News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

^^

3. Lack of a second signal face for the straight through movement.
4. Yellow signal is in conflict with the green straight arrow -- they both should show the same indication.
5. The mast arm assembly should be on the far side corner and not on the near side corner so that traffic in the intersection should know what the signal displays. The signal should be just after Elm, not just before it.

jeffandnicole

#5 isn't a requirement.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2020, 12:26:32 AM
#5 isn't a requirement.

Maybe that's why he said "should" and not "shall"...?   :bigass:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

I was poking round downtown Denver on Colfax Ave and some of these pre-2010 signals are pretty interesting--plenty of 60s-70s 12-8-8 stuff, oversized arrows, trombone arms, etc. Pretty much all of it is now replaced with those standard uniform CO mast arms complete with those weirdly-shaped Colo doghouses.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 08, 2020, 12:17:54 PM
I was poking round downtown Denver on Colfax Ave and some of these pre-2010 signals are pretty interesting--plenty of 60s-70s 12-8-8 stuff, oversized arrows, trombone arms, etc. Pretty much all of it is now replaced with those standard uniform CO mast arms complete with those weirdly-shaped Colo doghouses.

I'm willing to bet WV doesn't find those doghouses weird at all.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 08, 2020, 12:17:54 PM
Pretty much all of it is now replaced with those standard uniform CO mast arms complete with those weirdly-shaped Colo doghouses.

I've always thought that style made better sense. It's more in line with what the rest of the world does with regards to turn arrows (UK, AU, and NZ come to mind). I think the doghouse configuration is US- (and territories-) exclusive. Personally, I think in-line look better. But that's just me.

As a comment on the terminology: doghouse isn't quite right when used to describe the in-line style used in places like CO. Unless the doghouse has a really slanted roof without a peak :-D.

As well, they're not exactly CO-specific. Common in Colorado, yes, but seen elsewhere too (as mentioned above by plain).

mrsman

While all functionally the same signal, quite a few ways to lay out the 5 aspect PPLT signal:

Towers:
R
Y
G
YA
GA

These are commonly all 12" heads, but older versions would have 8 for the orbs and 12 for the arrows.  Some would also have 12 for the red orb, 12 for the arrows, and 8 for the yellow and green.

Someone else can add how these are oriented for horizontal signals, as I do not recall.

Doghouse - Standard US:

R
YA         Y
GA         G

(Almost always with 12" heads)

Doghouse - Aligned based on direction:

R
YA           Y
GA          G

(Almost always with 12" heads)

8/12 hybrid Doghouse - popular in Maryland:

Aligned like the case above, but because the orbs are 8" the signal as a whole looks square

Look at the near side signal here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0321815,-77.0483625,3a,75y,207.57h,87.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxGgNOzLpe7x8SybCsX9OlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Any others that I missed?

Big John

^^ Horizontal signal:  R  Y  LYA  LGA (G or TA) RYA RGA

Amtrakprod

Pretty cool crosswalk button.

iPhone

SignBridge

That so called weird Doghouse signal used in Colorado is the standard configuration in Nassau County NY on Long Island. It's called a side-by-side. And I think it's better looking and more visually logical than the traditional Doghouse.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: SignBridge on July 08, 2020, 08:38:21 PM
That so called weird Doghouse signal used in Colorado is the standard configuration in Nassau County NY on Long Island. It's called a side-by-side. And I think it's better looking and more visually logical than the traditional Doghouse.

Suffolk and NYC use that style too instead of standard doghouses (where FYAs or stacks are not otherwise used). 100% agree that it is easier to understand and looks better.

STLmapboy

I've always thought of the standard doghouses or Illinois-style inline-5s look better, but maybe that's just me.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ErmineNotyours

Okay, there's a lane split and no crossing on the main road.  Why does the main road have a signal with three signal heads?  Why isn't it just a green-T?

STLmapboy

Here's a double right doghouse-controlled turn in Sioux City, Iowa. Any more of these?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mrsman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 09, 2020, 11:49:38 PM
Okay, there's a lane split and no crossing on the main road.  Why does the main road have a signal with three signal heads?  Why isn't it just a green-T?

While the green-T is the most proper signal in this instance, it is not necessarily a bad thing to put up a regular signal.  Perhaps it was easier for the signal department to put up a normal signal.  Also, just because it is possible to signalize red and yellow, doesn't mean that it actually does.

I recall this signal in Washington DC at Pennsylvania and Constitution.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8917729,-77.0166988,3a,75y,103.53h,72.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1smgFSWR76quUpmfR9xMPTLQ!2e0!5s20161001T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Notice that there seems to be no reason for straight traffic to ever stop.  For the longest time, that was in fact the case, and the signal showed green continuously even though it used a normal signal head.

So why does it turn red now?  When the median bike lanes were installed, they used the straight signals to control the bike lane traffic as well.  As these are in conflict with the left turn, they have to be red when the left turn gets a green arrow.  Could this be addressed with bike signals?  Probably, but given that the signals are all close to each other, a bike signal may be confused with the straight signal and should probably not be used in the interests of safety.  In a normal intersection, the straight signals could be kept on the right side with the use of mast arms, but given the direct view of the Capitol, mast arms are not allowed on Pennsylvania, despit the street's width, so that the view of the building is not impacted.

thenetwork

I like to think of those non-doghouses as "Backward Utah's" since they look like the state of Utah, but reversed.

mrsman

Quote from: thenetwork on July 10, 2020, 08:48:55 AM

I like to think of those non-doghouses as "Backward Utah's" since they look like the state of Utah, but reversed.

But if they are for right turn signals, they are forward Utahs.

STLmapboy

Quote from: mrsman on July 10, 2020, 09:28:57 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 10, 2020, 08:48:55 AM

Like these (yes I quoted myself):
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 10, 2020, 01:13:30 AM
Here's a double right doghouse-controlled turn in Sioux City, Iowa. Any more of these?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

RestrictOnTheHanger

Heres one on Long Island

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vh2D1r9uQaCY5CBq8

STLmapboy

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on July 10, 2020, 12:10:46 PM

Heres one on Long Island

Cool! Also got those weird extended visors that are so common in California.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mrsman

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on July 10, 2020, 12:10:46 PM

Heres one on Long Island

The right turn doghouses in Iowa are shaped like regular doghouses.  The ones on Long Island are absolutley shaped like Utah, the yellow border makes this point more obvious.

riiga

Quote from: mrsman on July 10, 2020, 09:28:57 AM
Such signals are standard design here, Sweden's full of Utahs.  :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.