News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 09, 2017, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 09, 2017, 11:30:54 AM
That's interesting news to me because it means they DO query at least the Virginia E-ZPass database before billing you–as noted above, I had added the plate number to our account and simply didn't have the transponder with us. This is good to know that they do that now, as it also eases my mind about a transponder battery going dead.

My guess is that it is pretty easy for them  to query some sort of consolidated database with license plate numbers from all of the states in the E-ZPass Group. In theory at least, this is why they ask for the registration plate number of your car or cars in the first place.

I seem to recall there was at least anecdotal evidence that early on, Transurban didn't query the database and simply sent a bill. If that is the case, I'm glad they changed it. I wonder if the various lawsuits might have factored into it.

Too bad Dr. Gridlock retired. I would have asked him if he knew. He's still on Twitter in his personal capacity and we follow each other, but it doesn't feel appropriate to ask him now. Maybe I'll ask Adam Tuss.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

[Note that the dollar amounts below may be in Australian  dollars, not U.S. dollars, and one U.S. dollar is currently about $1.31 in Australia]

Fredericksburg.com (Free Lance-Star): Toll lanes bringing in the money

QuoteThe toll prices on the express lanes might not be very popular, but those electronically tolled lanes are getting plenty of use.

QuoteTransurban, the Australian-based corporation that owns and operates the lanes, is raking in profits from its 15 toll lane operations across the globe. And the Interstate 95 and 495 express lanes are doing quite well, according to Transurban's first-quarter report.

QuoteTransurban's overall toll revenue for the first quarter checked in at just more than a half-billion dollars ($502 million to be exact).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

One thing I noticed on the trip back north yesterday, the "base" price when the I-95 HOT lanes are empty and the mainline is free flowing seems to have gone up quite a bit since inception. One would think the rate would trend downwards during low traffic to induce at least some extra trips..... because some traffic makes money rather then no traffic at all!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 10, 2017, 09:57:57 PM
One thing I noticed on the trip back north yesterday, the "base" price when the I-95 HOT lanes are empty and the mainline is free flowing seems to have gone up quite a bit since inception. One would think the rate would trend downwards during low traffic to induce at least some extra trips..... because some traffic makes money rather then no traffic at all!

I have noticed that with the I-495 lanes too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

davewiecking

Agreed w/ respect to the 495 ones. Usually when I drive between the northern end and I-66 (either direction), there are maybe 1 or 2 other cars in the lanes (a least as far a I can see up and down the road), so I feel I should pay the lowest rate. And yet the price can vary by 15-20 cents. One car several hundred feet in front of me is not affecting my travel.

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 10, 2017, 09:57:57 PM

I spent $33 recently for a peak period trip on both facilities, I-95 NB and I-495 NB.  I use them about 3 times per year.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Autonomous car tests coming to Express Lanes in Va.

QuoteCutting-edge connected and autonomous cars are set to run through the 95 and 495 Express Lanes for the next three years, including while regular toll-paying drivers and carpoolers are in the lanes.

QuoteVirginia's Commonwealth Transportation Board is set to approve a three-year agreement Wednesday among the Virginia Department of Transportation, the private company that operates the 95 and 495 Express Lanes, and the Federal Highway Administration's Office of Operations Research and Development that would permit new testing to move forward.

QuoteThe focus of these tests is whether caravans of cars or trucks could speed down a highway just inches apart if the vehicles could communicate to each other about the precise speed to travel, and whether those caravans can successfully run in the same lanes as regular traffic.

Jmiles32

Not directly related to the HOT Lanes in NOVA but were definitely influenced by their success/affect
http://www.dailypress.com/news/traffic/dp-va-officials-mulling-hot-lanes-on-i-64-on-the-peninsula-20170718-story.html
To sum it up, basically Virginia's Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne sketched a idea to create a 45-mile network of express lanes along I-64 from Jefferson Avenue in Newport News to the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake. It appears as of now the plan is that from I-564 to I-264 the HOT lanes will be reversible, similar to the ones on I-95 and I-395. North of I-564(Up to Jefferson Avenue) and South of I-264(To Bower's Hill) it appears there will be least one HOT lane in each direction without direct exits, similar to the ones on I-85 northeast of Atlanta. If approved, this new network of HOT Lanes would be timed to open in 2024, around the same time the HRBT expansion wraps up.

