News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-240 extension in Oklahoma City

Started by Bobby5280, July 29, 2021, 11:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 11, 2022, 11:47:19 AM
What is the scope of work in Phase 1B of this interchange project?

So far, the only new work done on the I-240/I-35 interchange is the EB I-240 to SB I-35 ramp over 4 years ago. That carved away part of the OK DPS parking lot on the SW corner of the interchange.

In the early 2000's the I-35 main lanes were widened from 2x2 to 3x3 through the interchange.

I was going to look it up, but the latest web page redesign is an abject failure. It is BLANK!!
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Take this with a grain of salt, but a poster in another forum claimed they emailed the OTA about this proposal and they were told the state is no longer going to pursue this designation or sign it. If that's true thank god.

sprjus4

^ If so, good. Although I don't see any issue with the western loop. It was just the I-40 / I-44 / Kickapoo overlap that make no sense.

bugo

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2023, 01:35:27 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, but a poster in another forum claimed they emailed the OTA about this proposal and they were told the state is no longer going to pursue this designation or sign it. If that's true thank god.

What forum?

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on March 22, 2023, 04:24:11 PM

What forum?

OKCTalk, probably. I saw a thread on that there.

I replied to it that I'm guessing whichever OTA dork they got ahold of didn't know what they were talking about, considering this was already approved by AASHTO. So at the very most you would be able to file this in the same drawer I-444 is in.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2023, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 22, 2023, 04:24:11 PM

What forum?

OKCTalk, probably. I saw a thread on that there.

I replied to it that I'm guessing whichever OTA dork they got ahold of didn't know what they were talking about, considering this was already approved by AASHTO. So at the very most you would be able to file this in the same drawer I-444 is in.
Is posting links to other forum websites allowed on here?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2023, 06:26:13 PM
Is posting links to other forum websites allowed on here?

It should be. The intent of the forum rule about other websites is supposed to prevent things like "Why am I banned from Highway Divides" or "Why am I being required to pay to post in ExampleForums", not simply linking.

*I'm not aware of any forum that requires paying anything other than a one-time registration fee for SomethingAwful.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2023, 06:51:08 PM
Yeah, go right ahead.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=47508
Awesome! I wasn't sure. I got a temporary ban for doing that on either city data or SSP.

The Ghostbuster

If the 240 extension is truly cancelled, it wouldn't upset me too much. It seemed like a pie-in-the-sky proposal to me. However, until there is official confirmation of the extension's cancelation (outside of this and okctalk.com's forums), I will take it is not yet cancelled.

Henry

I could care less if it were cancelled, because that idea never was good to begin with.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Yeah, I agree it's no great loss, but the fact is we don't know for sure other than some random OTA public relations employee saying so. Now, I get that they're generally pretty reliable, but H.B. has been pretty clear that they aren't as omniscient as we'd like.

Bobby5280

I wouldn't have minded the I-240 designation being extended along the Airport Road freeway and along that new portion of the Kilpatrick Turnpike just up to I-40. That way both ends of I-240 would have terminated with I-40. The complete overlap of both the Kilpatrick and Kickapoo Turnpikes was just too much.

jdingus

One thing they could do.

Extend 240 to Airport Road to JKT to I-35 and Extend 235 to JKT. I would be for that.

Kickapoo can be X35 When they extend to the south to Purcell.

The wacky idea.

Realign I-44 with JKT to either OK-74 to the South. Or keep it on the JKT to the proposed extension to the Tri-City Area when they build it. And bring back the old I-240 alignment for current I-44.

Mapmikey

In the same ODOT Commission meeting that designated I-42 for the US 412 upgrade (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=34017.msg2879576#msg2879576), they also change the OKC Belt Buckle to be 3 designations: 240, 344 and 335.  The truly stupid part of that is that 344 and 240 will end at each other at OK 152 and not at I-40.

Bobby5280

Quote from: MapmikeyThe truly stupid part of that is that 344 and 240 will end at each other at OK 152 and not at I-40.

That has been mentioned earlier. Some of us are hopeful the AASHTO will shoot down ODOT's route number suggestion because it is indeed pretty stupid.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the JKT could become Interstate 344, but the 344 designation could end at the JKT's southern terminus with the Airport Road freeway, while the Airport Road freeway remains OK 152. Either that, or all of JKT and ARF becomes an extension of Interstate 240. I agree with the KT getting the OK/Interstate 335 designation.

Plutonic Panda

I've always thought I-44 should be routed to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and then onto the Hefner Parkway which the road if going straight ultimately ends up as I-44.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 29, 2023, 07:33:02 PM
I've always thought I-44 should be routed to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and then onto the Hefner Parkway which the road if going straight ultimately ends up as I-44.

I believe the mileage markers already in place would fit if that change was made.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

triplemultiplex

I'm perplexed at how a group of people in charge of roads could have so many stupid numbering ideas.  Like they seem to have zero sense of how the system is supposed to work. Between this OKC "beltway" hodgepodge, the idiotic desire to duplicate I-42 and now Arkansas wanting a brainless extension of what should be a dead US route, there's something going on in that part of the country that's causing people to be stupid.  Have these idiots never opened a map before?  Jesus.

What's next, "The commission decides that the Creek Turnpike will be designated I-95."  Because rules are for squares.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Well, a politician wrote the Interstate 99 designation into law, and the northernmost portion of CA 238 got promoted into an Interstate, so stranger designations have come into fruition. Unless the Creek Turnpike got a Interstate designation that was not a 3di of Interstate 44, I would suggest whoever made the outlandish proposed designation to get their head examined.

swake

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 30, 2023, 10:43:54 AM
Well, a politician wrote the Interstate 99 designation into law, and the northernmost portion of CA 238 got promoted into an Interstate, so stranger designations have come into fruition. Unless the Creek Turnpike got a Interstate designation that was not a 3di of Interstate 44, I would suggest whoever made the outlandish proposed designation to get their head examined.

When the I-42 designation is completed in Tulsa in place of US-412, I-244 should be stopped at the southwest corner of the Inner Dispersal Loop (IDL) and the unsigned I-444 designation removed from the south and east legs of the IDL. The west, south and east legs of the IDL should become I-442.

The Creek should then be I-444.

Scott5114

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 30, 2023, 09:39:37 AM
I'm perplexed at how a group of people in charge of roads could have so many stupid numbering ideas.

Welcome to Oklahoma government! Just wait until you see their stupid ideas on...well, anything more consequential than road numbering. (Education is a fine place to start digging, since you mentioned "something going on in that part of the country that's causing people to be stupid".)

kphoger

I'm perplexed at how a group of people in charge of roads could have so many stupid numbering ideas.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, outside of roadgeek communities, numbering is the least significant thing about roads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2023, 02:17:56 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that, outside of roadgeek communities, numbering is the least significant thing about roads.
Probably but I'm hardly a road geek who cares that much about signage and still can see how dumb this proposal is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.