News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

KY 9 as US 152?

Started by bandit957, October 09, 2022, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

KY 9 is the AA Highway across northern and northeastern Kentucky. I seem to recall that once, maybe 20 or 25 years ago, someone in m.t.r posted a link to a very small-scale map that showed KY 9 as US 152. Everyone sort of dismissed it, but I think the map was made by some official agency.

Anyone remember this, or have any insight on this?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

I have no memory of this, but the AA Highway and the Greenup Spur would make a great ALT US 52.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bandit957 on October 09, 2022, 07:55:44 PM
KY 9 is the AA Highway across northern and northeastern Kentucky. I seem to recall that once, maybe 20 or 25 years ago, someone in m.t.r posted a link to a very small-scale map that showed KY 9 as US 152. Everyone sort of dismissed it, but I think the map was made by some official agency.

Anyone remember this, or have any insight on this?

I don't know how far south it went, but I do know there was a US 152. IN 152 in Hammond is the short segment of US 152 that wasn't taken over by other highways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

Why would KY 9 even be considered to possibly become US 152? KY 9 doesn't connect with US 52 (even extending the "Fictional Highways" route into Cincinnatti, OH would result in an indirect connection). Wouldn't US 142, US 162 or US 168 [II] be better designations if Kentucky hypothetically wanted a US Highway designation for this corridor? As for the original US 152, it ran from Indianapolis, IN to Hammond, IN from 1934-1938 (with a retraction to US 41 in Saint John, IN in 1937): https://www.usends.com/152.html. In 1938, US 152 became US 231 (although 152's southern terminus should have been in Montmorenci, not Indianapolis).

SP Cook

My only issue with the AA is the confusing signage is the confusing signage near Vanceburg.  There the route splits, with the through route marked "AA - KY 10 East - South Shore - Greenup - Ashland"  and the turn is marked "AA - KY 9 South - TO I-64" , with no designation of either route as anything but both being the AA.  Further, the first option doesn't go to any of those places, ending at US 23 5 miles from Greenup. 

They should sign one of these routes as "ALT"  or "SPUR"  or sign one as "northern route"  and the other as "southern route" . 

bandit957

The AA Highway used to be KY 546, and became KY 9 in 1994 (I think). I actually thought it was weird when it became KY 9. This was before I had Internet, so the first place I saw it was when I walked past a stack of newspapers at a store, and it had a photo of a KY 9 marker on the front page.

KY 9 is signed as north-south, but it really is more east-west. The old KY 9 that it formed from was indeed truly north-south.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 11, 2022, 02:28:46 PM
Why would KY 9 even be considered to possibly become US 152? KY 9 doesn't connect with US 52 (even extending the "Fictional Highways" route into Cincinnatti, OH would result in an indirect connection). Wouldn't US 142, US 162 or US 168 [II] be better designations if Kentucky hypothetically wanted a US Highway designation for this corridor? As for the original US 152, it ran from Indianapolis, IN to Hammond, IN from 1934-1938 (with a retraction to US 41 in Saint John, IN in 1937): https://www.usends.com/152.html. In 1938, US 152 became US 231 (although 152's southern terminus should have been in Montmorenci, not Indianapolis).

The hypothetical US 152 could leave KY 9 and join US 27 and run concurrently with it into Ohio, where US 27 intersects and is concurrent with US 52.

Quote from: SP Cook on October 11, 2022, 02:59:15 PM
My only issue with the AA is the confusing signage is the confusing signage near Vanceburg.  There the route splits, with the through route marked "AA - KY 10 East - South Shore - Greenup - Ashland"  and the turn is marked "AA - KY 9 South - TO I-64" , with no designation of either route as anything but both being the AA.  Further, the first option doesn't go to any of those places, ending at US 23 5 miles from Greenup. 

They should sign one of these routes as "ALT"  or "SPUR"  or sign one as "northern route"  and the other as "southern route" . 

They're both considered part of the AA Highway. The original concept was Ashland-to-Alexandria, but of course the route ended up going to neither of those cities. If I'm not mistaken, there was some controversy over where the route would go in the east. The decision was made to build both the Greenup and Grayson spurs to provide access to both US 23 and US 52, and I-64.

The exit for the bridge at the Jesse Stuart Bridge in Ohio is for "Greenup, Ky." And the KY 10 spur does go to Greenup County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.