News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadWarrior56

My firm was a subconsultant to the study that was done for the new I-69 bridge.  As I recall the two primary reasons not to use there existing bridge were cost and traffic.  One of the alternatives evaluated is what was described above.  The section of US 41 between the bridge and  US 60 is extremely densly developed and would cost a fortune to convert into a freeway, even with frontage roads on the outside.  The RW impacts would be huge.

The other issue is traffic.  The existing twin spans are already heavily traveled.  Adding I-69 traffic to them would overload them.  They could use an extra bridge even now.  As somebody who had either lived in Evansville or had one or  both parents living them since 1967 when I was age 10, I can testify to the superiority of a new alignment alternative.

tdindy88

Okay, just asking. I figured the current alignment wouldn't work, I just wanted to know if that was the correct assessment or not.

ShawnP

Having lived in Bowling Green and traveled to the St. Louis area alot. That US-41 was a nightmare slowdown and I-164 was a great thing (went that even with the extra miles involved) to avoid those dang lights in Evansville. Henderson has boomed and their side with lights is now just as bad.

Grzrd

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 20, 2012, 06:50:01 AM
So it looks like that for now, the I-69 designation was done "on the cheap", with only a half-hearted effort to redesignate the roadway in the field.
I suppose at some point the rest of the signage will be updated.

This article indicates that more permanent I-69 signage is now being installed:

... a contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has started installing permanent I-69 signs along the route, beginning with the pouring of concrete anchors for the new signs.
The contractor, Westate Construction Inc. of Hopkinsville, is starting at the WK Parkway (WKP) interchange with the Pennyrile Parkway near Madisonville and will be moving westward. Minimal traffic disruptions are expected.
New signs will also be placed along 16 miles of the existing I-24 near Eddyville that will double as a portion of I-69 ....
Plans call for the Pennyrile Parkway to be eventually designated as I-69 from Madisonville to Henderson. However, the state's I-69 coordinator, Ted Merryman, said last fall that he doesn't expect that the Federal Highway Administration will permit interstate signs to go up along the Pennyrile until improvements – including rebuilding the Sebree/Kentucky 56 interchange and completing the Robards/Kentucky 416 interchange – are actually completed sometime in the future ....

hbelkins

Quote from: Grzrd on March 06, 2012, 09:30:12 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 20, 2012, 06:50:01 AM
So it looks like that for now, the I-69 designation was done "on the cheap", with only a half-hearted effort to redesignate the roadway in the field.
I suppose at some point the rest of the signage will be updated.

... a contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has started installing permanent I-69 signs along the route, beginning with the pouring of concrete anchors for the new signs.
The contractor, Westate Construction Inc. of Hopkinsville, is starting at the WK Parkway (WKP) interchange with the Pennyrile Parkway near Madisonville and will be moving westward. Minimal traffic disruptions are expected.
New signs will also be placed along 16 miles of the existing I-24 near Eddyville that will double as a portion of I-69 ....
Plans call for the Pennyrile Parkway to be eventually designated as I-69 from Madisonville to Henderson. However, the state's I-69 coordinator, Ted Merryman, said last fall that he doesn't expect that the Federal Highway Administration will permit interstate signs to go up along the Pennyrile until improvements – including rebuilding the Sebree/Kentucky 56 interchange and completing the Robards/Kentucky 416 interchange – are actually completed sometime in the future ....

I don't understand why the substandard WK was allowed to be designated but the substandard Pennyrile wasn't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

My guess is the cloverleaf between the two parkways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

codyg1985

^^ My guess is Exits 44 and 45 on the Pennyrile and how close they are to each other.  The cloverleaf may have something to do with it too, though.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

RoadWarrior56

From what I have read, the reason the WK parkway segment was designated I-69 first is because the is a project to be constructed this year that will eliminate certain substandard features of the roadway.  That was part of the agreement with the Feds that allowed the designation.

Grzrd

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 07, 2012, 12:09:33 PM
From what I have read, the reason the WK parkway segment was designated I-69 first is because the is a project to be constructed this year that will eliminate certain substandard features of the roadway.  That was part of the agreement with the Feds that allowed the designation.

