News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Watching yourself evolve on the forum

Started by index, February 19, 2023, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Looking back, I seem to have generally the same interests as I do now. Here are some observations:

(1) I was really into signs back in my early days here, especially designing them from scratch and fictional signs. It's still an interest that I have, but not anywhere near the same level. For a couple years, my Imgur was almost entirely PNGs of fake highway signs that I had created in Adobe Illustrator. (related: I switched to Flickr from Imgur a couple yeras ago so I could be more adult and start categorizing my stuff).

(2) These days, I'm more into traffic control. Stuff like traffic signals, intersection operation, road markings, roadway geometry, regional planning, and other related topics.

(3) I used URL shorteners a lot back in the day. I've long had an irrational hatred of really long URLs, and I hated cluttering up the reply boxes with them. I eventually stopped using them for several reasons, including people not clicking them because they didn't know what the actual URL was, me not wanting to create dead links, and goo.gl shutting down.

(4) Early on, I remember being a little obsessed with not making a fool of myself. I wasn't sure how important the ranks were, number of posts, etc, so I was just careful to not over-post and tried to make sure my posts were of sufficient quality, especially wrt spelling, grammar, and not breaking links or quote boxes. That didn't stop me from swearing a lot; looking back, I dropped the f-bomb rather frequently, and I was a little bit of a dickhead sometimes too.

(5) I was still in high school when I joined. I ended up with a lot of free time in the following years, and my post frequency really shot up. Ended up leaving college for a while, then went back, graduated, graduated again with an MS, and then got a full-time job overseas. These days I don't have as much free time; my first year I had 1260 posts, last year 930-ish, only a few hundred since I started my job in October.

(6) I originally went by just "jake", and I remember being pretty ecstatic when I found out that it was available as a username. I eventually learned that there was already a well-known Jake, Jake Bear (agentsteel53); to avoid confusing people, I had my username changed to my standard "jakeroot". With Jake's departure from the forum many years ago, I suspect many younger and/or newer users here know me best as just "Jake", but anyone active beyond this forum likely knows me as the "other Jake" as Mr Bear is still active elsewhere.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2023, 06:25:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2023, 05:04:58 PM
In all seriousness, though, Scott, I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the well wishes. We've kind of come to the conclusion that we have different things that we're looking for in a relationship, and we intend to remain friends if nothing else, so it's as amicable as the circumstances can be. (We also have not set an exact end date for anything yet, as right now it's financially advantageous for both of us to not make any changes.)
Hope everything goes well Scott, and I'm sorry to hear that.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2023, 07:58:24 PM
(6) I originally went by just "jake", and I remember being pretty ecstatic when I found out that it was available as a username. I eventually learned that there was already a well-known Jake, Jake Bear (agentsteel53); to avoid confusing people, I had my username changed to my standard "jakeroot". With Jake's departure from the forum many years ago, I suspect many younger and/or newer users here know me best as just "Jake", but anyone active beyond this forum likely knows me as the "other Jake" as Mr Bear is still active elsewhere.

I know most forum users on here primarily by their username, and don't usually assume that's their real name unless they said so or I found out from context. So, I always thought jakeroot was a cool username but it was only more recently that I found out it was your actual name too.  :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2023, 09:06:01 PM

I know most forum users on here primarily by their username, and don't usually assume that's their real name unless they said so or I found out from context. So, I always thought jakeroot was a cool username but it was only more recently that I found out it was your actual name too.  :D

I wonder how many people still think my name is actually Max Rockatansky and don't get that it is a movie reference?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2023, 09:07:24 PM

I wonder how many people still think my name is actually Max Rockatansky and don't get that it is a movie reference?
I thought it was for the longest time. I still call you Max on the forum though, unless you would prefer something else.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Once I found out that there was another Jake, who was also much more well known, I've tried to make a point of almost never referring to myself as anything other than my full username. So it does make sense that users here know me best as my whole username. But it's true that I've generally not hidden my identity, so those that care to look deeper probably can figure out my username is my actual name, as it is almost everywhere else too.

I am family friends with a massive Mad Max fan (who also lives down under), so I figured your name out right away.

Roadgeekteen

Having multiple users with the same name is fine. We have two well known Scott's (both admins) on the forum.

webny99

I thought it was your real name for a long time, but eventually figured out (via discussion about our usernames) that it wasn't.

