Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: GaryV on December 05, 2022, 08:08:33 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 28, 2022, 12:53:50 PM
I never got why MLB needed an extra regular-season game just to determine who would go to the postseason,
Maybe you'd prefer a World Cup type tiebreaker? Run differential (runs scored minus runs allowed) and then runs scored?

Or maybe "fair play" points (the team with fewer personnel ejections, or the team with the fewer number of aggregate games missed due to suspensions for on-field incidents [i.e. any steroid suspensions do not count])...
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 05, 2022, 08:17:37 AM
The tiebreakers I think are a bit dumb are some of the things soccer uses. There's no reason why head-to-head record shouldn't be the first tiebreaker used.

I don't know if this is the reason behind it, but by putting goal differential first, it seems to keep more teams alive longer, or in a wider variety of scenarios, than does going right to head to head.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

The tiebreakers I think are a bit dumb are some of the things soccer uses. There's no reason why head-to-head record shouldn't be the first tiebreaker used.

All tiebreakers have their faults.

Personally, the strength of schedule is the worst, because it varies based on the other teams' records as they play throughout the season. Those individual games vary based on weather, injuries and other factors.  Too many variables to make that a worthwhile tiebreaker.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 08, 2022, 02:19:59 PM

Personally, the strength of schedule is the worst, because it varies based on the other teams' records as they play throughout the season. Those individual games vary based on weather, injuries and other factors.  Too many variables to make that a worthwhile tiebreaker.

Although you make good points, I always did like strength of schedule.  In college football, it was a way to discourage frontloading your non-conference schedule with teams that visit your place to receive a 60-0 beatdown, but in the NFL, I always thought it was a good test of character.  If you are Team X and Team X is far greater than Team Y, then Team Y beat Team A, then why did Team X struggle so much against Team A?  I get what you are saying by weather, rest and other components, but I have always thought if you think of yourself as a superior team, then why, even when you win, did it take a last second field goal to beat a team that didn't make the playoffs?

Halian

The first tiebreaker in tournament Magic: The Gathering is opponents' aggregate winning percentage; I wonder if that might could work for the five major sports.
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

amroad17

^ Isn't that the same as strength of schedule?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 08, 2022, 02:19:59 PM

Common opponents is worse IMO. That has very little to no bearing on how good a team is relative to another team with the same record. Strength of schedule at least shows that team A is slightly more deserving than team B because they had the same record while playing a harder schedule.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Halian on January 02, 2023, 07:50:15 AM
The first tiebreaker in tournament Magic: The Gathering is opponents' aggregate winning percentage; I wonder if that might could work for the five major sports.

Well, if a team has a better winning percentage (seeing that 99.999% of the time all teams play the same number of games), there's no tie to break. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

dvferyance

That California has 5 baseball teams and the NYC area has 3 hockey teams.

hotdogPi

California has 1/8 of the US population. 4 would be typical, so 5 isn't too far out of the ordinary.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: dvferyance on February 13, 2023, 04:43:58 PM
That California has 5 baseball teams and the NYC area has 3 hockey teams.
I find it far more annoying that Florida has two NHL teams than NYC's three.

And, if it helps, I'd say the As are on borrowed time in Oakland.

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 28, 2022, 07:45:48 AM
What I find more annoying on that is media inconsistency. If you look at ESPN.com, for example, all the scores are listed in the normal way (visiting team on top, home team on the bottom)–except soccer scores, and the soccer scores are listed backwards even when they're listed together with the other sports. It's distracting and confusing, and there's no real reason to do that just because the Europeans do it that way (ESPN is not a European news outlet and they don't ordinarily use British spellings for things except proper nouns). Shortly before my father died, we turned on a DC United game and the score was listed as other team whatever, DC whatever. My father looked at it and said it didn't look like Audi Field and I said it wasn't–United were on the road–to which he said, "Wait, but they're listed second, so they're the home team." I said, "Apparently for soccer they do the opposite because the hardcore soccer fans complain if they don't." He was unaware of that and found it quite puzzling that they would inexplicably use a different system just for one sport.

Well with soccer the clock that does not countdown and you never know when the game will actually end.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2023, 04:48:52 PM
California has 1/8 of the US population. 4 would be typical, so 5 isn't too far out of the ordinary.

That, and they'll probably down to 4 soon anyways.

