News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AG Drummond Requests Audit Of Oklahoma Turnpike Authority

Started by bugo, March 16, 2023, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

AG Drummond Requests Audit Of Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (www.news9.com)

Wednesday, March 15th 2023, 5:32 pm
By: News 9

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond has requested an investigative audit of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.

On Wednesday, Drummond requested state Auditor Cindy Byrd to conduct the audit into the agency.

Drummond sent the following statement in a letter to Byrd:

Quote from: Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond"I have had many conversations over the past few months with legislators, community leaders, private citizens and state employees who have expressed a wide array of concerns with the financial conduct of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority ("OTA" ). These concerns include but are not limited to improper transfers between the OTA and the Department of Transportation; improper contracting and purchasing practices; and inadequate internal financial controls."

The audit comes after months of allegations involving the agency.

A Cleveland County district judge, in December, held that the agency violated the state's Open Meetings Act based on vague wording in both the January and February meeting agendas.

Oklahoma Turnpike Authority responded to Attorney General Drummond's request for audit stating,

Quote from: OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz"To be emphatically clear, the Turnpike Authority has the highest regard for openness and transparency and strives to conduct all business in accordance with laws, rules and regulations in every aspect of its duties and responsibilities to the citizens of Oklahoma,"  said Secretary of Transportation and OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz.

The OTA is confident the request from Attorney General Drummond will address his concerns and clear up misinformation and operational misunderstandings, according to the OTA.

edwaleni

Quote from: bugo on March 16, 2023, 05:21:38 PM

Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond has requested an investigative audit of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.

On Wednesday, Drummond requested state Auditor Cindy Byrd to conduct the audit into the agency.

Quote from: Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond"I have had many conversations over the past few months with legislators, community leaders, private citizens and state employees who have expressed a wide array of concerns with the financial conduct of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority ("OTA" ). These concerns include but are not limited to improper transfers between the OTA and the Department of Transportation; improper contracting and purchasing practices; and inadequate internal financial controls."

A Cleveland County district judge, in December, held that the agency violated the state's Open Meetings Act based on vague wording in both the January and February meeting agendas.

Oklahoma Turnpike Authority responded to Attorney General Drummond's request for audit stating,

Quote from: OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz"To be emphatically clear, the Turnpike Authority has the highest regard for openness and transparency and strives to conduct all business in accordance with laws, rules and regulations in every aspect of its duties and responsibilities to the citizens of Oklahoma,"  said Secretary of Transportation and OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz.

The OTA is confident the request from Attorney General Drummond will address his concerns and clear up misinformation and operational misunderstandings, according to the OTA.

Since the OTA is a function under a state charter, they should be publishing their annual audits anyway and their detailed books by request.

Then you wouldn't need a judge to have to books pried open for sunshine to come through.

rte66man

Quote from: edwaleni on March 17, 2023, 11:13:17 AM
Quote from: bugo on March 16, 2023, 05:21:38 PM

Since the OTA is a function under a state charter, they should be publishing their annual audits anyway and their detailed books by request.

Then you wouldn't need a judge to have to books pried open for sunshine to come through.

They are and have been publicly available for quite a while.

https://oklahoma.gov/ota/investor-relations/annual-financial-report.html

This is just typical OK politics. Piss fight between Governor and AG.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

CometTheMountainLion

This makes perfect sense. OTA raises their tolls almost every time I use a turnpike. They set up interchanges to try to trick and trap you on their roads. And they strategically eat up domain names.
My terms:

Greater I-45 - I-45 plus US-75 and US-69 to Big Cabin, OK.

CraIGs or CraIGeSQuE- Any sign similar to the late infamous “CraIG COUntY” sign.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CometTheMountainLion

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2023, 01:37:24 PM
Quote from: CometTheMountainLion on March 22, 2023, 01:26:10 PM
They set up interchanges to try to trick and trap you on their roads.

What does this mean?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UsxwNTURLR5oxgoXA?g_st=ic

Here at the start of the Muskogee Turnpike, they have a free exit to Coweta. But it is possible for someone in the left lane to be trapped there by a large amount of traffic in the right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yW6Z5SNWcRLfNrdo7?g_st=ic

With the Cherokee Turnpike, the free US-412 splits from the turnpike by an exit only lane, leaving the possibility of being trapped in the lane to the turnpike by heavy traffic or a long vehicle in the other lane.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sFeovX7MvkBhERj57?g_st=ic

Similar situation with the southern terminus of the Indian Nation Turnpike. US-70 and 271 do a TOTSO and the main road becomes the INT. It's like they are hoping people miss the US-70/271 TOTSO.

1 was the first to point out these "toll traps" : https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28076.msg2551607#msg2551607
My terms:

Greater I-45 - I-45 plus US-75 and US-69 to Big Cabin, OK.

