News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

If every proposal came to light, there would probably be twice the number of crossings between NJ & DE, or NJ & PA, that there are now.

EricJV95

$ 8.00 on the I-95 Bridge over the "Suzy Q" River from Md. to Del. ?!! Who the ? What the ? ARE THEY CRAZY ??!!!! HECK !!! From the Delaware Memorial Bridge traveling the ENTIRE N.J. Turnpike up to either EXITS 16E or 18E (110 Miles) is $9.35 . They better get it together in Maryland. That's a pure RIP OFF !!!

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: EricJV95 on July 29, 2015, 08:54:35 PM
$ 8.00 on the I-95 Bridge over the "Suzy Q" River from Md. to Del. ?!! Who the ? What the ? ARE THEY CRAZY ??!!!! HECK !!! From the Delaware Memorial Bridge traveling the ENTIRE N.J. Turnpike up to either EXITS 16E or 18E (110 Miles) is $9.35 . They better get it together in Maryland. That's a pure RIP OFF !!!

Some bridges in NYC have peak non-EZPass Toll rates of 13 dollars. Also the 8.00 toll basically supports the entire length of the JFK Memorial Highway. I-95 at that JFK Memorial highway is basically the Maryland Turnpike.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jeffandnicole

Quote from: EricJV95 on July 29, 2015, 08:54:35 PM

A) This has nothing to do with Delaware.

B) It's $13.85 ($10.40 Offpeak EZPass) for the NJ Turnpike from 1 to 18E/W. 

C) It's $8 one way.  For comparison's sake, you'll pay $27.70 R/T riding the entire NJ Turnpike. 

Now you can calm your rage down when you compare apples to apples.

froggie

Besides what Jeff said, that toll at the Susquehanna also supports ALL of I-95 from Baltimore to the Delaware line.  MdTA (the toll agency) maintains that entire stretch of I-95...not SHA.

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2015, 12:11:28 AM
Besides what Jeff said, that toll at the Susquehanna also supports ALL of I-95 from Baltimore to the Delaware line.  MdTA (the toll agency) maintains that entire stretch of I-95...not SHA.
It's also worth noting that the toll along the parallel Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US 40) is also $8 (one-way eastbound).  I believe the MdTA maintains that bridge as well.

Side bar: as of this July 1, there is now a discounted toll rate of $6 for Maryland E-ZPass accounts for both Susquehanna River crossings.  MD Toll Rates Effective July 1, 2015
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

QuoteIt's also worth noting that the toll along the parallel Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US 40) is also $8 (one-way eastbound).  I believe the MdTA maintains that bridge as well.

Not sure about the toll, but yes MdTA maintains the Hatem Bridge too.

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2015, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: PHLBOSIt's also worth noting that the toll along the parallel Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US 40) is also $8 (one-way eastbound).  I believe the MdTA maintains that bridge as well.
Unless otherwise noted (one of the MD-area AARoaders can confirm/clarify); it's a reasonably logical assumption that if MdTA maintains the bridge, the monies (most if not all) collected from the tolls on that bridge goes to them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2015, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 31, 2015, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: PHLBOSIt's also worth noting that the toll along the parallel Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US 40) is also $8 (one-way eastbound).  I believe the MdTA maintains that bridge as well.
Unless otherwise noted (one of the MD-area AARoaders can confirm/clarify); it's a reasonably logical assumption that if MdTA maintains the bridge, the monies (most if not all) collected from the tolls on that bridge goes to them.

MdTA does indeed maintain the bridge (they have done several expensive repair projects on it recently, including a big job to strengthen its pier footings in the Susquehanna River), and yes, it collects and keeps the tolls, though it is my understanding that the revenues collected are handled somewhat differently from the other MdTA toll facilities (I do not believe the money is pledged to help to pay holders of MdTA revenue bonds).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

You all ruined a perfectly amusing rant.

froggie

You'll get over it...

Alex

DelDOT to spend more cash than before with new projects

QuoteDelaware's spending on road projects is expected to rival pre-recession expenditures after a legislative deal allowed transportation officials to move forward on long-planned projects that include an overpass in Frederica, the widening of Del. 1 near the Roth Bridge, and an expanded rail station in Newark.

Delaware funds its capital projects with a mix of state and federal money, but for the next several years the state is expected to spend more of its own money on road construction than it has in years.

The increase in spending, laid out in an estimated $3.4 billion capital transportation plan for 2017 through 2022, will go toward projects that would rid potholes from busy streets, keep aging bridges from crumbling and expanding current routes throughout the state.

Some of those projects include:

- $41.7 million to improve the ramps at the I-95 and SR 141 interchange

- $261 million project to widen Del. 1 from the intersection of SR 273, along the Roth Bridge, to U.S. 13/Tybouts Corner and SR 72

- $29.3 million for the South Frederica overpass that would provide access to the proposed Kent County Sports Complex

- $3.1 million for a connector from Del. 1 to New Road in Lewes to alleviate traffic heading into the beach town

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alex on August 05, 2015, 10:56:41 AM
DelDOT to spend more cash than before with new projects

QuoteDelaware's spending on road projects is expected to rival pre-recession expenditures after a legislative deal allowed transportation officials to move forward on long-planned projects that include an overpass in Frederica, the widening of Del. 1 near the Roth Bridge, and an expanded rail station in Newark.