Also IMO the existing HOV lanes on I-264 will also eventually be converted into HOT Lanes sometime in the future.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Jmiles32

https://www.arlnow.com/2017/08/09/395-express-lanes-project-breaks-ground/
http://potomaclocal.com/2017/08/08/early-relief-coming-for-e-zpass-lanes-in-stafford/
Not only did the 8 mile I-395 Express Lanes northern extension project break ground, but it also appears that the southbound ramp of the 2 mile I-95 Express Lanes southern extension will opened early in October. As of now, the northbound ramp of the extension is still scheduled to be completed during the summer of 2018, but I suspect that will be opened early as well.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 18, 2017, 11:09:04 PM
Not directly related to the HOT Lanes in NOVA but were definitely influenced by their success/affect
http://www.dailypress.com/news/traffic/dp-va-officials-mulling-hot-lanes-on-i-64-on-the-peninsula-20170718-story.html
To sum it up, basically Virginia's Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne sketched a idea to create a 45-mile network of express lanes along I-64 from Jefferson Avenue in Newport News to the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake. It appears as of now the plan is that from I-564 to I-264 the HOT lanes will be reversible, similar to the ones on I-95 and I-395. North of I-564(Up to Jefferson Avenue) and South of I-264(To Bower's Hill) it appears there will be least one HOT lane in each direction without direct exits, similar to the ones on I-85 northeast of Atlanta. If approved, this new network of HOT Lanes would be timed to open in 2024, around the same time the HRBT expansion wraps up.

What a horrible project!  Spending $3.4 billion to expand the HRBT (actually I-64 from Mallory Street to I-564), would be an incredible and irresponsible waste of funds, given that it would only add one lane each way, and a 6-lane HRBT would be obsolete the day that it was completed.

Where are they going to get $3.4 billion to fund this project?  Having one HOT lane each way wouldn't support more than a small fraction of the of the amount of toll revenue bonds needed.

They could extend I-564 to I-664 for $4 billion and have a whole new 4-lane bridge-tunnel which could exploit the much lower traffic volumes on I-664 in both directions, between Norfolk and Newport News, and between Norfolk and Suffolk.  It would also serve as an uptown crossing of the Elizabeth River and provide more capacity beyond that of the existing two Elizabeth River tunnels.  It would also complete a South Hampton Roads Beltway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on August 09, 2017, 10:33:57 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 18, 2017, 11:09:04 PM

What a horrible project!  Spending $3.4 billion to expand the HRBT (actually I-64 from Mallory Street to I-564), would be an incredible and irresponsible waste of funds, given that it would only add one lane each way, and a 6-lane HRBT would be obsolete the day that it was completed.

Where are they going to get $3.4 billion to fund this project?  Having one HOT lane each way wouldn't support more than a small fraction of the of the amount of toll revenue bonds needed.

They could extend I-564 to I-664 for $4 billion and have a whole new 4-lane bridge-tunnel which could exploit the much lower traffic volumes on I-664 in both directions, between Norfolk and Newport News, and between Norfolk and Suffolk.  It would also serve as an uptown crossing of the Elizabeth River and provide more capacity beyond that of the existing two Elizabeth River tunnels.  It would also complete a South Hampton Roads Beltway.

Definitely agree that spending 3.4 billion just to add one toll lane in each direction may not be the right answer. Kinda reminds me a little of the I-77 toll lane situation near Charlotte NC. IMO I-64 needs to be 8 lanes from I-664 to I-564 with four separate two lane tubes/bridges at the HRBT, basically like the I-95 Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore. Of course also like the Fort McHenry Tunnel, all of the new I-64 HBRT would need be tolled too, since this would likely cost at least double 3.4 billion. And if people don't like paying tolls? Then by all means they're welcome to use I-664 Monitor Merrimac Bridge/Tunnel instead.

