News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction

Started by silverback1065, July 26, 2020, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 30, 2021, 12:35:10 AM
I'm curious to see how far the advisories for this project will reach. I wouldn't be surprised if we had warning signage for this either via the overhead VMS signage scattered throughout Northwest Indiana, or if they put up temporary orange signs similar to what they did during the massive Borman reconstruction of 2004-12.

Given the size and scope of this project, and the impact it will have on the main drags of Indianapolis (as well as the surrounding surface streets), this is going to be a very big deal. It's sorely needed, but still...

I remember when they redid I-465 exit 37 they had them on I-69 as far out as Anderson. I would imagine they'll do something similar for this.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 30, 2021, 12:35:10 AM
I'm curious to see how far the advisories for this project will reach. I wouldn't be surprised if we had warning signage for this either via the overhead VMS signage scattered throughout Northwest Indiana, or if they put up temporary orange signs similar to what they did during the massive Borman reconstruction of 2004-12.

Given the size and scope of this project, and the impact it will have on the main drags of Indianapolis (as well as the surrounding surface streets), this is going to be a very big deal. It's sorely needed, but still...

Probably as far away as they can. I remember in the past the VMS (INDOT calls them DMS) in Indy were alerting for highway closures in Louisville. You can actually see what every overhead electronic sign is currently displaying by looking at INDOT's traffic wise map. http://pws.trafficwise.org/

silverback1065

jhuntin1

I know I-465 on the south side is going to get some upgrades as part of the I-69 project, but I'm going to bang the drum again that INDOT should have widened the southern part of the loop a long time ago, or at least once Accelerate 465 on the west side was done. The truck traffic alone should justify an extra set of lanes between the two I-70 interchanges.

I-55

Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 30, 2021, 03:51:42 PM
I know I-465 on the south side is going to get some upgrades as part of the I-69 project, but I'm going to bang the drum again that INDOT should have widened the southern part of the loop a long time ago, or at least once Accelerate 465 on the west side was done. The truck traffic alone should justify an extra set of lanes between the two I-70 interchanges.

The whole thing should be 8 mainline lanes, except at Exit 25 where it should be at least 3 through the interchange, 4 surrounding.

tdindy88

I was taking a look again at the upcoming ramp meters and closures along I-465 and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the closure of the ramp from Pendleton Pike (US 36/SR 67) onto I-465 south. What the hell does that exit have to do with any of the I-65 or I-70 detours through the city? I would wager that a good deal of that traffic is just taking I-465 south to I-70 to take it west into the city. And now they want all that traffic to head down to Shadeland to reach I-70. I bet some businesses along that way will be happy with the extra traffic. I must be missing something with the logic of closing that ramp.

At least they got rid of the dumb idea to close the ramp from I-465 onto Kentucky Avenue, you know, the detour for SR 37 due to all the I-69 construction down to Martinsville. Imagining wanting to go to Bloomington from the northwest side of Indy and having to take I-70 out to the airport just to take Ameriplex Parkway down to SR 67 to get to SR 39 and I-69.

The ramp closure from East Street to I-465 east at least makes more sense in reducing some of the congestion. But U-Turning at Harding Street to get back onto I-465 with all the semi trucks in that area. Yeah that will go well. Better off taking Hanna or Thompson Road and reaching the interstate via Keystone at I-65 or Emerson at I-465.

I-55

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 01, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
I was taking a look again at the upcoming ramp meters and closures along I-465 and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the closure of the ramp from Pendleton Pike (US 36/SR 67) onto I-465 south. What the hell does that exit have to do with any of the I-65 or I-70 detours through the city? I would wager that a good deal of that traffic is just taking I-465 south to I-70 to take it west into the city. And now they want all that traffic to head down to Shadeland to reach I-70. I bet some businesses along that way will be happy with the extra traffic. I must be missing something with the logic of closing that ramp.

At least they got rid of the dumb idea to close the ramp from I-465 onto Kentucky Avenue, you know, the detour for SR 37 due to all the I-69 construction down to Martinsville. Imagining wanting to go to Bloomington from the northwest side of Indy and having to take I-70 out to the airport just to take Ameriplex Parkway down to SR 67 to get to SR 39 and I-69.

The ramp closure from East Street to I-465 east at least makes more sense in reducing some of the congestion. But U-Turning at Harding Street to get back onto I-465 with all the semi trucks in that area. Yeah that will go well. Better off taking Hanna or Thompson Road and reaching the interstate via Keystone at I-65 or Emerson at I-465.

My best guess is that INDOT is anticipating a sizable increase in traffic volume on 465 during the closure so they want to take as much local traffic off as possible. Since the movement for Pendleton to 70 is a one exit gap, using Shadeland as a short detour makes sense.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 01, 2021, 09:54:09 AM

i take 465 on the east side every day to work, and the US 36/SR 67 ramp does slow down mainline a bit, well the right 2 lanes. not appreciably, but it can be annoying.

silverback1065

Quote from: I-55 on April 30, 2021, 08:27:45 PM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 30, 2021, 03:51:42 PM

The whole thing should be 8 mainline lanes, except at Exit 25 where it should be at least 3 through the interchange, 4 surrounding.

i agree, but at least it will be that wide from 70 on the west side to 65 on the south side.

