News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: jdunlop on May 05, 2024, 11:44:01 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on May 05, 2024, 10:27:32 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 05, 2024, 06:55:57 PMOn the forum a few years ago I proposed I-740 for the section of Wade Avenue connecting I-40 to I-440. That didn't get anywhere either. That Wade Avenue freeway doesn't even have a primary highway number.
Maybe the Wade Avenue freeway could be NC 340 since I do not see a NC 340 listed on the NCRoads.com annex—-unless Wade Avenue is owned by the city of Raleigh ala Sam Cooper Blvd. in Memphis.

Wade Avenue, like almost all major roads in NC, is maintained by the State.

It's also not going to be an interstate.  That went away when the current plans for the I-440/Wade interchange included a traffic signal for an interstate (I-440 EB) to possible interstate (Wade WB) movement. Per FHWA (at least the NC 'section), those movements must be free-flow, without signals or other traffic control devices (stop signs) other than the typical ramp yield signs used for merging.

I would be happy to see Wade Avenue as NC 340. I think a major freeway link used by visitors as well as locals should be signed with a route number, just like the NC 192 planned for Winston-Salem.

roadman65

Wade Avenue was originally I-40 before it got extended eastward. Although I-440 didn't exist then, it ended at US 1/64 then.

Why I bring this up is the same scenario with I-74 near Greensboro with part of an interstate being downgraded so it can be realigned to continue before its terminus.

I agree though, Wade Avenue should be numbered instead of having freeway with a non freeway street name. Even if it's an NC designation, it's an improvement.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

From Fictional Highways:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?msg=2115384

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 24, 2015, 07:59:58 PMWade Avenue Extension: Rerouted NC 54 (requires a short duplex with I-40 between exits 290 and 289,  I would extend this on Wade Avenue to US 70/NC 50 at Glenwood Ave).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Wade Ave. is Secondary Route 1728. That's probably the only designation the freeway/boulevard needs. Maybe the interchanges could get numbers, since it is North Carolina's custom to number freeway exits, even on non-Interstates.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 07, 2024, 10:50:13 PMWade Ave. is Secondary Route 1728. That's probably the only designation the freeway/boulevard needs. Maybe the interchanges could get numbers, since it is North Carolina's custom to number freeway exits, even on non-Interstates.
If NCDOT calls Wade Avenue a secondary route, that seems silly to me but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that a road as important as Wade Avenue should have a visible number for the benefit of travelers. If 1728 is the official number then put 1728 above "Wade Avenue" on the big green signs.

jdunlop

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 08, 2024, 06:04:31 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 07, 2024, 10:50:13 PMWade Ave. is Secondary Route 1728. That's probably the only designation the freeway/boulevard needs. Maybe the interchanges could get numbers, since it is North Carolina's custom to number freeway exits, even on non-Interstates.
If NCDOT calls Wade Avenue a secondary route, that seems silly to me but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that a road as important as Wade Avenue should have a visible number for the benefit of travelers. If 1728 is the official number then put 1728 above "Wade Avenue" on the big green signs.

It's been working for 50 or so years (40+ since I-40 was built past the interchange exit 289.). hasn't needed a number all that time for a roughly 2.5 mile road.

I don't believe any SR 'number is listed on an over head sign in N.C.

When it was built, the only cross-street was Blue Ridge.  The interchange there provided direct access to the fairgrounds, plus the connection to Carter-Finley parking lot, (and the connection to future I-40 and on to Durham releasing traffic on US 70).  It was just an extension of the section of Wade inside the belt line.  (Heck, they used to use the median for parking for the fair and football games.  That finally went away when Edwards Mill was extended.

On the flip side, a number (147) was added 20+ years after the East-West Expressway/IL "Buck" Dean Expressway/Durham Freeway existed (Erwin Road to I-40) once it was finally connected to 85.  That number WAS 'because numbers were easier to remember pre-GPS.  But that was for a longer road.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PColumbus73

Wade Avenue is short enough that adding a number would be a waste of signage at best, or worse just cause driver confusion. Signage already indicates that one can use it to access 40 and 440. Giving Wade Avenue an interstate number might encourage more drivers to use it to get Downtown when I-40 is likely the preferred route by NCDOT and Raleigh officials.

jdunlop

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 08, 2024, 07:27:22 PM
Quote from: jdunlop on May 08, 2024, 07:07:06 PMI don't believe any SR 'number is listed on an over head sign in N.C.
;-)
US 64 says hi (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219660587945744&set=a.10219660683028121)

Figured somebody would find an exception.  OK, RARELY does NCDOT post an SR 'number on an exit sign.   ;-)

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2024, 07:42:59 PMWade Avenue was originally I-40 before it got extended eastward. Although I-440 didn't exist then, it ended at US 1/64 then.

Why I bring this up is the same scenario with I-74 near Greensboro with part of an interstate being downgraded so it can be realigned to continue before its terminus.

I agree though, Wade Avenue should be numbered instead of having freeway with a non freeway street name. Even if it's an NC designation, it's an improvement.

Although Wade Ave might have been signed as Temp 40 or TO 40 or something, it has never been in the interstate system.  See the 1972 Wake County map which clearly shows Wade Ave as FAP and the existing and proposed I-40 as FAI.

Per gribblenation it also had at-grade accesses.  Historicaerials confirms 2 accesses up through the mid-1990s.

There is also no route change document at the NCDOT site changing it to SR 1728.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.