News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-40 in North Carolina

Started by wdcrft63, February 25, 2023, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: fillup420 on July 01, 2023, 09:34:18 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 30, 2023, 09:46:17 PM
On I40 just east of exit 116, there has been an area of high enforcement.  Today, i saw for the first time, a portable overhead gantry over both lanes that appeared to monitor speed and possible photo license plates.

I saw whats likely the same thing on I-40/85 eastbound exit 138 a couple weeks ago. Temporary overhead gantry placed about 1/2 mile before the exit. Troopers were lined up on the entrance ramp waiting to ruin people's day.

This also helped me confirm that the NO TRUCKS OVER 3 AXLES IN LEFT TWO LANES rule is not enforced at all  :angry:
It genuinely amazes me when police will blatantly ignore something like no trucks in the left lane, a serious safety issue that impedes the natural flow of traffic, causes speed differentials, causes traffic to pass on the right, abrupt braking, lane weaving, etc.

... but have no problem pulling someone going 80 mph in an underposted 65 mph wide-open flat 8 lane freeway. Is it about true safety or is it revenue?

This reminded me of when I drove the US-74 Monroe Bypass months back, and witnessed county police parked on every single on-ramp, and hidden at the emergency pull-offs by the toll gantries. I drove about 10 miles each way (northern portion) and saw over 10 police in various spots throughout the round trip. I kept my cruise control right at 5 mph over, no more.

ARMOURERERIC

Is the new 10 year stip as neglectful of I-40 west of Statesville as it appears to be?

architect77

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 01, 2023, 09:47:49 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on July 01, 2023, 09:34:18 AM
On I40 just east of exit 116, there has been an area of high enforcement.  Today, i saw for the first time, a portable overhead gantry over both lanes that appeared to monitor speed and possible photo license plates.

I saw whats likely the same thing on I-40/85 eastbound exit 138 a couple weeks ago. Temporary overhead gantry placed about 1/2 mile before the exit. Troopers were lined up on the entrance ramp waiting to ruin people's day.

This also helped me confirm that the NO TRUCKS OVER 3 AXLES IN LEFT TWO LANES rule is not enforced at all  :angry:
It genuinely amazes me when police will blatantly ignore something like no trucks in the left lane, a serious safety issue that impedes the natural flow of traffic, causes speed differentials, causes traffic to pass on the right, abrupt braking, lane weaving, etc.

... but have no problem pulling someone going 80 mph in an underposted 65 mph wide-open flat 8 lane freeway. Is it about true safety or is it revenue?

This reminded me of when I drove the US-74 Monroe Bypass months back, and witnessed county police parked on every single on-ramp, and hidden at the emergency pull-offs by the toll gantries. I drove about 10 miles each way (northern portion) and saw over 10 police in various spots throughout the round trip. I kept my cruise control right at 5 mph over, no more.

I say contact the highway patrol and bring the truck restrictions to their attention.

On I-85 in SC the trucks all stay in the middle lane and they fail to keep up with flow of traffic. Though only the left lane is restricted and they are allowed to use the middle lane. everyone's lives would be improved if they stayed in the right lane unless willing to maintain the appropriate speed.

wdcrft63

Starting tonight and lasting for several months the ramps on the east side of the Airport Boulevard exit (Exit 284) will be closed. This includes the I-40 west exit and the I-40 east entrance. The closing is part of the project to reconfigure the interchange as a DDI.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-21-i-40-airport-boulevard-ramps-closed.aspx

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on June 16, 2023, 03:48:58 PM
A repaving project on I-40 in Pender County between Exit 388 and Exit 408 will begin on June 19. Completion is expected next summer.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-06-16-repaving-brunswick-pender-counties.aspx

A contract for improvements to an additional stretch of I-40 in New Hanover & Pender counties has been awarded.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-28-new-hanover-pender-interstate-improvements.aspx

And in Raleigh, the ramp from Wade Avenue to I-40 East will be closed for the weekend as part of the I-40 improvements project in the area.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-07-28-wade-avenue-i-40-ramp-closed.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

