News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 19, 2020, 07:41:58 PM
https://youtu.be/gmQm6G5w4bM?t=32

the timing there doesn't look so smart to me.

Get the damn bikes out of the median! Stripe a shoulder or something; far less money. But that's beside the point I guess...
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 19, 2020, 08:41:26 PM
Get the damn bikes out of the median! Stripe a shoulder or something; far less money. But that's beside the point I guess...

Yeah, a bike lane on the shoulder would be cheaper, but a separated bike facility is inherently safer for bicyclists than a bike lane.

This is more innovative than I've seen elsewhere, as it being in the median dramatically reduces bicycle conflict points with smaller intersections and driveways. And it probably was far less to implement this way than to construct a two-way cycle track on one side of the street or the other, given the existing layout.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: SignBridge on June 19, 2020, 08:38:39 PM
Love those California style traffic lights!
mhm but go to 0:31
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

SignBridge

mhm?..........What about 0:31?

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on June 20, 2020, 08:22:18 PM

The left turn and the bike signals are both showing "go" signals (yellow left arrow, green bike symbol).

The placement, however, is still excellent as usual.

Quote from: roadfro on June 20, 2020, 03:29:37 PM
This is more innovative than I've seen elsewhere, as it being in the median dramatically reduces bicycle conflict points with smaller intersections and driveways. And it probably was far less to implement this way than to construct a two-way cycle track on one side of the street or the other, given the existing layout.

The classic case study is usually Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC. The wide median was formerly parking, but was converted to a two-way cycle track about ten years ago.

SignBridge

You're right Jakeroot. The bicycle signal should not have gone to green until the left-turn signal was red. Looks like a programming error maybe?

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on June 20, 2020, 09:20:47 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on June 20, 2020, 08:22:18 PM

The left turn and the bike signals are both showing "go" signals (yellow left arrow, green bike symbol).

The placement, however, is still excellent as usual.

Quote from: roadfro on June 20, 2020, 03:29:37 PM

The classic case study is usually Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC. The wide median was formerly parking, but was converted to a two-way cycle track about ten years ago.

The median on Pennsylvania was not legal parking, at least in the years that I've been working nearby.  I remember that before the bike lane was insalled, all you had was a wide painted median.  Taxi drivers would make illegal midblock u-turns through this median all the time.
Because of Inauguration related activities, Pennsylvania Ave is somewhat unique.  Double white lines instead of yellow to separate traffic!  Also, in order to allow for the presidential parade, there is no cement island along the street.  During normal oprations, there are singals placed in the median, because the street is so wide.  Since the signal faces are there, there is no ability to turn this into a regular lane. 

While there are some safety concerns with a median bike lane, the one in washignton is done really well.  No lane of traffic was removed for its placement.  Occasional thru lanes were converted to left turn lanes at certain intersections, although most left turns between the Captiol and hte White House are prohibited.  While no cement median to protet the bikers, there are removable "armadillos" that at least make it difficult for cars to enter the bike lanes.  I can tell you that pre-COVID this was a really popular bike route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8941066,-77.0243159,3a,75y,191.76h,85.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6NyTgXDzJIQ004vug87EYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

roadfro

^ Also quite interesting. Although that definitely should be a double yellow between the bike lanes...

I'm not sure that I would feel as comfortable using these median bike lanes as opposed to the previous example from California. They seem a bit less protected for my liking. (Although I'm saying this having not ridden a bike on any major street in quite some time.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on June 21, 2020, 11:24:56 AM
The median on Pennsylvania was not legal parking, at least in the years that I've been working nearby.  I remember that before the bike lane was insalled, all you had was a wide painted median.  Taxi drivers would make illegal midblock u-turns through this median all the time.

I think I was misappropriating some of the existing median parking near the eastern end of the street as something that occurred along the entire stretch, although historic street view clearly shows that the median was not used for parking at any point. That said, historic satellite imagery suggests that it was informally used by some cars for parking, although the imagery isn't clear enough to show what these vehicles might have been doing in the median. For all I know, it was just police vehicles hanging out, and they get to do what they want, I guess lol

Quote from: roadfro on June 21, 2020, 01:20:26 PM
I'm not sure that I would feel as comfortable using these median bike lanes as opposed to the previous example from California. They seem a bit less protected for my liking. (Although I'm saying this having not ridden a bike on any major street in quite some time.)

