News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 12:39:04 PM
More news on I-40, new interchange is opening in Johnston County just south of the (soon to be former) NC 42 exit:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-04-19-new-1-40-interchange-johnston.aspx
Southeast / Re: I-55 Bridge in Memphis
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 12:34:46 PM
Good deal! I watched the video and there are renderings in it. Your wording did confuse me a bit about the number of travel lanes added. It looks the bridge will have 3 lanes each way with two being GP lanes and one being an auxiliary lane. I'm guessing the third auxiliary lane will exit at Crump BLVD.
Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by WillWeaverRVA - Today at 12:21:48 PM
58 Restaurant in Ringgold, VA (closed in 2016)...but with the wrong shield:

There's also the Route 58 Deli in Virginia Beach, which is also permanently closed and also has incorrect shields, but it's Virginia Beach so no one has any idea what the correct shield should be anyway.

Eat 33 in Richmond, VA.
Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 12:12:52 PM
Quote from: kwellada on Today at 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 08:56:47 PMI used to work in the state for several years.  If you are just blasting through on I-40 you are missing out on some really good scenery along the US Routes.

Unless my intention is to take photos of the various remnants of US 66 things, I fully agree that the non freeway routes in NM are far more interesting. But then again, there's very few interstates that I would prefer over a 2 lane highway

In particular for me I used to use US 70, 82, 60 and 380 frequently on work trips.  Even an expressway like US 70 near Ruidoso has a lot to offer in terms of things to catch the eye.
Central States / Re: Kansas
Last post by Sani - Today at 11:56:35 AM
KDOT posted the Public Information Open House for the K-10 Corridor Capacity Improvements Project. The plan will be to add a third lane on K-10, improve several interchanges, and potentially add a new interchange at Lone Elm Road. Some interesting takeaways:

• A study of a potential new interchange at Clare Road just west of K-7 determined it would cause an "unacceptable increase in traffic" on nearby roads in Olathe. I know this proposal was very unpopular with residents to the south of K-10 in Cedar Creek and along West Valley Parkway.
  • At Lone Elm Road, the potential improvements include an overpass, a full modified diamond interchange, a modified diamond interchange that only allows access to the north, and a modified diamond with north access only but a sidewalk connection to the south.
  • At Lexington Avenue in DeSoto, they're looking at either realigning Lexington to the west and constructing a DDI that would connect to 91st Street with a roundabout or building a SPUI where the current folded diamond is. The realignment and DDI would allow reactivation of the railroad spur south of Commerce Drive to the Panasonic battery plant and Astra Enterprise Park, which advertises potential future rail connectivity as part of its appeal.
  • The Evening Star Road interchange would either become a DDI with a realigned 103rd Street to the south or a partial free-flow interchange with direct connections to and from eastbound K-10 from 103rd Street. Construction of a new roundabout at Evening Star and 103rd and on the south leg of the existing interchange is already underway ahead of the opening of the Panasonic plant and nearby logistics facilities.

Interestingly, the Preliminary Implementation Plan shows what appears to be the replacement of the two cloverleaf ramps on the west side of the K-10/K-7 interchange with flyovers to and from K-10, but they did not provide any additional details on what those improvements will look like. It appears to also include completion of the unfunded phase of the Johnson County Gateway project, although the flyover from northbound I-35 to westbound I-435 and the improvements to I-435 north of K-10 are listed as "long term" projects. No proposed schedule is provided.
Mid-South / Re: US 281 Expansion in Blanco...
Last post by splashflash - Today at 11:44:12 AM
Mayor of Blanco On Board with Relief Route

https://www.yahoo.com/news/upcoming-us-281-relief-project-233317319.html

Blanco Mayor Mike Arnold said TxDOT has wanted to build a US 281 relief route for over a decade.

"They've been suggesting this for at least 20 years, that I know. And it's only becoming more critical now because the traffic is increasing continually and shows no signs of stopping," Arnold said. "It'll be mission-critical within 10 years. If we don't have a bypass in the works, it could be catastrophic for our town."

Arnold said he would prefer if TxDOT chose one of the routes that did not bisect the Ernsts' property, and chose an option that goes closer to Blanco.

"We need it close enough to the city of Blanco, so it can control [the road]and benefit from the tax base that will grow along the frontage," he said.

Arnold said that TxDOT will announce its final decision in the summertime. While he's sympathetic to the people who might lose some of their property because of the project, he said someone is likely to be unhappy with the final decision.
Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by kwellada - Today at 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2024, 08:56:47 PMI used to work in the state for several years.  If you are just blasting through on I-40 you are missing out on some really good scenery along the US Routes.

Unless my intention is to take photos of the various remnants of US 66 things, I fully agree that the non freeway routes in NM are far more interesting. But then again, there's very few interstates that I would prefer over a 2 lane highway
Central States / Re: OK Turnpike Speed Limits
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 11:37:45 AM
I saw a news story about the speed limit increase on a local KSWO-TV news broadcast yesterday. I'm surprised the speed limit change took this long, not that I really care. 75mph is fast enough for me. Any higher than that and the gas mileage in my truck starts going to hell. My pickup seems to do best in the 55mph-65mph zone.

I'm not surprised OTA would leave the portion of I-44 from Lawton to the Red River still signed at 75mph. That cheaper cable barrier separating the two directions of traffic has to be an issue. There is a lot of old pavement on that section of turnpike as well. BTW, it's a relief they finally got finished re-building the Walters exit.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by Flint1979 - Today at 11:34:02 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2024, 02:00:16 PMDouble-barreled action on I-75 around mile marker 166.

Is that unusual in Michigan? It's very common here. I can think of at least two median U-turn locations where two cops is as common as just one. I just figure it's a slow day and they're taking the chance to chat with their co-workers.
I've seen it before but usually it seems like there is just one car sitting there whenever they are sitting somewhere. But two isn't really uncommon I don't think.
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by Flint1979 - Today at 11:30:02 AM
I had been on the Nine Mile Road bridge in Hazel Park, Michigan plenty of times before the tanker explosion destroyed the overpass about 15 years ago. Also remember how that one happened, a car going way too fast on I-75 hit a gas tanker making the gas tanker explode.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.