SectorZ

You and abefroman329

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on February 22, 2023, 08:30:26 AM

You and abefroman329

You mean, he isn't the Sausage King of Chicago?

Flint1979

Say sausage like a Southsider from Chicago.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 21, 2023, 04:00:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2023, 03:42:42 AM
Quote from: index on February 20, 2023, 03:16:34 AM
I am a stickler about the lights being on when nobody is using them.

If you're trying to minimize your energy usage, there are a lot of things that you should probably focus on before the lights, because modern LED bulbs only use–

Quote from: index on February 20, 2023, 03:16:34 AM
I remember complaining about my father not liking it when I did my own laundry on this very forum when I was 14 or so. The washing machine might only cost a few cents an hour in electricity to run, and I tried to tell him that, because I knew everything, but I failed to consider...That shit adds up. I learned that fast with my own electric bill. When you are constantly broke, 20 bucks makes a difference.

Uh, never mind, I guess. :P

I think the power bill is a situation where knowledge is being able to minimize usage, and wisdom is knowing when minimizing it starts to become a negative quality of life issue. (Not saying you're having a problem with this, just speaking in general.) Sure, my wife and I combining our laundry loads probably reduced the power bill a decent amount, but it led to conflict between us (she doesn't bother to get the clean laundry out of the dryer for weeks, so I'd be late to work because I had to pick my work uniforms out of the giant combined mess of clothes in the dryer). So it's worth paying more in electricity and water to run separate loads and just not have to worry about that. Likewise, I could probably save a great deal of money setting the thermostat to 60° in the winter and 80° in the summer, but I value being comfortable more than I would having the extra money.

What does rankle me is that apparently, as long as I live in Oklahoma, I get to be subject to never-ending OG&E rate hikes, because the relevant regulatory agency is so thoroughly captured that their approval of any rate hike is a mere rubber stamp. My power bill has gone up $50/month year-over-year compared to winter 2021/2022. We are now paying kWh rates on par with those of Southern Nevada, but without the much higher Nevada salaries.

The Xcel energy rate hikes out here are what finally pushed me over the edge to go solar. Highly recommended. My panels are financed so that the bill is the same as my current electric bill which basically means I'm "unhikeable" and it's better for the environment. Win win.
I'm not on Xcel where I live now, but was at one time when I lived in Nunn. What I never understood, is why Xcel needs to advertise? I mean, it's not like you're gonna go to the other guys... How much of those rate hikes pay for that?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Zachary Amaryliis is a reference to, well.. nothing.
The first Mad Max movie was the best. It was so ... Australian.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 22, 2023, 09:50:01 AM
I'm not on Xcel where I live now, but was at one time when I lived in Nunn. What I never understood, is why Xcel needs to advertise? I mean, it's not like you're gonna go to the other guys... How much of those rate hikes pay for that?

Agreed. I feel kind of the same way about Coke. Are you all of a sudden going to forget Coke exists? I don't think anyone here sees a Coke commercial and thinks, "you know what? A cola sounds fantastic right now and I'm going to buy some. Maybe I should check out that one with the red label." Either you drink Coke or you don't.

Back to the original premise of the thread. I started posting on m.t.r. when I was 15 or so if I remember correctly. I don't think I was an annoying little prick, since I've never really been an internet troll by definition as far as I can remember. I do remember only being interested in interstates and specifically control cities back then. Heck, I only started logging non-interstate mileage on TravelMapping during the height of the pandemic. Now I guess I'm a little more well-rounded roadwise, albeit still not interested in a lot of the stuff that others are -- signage standards, pavement, traffic signals, construction, etc. Roads to me are a way to see places I haven't seen before and I'm more interested in logging travel than maybe the nuance of the roads themselves. I'm also a "checklister" by nature, so my road collections appeal to that wrinkle in my brain.