I-40 West will close at the NC 42 exit (Exit 312) 10 pm to 5 am Sunday through Thursday so crews can demolish part of the flyover from US 70 to I-40 at the new Toll 540 interchange.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-08-11-i-40-closure-42-clayton-garner.aspx

wdcrft63

Tonight the Durham County Commission asks NCDOT to name the interchange of I-40 and US 15/501 for former congressman David Price. Price represented Durham for 16 terms until he retired in 2022. Are there other named interchanges in NC?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 28, 2023, 09:04:17 PM
Tonight the Durham County Commission asks NCDOT to name the interchange of I-40 and US 15/501 for former congressman David Price. Price represented Durham for 16 terms until he retired in 2022. Are there other named interchanges in NC?

I'm not having any luck getting the NCDOT ArcGIS mapping for Honorary Designations to work, but some hacking behind the scenes into (yikes) Javascript (yikes) indicates the following three interchanges might have such designations:

• I-95 -at- US-64 Rocky Mount
  • I-40 -at- US-74 Clyde
  • I-40 -at- US-74A Asheville
Keep in mind that the bridges at these interchanges may be designated rather than the interchanges themselves.  All of this is fairly new.  It appears that the honorary interchange designation was added by NCDOT in May 2022.  I'll keep looking.

By the way, Rep. Price (my district) ended his political career as Chair of the House Transportation (et al) Subcommittee.  A fitting tribute to someone who didn't pretend to be like Bud Shuster.

amroad17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 28, 2023, 09:58:08 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 28, 2023, 09:04:17 PM

I'm not having any luck getting the NCDOT ArcGIS mapping for Honorary Designations to work, but some hacking behind the scenes into (yikes) Javascript (yikes) indicates the following three interchanges might have such designations:

• I-95 -at- US-64 Rocky Mount
  • I-40 -at- US-74 Clyde
  • I-40 -at- US-74A Asheville
Keep in mind that the bridges at these interchanges may be designated rather than the interchanges themselves.  All of this is fairly new.  It appears that the honorary interchange designation was added by NCDOT in May 2022.  I'll keep looking.

By the way, Rep. Price (my district) ended his political career as Chair of the House Transportation (et al) Subcommittee.  A fitting tribute to someone who didn't pretend to be like Bud Shuster.
Yes, the bridges at these interchanges are designated, for officers killed while on duty I believe, as I just checked the above locations on Google Maps.

Perhaps a few interchanges could be named for influential NC people.  The US 52/US 421, Salem Pkwy interchange could be named the Clarence "Big House"  Gaines interchange, I-40/NC 54 interchange 273 could be named after Dean Smith, and the future I-240/I-26 interchange in north Asheville  could be named after Robert Moog.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

MASTERNC

It's actually to monitor cell phone and seat belt usage by commercial vehicles

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-carolina-news/nc-highway-patrol-utilizing-ai-to-crack-down-on-distracted-driving/#:~:text=The%20cameras%20take%20pictures%20through,drivers%20they%20were%20alerted%20about.

sprjus4

Are they allowed to use the camera / imaging by itself to issue a citation? Or does the camera simply alert nearby officers to pay attention to that vehicle? In my opinion, unless the officer physically witnesses the violation by themselves, with their own eyes, this should not be legal.

ARMOURERERIC

The device was moved a few weeks ago to 40 WB just after the 321 merge.  It's right at the new Long View city limit sigñ, and the locals think it's for long view going after speeders.

MASTERNC

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2023, 12:56:58 AM
Are they allowed to use the camera / imaging by itself to issue a citation? Or does the camera simply alert nearby officers to pay attention to that vehicle? In my opinion, unless the officer physically witnesses the violation by themselves, with their own eyes, this should not be legal.

It allows them to look into higher vehicles in real time.  In that sense, they are witnessing the violation and can decide whether to pull over the vehicle.

