News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Not being allowed to watch 'Sesame Street'

Started by bandit957, June 29, 2022, 06:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on July 06, 2022, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 06, 2022, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 06, 2022, 08:03:14 PM
And everything is now PC and seems to be the new education processes.

It's PBS; do you really think they can afford Apple products?
Everything is now PC...It's like the show evolved along with child development science to help kids better cope with difference.  Imagine that.

No shit. Nobody can compete with the economy of scale that the 386 architecture began to provide in the mid-1980s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thenetwork on July 06, 2022, 08:03:14 PM
I'm gonna chime in here...

My wife and I were not able to have kids.  But if we did, I would sit them down for any and all Sesame Street PRIOR to 1985, which is still about 16 years worth of episodes.  Why?  Because it's pretty much everything modern day Sesame Street has turned away from.

Old School Sesame Street, as it is commonly known now, was. All the old skits, animated cartoons, and boomer generation diversit that was written for both children and same stuff only adults would get. 

Snuffleupagus was imaginary to everyone except Big Bird, Roosevelt Franklin was a cool dude in school, there were muppet skits based no less than 3 Beatles songs -- all of which were eliminated by 1985.  It. Was a great balance of animation, musical sing-a-longs, living characters, outdoor segments, and Muppet skits that The Muppet Show later capitalized on.

Once you got into the 90s, 30 minutes of each show was Elmos World. Many of the 3-D Muppets are now animated or digitized.  And everything is now PC and seems to be the new education processes.

Yet I grew up on old school Sesame Street and METAL playground equipment and did just fine in the adult world <NARF...Twitch...Twitch..>  I think they have dumbed down the show instead of challenging young minds.

But that's just my 2 cents...

I like what you said here.  I grew up with those same era of shows being the ones that were the current shows (meaning the pre 1985 era I was watching as they aired for the first time).  In many ways, everything you described is the way I still think Sesame Street is, because I am "caught" in that time warp.

At the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, I will say I agree with what you said.  My brother is 10 years younger than me so I got to dabble in kids shows past my kid life, so I do know what you are talking about when you reference the 90's Elmo phenomenon, and of course everything since then when they try to force every agenda down the kids throat.  I don't know why there has to be so many PC issues thrown down a kid's throat.  I don't understand why any adult issue needs to be addressed.  They are kids.  They will have two reactions to it.  They either don't understand and it falls flat, or they understand and they don't care.  Remember, children see the world very black and white.  It is or it isn't with them.  There are really no grey areas to a child.  It's right or it's wrong, or the answer is yes or no.  It's adults that introduce the grey areas in their adult lives, and mostly try to manipulate the grey area so it can fit around whatever they are doing so they can justify doing it.  A child, frankly, doesn't have that developed a thought process to be that manipulative, nor have they reached a mature enough age to act on it. 

This to say, yes, the old episodes dealt with letters, numbers, objects.   This is how you spell, this is how you count and these are some repetitive shapes.  This is what you do to be a good person.  If you are a bad person there is a price to pay. 

Like other lessons that were taught before:  To your playground example, we had solid steel playgrounds with lead paint that were 257 degrees in the Texas summer sun, and when you fell off, there were lots of rocks to catch you.  Its funny, but I honestly think there was a life lesson that I learned with it.    The world is not cruel or nice.  The world is indifferent.  It doesn't care if you succeed or fail.  There are no prizes for just showing up.  There is no entitlement.  No one gets praise for just being born.  You are another person like all the other people.  This isn't saying you aren't unique in your own special way, but an indifferent world doesn't care.  You fall off the monkey bars, it will hurt just like it will hurt for every child.  No one is immune.  You want to not get hurt?  Learn how to do the monkey bars without falling off.  Don't wait around for the playscape to build a fall free harness and soft padding where the rocks used to be.  It's funny I know for me to say these things, but the older I get, the more I look back on my childhood, particularly the stuff that was outlawed later (in favor of safer things), and think I did learn a lesson or two from them.  I am not saying I am not grateful for more safety in today's buildings and playgrounds, but I do think stuff like that has allowed an entire generation to skip many tough lessons and is part of the reason so many people have a sense of entitlement.  They never fell off the monkey bars in front of everybody and got humbled and bloody.  Maybe the better example is, they never got punched in the face. 

I am not going to say life was better when I was a kid.  It wasn't.  Instead of cyber bullying, you had face to face bullying which was far worse and painful.  You had less TV to watch, less information and less to no accessibility to things you did see on TV.  I always use the example of watching baseball as a kid and seeing the players with flip shades and eye black, which I thought was so cool.  I just had to watch it, I couldn't do it because my local sporting good store didn't carry either product.  When I was a kid, that was the end of the line.  If the local retailer didn't have it, you weren't getting it.  I know there were catalogs, but my parents didn't get them.  What I learned from it?  I wasn't entitled to anything I could think up in my head.  I then thought I had to work hard to make it to the majors so I could have flip shades and eye black.  It's corny I know, but that's what it taught me.  If I missed my favorite TV shows newest episode, I just missed it.  There was no recording it, or later playing it because it's streaming.  The current world has a lot of great new gadgets, but it has also made so many people impatient and the PC angle has taught everyone they need a parade just for showing up. 

Now, I am not saying this applies to all of my generation.  I might have gotten lessons out of things that weren't supposed to teach me anything, and brought home the lessons the things that were supposed to teach me something. I also was famous for learning the wrong lesson when my parents would punish me. 

I am one of the very few people that the D.A.R.E. program worked for (although I think the backlash from D.A.R.E. now stems from a bunch of people who got hooked on drugs and needed a scape goat to justify why they did it in the first place..."I didn't know anything about those drugs until D.A.R.E. told me what they were")

Henry

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 06, 2022, 01:13:32 PM
The opposite happened for me.  My mom was sad the day my sister and I stopped watching Sesame Street, because we said we were too old to watch it.

I also loved game shows when I was young and when I was an older kid during summer break.  If I wasn't playing baseball, I was inside watching, The Price is Right, 10,000 Dollar Pyrimid and Press Your Luck.  So many sound effects from those games bring back happy memories to this day when I hear them.  After that, that would usually segue into a Cubs day game on WGN.  My day was perfectly timed!!
I totally forgot about that one! Watching the Cubs on WGN was a very fun experience for me too, even when they were losing.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Henry on July 07, 2022, 01:42:55 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 06, 2022, 01:13:32 PM
The opposite happened for me.  My mom was sad the day my sister and I stopped watching Sesame Street, because we said we were too old to watch it.

I also loved game shows when I was young and when I was an older kid during summer break.  If I wasn't playing baseball, I was inside watching, The Price is Right, 10,000 Dollar Pyrimid and Press Your Luck.  So many sound effects from those games bring back happy memories to this day when I hear them.  After that, that would usually segue into a Cubs day game on WGN.  My day was perfectly timed!!
I totally forgot about that one! Watching the Cubs on WGN was a very fun experience for me too, especially when they were losing.

FTFY because they did it so frequently I really didn't know what winning was.

Scott5114

If this thread is going to be a bitchfest where we whine about "agendas", thread's done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.