News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What video program are you binging/did you most recently binge watch?

Started by skluth, May 27, 2022, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

I'm just curious because I don't do Netflix or Hulu. I did once have Netflix but left when the original programming devolved to Tiger King and haven't missed it. If I want a movie, I have HBO, Starz, and TCM from my cable. I also subscribe to PBS Passport and Curiosity Stream because I mostly watch documentaries. A friend gave me access to his Disney sub which I used last when the Get Back documentary came out.

Anyway, right now I'm streaming a series called Great Film Composers on Curiosity Stream. It's basically a history of music scores in film starting from the old silent movies to present day. I'm currently in the early 60's. Psycho. The Pink Panther. Zorba the Greek.  Great stuff.

Takumi

Over the winter I binged Frasier, and not long afterward I started on Cheers. I've been busy with lots of other tasks, but I've made it about halfway through season 2. I've seen some debate as to whether Frasier would fly today, but Cheers definitely wouldn't, outside of Diane's ambitions.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

I've only watched about 10 episodes or so, but the most recent thing I've watched more than one episode of was Servant of the People starring Volodymyr Zelensky. Probably not for everyone, though; it's only available subtitled, and some of the jokes are puns (Putin being said to wear a watch of a brand name that sounds a lot like the Ukrainian word for "dickhead") or rely on some degree of familiarity with Ukrainian politics (like Zelensky's character getting a job application from a "well-qualified candidate" that turned out to be Viktor Yanukovich, a Ukrainian president that was run out of the country by protestors in 2014). But I've still gotten some decent chuckles out of it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

We're enjoying Brooklyn 99 on Hulu (shared account, but has no ads so it's relatively pleasant)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NWI_Irish96

The last thing I binged was Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: kurumi on May 27, 2022, 10:45:51 PM
We're enjoying Brooklyn 99 on Hulu (shared account, but has no ads so it's relatively pleasant)
We liked it.  They did have that copaganda issue, which I mostly shrugged at, but I suppose there was a tone deafness to portraying a rule-breaking detective in a comedic light.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

My wife likes home renovation shows, and we recently discovered Farmhouse Facelift.

A brother/sister duo had taken up renovating farmhouses in southern Ontario.  Someone in Hollywood saw some of the photos they'd posted on social media, and he gave them a call.  They thought it was a scam at first, but was a legitimate offer to make a TV show.

Unfortunately, because it's a new show, there's only one season available to stream so far.  Which stinks.

Before that, we had watched The Crown.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I finished King of the Hill recently and am on to American Dad.  I'm not enjoying it nearly as much, but I understand it gets better after the first season, and I always like to begin at the beginning.

And when the clock hits, oh, 4:25, I've been watching Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting.  It's cliche as hell to watch it then, and yet it's so enjoyable.

Max Rockatansky

My wife wanted to watch the first seven episodes of the fourth Strangers Things season yesterday, so we did.

wanderer2575

I haven't tried to do any streaming.  Any shows that I watch are on TV or from DVD.

Just last night we finished watching all eight seasons of Barney Miller on DVD (again).  Before that, we went through all four seasons of The Librarians (Rebecca Romijn, Lindy Booth, Christian Kane, John Harlan Kim, John Larroquette, and Noah Wyle) on DVD.

Lately, I have been DVR recording reruns of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and binge-watching them late at night.

iowahighways

Schitt's Creek, Ted Lasso, The Big Bang Theory, and the British/Irish Mrs. Brown's Boys for me.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

JoePCool14

Seeing as I believe I'm the youngest poster on this thread so far, I'll mention the YouTube channels I've been watching more of lately: Scott The Woz and the Gaming Historian. Both channels focus on video gaming content. Scott The Woz is more comedic in nature while the Gaming Historian is more PBS-style documentary about the making of games and franchises such as Super Mario World and Punch-Out!! Across both of those channels, there's literally dozens of hours of content available, and I end up wasting a lot of time as a result of having a binge-session.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

triplemultiplex

Most recent binge is another swing through Scrubs.
It annoys me that Hulu makes it seem like that show was on ABC, but they only got that bullshit 9th season.  The good years of that show were on NBC. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Life in Paradise

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 31, 2022, 12:31:16 PM
I finished King of the Hill recently and am on to American Dad.  I'm not enjoying it nearly as much, but I understand it gets better after the first season, and I always like to begin at the beginning.