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 06, 2023, 11:01:07 AM
The device was moved a few weeks ago to 40 WB just after the 321 merge.  It's right at the new Long View city limit sigñ, and the locals think it's for long view going after speeders.

Supposedly it can be used to alert officers to speeding vehicles, but I imagine they would have to confirm using their own radar/laser unless the device is approved in the state as a speed measuring device (and even then I imagine someone would challenge it as an illegal speed camera).

wdcrft63

For the next 14 months I-40 will be down to one lane in each direction for six miles at Old Fort, at the foot of the Blue Ridge east of Asheville. This is an old section overdue for rehabilitation but the project won't be any fun for drivers.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-08-i-40-old-fort-mountain.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 08, 2023, 05:36:29 PM
For the next 14 months I-40 will be down to one lane in each direction for six miles at Old Fort, at the foot of the Blue Ridge east of Asheville. This is an old section overdue for rehabilitation but the project won't be any fun for drivers.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-08-i-40-old-fort-mountain.aspx

Says closing one lane, and the majority of the work zone is six lanes. Also, looks like most of the work will be at night:

The Contractor shall complete the required work of installing, maintaining, and removing the
traffic control devices for lane closures and restoring traffic to the existing traffic pattern. The
Contractor shall not close or narrow a lane of traffic, or close a shoulder, on I-40 during the
following time restrictions:
DAY AND TIME RESTRICTIONS
Saturday thru Thursday, 6:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 12:00 A.M. (Midnight)

Transportation Management Plans

wdcrft63

Tonight NCDOT will open the new eastbound lanes of I-40 at the I-77 interchange, an important step in what seems like an interminable project. The announcement is a bit confusing but it's trying to say the old eastbound lanes will still be available for access to I-77.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-15-i-40-traffic-shift.aspx

LM117

As part of the I-40 widening project between Raleigh and Clayton, the Jones Sausage Road bridge will be closed overnight several times this week in order to prepare the ramps for the upcoming DDI conversion

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-10-16-jones-sausage-bridge-closure.aspx

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 15, 2023, 07:37:00 PM
Tonight NCDOT will open the new eastbound lanes of I-40 at the I-77 interchange, an important step in what seems like an interminable project. The announcement is a bit confusing but it's trying to say the old eastbound lanes will still be available for access to I-77.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-15-i-40-traffic-shift.aspx

Lol yeah the old I-40 eastbound lanes became the CD lanes for both I-77 and US 21 exits with one lane to rejoin I-40 East after I-77 ramps depart, so technically they're right.

bob7374

NCDOT is also starting a project to fix the 'bumpy lane' along I-40 in the Asheville area:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-10-16-i-40-bumpy-lane-buncombe.aspx

LM117

The Jones Sausage Road bridge over I-40 in Garner will be closed for the weekend as part of the DDI conversion project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-11-17-jones-sausage-bridge-closed.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

Signs are up indicating nighttime closures for all the ramps at the 321 cloverleaf.

bob7374

LM117

As part of the I-40 widening project in Orange County, a part of Millhouse Road will be closed for 4 months, beginning Sunday night at 11:00, so that the existing I-40 bridges over Millhouse Road can be widened.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-06-03-millhouse-road-long-term-closure.aspx

Dirt Roads

Also as part of the I-40 widening project in Orange County, the "new lanes" for the bridge over Old NC-86 at Exit 261 are now being utilized for westbound traffic whilst the old westbound structure is being removed/reconstructed.  Those "new lanes" appear to be some 5 or 6 feet higher in elevation than the existing bridges on either side.  Not sure whether the "new lanes" will eventually become two of the three eastbound lanes on the bridge, or will be further reconstructed with a tall Jersey barrier down the middle (ergo, one new eastbound and one new westbound like most of the rest of the I-40 widening project).

Strider

NCDOT is about to wrap up the I-40/I-77/US 21 Partial Turbine interchange. (US 21 interchange is connected via CD lanes) This Youtuber drove and showed most of the interchange area except for I-77 South to I-40 East loop ramp. Here is the video link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I35GayoPtDk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.