FixThe74Sign

Portable message board signs indicate they will be closing the North Split on or after May 14th.

FixThe74Sign

The VMS signs around the city are now warning people of the upcoming closure.

INDOT is working on the Washington St exit now, which is the exit anyone who ignores the closed highway signs will be forced to take. And once again, INDOT is doing things that don't make sense.

Here is a street view of the Washington St exit ramp. https://goo.gl/maps/p5qp75aa2Bi9PCMs9

It might be hard to see, but the street straight ahead, Pine St, is closed. That street view is from July 2019...and its still closed today. The local utility company has had it closed for awhile now for one of their major tunnel boring projects. Its not a big deal though, as Pine St isn't really used for much at all.

You can see how the exit is configured from the street view. There isn't a dedicated straight lane, so the Pine St closure isn't something that requires any special signage or lane closures on the exit ramp. Yet, INDOT is going to reconfigure the exit ramp like this https://imgur.com/n1lNY9G. They are going to make a dedicated straight lane....to a road....that is closed.

The cherry on top is that they have updated the overheard lane signs already, but have not remarked the lanes. So the overheard turn signs show 6 lanes, but the pavement markings show 5. I'm sure they will fix that before the closure but they have essentially made a lane that they will immediately have to close for no benefit at all.

Great Lakes Roads

FixThe74Sign

It is currently a mad house downtown. Despite Google maps showing the highway as closed, its directions are still telling people to take 65 through town. I just tried a test route on Google maps and it still suggests taking the closed interstate.

jhuntin1

To add to the fun, INDOT has one lane of the ramp from I-465 west to I-65 south on the south side down to one lane for some unknown reason. Even at noon on Saturday (today), that interchange was a mess.

FixThe74Sign

One thing INDOT is going to have to get right are these Travel Time signs. This is the live look at one on the east side of Indy, heading west (per their traffic wise map).

https://imgur.com/aMfiJdi

It currently says its only a 22 minute drive through town if you stay on 70 but ITS CLOSED! They need to put an X on that sign or something.

silverback1065

Can anyone tell me what's going on the north west side on 65 north? That areas been red all day and it says construction. What the heck are they doing over there?

Pixel 5

cjw2001

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on May 15, 2021, 11:09:23 AM
It is currently a mad house downtown. Despite Google maps showing the highway as closed, its directions are still telling people to take 65 through town. I just tried a test route on Google maps and it still suggests taking the closed interstate.
Likely just a database sync issue that corrected itself given a short amount of time - when I did a test route from I65 on the north side to the south side it routes correctly via 465.  Note that the northbound side doesn't close until Sunday.

silverback1065

Indot in it's infinite wisdom has closed 65 north downtown while also sending through traffic into another construction zone. They have 65 north down to 1 lane at 465 to 71st st. To do some random shit. Hopefully this is just a weekend thing and will be over tonight because this is a very dumb thing to do

Pixel 5

silverback1065

Looks like it's a weekend thing thank goodness! I don't see the backup anymore

Pixel 5

The Ghostbuster

Are there any plans to reconstruct the southern junction of Interstate 65/70? I'd like to see the left-hand ramps moved to the right-hand side.

silverback1065

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 17, 2021, 12:54:14 PM
Are there any plans to reconstruct the southern junction of Interstate 65/70? I'd like to see the left-hand ramps moved to the right-hand side.

it will happen a very very long time from now, I remember asking INDOT about this and all they would tell me is that it will happen eventually.

tdindy88

They just rebuilt the bridges and ramps of that interchange a few years ago. The South Split for all intents and purposes is basically fairly new as it is. Besides, if they redo the configuration of the ramps now it would offset what they're trying to achieve with this North Split stuff now.

silverback1065

and as predicted mass chaos on the south side every evening. 465 is a total mess!  :-o

jhuntin1

tdindy88

As predicted I've had to take 70 and 65 through town every morning coming home from work from Rockville Road to the Greenwood area. The blue travel time sign at Sam Jones Expressway said the other day it was a 35 minute drive from I-70 to I-65. No thank you At least I can take 465 in the evenings. I thought that the official I-65 detour using 65 and 70 was kind of dumb but I'll take that back. It's far from the worst idea INDOT's ever had. There are times of the day when that routing is very tempting.

I know the North Split does need to be done because of the old bridges and pavement and waiting any longer is probably not an option. But I kind of wonder if we should have done all the I-465 widening and I-69 interchange on the south side stuff first to make that highway a little better prepared for this. 18 MONTHS of this stuff is going to get old very fast. It might as well be an eternity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.