Unfortunately I think extending I-564 to I-664 is no longer an option because it would likely require a compensation event to Elizabeth River Crossing Partners for toll revenue losses.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on August 16, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
Quote from: Beltway on August 09, 2017, 10:33:57 PM
Spending $3.4 billion to expand the HRBT (actually I-64 from Mallory Street to I-564), would be an incredible and irresponsible waste of funds, given that it would only add one lane each way, and a 6-lane HRBT would be obsolete the day that it was completed.
Definitely agree that spending 3.4 billion just to add one toll lane in each direction may not be the right answer. Kinda reminds me a little of the I-77 toll lane situation near Charlotte NC. IMO I-64 needs to be 8 lanes from I-664 to I-564 with four separate two lane tubes/bridges at the HRBT, basically like the I-95 Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore. Of course also like the Fort McHenry Tunnel, all of the new I-64 HBRT would need be tolled too, since this would likely cost at least double 3.4 billion. And if people don't like paying tolls? Then by all means they're welcome to use I-664 Monitor Merrimac Bridge/Tunnel instead.

I seriously doubt that any toll on the HRBT could support $3.4 billion in toll revenue bonds.

Eight lanes was evaluated, the problem was the high impacts to the human and natural environment in Hampton and Norfolk from the widened approaches.

Quote from: Jmiles32 on August 16, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
Unfortunately I think extending I-564 to I-664 is no longer an option because it would likely require a compensation event to Elizabeth River Crossing Partners for toll revenue losses.

Possibly, but if it was tolled at the right level there may be no traffic impact to the Elizabeth River tunnels.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: An additional 2 miles of Interstate 95 HOT lanes will open Oct. 31

QuoteThe high-occupancy/toll (HOT) lanes in the Interstate 95 corridor in Northern Virginia will add an additional two miles next week.

QuoteThe expansion in Stafford County is a small step toward bringing the Express Lanes farther south to Fredericksburg. Plans are underway to add an additional 10 miles of HOT lanes by 2022.

QuoteThe new northbound and southbound ramps will open to traffic ahead of schedule on Oct. 31, Virginia transportation officials said. The $50 million project adds entrance and exit ramps south of Exit 143 at Garrisonville Road. About 146,000 vehicles travel on I-95 near Garrisonville Road each day.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 23, 2017, 04:11:47 PM
QuoteThe new northbound and southbound ramps will open to traffic ahead of schedule on Oct. 31, Virginia transportation officials said. The $50 million project adds entrance and exit ramps south of Exit 143 at Garrisonville Road. About 146,000 vehicles travel on I-95 near Garrisonville Road each day.

Excellent!  Last time I was by there a few weeks ago it looked almost ready to open.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 23, 2017, 04:11:47 PM
Washington Post: An additional 2 miles of Interstate 95 HOT lanes will open Oct. 31

QuoteThe high-occupancy/toll (HOT) lanes in the Interstate 95 corridor in Northern Virginia will add an additional two miles next week.

QuoteThe expansion in Stafford County is a small step toward bringing the Express Lanes farther south to Fredericksburg. Plans are underway to add an additional 10 miles of HOT lanes by 2022.

Very nice. Now if they could get the rest done ahead of schedule I'll be very happy. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

I had an unexpected afternoon off and used the time to go to the E-ZPass "Customer Service Center" in Woodbridge. I put that in quotation marks because it's a misleading term: It's actually a DMV office on Caton Hill Road (near the Horner Road commuter lot). I wanted to swap our E-ZPasses for E-ZPass Flex devices. Painless process, aside from having to stand on line at the check-in desk. The guy did tell me one thing that's interesting: If you use the device in "HOV Mode" to ride free on the HO/T lanes, he said prior to your next trip in HOV Mode you have to switch it to non—HOV Mode, then switch it back again (sort of like a reboot, I guess). He said if you don't do this, it won't work in HOV Mode the next time. (That won't likely be an issue for us because our HOV Mode trips will almost all be on I-66 inside the Beltway and we'll then have to flip the switch as we go down the ramp to the Beltway, meaning we would reset it each time anyway.)

But I found it interesting because I do not see anything on the Virginia E-ZPass website advising of this. I suppose I could see a practical reason for this sort of requirement if it ensured that people checked their transponder status each time, thus theoretically reducing the chances of people driving solo in HOV Mode. It struck me as a bit strange that there would be nothing on the website about it, though.

jeffandnicole

Not to mention being strange in that the highway has been open for 3 years yet no one has reported this being an issue. I'm sure not every HOV customer will remember to do this every time.

