Was it to have been a relocation of OH 7 that never came into fruition?

It certainly looks to me to be a never-completed part of an OH 7 bypass of Chesapeake, OH.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.