And when the clock hits, oh, 4:25, I've been watching Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting.  It's cliche as hell to watch it then, and yet it's so enjoyable.
Before my elderly dog to the trip to the great fire hydrant in the sky, I would put on the Bob Ross channel for him to watch in the middle of the night.  It seemed to calm him.  Must have been those happy trees.

adventurernumber1

Over the holidays this past December we got Netflix for the first time. Shortly after, my brother and I both binge-watched two series on the platform, Outer Banks and Cobra Kai. Both of these shows are a great watch. I didn't get involved binge-watching another show on Netflix until I was out for the summer (from college), although in the past few weeks I have watched dozens of The Office episodes with my family on regular TV.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

wxfree

I've been watching Twin Peaks.  I didn't watch it when it was new.  I was a little young for such programming.  I saw it years ago when it was on Netflix.  I signed up for Paramount Plus last month and found it on there, so I watched it again.  As chance would have it, P+ offered me a year of Showtime at a discount, and I added it.  I vaguely remember there being a new version, but I had no idea it was on Showtime when I signed up for it.  I'm through the first two episodes of the new version, which I've never seen before.

There was something magical about the first season.  The second season was good, but not at the same level.  The third season seems to be from Bob's point of view.  That's an interesting approach.  Frank Silva, who did an excellent job of looking like a crazy killer, died in 1995, but he shows up at least once in the new series, in reused footage.  At first I didn't like that they turned Dale into a murderer, but that is how the original seemed to end.  The show seems to be about evil spirits, and places where those spirits have access to our world.  Dale's story will teach us something, and may be similar to the Frank Silva character's story before he became Bob (and Leland's story, for that matter).

After I watch all of the episodes, I plan to rewatch the "Psych" episode "Dual Spires."
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kphoger

My wife and I just started, last night, on S1E1 of Burn Notice.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 02, 2022, 12:22:57 PM
It annoys me that Hulu makes it seem like that show was on ABC, but they only got that bullshit 9th season.  The good years of that show were on NBC.
They slap a CBS badge on Frasier, too, and I have no idea why.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 09, 2022, 02:52:00 PM
Whoever owned it last?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 09, 2022, 02:52:00 PM
It was produced by Paramount, which now owns CBS, and the planned revival/sequel series is slotted for Paramount+. But yeah, odd.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MCRoads

Scrubs is on prime video, I watched the first couple seasons when they actually talked about medical stuff. At some point it just becomes a soap opera.

For some reason, most medical dramas end up that way. First 2 seasons of House were great, and then they added a shitton of drama to... keep the audience engaged? Haven't bothered to watch Grey's Anatomy past season 1 because they didn't even bother to make it past the first season without it becoming a soap.
[/rant]
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on June 09, 2022, 04:40:10 PM
Haven't bothered to watch Grey's Anatomy past season 1 because they didn't even bother to make it past the first season without it becoming a soap.
[/rant]

INORITE
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

If you like medical dramas, you should watch the first few seasons of ER.

kphoger

I should clarify that we don't actually watch shows by the typical definition of "binge watching".  That is to say, we don't watch more than one or two episodes of anything at a time.  Rather, we stream-watch one show from beginning to end, but we might watch four episodes in a week or only one episode in a week.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2022, 03:49:52 PM
I should clarify that we don't actually watch shows by the typical definition of "binge watching".  That is to say, we don't watch more than one or two episodes of anything at a time.  Rather, we stream-watch one show from beginning to end, but we might watch four episodes in a week or only one episode in a week.

That would still be binge watching by historical standards, where a 26-episode season would be viewed over the course of nine months or so.

Heh. Remember reruns? Nothing worse than getting all settled in to watch a favorite show, and you realize in the first five minutes that you already saw this episode three months ago.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.