News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor football leagues

Started by Poiponen13, February 21, 2023, 08:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 21, 2023, 02:38:25 PM
Also, play the games (all times ET) Saturday 7:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm and 7:30pm and Monday 7:30pm. Minimizes conflicts with golf and NASCAR

This makes games conflict with each other, though.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 02:47:12 PM
Also, play the games (all times ET) Saturday 7:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm and 7:30pm and Monday 7:30pm. Minimizes conflicts with golf and NASCAR

This makes games conflict with each other, though.

I was assuming an 8 team league so only 4 games per weekend.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 21, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Minor league football should replace college football.  Each pro team has a couple of 'farm teams' around the country in different, regional minor leagues.  Just like baseball used to be/kinda still is.  This benefits players because they'll get money in exchange for risking their bodies instead of a useless scholarship that can go away in a snap.  The best players can get promoted whenever they're ready or whenever the 'parent' team needs to fill a need.  Pros who are struggling or trying to work their way back from injury can take some rehab snaps in the minors.

I think that will not only be better for players, but also fans, because true minor league football would be way more competitive than the cartel-run college football.  None of this same 6 teams in the running for the next championship every single year.

I just hate the NCAA and want to imagine a world where they don't exist.

Now that college athletes can be paid due to name, image and likeness (NIL), college football is essentially a minor league sport. It has served as a de facto minor league for a long time.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 12:17:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2023, 12:15:33 PM
Honestly, what is with this weird European obsession with promotion and relegation?
Because promotion and relegation is better. It is boring to have same teams in every season.

Sez who? [citation needed]

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on February 21, 2023, 03:34:51 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 12:17:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2023, 12:15:33 PM
Honestly, what is with this weird European obsession with promotion and relegation?
Because promotion and relegation is better. It is boring to have same teams in every season.

Sez who? [citation needed]
Sez our revolutionary Souky god emperor
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

When you're the big dog of the market like the NFL is, you want to maximize conflict, not minimize it. Make fans choose between football and other sports, because most of them will choose football, and if they're watching football then they're not getting immersed in other sports, and their interest for those sports drifts away. Even the biggest sports event that is on TV at the same time as the NFL - the World Series, on Fox - narrowly beat out the Amazon Prime viewership of an Eagles/Texans game that was expected to be a blowout (game 5 of the series happened at the same time). And that's not counting those who watched Eagles/Texans on Twitch.

The league's goals were made evident when they expanded their Christmas Day slate of games three years in a row, opposing the most-watched games of the NBA regular season. They started with one game in 2020, then two in 2021, then three in 2022. All of those games crushed the NBA in ratings.

Of course, the exception is college football, which the NFL does not want to conflict with because it's their pipeline. Eyes on college builds hype for the draft and the young players coming into the league every year, as opposed to them just being nameless grey faces.

1995hoo

The NFL not playing on Saturday until the college football season is over is because of the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which prohibits the NFL from broadcasting games on those two days except in the odd situation where a game has to be rescheduled on short notice.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2023, 08:02:51 PM
The NFL not playing on Saturday until the college football season is over is because of the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which prohibits the NFL from broadcasting games on those two days except in the odd situation where a game has to be rescheduled on short notice.
and on Fridays because of High School football.

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on February 21, 2023, 08:11:08 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2023, 08:02:51 PM
and on Fridays because of High School football.

Right, but thspfc was talking about college football and that's why my post was worded the way it was.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on February 21, 2023, 07:22:02 PM
When you're the big dog of the market like the NFL is, you want to maximize conflict, not minimize it. Make fans choose between football and other sports, because most of them will choose football, and if they're watching football then they're not getting immersed in other sports, and their interest for those sports drifts away. Even the biggest sports event that is on TV at the same time as the NFL - the World Series, on Fox - narrowly beat out the Amazon Prime viewership of an Eagles/Texans game that was expected to be a blowout (game 5 of the series happened at the same time). And that's not counting those who watched Eagles/Texans on Twitch.

The league's goals were made evident when they expanded their Christmas Day slate of games three years in a row, opposing the most-watched games of the NBA regular season. They started with one game in 2020, then two in 2021, then three in 2022. All of those games crushed the NBA in ratings.

Of course, the exception is college football, which the NFL does not want to conflict with because it's their pipeline. Eyes on college builds hype for the draft and the young players coming into the league every year, as opposed to them just being nameless grey faces.

This was for a spring league, not the NFL.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Poiponen13

US's volleyball, floorball and team handball leagues would run in club-based system like European leagues and not in franchise-based system like most North American leagues. There would be promotion and relegation and a "pyramid" with some levels and promotion and relegation between all levels.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 12:33:30 PM
Alabama should have NFL team.

Given that Connecticut has a WNBA team and no other major sports, I think this one is actually quite reasonable.