Henry

Twelve years ago when I first joined the forum, I was obsessed with making up new Interstates and also complaining about how the Cubs disappointed me; in fact, the only way I saw them winning the World Series was in movies and in video games. But now I've gained a vast knowledge of different signing practices by state (including signals, gantries and the like), plus a deeper knowledge of the many highways in the U.S. and Canada. Plus, I'm proud to say that I'm a fan of the team that won the 2016 World Series and broke a 108-year championship drought; in fact, they can lose 100 games and finish dead last like they usually do, and this time I won't care, because I got to see what it felt like to be on top. I still dabble in fictional freeways, but now include US and state route ideas as well, plus I'm well-versed in making road signs from the MUTCD for all to see.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JoePCool14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 22, 2023, 09:57:19 AM
...Heck, I only started logging non-interstate mileage on TravelMapping during the height of the pandemic...

Lucky you. I wish I would've known about and used TM during those days. Cheap gas, little traffic, a girlfriend to hit the road with instead of going out alone, and lots of spare time to go out whenever and easily work on clinching.

Ah, 2020, such a bittersweet time.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 22, 2023, 03:56:59 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 22, 2023, 09:57:19 AM
...Heck, I only started logging non-interstate mileage on TravelMapping during the height of the pandemic...

Lucky you. I wish I would've known about and used TM during those days. Cheap gas, little traffic, a girlfriend to hit the road with instead of going out alone, and lots of spare time to go out whenever and easily work on clinching.

Ah, 2020, such a bittersweet time.

I think I finished up about 40% of Colorado's mileage in 2020. Easy to social distance when you're only passing a car every 10 minutes on some rural, mountain highway.

Scott5114

The Xcel energy rate hikes out here are what finally pushed me over the edge to go solar. Highly recommended. My panels are financed so that the bill is the same as my current electric bill which basically means I'm "unhikeable" and it's better for the environment. Win win.

If I were planning on staying in this house for a longer-term period I would probably install solar. Given Oklahoma's political leanings, I'm not confident that "solar panels that aren't paid off" attached to a house wouldn't absolutely kill people's interest in it when I try to sell.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 05:57:12 PM

If I were planning on staying in this house for a longer-term period I would probably install solar. Given Oklahoma's political leanings, I'm not confident that "solar panels that aren't paid off" attached to a house wouldn't absolutely kill people's interest in it when I try to sell.

You just include the panels in the value of the home. Then take the proceeds and pay the panels off. It is a perk to a prospective homeowner that they have no energy bill. That said, sounds like you're interested in moving up to CO, so come on up and worry about the solar later. :)

Scott5114

Haha, I was more worried about the "I ain't buyin' some house with them commie solar panels on it" types, but you do have a point.

I probably should visit more of Colorado than Baca County before deciding where I want to move . . .

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 09:17:56 PM
Haha, I was more worried about the "I ain't buyin' some house with them commie solar panels on it" types, but you do have a point.

I probably should visit more of Colorado than Baca County before deciding where I want to move . . .

As attractive as Springfield is, I don't think you'll exactly feel a whole lot different than Okie down there.

texaskdog

I often see things that sound like something I would have written and realize I did.

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on February 22, 2023, 10:33:10 AM
complaining about how the Cubs disappointed me; in fact, the only way I saw them winning the World Series was in movies and in video games. But now I've gained a vast knowledge of different signing practices by state (including signals, gantries and the like), plus a deeper knowledge of the many highways in the U.S. and Canada. Plus, I'm proud to say that I'm a fan of the team that won the 2016 World Series and broke a 108-year championship drought; in fact, they can lose 100 games and finish dead last like they usually do, and this time I won't care, because I got to see what it felt like to be on top.

Is this Steve Bartman?

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 22, 2023, 11:38:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 09:17:56 PM

As attractive as Springfield is, I don't think you'll exactly feel a whole lot different than Okie down there.

Heh, I didn't even make it as far as Springfield. I just did a dip on US 287/385.

(Besides, I already lived in a town called Springfield. :P)

Henry

Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2023, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 22, 2023, 10:33:10 AM
complaining about how the Cubs disappointed me; in fact, the only way I saw them winning the World Series was in movies and in video games. But now I've gained a vast knowledge of different signing practices by state (including signals, gantries and the like), plus a deeper knowledge of the many highways in the U.S. and Canada. Plus, I'm proud to say that I'm a fan of the team that won the 2016 World Series and broke a 108-year championship drought; in fact, they can lose 100 games and finish dead last like they usually do, and this time I won't care, because I got to see what it felt like to be on top.

Is this Steve Bartman?
Unless he moved to Seattle and became a Mariners fan, then no.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.