CraIGs or CraIGeSQuE- Any sign similar to the late infamous “CraIG COUntY” sign.

kphoger

Quote from: CometTheMountainLion on March 22, 2023, 02:04:29 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UsxwNTURLR5oxgoXA?g_st=ic

Here at the start of the Muskogee Turnpike, they have a free exit to Coweta. But it is possible for someone in the left lane to be trapped there by a large amount of traffic in the right.

So, if you're planning to exit, and you're in the left lane, and there's a lot of traffic in the right lane, so you can't merge over in time...  that's evidence that the OTA designed the interchange specifically to prevent you exiting?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yW6Z5SNWcRLfNrdo7?g_st=ic

With the Cherokee Turnpike, the free US-412 splits from the turnpike by an exit only lane, leaving the possibility of being trapped in the lane to the turnpike.

Then just get in the correct lane.  Problem solved!  I mean, there's advance signage in two locations.  It's not like it sneaks up on you.

I mean, really, how are these examples any different or worse than many other highways that become toll roads?  Like where I-35 turns into the Kansas Turnpike at a regular ParClo at its south end?  Or I-90 where it turns into the Northwest Tollway at a 0.1-mile accel/decel lane in Illinois?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Similar situation with the southern terminus of the Indian Nation Turnpike. US-70 and 271 do a TOTSO and the main road becomes the INT. It's like they are hoping people miss the US-70/271 TOTSO.
1 was the first to point out these "toll traps" : https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28076.msg2551607#msg2551607

Actually, he wasn't. I mentioned it on August 11, 2013:

The OTA is sleazy.  It tricks motorists into taking their turnpikes when they meant to stay on I-44.  This happens in two places, both westbound.  The first place is at the Creek Turnpike/US 412 interchange near Catoosa.  I-44 exits off itself and becomes a free road while the mainline continues as the Creek Turnpike, a (surprise!) toll road.  The second place is at the I-35/I-44/Turner Turnpike/Kilpatrick Turnpike interchange, where I-44 exits off itself, this time a one lane left exit.  This was done on purpose, no doubt.  I-44 should be the through route in both of these situations (and the other places that it exits off itself for that matter).  The Kilpatrick Turnpike example is especially frustrating as it isn't a bypass for I-44.

And I don't claim to be the first person to mention it. I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice it. I remember talking about the same thing circa 2009, but I can't find any posts here that are that old where I mentioned it.

Bobby5280

Oh good grief. There is plenty of advance signage warning motorists of the impending turnpike. The I-44/US-412/Creek Turnpike interchange is actually an improvement over the former split between OK-66 and the Will Rogers Turnpike. WB I-44 gets a two lane exit ramp in that cloverleaf interchange and EB I-44 gets a two lane flyover ramp.

This thing of "The OTA tricks us into using their turnpikes" sounds like it can go with the demands of getting rid of the toll gantries "since the roads are paid for" -never mind the massive gasoline tax hike we would see as a result of 600+ miles of turnpikes being made "free."

zzcarp

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 24, 2023, 12:39:28 PM
Oh good grief. There is plenty of advance signage warning motorists of the impending turnpike. The I-44/US-412/Creek Turnpike interchange is actually an improvement over the former split between OK-66 and the Will Rogers Turnpike. WB I-44 gets a two lane exit ramp in that cloverleaf interchange and EB I-44 gets a two lane flyover ramp.

This thing of "The OTA tricks us into using their turnpikes" sounds like it can go with the demands of getting rid of the toll gantries "since the roads are paid for" -never mind the massive gasoline tax hike we would see as a result of 600+ miles of turnpikes being made "free."

Wouldn't this WB exit benefit from a yellow "Toll Road" banner over the OK-364 Creek Turnpike BGS? There are plenty of places in the country where turnpike doesn't necessarily (now) equate to toll road. It just looks like a free state route freeway continuation, not the beginning of a toll road.
So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

As I said...

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2023, 02:28:34 PM
I mean, really, how are these examples any different or worse than many other highways that become toll roads?  Like where I-35 turns into the Kansas Turnpike at a regular ParClo at its south end?  Or I-90 where it turns into the Northwest Tollway at a 0.1-mile accel/decel lane in Illinois?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: zzcarp on March 24, 2023, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 24, 2023, 12:39:28 PM

Wouldn't this WB exit benefit from a yellow "Toll Road" banner over the OK-364 Creek Turnpike BGS? There are plenty of places in the country where turnpike doesn't necessarily (now) equate to toll road. It just looks like a free state route freeway continuation, not the beginning of a toll road.

Well, given that you're already on a toll road where you see that sign, presumably they're assuming you're already cool with tolls at that point.

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 05:03:56 PM
As I said...

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2023, 02:28:34 PM

I will say that as a fellow Oklahoman I share Comet's fear of being trapped in a lane I don't want to be in. It seems to be something that Oklahomans like to do to each other. When someone actually puts some degree of effort into letting me make a lane change, it seems unusual to me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.