News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mukade on December 15, 2012, 06:34:49 AM

One thing I noticed on the incorrectly marked I-69 sections in Google Maps for Kentucky, they have a few miles near Henderson marked that will never be I-69. I am not exactly sure where the proposed new eastern I-69 bypass will be, but I thought it was before the Audubon Pkwy and near the Henderson southern bypass.

I guess Google maps anticipated a possible future "Business Route I-69" minus the green sign. ;) 

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 14, 2012, 11:12:20 PM
HB, is there a list of what the former "Western Kentucky Parkway" exit numbers will change to so they work with I-69's mileage?

I think there was a link in one of those press releases to the official Kentucky route log. Failing that, the photo galleries show both the old and new exit numbers for the KY 109 interchange, so that could be used as a guide.

Quote from: amroad17 on December 15, 2012, 03:48:04 AM
Will the exit numbers on the WK change east of the Pennyrile?

According to the press release, no.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 15, 2012, 07:57:41 AM
Quote from: mukade on December 15, 2012, 06:34:49 AM

One thing I noticed on the incorrectly marked I-69 sections in Google Maps for Kentucky, they have a few miles near Henderson marked that will never be I-69. I am not exactly sure where the proposed new eastern I-69 bypass will be, but I thought it was before the Audubon Pkwy and near the Henderson southern bypass.

I guess Google maps anticipated a possible future "Business Route I-69" minus the green sign. ;) 
Someone probably just jumped the gun without realizing that a bypass will be built.  With most people, the more they think they know, the less they actually know, and it's especially true for the people who edit Google Maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

The 2012 KYTC state map shows the new exit numbers (but of course not the details of what has which suffix, if any, at each end): http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Official-Highway-Map.aspx
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2012, 12:53:56 PM
The 2012 KYTC state map shows the new exit numbers (but of course not the details of what has which suffix, if any, at each end): http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Official-Highway-Map.aspx

Thanks for posting that NE2.

codyg1985

I drove the Audubon Pkwy on Sunday between Henderson and Owensboro and I noticed "Future I-69 Spur" signs along it in either direction. The one sign that was facing me was bent, so I didn't get to capture a picture of it.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned in this thread or not.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Last time I drove the Audubon it was raining so my pictures turned out crappy. Such is life.

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2011, 01:28:34 AM
"Tollbooth style" = four loop ramps such as what would be found in a cloverleaf. The way they worked is that you moved to the right lane to pay the toll at a booth either under the bridge (or in the case of the KY 11 exit on the Mountain Parkway, on the bridge) and then exited. Incoming traffic looped around, yielded to traffic already on the parkway, paid the toll, then entered. You always told the attendant "getting on" or "getting off" so they'd know how much toll to charge you. You could also go through in those lanes because sometimes those lanes were the only two that were staffed if you needed change.

This article reports that another former toll cloverleaf, near Dawson Springs, will be converted to a diamond:

Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear helped ceremonially break ground for a new interchange on Interstate 69 near his hometown of Dawson Springs in Hopkins County.
A 38-mile stretch of the Western Kentucky Parkway was designated as part of I-69 from Eddyville to near Madisonville last year. The state entered into an agreement with the Federal Highway Administration to bring that stretch of parkway up to interstate standards, including converting the Dawson Springs/Kentucky 109 interchange from a cloverleaf to a diamond.
The cloverleaf, designed to accommodate a toll plaza when the parkway was opened in 1963, was typical of interchanges on Kentucky's parkways, all of which began as toll roads. But interstate standards require an interchange with longer ramps
The state eventually hopes to redesignate the portion of the Pennyrile Parkway from near Madisonville to Henderson as I-69 as well. However, it's expected that the FHWA will require that it first be brought up to interstate standards.
That work will include completing the Robards/Kentucky 416 interchange in Henderson County and rebuilding the Sebree/Kentucky 56 interchange in Webster County, among other improvements.
Construction work on the Robards interchange was scheduled in the state's 2012 Highway Plan to take place during the 2012-2013 fiscal year, while the rebuilding of the Sebree interchange is projected to take place in 2016.

edit

This TV video report has some footage of the current KY 109 interchange.

seicer

Said interchange: http://goo.gl/maps/TbrYS

Speaking of, I wish the remainder would be converted, like the Audubon Parkway and KY 416 interchange: http://goo.gl/maps/WIVzb. Work has been ongoing to replace the original 1970 concrete, which was in good condition sans the part at the toll booth, but the interchange with its funky cloverleaf was rebuilt with new concrete - not rebuilt into a new interchange.