Delaware funds its capital projects with a mix of state and federal money, but for the next several years the state is expected to spend more of its own money on road construction than it has in years.

The increase in spending, laid out in an estimated $3.4 billion capital transportation plan for 2017 through 2022, will go toward projects that would rid potholes from busy streets, keep aging bridges from crumbling and expanding current routes throughout the state.

Some of those projects include:

- $41.7 million to improve the ramps at the I-95 and SR 141 interchange

- $261 million project to widen Del. 1 from the intersection of SR 273, along the Roth Bridge, to U.S. 13/Tybouts Corner and SR 72

- $29.3 million for the South Frederica overpass that would provide access to the proposed Kent County Sports Complex

- $3.1 million for a connector from Del. 1 to New Road in Lewes to alleviate traffic heading into the beach town
$261 million dollars, see! These palookas! Look at them spending all of this money willy nilly, see! Disgraceful!

Roadsguy

So when the DE 1 widening is all done, it's going to be six lanes from 95 to 13, and eight lanes from 13 to 72? Too bad they can't really widen the Roth Bridge to get full eight lanes from 301 north...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alex

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 05, 2015, 11:47:14 AM
So when the DE 1 widening is all done, it's going to be six lanes from 95 to 13, and eight lanes from 13 to 72? Too bad they can't really widen the Roth Bridge to get full eight lanes from 301 north...

The C&D Canal Bridge was designed so that it can be restriped to accommodate eight overall lanes.

cpzilliacus

Wonder how much of that "own" money comes from interstate drivers paying the $4 (one-way automobile) Delaware Turnpike toll?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 05, 2015, 11:49:19 AM

Wonder how much of that "own" money comes from interstate drivers paying the $4 (one-way automobile) Delaware Turnpike toll?

And the Rt. 1 bridges increased to $3 from $2 on the weekends, no doubt bringing in some decent money as well.

Over the past several years, DelDOT has rebuilt the toll plaza, rebuilt the service plaza, and rebuilt the 95/1 interchange.  There's really nothing in the foreseeable future on the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95 that needs to be fixed or constructed.  Maybe the only significant project would be at Interchange 3, and that's not going to happen for several years.  So DelDOT can freely spend the 95 toll money around on non-95 related projects for awhile.

froggie

QuoteThe C&D Canal Bridge was designed so that it can be restriped to accommodate eight overall lanes.

Downside being you'd lose all of one shoulder and part of the other...

Alex

Would prefer money go to better upgrade the cloverleaf interchange between I-95/DE 141/(US 202) versus the band-aid improvements being made. At the very least something more should be done to eliminate this ramp merge point (the preferred alternative expands the loop ramp to two lanes).

ekt8750

Quote from: Alex on August 05, 2015, 02:28:36 PM
Would prefer money go to better upgrade the cloverleaf interchange between I-95/DE 141/(US 202) versus the band-aid improvements being made. At the very least something more should be done to eliminate this ramp merge point (the preferred alternative expands the loop ramp to two lanes).

They could do something similar to what they did with the I-95/DE 1 interchange. Have two flyover ramps leading off 95 to 141, and tie in access from 295 to the SB ramp. Those clover ramps are just the worst and traffic always spills on to the freeway from them.

ixnay

I keep hearing on WDEL during morning rush that the ramp from SB DE 1/7 to SB I-95 is closed.  Why?  Am I hearing that right?  Are they rebuilding the ramp?  I'm reluctant to use delawareonline.com because of the limited number of clicks for nonsubscribers, and I don't know where to look on deldot.gov.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ixnay on August 18, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
I keep hearing on WDEL during morning rush that the ramp from SB DE 1/7 to SB I-95 is closed.  Why?  Am I hearing that right?  Are they rebuilding the ramp?  I'm reluctant to use delawareonline.com because of the limited number of clicks for nonsubscribers, and I don't know where to look on deldot.gov.

ixnay

This is all I could find, and it pertains to the ramp from I-95 North to DE 7 North.

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5657

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on August 18, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
I'm reluctant to use delawareonline.com because of the limited number of clicks for nonsubscribers, and I don't know where to look on deldot.gov.

You can get around delawareonline's paywall by opening an incognito tab if you're using Chrome.
👉😎👉

davewiecking

Quote from: ixnay on March 08, 2015, 09:18:08 AM
How's the widening project on Route 26 west of Bethany Beach coming along?  I imagine the recent snowstorms put a crimp in the timetable.  How will the project be conducted during the summer?

ixnay

http://www.coastalpoint.com/content/it%E2%80%99s_official_route_26_construction_will_continue_until_september_2016_08_14_2015
Original completion date-6/24/16; contractor George & Lynch has been credited with a total of 75 construction days lost to weather (for which they are not penalized).

Alex4897

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5677

Looks like beach traffic is going to get a whole lot messier on Route 1 in the next few years.

Basic rundown:

Thompsonville Road Grade Separated Intersection project is ongoing.
Little Heaven Grade Separated Intersection project begins in October.
South Frederica Grade Separated Intersection project begins spring 2016.
NE Front St Grade Separated Intersection project begins fall 2017.

👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.