Steve D

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 24, 2017, 04:10:28 PM
I had an unexpected afternoon off and used the time to go to the E-ZPass "Customer Service Center" in Woodbridge. I put that in quotation marks because it's a misleading term: It's actually a DMV office on Caton Hill Road (near the Horner Road commuter lot). I wanted to swap our E-ZPasses for E-ZPass Flex devices. Painless process, aside from having to stand on line at the check-in desk. The guy did tell me one thing that's interesting: If you use the device in "HOV Mode" to ride free on the HO/T lanes, he said prior to your next trip in HOV Mode you have to switch it to non—HOV Mode, then switch it back again (sort of like a reboot, I guess). He said if you don't do this, it won't work in HOV Mode the next time. (That won't likely be an issue for us because our HOV Mode trips will almost all be on I-66 inside the Beltway and we'll then have to flip the switch as we go down the ramp to the Beltway, meaning we would reset it each time anyway.)

But I found it interesting because I do not see anything on the Virginia E-ZPass website advising of this. I suppose I could see a practical reason for this sort of requirement if it ensured that people checked their transponder status each time, thus theoretically reducing the chances of people driving solo in HOV Mode. It struck me as a bit strange that there would be nothing on the website about it, though.

I have been using the EZPass Flex for five years now on the 495 HOT Lanes, have never switched it out of HOV mode, and have never been charged a toll on those lanes (we always have 3+ in the car). 

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve D on October 25, 2017, 08:38:23 AM
I have been using the EZPass Flex for five years now on the 495 HOT Lanes, have never switched it out of HOV mode, and have never been charged a toll on those lanes (we always have 3+ in the car). 

Good to know. Thanks. I think jeffandnicole makes an excellent point–if this were actually required, surely we would have heard some kind of media report by now, especially given how many of the local media seem to want to turn every little thing about the HO/T lanes into some sort of made-up scandal.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 25, 2017, 08:43:36 AM
Quote from: Steve D on October 25, 2017, 08:38:23 AM

Good to know. Thanks. I think jeffandnicole makes an excellent point–if this were actually required, surely we would have heard some kind of media report by now, especially given how many of the local media seem to want to turn every little thing about the HO/T lanes into some sort of made-up scandal.

I wonder about that too. I become reminded of people, including my parents, who vowed to "never" use the toll lanes and, lo and behold, they found them convenient many occasions (e.g. time sensitive events such as reservations, flight from Dulles, etc.)

I wonder if the grumbling will wane as the HOT format becomes increasingly prevalent in the area.

AlexandriaVA

Work is well underway on the northern extension of the 395 HOT lanes, from Edsall Rd (Turkeycock Run, specifically) to the Pentagon. This photo shows repaving work. The plan is to have three lanes instead of the present two. I think they're going to take out the eastern most shoulder and simply turn it into another reversible lane. However I supposed they could just flip everything when they change the lanes and have the shoulder always be on the left or right side of the direction of the flow.

1995hoo

I was on there southbound from DC earlier this afternoon and I found they've narrowed it from VA-27 to the Shirlington exit–jersey walls on each side (no shoulders) and lanes shifted. The usual annoyance of the old lane markings still being visible in the afternoon sun glare was a factor.

froggie

^^ Your photo is showing up as a grey "Do Not Enter" symbol.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on October 26, 2017, 11:39:58 PM
^^ Your photo is showing up as a grey "Do Not Enter" symbol.

Renders fine where I am.  Strange.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2017, 04:49:33 PM
I was on there southbound from DC earlier this afternoon and I found they've narrowed it from VA-27 to the Shirlington exit–jersey walls on each side (no shoulders) and lanes shifted. The usual annoyance of the old lane markings still being visible in the afternoon sun glare was a factor.

I have to wonder if someone got the idea for that from PennDOT and their miserable "cattle chute" work zones. Shirlington Circle to VA-27 is not that far (and fortunately it's a fairly straight section of road), but if there's a crash or a disabled vehicle, then the results get ugly in a hurry. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.