Even more odd, is the use of concrete. Kentucky's other rebuilds throughout the state have been in asphalt unless it was in an urbanized area - like around Cincinnati and Louisville.

aae991

I'll be traveling through I-69 in Kentucky this weekend with my RV, from Evansville to I-24 (total route from Chicago to Orlando).  How is the condition of the road in terms of ruts, bumps, and pot holes?  Normally I take I-65 southbound through Indiana, but it's in terrible condition.  This year I'm doing the U.S. 41, Ind. 63, I-69 route towards I-24 and Nashville.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

hbelkins

Quote from: aae991 on December 20, 2012, 09:28:55 PM
I'll be traveling through I-69 in Kentucky this weekend with my RV, from Evansville to I-24 (total route from Chicago to Orlando).  How is the condition of the road in terms of ruts, bumps, and pot holes?  Normally I take I-65 southbound through Indiana, but it's in terrible condition.  This year I'm doing the U.S. 41, Ind. 63, I-69 route towards I-24 and Nashville.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Shouldn't be too bad. You are going to stay on the Pennyrile Parkway all the way south to Hopkinsville, right?

Alps

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart
The Parkways making up 69 are in fine conditions last I drove them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on December 20, 2012, 10:53:36 PM

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart
The Parkways making up 69 are in fine conditions last I drove them.

I drove the opposite direction of what he's going (north on 69) last month and the roads were fine, but it would be illogical for him to take the WK west to I-24 east, instead of shooting straight down the Pennyrile to I-24.

aae991

Yes, I'm going straight through to Hopkinsville and then I-24.  Thanks for the road reports.  I'm very glad I discovered this forum.  There are lots of very helpful people here.  It reminds me of the irv2.com forum for RVing... People helping people instead of arguing that's so common in other forums.

Thanks again.

hbelkins

Quote from: aae991 on December 21, 2012, 12:07:23 AMPeople helping people instead of arguing that's so common in other forums.

You're obviously new...  :-D

Depending on time of day, you may run into some delays when you cross the Ohio River into Henderson, Ky. There's about at two-mile stretch of US 41 that jams up sometimes, and any lane closures on the bridges can compound things. One unusual thing you may notice is that you will have already crossed into Kentucky before you get to the Ohio River, and the US 41 bridges are entirely in the Bluegrass State.

You will have a chance to see some new I-69 signage on the Pennyrile southbound approaching the Western Kentucky Parkway. The posts were up, but the signs were not yet erected, when I was on the Pennyrile last month.

The last seven miles of the Pennyrile are newly-constructed, as the route previously ended at Alternate US 41.

I had heard of some concrete pavement repairs in various places on I-24, but I can't remember the location but I would guess the lane restrictions will be lifted for the holidays.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2012, 11:51:38 AM

depends on which forum.

also, I think here straightforward questions are answered quickly and efficiently - the arguing is more in places which have room for disagreement.  ("Clearview sucks", "interstate 99 is a silly number", "Alanland is neither fact nor opinion", etc.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

exit322

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 21, 2012, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2012, 11:51:38 AM

depends on which forum.

also, I think here straightforward questions are answered quickly and efficiently - the arguing is more in places which have room for disagreement.  ("Clearview sucks", "interstate 99 is a silly number", "Alanland is neither fact nor opinion", etc.)

Absolutely true.  I vehemently disagree and agree that Alanland is both fact and opinion.

agentsteel53

Quote from: exit322 on December 21, 2012, 01:18:39 PM

Absolutely true.  I vehemently disagree and agree that Alanland is both fact and opinion.

no, no, hell no, and you've gotta be kidding me ... I mean yes.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Yes, Virginia, there is an Alanland...

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2012, 01:45:51 PM

Yes, Virginia, there is an Alanland...

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2012, 01:40:50 PM
Alanland and Ethanland are mortal enemies ... Alanland has banned the use of "366" as a highway number because of the distaste it holds for Ethanland.
(above quote from Alanland thread)

^ The above map provides a clear representation of the territorial dispute between the mortal enemies.

Alps

Take it to the Alanland thread, guysssss

Traffic

I drove I-24 earlier this week on a trip from St. Louis back to NC.   Signs are posted at Exit 42 saying I-69 North TO W KY Pkwy.  This is the only mention of I-69 along I-24 in KY.  It also seems to indicate that the WKP was truncated with the westernmost part now I-69.  There currently is no indication or signage for a 24/69 overlap even though this is intended west of Exit 42 in the future.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Traffic on December 22, 2012, 09:54:45 PM
There currently is no indication or signage for a 24/69 overlap even though this is intended west of Exit 42 in the future.

Didn't see this then?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=429117097160276&set=a.429116630493656.99094.111931842212138&type=3&permPage=1

Captain Jack

Thanks for the pics, but I am wondering why KY is still using Elizabethtown as the control city? I-69 doesn't get within a 100 miles of E-town.

Seems if KY is serious about this being I-69 now instead of the WK, then they would have Evansville or at least Henderson or Madisonville as the control city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.