Bruce

Quote from: texaskdog on February 13, 2023, 04:53:37 PM
What I find more annoying on that is media inconsistency. If you look at ESPN.com, for example, all the scores are listed in the normal way (visiting team on top, home team on the bottom)–except soccer scores, and the soccer scores are listed backwards even when they're listed together with the other sports. It's distracting and confusing, and there's no real reason to do that just because the Europeans do it that way (ESPN is not a European news outlet and they don't ordinarily use British spellings for things except proper nouns). Shortly before my father died, we turned on a DC United game and the score was listed as other team whatever, DC whatever. My father looked at it and said it didn't look like Audi Field and I said it wasn't–United were on the road–to which he said, "Wait, but they're listed second, so they're the home team." I said, "Apparently for soccer they do the opposite because the hardcore soccer fans complain if they don't." He was unaware of that and found it quite puzzling that they would inexplicably use a different system just for one sport.

Well with soccer the clock that does not countdown and you never know when the game will actually end.

The game ends after roughly 90 minutes of play. Until the 2022 World Cup, stoppage time was rarely over 5 minutes. A 2-hour block is all I need to schedule my day around (unless it's a knockout game, in which case there's 30+ minutes to add on).

Baseball needs that kind of consistency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Bruce on February 17, 2023, 04:25:19 AM

The game ends after roughly 90 minutes of play. Until the 2022 World Cup, stoppage time was rarely over 5 minutes. A 2-hour block is all I need to schedule my day around (unless it's a knockout game, in which case there's 30+ minutes to add on).

Tough to do in a sport without a clock. The timer between pitches should help, unless it becomes an issue who to penalitize if they cant figure out who to attribute the delay to, and does the penalty restart the clock, adding more time? Outside of that, there's not too much that can be controlled timing wise. If there's a lot of pitches, that increases time. Runners on base emlpyee a different strategy that takes time. Lots of hits in an inning adds to time. Lots of variables.

JayhawkCO

Which is why baseball is largely unwatchable for me anymore.

Roadgeekteen

Baseball needs to end random mid inning pitching changes for the casual fan to ever be more excited. The games boring already without random mid inning mound visits. Also pitchers need to hurry the hell up with their pitches I don't have all day.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 01:43:02 PM
Baseball needs to end random mid inning pitching changes for the casual fan to ever be more excited. The games boring already without random mid inning mound visits. Also pitchers need to hurry the hell up with their pitches I don't have all day.

So when a pitcher is gassing out, the manager is just supposed to leave him in and fail?

There was nothing wrong with baseball.  It was fine the way it was.  Everyone just got shorter attention spans.  Don't like it?  Don't watch it. 

NWI_Irish96

There is a new rule as of a couple years ago that a pitcher can't be replaced mid-inning unless he's faced at least three batters, and a pitch clock is being implemented this year.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 17, 2023, 03:53:55 PM

There is a new rule as of a couple years ago that a pitcher can't be replaced mid-inning unless he's faced at least three batters, and a pitch clock is being implemented this year.
I've some people argue against a pitch clock as it would make pitchers worse. I actually think it's a good thing if baseball pitchers are not as good. The sport needs more action. It's why the MLB gained in popularity during the steroids era.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Bruce on February 17, 2023, 04:25:19 AM

But why can't the clock just count down and the added time be added?  NFL could never do this everyone would accuse the refs of rigging.

texaskdog

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2023, 02:43:11 PM

So when a pitcher is gassing out, the manager is just supposed to leave him in and fail?

There was nothing wrong with baseball.  It was fine the way it was.  Everyone just got shorter attention spans.  Don't like it?  Don't watch it. 

True, I tuned out years ago.  I like things like pitch clocks but the random runner on 2nd nonsense and no shifting is ridiculous.  Don't like shifting?  hit to the other side. 

texaskdog

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 17, 2023, 10:49:47 AM
Which is why baseball is largely unwatchable for me anymore.

I was a huge fan 1979-1986.  It hasnt evolved it has devolved.  Crazy to think how good players were back in the day and how it's such a fading sport now.

TheHighwayMan3561

People who think those who bet on sports should be given some kind of special consideration because they put money down on a game.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

I came across the term "pick six" during a football game a few days ago and its existence irritates me. The phrase "pick six" (or PK6 if you're short on space) was first used in horse racing; it is a bet where you pick the winners of six consecutive races. A football pick six has nothing to do with picking six of anything, it's just an interception returned for a touchdown. Just call it that, or if you're going to come up with a cute term for it, at least have the good sense to pick a term that's not already being used by another sport for something totally unrelated.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.