The construction work mentioned above is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 9:

Motorists traveling toward Lake Barkley along Interstate 69/Western Kentucky Parkway will see more evidence of work to upgrade the roadway to federal interstate standards, according to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
A contractor will restrict traffic to one lane at two locations in Caldwell County starting Monday.
Traffic will be restricted to one lane in both directions between the 4- and 7-mile markers in Caldwell County to allow drainage work in the median. All traffic will be moved to the right-hand or driving lane in this work zone.
Also, westbound traffic will move to the left-hand passing lane between the 10- and 9-mile markers to allow drainage work along the right of way.
Work at these sites is expected to take just more than a week, weather permitting, according to the cabinet.
These projects are in addition to the installation of new I-69 signs that began earlier this year.These work zones are among several that will be required through the summer construction season as part of a $9.9 million project to bring the section of former parkway up to interstate standards. Other improvements will include lengthening on/off ramps and raising bridges to meet clearance requirements.
The Federal Highway Administration authorized the state to redesignate the portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway as I-69 between the Pennyrile Parkway interchange and I-24 near Eddyville provided it undertakes a series of roadway improvements ....

Grzrd

This article indicates that the installation of I-69 signage is proceeding on schedule and that, as part of the upgrade to interstate standard, the project involving the teardown of the current KY 2619 bridge and construction of a new KY 2619 bridge will begin on May 14:

A contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet plans to close KY 2619/White School Road in Caldwell County at the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway overpass starting Monday, May 14.
This closure at mile point zero is to facilitate removal of the existing overpass and construction of a new bridge at the site. The road will be closed between Board Road and KY 2612. This work will include some lane restrictions and shifts for traffic on Interstate 69/The Western Kentucky Parkway as the work progresses. Motorists should be alert for this work zone at mile point 20 on I-69/The Western Kentucky Parkway. This is part of ongoing work along Interstate 69/The Western Kentucky Parkway between Eddyville and the Pennyrile Parkway Interchange required to meet Interstate highway standards ....
Additionally, motorists are advised to be alert for sign crews working at various locations along this route.
These work zones are among several that will be required through the summer construction season as part of a $9.9 million project to bring this section of former Western Kentucky Parkway up to federal standards for interstate.

Slow but steady progress ...

Grzrd

I just noticed that KYTC has posted the I-69 Strategic Planning Corridor Study For Purchase Parkway and Interstate 24 (December 2011).  Part of the Summary and Conclusion is as follows (pages 9-6 to 9-7 of document; pages 117-118/402 of pdf):

Based on the findings of this study, it can generally be concluded that the Purchase Parkway is currently providing motorists efficient and safe travel from US 51 in Tennessee to I-24 with operating conditions similar to an interstate. There would be minimal to no impact to the operating characteristics of the Purchase Parkway in the near future if it was designated as I-69 under the current conditions. The operation characteristics of the I-69 corridor would not be expected to be altered until more sections of I-69 are completed across the country especially in Tennessee and Indiana .... Intuitively, there may be sections of interstate in Kentucky and around the United States that do not meet the current design standards. Some design features on these other interstates may be very similar to the existing design features on the Purchase Parkway. Based on the impact to other sections of Parkways that are designated as future interstate corridors and existing interstates with similar design feature deficiencies, designation of the Purchase Parkway as I-69 under the Parkway's existing conditions appears realistic .... The Necessary Upgrades and Spot Safety Improvement alternative includes upgrading the Purchase Parkway to meet all current interstate standards but with design exceptions/variances .... In general, improvements related to bridge deficiencies, Mayfield Bypass median, interchange acceleration and deceleration lanes, and toll plaza interchange improvements are recommended. It is also recommended that initially, minimal improvements should be made to the Purchase Parkway and I-24 interchange and US 45 interchange in Mayfield ...

It looks like the strategy is to steadily implement improvements as increased traffic warrants.

