News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

electronic only tolls

Started by NPS, April 12, 2011, 07:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NPS

I am doing some research on North American toll roads.  Would anyone be able to help me identify these?   I am looking for all-electronic roads like the ICC as well as the splits like the Powhite Parkway in VA where the mainline has a gantry for electronic payment without slowing down and the plaza has a cash option.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Ace10

There are a bunch out there.

I live in Florida so I'm most familiar with toll roads in that state. There are a couple that are electronic-only. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) runs the Florida's Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) which oversees most of the toll roads here. They have a SunPass prepaid toll program which includes a transponder to use instead of cash.

There are a couple that are all-electronic only. These include the Crosstown Expressway in Tampa (FL 618), Florida's Turnpike Homestead Extension (FL 821), Gratigny Parkway (FL 924), Don Shula Expressway (FL 874), and Snapper Creek Expressway (FL 878). There are probably a few more I'm forgetting. A lot of the other toll roads in Florida still accept cash, but many have converted their toll plazas to have SunPass users travel at highway speeds while cash users must exit the mainline to pay their toll. Virtually all of the Orlando area toll roads have converted almost all of their toll plazas to have express lanes.

The only other experience with toll roads I have is in Indiana and Illinois. At least in Illinois, a lot of the Chicago area expressways have toll gantries that allow their users with compatible transponders to travel at highway speeds under the readers in order to pay the toll. However these roads still accept cash.

The only other one I know of that is all-electronic is the 407 Express Toll Route (ETR) near Toronto, Ontario.

froggie

Several toll facilities have what you mention about the Powhite where there's a split, with ETC in the "mainline", and the toll plaza off to the side.  DE 1, several of the Chicago area tollways, the Indiana Toll Road, the west end of the PA Turnpike, and the Harriman mainline booth on the NYS Thruway all have such, and I'm sure there are many others.

hbelkins

Isn't the George Bush Turnpike in the Dallas area electronic-only? I'm still waiting for a bill from where I drove a segment of that road back in January of last year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

ON-407 is all electronic. You have the choice between having an account and a transponder in your car, or bill-by-plate. A-25 in QC will start using a similar scheme in May.

mgk920

Quote from: NPS on April 12, 2011, 07:05:36 AM
I am doing some research on North American toll roads.  Would anyone be able to help me identify these?   I am looking for all-electronic roads like the ICC as well as the splits like the Powhite Parkway in VA where the mainline has a gantry for electronic payment without slowing down and the plaza has a cash option.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
The Illinois Tollways have full-speed transponder 'open road tolling' lanes at all of their major mainline tollgates, but not at most interchanges where tolls are charged (transponder readers exist at the booths/baskets at them) and cash is also accepted at all tollgates (cash toll is double the transponder toll).

There are several electronic-only tollways in the Houston area and one (the Westpark Tollway) charges major fines rather than doing the 'send a bill with a small surcharge' routine for those without transponders.

Also, the recently-opened Intercounty Connector in the Washington, DC Maryland suburbs is electronic/transponder only (sending a bill with a small surcharge for non-transponder users).

Several interchanges on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (mainly in its eastern part) are transponder-only, too.

Mike

PAHighways

On the Pennsylvania Turnpike System, Gateway (2), Warrendale (30), and Mid-County (20) on the mainline, and Redstone (M19) and Jefferson Hills (M52) Toll Plazas on Turnpike 43 have Express E-ZPass lanes.  There are E-ZPass-only exits on I-276 at Virginia Drive (340) westbound and Street Road (351) eastbound, with another under construction on I-76 at PA 29 and another planned on I-476 at PA 903.

The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission has Express E-ZPass lanes at the I-78 Toll Bridge Toll Plaza and ones under construction at the Delaware Water Gap Toll Bridge Toll Plaza on I-80.

Kacie Jane

Most (might be all by now) of the barrier tolls on the Garden State Parkway have this "split", as do I believe the Exit 1 and 16/18E plazas on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Here in Washington, the new SR 16 Tacoma Narrows Bridge has such a split, and the upcoming new SR 520 bridge will likely be only open-road electronic tolling (with a toll by mail option for cars without the tag).

hobsini2

Not entirely true MGK about all tollgates accepting cash.  The interchange for I-88 (Reagan formerly E-W Tollway) to Eola Rd in Aurora IL is I-Pass only. No cash is accepted.  Also, over 90% of all ramp toll plazas do have an I-Pass only lane option.  The only ones that come to mind that do not have I-Pass only options (but are collected in the change lanes) are the following:
I-88 Highland Ave (EB off),
I-88 Farnsworth Ave (NB to EB, WB to SB),
I-88 Route 31 (EB Off, WB on),
I-90 Route 25 (WB off, EB on),
I-90 Route 31 (WB off, EB on),
I-294/80 Route 1-Halsted St (NB off, SB on),
I-294 US 6-159th St (NB on, SB off) i think the last 2 may have been changed in the recent reconstruction of I-294.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 16, 2011, 04:36:48 PM
Not entirely true MGK about all tollgates accepting cash.  The interchange for I-88 (Reagan formerly E-W Tollway) to Eola Rd in Aurora IL is I-Pass only. No cash is accepted.  Also, over 90% of all ramp toll plazas do have an I-Pass only lane option.  The only ones that come to mind that do not have I-Pass only options (but are collected in the change lanes) are the following:
I-88 Highland Ave (EB off),
I-88 Farnsworth Ave (NB to EB, WB to SB),
I-88 Route 31 (EB Off, WB on),
I-90 Route 25 (WB off, EB on),
I-90 Route 31 (WB off, EB on),
I-294/80 Route 1-Halsted St (NB off, SB on),
I-294 US 6-159th St (NB on, SB off) i think the last 2 may have been changed in the recent reconstruction of I-294.

Halsted and the Tri-State was reconstructed a couple of years ago to have dedicated I-Pass lanes, as well as adding a C/D lane to the eastbound side.

I believe the same was done at the Tri-State and 159th Street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

FreewayDan

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2011, 08:57:04 AM
Isn't the George Bush Turnpike in the Dallas area electronic-only? I'm still waiting for a bill from where I drove a segment of that road back in January of last year.

The President George Bush Turnpike, along with the other NTTA toll roads, are going to all-electronic tolling.

Another all-electronic toll road opened last month in Texas, SH 550 in the Rio Grande Valley.  Like the NNTA tollways, Tyler's Loop 49 and the Austin-area turnpikes (and unlike SH 255 north of Laredo), SH 550 is TxTag or Pay-by-Mail.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/opens-89444-toll-overpass.html
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

jdb1234

Several interchanges on Florida's Turnpike are Sunpass only. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.