News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-270-315-US 23 interchange

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 27, 2012, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

ODOT press release from July 1:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/I-270/Pages/Another-Milestone-Reached-on-Northside-Project.aspx

QuoteAnother Milestone Reached on Northside Project
Marching towards the Finish Line

COLUMBUS — (NEW)  Another milestone will be reached as three intersections are opened on the North Side Fix project at Interstate 270 and US Route 23 just in time for the holiday weekend. The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) started the $78 million project in 2013.

Northwoods Boulevard South and West Campus View Boulevard reopened this morning and York Temple Drive will open in time for the afternoon drive home.  All three intersections were completely re-built as part of this mega highway project.

The completion of these intersections means the completion of the entire project is just months away.

"I applaud the drivers of Central Ohio who have been patient with us during construction of this first phase,"  said Jack Marchbanks, ODOT District 6 Deputy Director. " Building additional lanes and bridges, new entrance and exit ramps that will improve safety and efficiency while maintaining traffic is challenging, but we succeeded,"  said Marchbanks.

An average of 150 to 175-thousand vehicles travel the Interstate 270/ US Route 23 interchange every day.

This project also constructed Ohio's first trench that carries two express lanes for US 23 north under the surface roads. The trench opened almost a year ago in September.

Drivers will notice when the new York Temple Drive opens later today, it's in a new location. It exits on to W. Campus View instead of US 23 directly. The intersections at Northwoods Blvd. South and W. Campus View are new but will function just as they did prior to construction.

For the remainder of the summer, the contractor will focus on completing work on the new southbound lane for US 23,  opening all southbound lanes on the new US 23 bridge over I-270 and the ramps at the interchange. Weather permitting, completion on this phase of work is expected late August or early September.

Work continues at Interstate 270 and State Route 315. That project is set to be complete late next year.

vtk

I noticed yesterday that the NB 315 exit to EB 270 now includes an orange "EXIT 12A" gore sign.  This is consistent with an exit numbering plan for 315 that I've seen, but this exit has never been signed with a number before, and I was surprised to see its debut on a temporary orange sign.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

okroads

Today, an Exit 101B BGS was being installed at the gore point for the ramp from U.S. 23 North to I-270 West. It seems odd to me that they are numbering that exit as the surrounding area of 23 isn't a freeway.

6a

If it hasn't been installed already, they're going to do the same with the 270/23 exit on the south side. If my memory serves me it'll be exit 83.

cl94

Better than how ODOT used to number exits on non-Interstates. If they had numbers, they reset at county lines. US 33 in Athens is the poster child.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

Quote from: okroads on September 12, 2016, 05:02:15 PM
Today, an Exit 101B BGS was being installed at the gore point for the ramp from U.S. 23 North to I-270 West. It seems odd to me that they are numbering that exit as the surrounding area of 23 isn't a freeway.

Just as it seemed odd to me that the entrance ramps were signed Exit 23A and Exit 23B in the past.

Quote from: cl94 on September 12, 2016, 06:45:05 PM
Better than how ODOT used to number exits on non-Interstates. If they had numbers, they reset at county lines. US 33 in Athens is the poster child.

US 33 in Athens is the poster child for a lot of signage fails.

cl94

23A/B was using the mileage from the county line so it made some sense
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

amroad17

Ohio has been adding/replacing exit tabs throughout the state in the last 10-12 years to conform to mileage from the state line instead of the county lines--except for US 33 in Athens (and OH 32 near Jackson/Wellston--EXIT 17 for OH 327/OH 124 East instead of EXIT 114).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: cl94 on September 13, 2016, 06:43:24 PM
23A/B was using the mileage from the county line so it made some sense

And it made for some numerology guffaws (exit 23 for both highways, on US 23) on MTR, back in the day.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This is supposed to be finished prior to C-bus 3 Meet.

Buck87

Nice.

Any idea how far they are on the braided ramps from 23 to 315 and 270?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on June 28, 2017, 09:25:42 AM
Nice.

Any idea how far they are on the braided ramps from 23 to 315 and 270?
About 3/4 finished.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You'd think ODOT would would know how our state looks like.

BTW, more ramps in the I-270/Oh 315/US 23 project are now opened.

jecht

Thanks for the info!

Question: Are the ramps that feed into 315 and 270 on the right side (north) of 270 (from 23) going to still have that short half-ramp onto 270 west, or is that temporary? I've yet to find anything ODOT-related about this and their site is never updated. You'd think they'd update it more.

Even at rush hour the megafix still hasn't alleviated too much because 71 backfills all the traffic back to 315. Expensive project for not much gain.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 29, 2017, 11:14:12 PM
You'd think ODOT would would know how our state looks like.

BTW, more ramps in the I-270/Oh 315/US 23 project are now opened.

Buck87

Quote from: jecht on October 09, 2017, 09:40:35 PM
Question: Are the ramps that feed into 315 and 270 on the right side (north) of 270 (from 23) going to still have that short half-ramp onto 270 west, or is that temporary? I've yet to find anything ODOT-related about this and their site is never updated. You'd think they'd update it more.

Here's what it's supposed to look like when done

jecht

Quote from: Buck87 on October 09, 2017, 09:54:07 PM

Thank you! For some reason when I went to the Mega Fix website a few weeks ago they had a few pics up of 315/270 but not the feeder ramps!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

jecht

Quote from: jecht on October 09, 2017, 09:56:45 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on October 09, 2017, 09:54:07 PM

Thank you! For some reason when I went to the Mega Fix website a few weeks ago they had a few pics up of 315/270 but not the feeder ramps!

What does the flyover ramp supposed to look like?  Currently it's a loop from 315 N to 270 W.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jecht on November 16, 2017, 06:58:04 PM
What does the flyover ramp supposed to look like?  Currently it's a loop from 315 N to 270 W.
This is what was originally intended for 315-270. This map dates back to 2004.
nbelt3 by Sandor Gulyas, on Flickr

vtk

As far as I'm aware, that NB to WB flyover will still be an optional additional project for the future.

jecht

Quote from: vtk on November 20, 2017, 04:36:20 AM
As far as I'm aware, that NB to WB flyover will still be an optional additional project for the future.

Thanks to you and Hot Rod Hoot. Two last things:

Also, with the new ramps put in, they will remove the slip ramp. Do they just jackhammer the road that was there? (short ramp from the loop at 270/315 onto WB 270)? Or do they put grass over it?

On the West Side Mega Fix (additional lanes) ODOT told me that they would be ready Fall '18--but they already have some basic pavement down. Even allowing for winter freeze delays and frost, shouldn't it be done by spring '18?
Josh

6a

Quote from: jecht on November 21, 2017, 08:48:38 PM

On the West Side Mega Fix (additional lanes) ODOT told me that they would be ready Fall '18--but they already have some basic pavement down. Even allowing for winter freeze delays and frost, shouldn't it be done by spring '18?
Josh
There is quite a bit of bridge widening that needs to be done further south; I'm not sure any work has even started on that bit yet. In addition, it's entirely possible the parts of new pavement are to allow traffic to shift towards the middle to start work on rebuilding the outer lanes.

Buck87

Drove the US 23 S to 315 ramp for the first time on Monday, very nice to see it finally done.

Buck87

Today I noticed they still have the sign on US 23 South leading up to the I-270 exit that reads:

Ohio St Univ
Exit 270 West
To 315 South

That needs to be updated, because now you exit to 315 directly from 23, and if you do get on 270 west you won't be able to get on 315.

Also, I would have expected there to be BGS's to explain the new 270 vs. 315 options from southbound 23, but all they have put up is a series of these:

VS988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.