Grzrd

I suspect that, in this article, a reporter slightly misreported comments from a KYTC representative about construction costs for I-69. I think the KYTC rep probably said that the cost of completing the parkways to interstate grade (excluding the Ohio River bridge and new terrain construction near Henderson) is $400 million;

In Kentucky, there are three segments of I-69 that extend through the western end of the state, according to Jim LeFevre of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
"We've got really good news from Kentucky,"  LeFevre told the more than 40 officials from across the region who turned out for Wednesday's meeting. "What's happening in Kentucky is good news."
He went on to say the parkway system through West Kentucky has officially been designated as the I-69 corridor through the state.
LeFevre said there are about $150 million in road projects, connected to I-69, planned in West Kentucky.
"We think we're making progress,"  he said at the meeting.
Two other key updates were presented by LeFevre – the Kentucky Legislature recently approved a six-year highway plan and he said the cost to upgrade six bridges along the I-69 route through West Kentucky is estimated at $400 million.
(bold emphasis supplied by me)

They reported; you decide ...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 07, 2012, 09:51:24 PM
Motorists traveling toward Lake Barkley along Interstate 69/Western Kentucky Parkway will see more evidence of work to upgrade the roadway to federal interstate standards, according to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet .... These work zones are among several that will be required through the summer construction season as part of a $9.9 million project to bring the section of former parkway up to interstate standards. Other improvements will include lengthening on/off ramps and raising bridges to meet clearance requirements.
The Federal Highway Administration authorized the state to redesignate the portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway as I-69 between the Pennyrile Parkway interchange and I-24 near Eddyville provided it undertakes a series of roadway improvements ....

This article indicates that an exit ramp on the I-69 Western Kentucky Parkway/I-24 interchange is being lengthened and widened:

A contractor for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet plans has restricted traffic to one lane on Interstate 24 westbound at the I-69/Western Kentucky Parkway Interchange in Lyon County.
This work zone is to allow the southbound/westbound exit ramp from I-69/WK Pkwy to westbound Interstate 24 to be lengthened and widened.
All westbound I-24 traffic will move to the left-hand lane as they approach the Exit 42 Interchange. This work zone includes restrictions for southbound/westbound traffic on the I-69/WK Pkwy Exit ramp to I-24 westbound ....

kharvey10

KY hasn't even bothered signing I-69 on that sixteen mile section of I-24, in fact there is not a single reference at the interchange with WKY Parkway.  The locals don't bother referring it as I-69 anyway, and they will still treat the WKY Parkway portion as eastbound/westbound 69 even if they did.

Grzrd

This July 9 report indicates that many new laws will go into effect in Kentucky this week, including one that will authorize KYTC to increase the I-69 speed limit to 70:

A lengthy list of new laws will go into effect this week .... Governor Steve Beshear signed about 150 bills into law earlier this year including ....  Speed limits. HB 439 will allow the Transportation Cabinet to increase the speed limit on I-69 in Western Kentucky to 70 miles per hour.

Also, Kentucky's gas tax increased on July 1, but the math regarding it in the report is open to question:

On July 1st, the state's gas tax increased 2.1 cents per gallon, meaning motorist will be paying nearly 30 more cents for each gallon they purchase.
:hmm:

hbelkins

Quote from: Grzrd on July 09, 2012, 08:23:04 AM
This July 9 report indicates that many new laws will go into effect in Kentucky this week, including one that will authorize KYTC to increase the I-69 speed limit to 70:

A lengthy list of new laws will go into effect this week .... Governor Steve Beshear signed about 150 bills into law earlier this year including ....  Speed limits. HB 439 will allow the Transportation Cabinet to increase the speed limit on I-69 in Western Kentucky to 70 miles per hour.

I don't understand this. The speed limit on the WK Parkway was already 70, as well as the Pennyrile portion that will become I-69 later on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on July 09, 2012, 11:48:22 AM
I don't understand this. The speed limit on the WK Parkway was already 70, as well as the Pennyrile portion that will become I-69 later on.

HB 439 adds I-69 to the list of highways that can be signed as 70:

HB 439
AN ACT relating to speed limits on interstate highways. Amend KRS 189.390 to add the entire length of Interstate 69 to the list of roads where the Secretary of the Transportation Cabinet can increase the speed limit to 70 miles per hour.