Since nobody responded to this: who agrees with me, and who disagrees with me?
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 01:07:35 PM

Given that Connecticut has a WNBA team and no other major sports, I think this one is actually quite reasonable.

Alabama already has at least one football team that's arguably better than a number of NFL teams on a year-in-year-out basis.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 01:59:46 PM

Alabama already has at least one football team that's arguably better than a number of NFL teams on a year-in-year-out basis.
If not for "arguably"  I would've thought this was satire. One of these years we need a #1 college team vs #32 NFL team game so that we can finally stop it with this. I remember a while back, Vegas released the point spread for a hypothetical Bills (when they were really bad) vs Alabama game. BUF -28.5.

Poiponen13

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:11:45 PM

If not for "arguably"  I would've thought this was satire. One of these years we need a #1 college team vs #32 NFL team game so that we can finally stop it with this. I remember a while back, Vegas released the point spread for a hypothetical Bills (when they were really bad) vs Alabama game. BUF -28.5.
Friendly tournaments would be played between NFL and college teams.

thspfc

I'm definitely against NFL expansion regardless of the location, but I also don't think Connecticut would be a great place. It's heavily Patriots, and some New York. Salt Lake City would be the best option IMO, as there's not an overwhelming favorite team there. That's my vote for the Saints relocation if/when they don't want to build a new stadium in New Orleans once the Superdome's lifespan ends, or conditions in New Orleans seriously deteriorate. But they could run into issues with Sunday games and a heavily Mormon population.

Poiponen13

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:24:12 PM

I'm definitely against NFL expansion regardless of the location, but I also don't think Connecticut would be a great place. It's heavily Patriots, and some New York. Salt Lake City would be the best option IMO, as there's not an overwhelming favorite team there. That's my vote for the Saints relocation if/when they don't want to build a new stadium in New Orleans once the Superdome's lifespan ends, or conditions in New Orleans seriously deteriorate. But they could run into issues with Sunday games and a heavily Mormon population.
Other sites for NFL team:
- San Antonio
- Oklahoma City / Tulsa
- Orlando
- Portland
- Raleigh
- St Louis
- San Diego

1995hoo

Any team in Connecticut would run into some of the same problems that ultimately doomed the Hartford Whalers, who moved in part because the market squeeze between New York and Boston made it too hard to compete.

Roadgeekteen

If New Orleans floods, I believe that the Saints should play in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge so they can stay in the region, which is football-crazy. The Saints are very popular.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:36:27 PM

If New Orleans floods, I believe that the Saints should play in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge so they can stay in the region, which is football-crazy. The Saints are very popular.
How football-crazy will it be when New Orleans is underwater? Are the fish Saints fans?

Poiponen13

Saints would move to Alabama.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:11:45 PM

Well, Alabama is certainly better year-in, year-out relative to their competition than many NFL teams. Of course, that doesn't mean they could compete in the NFL as currently constituted.

I wouldn't be against an NFL team in Alabama, but it wouldn't be my first choice either. Now that Nevada has an NFL team, I'd go with Utah (Salt Lake City) or a third team in Texas (probably San Antonio) next.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:41:24 PM

How football-crazy will it be when New Orleans is underwater? Are the fish Saints fans?
The rest of Louisiana will still exist, and the Saints and football in general are popular all over the region.

thspfc

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 02:31:15 PM

Other sites for NFL team:
- San Antonio
- Oklahoma City / Tulsa
- Orlando
- Portland
- Raleigh
- St Louis
- San Diego
I think San Antonio/Austin could work, especially if they build the stadium between the two and market the team as if it belongs to both cities.

OKC is a bit on the small side, and OU football might still dominate the market even with an NFL team. Similar to how UGA football is bigger than the Falcons in Atlanta, except Atlanta is a much larger city so the Falcons still have enough support. I don't know if OKC could support an NFL team that plays second fiddle to the Sooners.

Orlando is oversaturated with how many sports teams there are in Florida. The Bucs were thriving during their Brady era, but the Dolphins and Jags still see a lot of empty seats. I think a fourth team in Florida would cost more money than it would make.

Don't know about Portland, but I'm guessing there's a lot of Seahawks fans there that would not switch to a new team.

Raleigh is Panthers.

There's a reason why STL and San Diego just had their teams move away.

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:41:24 PM

The rest of Louisiana will still exist, and the Saints and football in general are popular all over the region.
LSU will still dominate and with no New Orleans there's not enough people in Louisiana to support both.

(To be clear, I don't think New Orleans is going underwater that soon. It's much more likely that the Superdome gets too old, so the Saints need a new stadium and either can't get the funds for it from NOLA taxpayers or don't want to build it in NOLA due to the city's decline, so they move.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.