I would have to agree with mrsman's sentiments. It's actually quite well done. It seems poorly protected, although the black and white armadillos seem to deter 95%+ of illegal U-turns. I've ridden scooters and bikes up and down this stretch quite a lot over the last couple years, at it's usually quite pleasant. Especially compared to other bike lanes in the city, particularly around the mall, as cars like to park in them, and pedestrians frequently wander into them. The only issue with the track along Pennsylvania Ave is at intersections, where pedestrians end up right in the middle of the cycle track waiting to cross the second half of the street. The signals are long enough to cross in one fell swoop, but "pedestrian wandering" is extremely common in DC, and people hang out in medians waiting to cross all the time, especially if they started crossing with only a couple seconds left.

jakeroot

Unrelated, but related to both Pennsylvania Ave and traffic signals: the double permissive right turn from Pennsylvania Ave to southbound 9th has been removed, in favour of a protected-only turn. I know the city has been removing double permissive lefts, although I didn't know they were tackling the double rights as well. I saw them modifying the signal when I was there last summer, although it had been in limbo and I wasn't sure if they were actually going through with the change. A "no turn on red arrow" sign was installed, but the signal was still all orb displays:

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2020, 02:52:11 PM
Unrelated, but related to both Pennsylvania Ave and traffic signals: the double permissive right turn from Pennsylvania Ave to southbound 9th has been removed, in favour of a protected-only turn. I know the city has been removing double permissive lefts, although I didn't know they were tackling the double rights as well. I saw them modifying the signal when I was there last summer, although it had been in limbo and I wasn't sure if they were actually going through with the change. A "no turn on red arrow" sign was installed, but the signal was still all orb displays:

This picture was taken probably days before they implemented the arrow signal.  If you see in the distance there is a signal face to the right of the further green signal next to the Archives building that is covered in tarp.  That is now a RA-YA-GA signal.  The near side signal facing backwards that is the most prominent signal in the photo is now also a RA-YA-GA signal.  In this way both straight traffic and right turning traffic have two signal faces.  For whatever reason, the sign was put up before the arrow signal came into effect.  [It probably should have been covered up until the arrow signal was ready to be displayed.]

This is part of a project in the name of pedestrian safety to eliminate pedestrian conflict at any existing dual turn.  I mentioned this a few months ago on the "double left turn thread":

Quote from: mrsman on March 10, 2020, 11:19:32 AM
DC is going through a process of adjusting the signals on all double turns to avoid conflict with pedestrians.  I don't believe there were any double lefts permissive against opposing traffic [which is the main emphasis of this thread], but there were double lefts and double rights against pedestrians that are now going to become protected only turns to separate turning traffic from pedestrians.

In the name of Vision Zero.

https://ddot.dc.gov/page/intersections-dual-turn-lanes

[Right before my office closed, I took advantage of walking around DC to check out specific examples from the list on the link.  In some cases, a dual turn lane became a single turn lane.  In other cases, pedestrian separation of a double turn has occurred - just as the example at 9th and Penn that Jake Root posted.  9th and Penn is really close to my office and when I saw the changes, I decided to learn more and used the extra time I had to do some extended walking around Downtown DC.  Many of the changes already occurred in the blocks near the White House.]

With respect to this corner, recently it was two lanes with the non-curb lane being an option/right lane.  With the addition of the RA-YA-GA signal, it was transformed into two right turn lanes.  This is a busy turn as it leads to the 9th street tunnel that gets right to I-395 to Virginia.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 24, 2020, 10:35:41 PM
I wish NJ would do sexy thick mast arms like this more often  :clap:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@39.4870372,-75.0431734,3a,75y,278.83h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl1J3c-LOME5kHvY4uBWw2g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

They seem a little too thick to me. I don't mind some heft, although I'm more bothered by mast arms that are too long.

Amtrakprod

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

SignBridge

Those thick mast-arms are New York State DOT style. Increasingly common on Long Island. First time I've seen them used in New Jersey. And BTW, is that intersection the whole downtown Vineland business district or is there an actual village somewhere near there? LOL

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SignBridge on June 25, 2020, 08:59:17 PM
Those thick mast-arms are New York State DOT style. Increasingly common on Long Island. First time I've seen them used in New Jersey. And BTW, is that intersection the whole downtown Vineland business district or is there an actual village somewhere near there? LOL
There's plenty of downtown businesses heading east on Landis Ave.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on June 25, 2020, 01:53:15 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 24, 2020, 10:35:41 PM
I wish NJ would do sexy thick mast arms like this more often  :clap:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@39.4870372,-75.0431734,3a,75y,278.83h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl1J3c-LOME5kHvY4uBWw2g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

They seem a little too thick to me. I don't mind some heft, although I'm more bothered by mast arms that are too long.

They installed them along NJ 38 several years ago.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9QEGJJ3QNVwohjth8

Here's an interesting case though...they revised most of the intersection at NJ 73 and Fellowship road. NJ 73 South and Fellowship Road North/South received long but moderate-width masts to span up to 5 lanes.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Yam99PuQg7xX519p7

But for NJ 73 North, they never touched what existed, so they left the light as is, which is more of the traditional Jersey simple setup. For those at the stop line, that leaves 1 light for the left turn lane, and for the 3 thru lanes, they get just one overhead signal, and one side mounted signal to the right!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UVX5Di6AHjSj6XV2A

Amtrakprod

jakeroot

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.