KRS 189.390 already includes the Western Kentucky and Pennyrile Parkways:

... the secretary may increase the speed limit on any of the following segments of highway to seventy (70) miles per hour:
1. Interstate 24 (entire length);
2. Interstate 64 from Interstate 264 to the West Virginia state line;
3. Interstate 65 from Interstate 264 to the Tennessee state line;
4. Interstate 71 from Interstate 264 to Interstate 275;
5. Interstate 75 from the Tennessee state line to Interstate 275;
6. The Audubon Parkway (entire length);
7. The Julian M. Carroll Purchase Parkway (entire length);
8. The Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway from Interstate 64 to the beginning of the Mountain Parkway Extension (KY 9009) in Wolfe County;
9. The Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway (entire length);
10. The Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway (entire length)
;
11. The Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway (entire length);
12. The Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway (entire length); and
13. The William H. Natcher Parkway (entire length).

I'm guessing that, either the Legislature was being thorough enough to include future new terrain segments of I-69, or the Western Kentucky Parkway was truncated when I-69 received its designation, which created the need for the addition of I-69.

EDIT

I'm guessing that the Western Kentucky Parkway was truncated, which created the need to include I-69 as a 70 mph zone:

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2011, 10:34:59 PM
Don't know if the signs have the state name on them or not, but I have heard that the sign assemblies will be "I-69, Formerly WK Parkway" so it appears as if the WK Parkway will be truncated to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange.

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on July 09, 2012, 12:54:38 PM

I'm guessing that the Western Kentucky Parkway was truncated, which created the need to include I-69 as a 70 mph zone:

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2011, 10:34:59 PM
Don't know if the signs have the state name on them or not, but I have heard that the sign assemblies will be "I-69, Formerly WK Parkway" so it appears as if the WK Parkway will be truncated to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange.
A few signs say "Formerly," but a majority of signs have yet to be changed over, including I-24 advance signs in either direction. It's coming, though.

mukade

The development of an Interstate-69 corridor in western Kentucky took another step forward Friday with the opening of an extended and widened ramp connecting I-69 southbound lanes to I-24 westbound lanes in Lyon County...

Construction of I-69 Ramp to I-24 Completed (West Kentucky Star)

Henry

So we could have a direct Interstate connection from Memphis to Indianapolis sooner than we think? Good for them!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

That's on the part that's already designated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

codyg1985

Quote from: Henry on September 08, 2012, 12:18:08 PM
So we could have a direct Interstate connection from Memphis to Indianapolis sooner than we think? Good for them!

That pesky Ohio River bridge may hold that back, as well as the lack of progress in TN.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

This brief article is primarily about upcoming ramp work at the Exit 12/ KY 91 interchange, but it also briefly mentions that the I-69 signage project is still ongoing:

Sign crews are continuing to work at various locations along this section of I-69/The WK Parkway between Interstate 24 at Eddyville and the Breathitt-Pennyrile Parkway near Madisonville.

Does anyone have any recent field reports and/or photos regarding the I-69 signage?

Henry

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 11, 2012, 07:53:18 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 08, 2012, 12:18:08 PM

That pesky Ohio River bridge may hold that back, as well as the lack of progress in TN.
Not to mention the lack of progress further south, with the exception of TX.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2012, 08:59:57 PM
o       Our priority in that region is I-69 and will be for some time.
o       55 miles of I-69 already sport the red, white and blue interstate shield signs.
o       Just this past Friday, we opened bids for the project to rebuild the Dawson Springs interchange to interstate standards. (Have not yet awarded contract.)
(above quote from I-67: TN, KY, IN thread)

This article reports that KYTC has awarded the contract for the KY 109/ Dawson Springs interchange upgrade:

... the state also awarded a nearly $5.1 million contract to Road Builders LLC of Greenville to upgrade the interchange of Interstate 69/Western Kentucky Parkway and Kentucky 109 near Dawson Springs in Hopkins County to interstate standards.
The project is one of several to bring the WK Parkway up to interstate standards between Eddyville and the Pennyrile Parkway since it was officially designated as part of I-69 a year ago. Similar work is planned along the Pennyrile from the WK Parkway to Henderson so that leg can become part of I-69 as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.