News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What states most commonly have towns with streets bearing the state's name?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 07, 2020, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Looking around in Google Maps, I've noticed that a number of states seem to have a whole bunch of towns with a street named after the state in which they are located - more so in some states than in others.

As far as specific states, I've seen a lot of towns in Michigan with a Michigan Avenue, while it seems like most towns in Colorado will have a Colorado Avenue. Perhaps rather unsurprisingly, Texas Avenue makes an appearance in several Texas towns, while many places in Kansas have a Kansas Avenue.

These are the states that I've noticed appear to have a huge number of streets named for the state. Which other states seem to make the cut in this regard?

(By the way, one would think that Maine would try to take advantage of this by spelling Main Street like the name of the state; however, when I went the length of US 1 on Street View, I noticed only one Maine town - namely, Brunswick - that actually did so.)

AlexandriaVA

My guess is that such states would be more likely to be out west, rather than in the east. This is because, in my estimation, there was more state-level boosterism going on, where a state like Wyoming would want to put its name wherever possible in order to attract business and people. Whereas in Rhode Island, who cares, because you're already well-populated.

Just a hypothesis....no basis in anything other than my own gut feeling.

As an aside, DC has all fifty states represented in the form of avenues in the city, ranging from the very well-known (anyone know what's at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue), to the more remote (North Dakota Ave runs for three blocks in NE DC).

Flint1979

I know Detroit, Saginaw, Bay City, Lansing, Jackson and Kalamazoo all have streets named Michigan. There are certainly plenty of others but those cities have Michigan as a main street in some of them.

Max Rockatansky

Lots of "California"  streets in California.  I live about a quarter mile from one such example in Fresno. 

jp the roadgeek

Connecticut Avenue, although a property in Monopoly (and therefore a street in Atlantic City), as well as a major thoroughfare in DC, isn't as popular as one would think within our state.  The most famous one is the stretch of US 1 through Norwalk.  There is one in my town about a mile from where I live, but it is a very short street that leads into a residential area and bends around and becomes another street within a quarter mile.  The rest (about half a dozen others), are not very significant

As far as Massachusetts, Mass Ave in the Boston area is a major and culturally significant thoroughfare that stretches from South Boston through the Back Bay Area into Cambridge.  The name isn't as popular in the rest of the state.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Scott5114

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 08, 2020, 02:00:45 AM
Connecticut Avenue, although a property in Monopoly (and therefore a street in Atlantic City)

I like the implication here that Monopoly properties dictate street names in Atlantic City and not the other way around.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ilpt4u

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2020, 02:03:04 AM
Connecticut Avenue, although a property in Monopoly (and therefore a street in Atlantic City)

I like the implication here that Monopoly properties dictate street names in Atlantic City and not the other way around.
First time I went to Atlantic City (as a kid) I noticed the street names were Monopoly streets. Then I looked it up to see that Atlantic City was the basis for the game board properties

As far as the OT, I haven't really noticed if it is common or rare to have an Illinois Ave or Illinois St within Illinois. I don't remember too many in the West Burbs growing up, but now living in Southern IL I know Du Quoin, Carbondale, and Murphysboro have Illinois Aves. I'm sure there are more across the state, but I just don't know if it is enough to make it "common"

jmacswimmer

Maryland Ave makes an appearance in several locations: Cumberland, Hagerstown, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Bethesda, Westminster, Baltimore, Annapolis, and Salisbury (possibly among others).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NWI_Irish96

Indiana St/Ave/Pl exists in 10 of the state's 15 largest cities:

Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend, Bloomington, Hammond, Gary, Muncie, Terre Haute, Kokomo
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

briantroutman

There are a number of "Pennsylvania"  streets–mostly Avenues–across the state, but they tend to be incidental side streets. I can't think of any examples in the state where a Pennsylvania Ave. is a noteworthy thoroughfare. As a name, Pennsylvania is certainly nowhere near Market, High, Broad, Water, Front, tree names (Walnut, Locust, etc.), or numbers in the pantheon of street names that are commonly applied to local streets of significance in cities and towns within the state.

Actually, I'm struck more by the use of Pennsylvania to name longer or more significant streets in cities outside Pennsylvania (most notably Washington, D.C.–also Oklahoma City, Brooklyn, N.Y., Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Denver, and others). Sometimes, this is part of a pattern of state names applied to a number of streets, but this isn't always the case.

ozarkman417

Some of the more bigger towns and cities, including Springfield, St. Louis, Jeff City, St. Robert, Columbia, and KC have a street named Missouri, most of them Avenue. In Springfield, Missouri Avenue is simply a residential north/south street.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 08, 2020, 01:52:18 PM
Some of the more bigger towns and cities, including Springfield, St. Louis, Jeff City, St. Robert, Columbia, and KC have a street named Missouri, most of them Avenue. In Springfield, Missouri Avenue is simply a residential north/south street.

Oddly, though, Kansas Expressway is a major north-south arterial carrying Route 13. Probably because 13→7 is the route to Kansas City, but I still thought it was a little funny when I lived there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

"Washington Street/Ave/Rd/Blvd" makes quite a few appearances in Washington State; I'd say "street" is the most common of the prefixes.

But, then again, "Washington" is one of the most common street names in the US, on account of Mr George Washington. So it's basically impossible to separate where the name is used either as a reference to the first president, or as a reference to the state name.

The best you can do is look at parallel street names to see if there's a pattern, if any. For example, a parallel road named "Lincoln", as is the case in Yakima, WA, would likely indicate the street name is after the president. But then again, that example in Yakima is the main road to the airport (KYKM; McAllister Field), so it could easily be a reference to the state name as well (as a sort of 'welcoming' for people who might have flown in from out-of-state).

TheHighwayMan3561

There are several Minnesota streets, most prominently Minnesota St in downtown St. Paul and Minnesota Ave in Duluth.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KCRoadFan

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 08, 2020, 02:25:50 AM

First time I went to Atlantic City (as a kid) I noticed the street names were Monopoly streets. Then I looked it up to see that Atlantic City was the basis for the game board properties

As far as the OT, I haven't really noticed if it is common or rare to have an Illinois Ave or Illinois St within Illinois. I don't remember too many in the West Burbs growing up, but now living in Southern IL I know Du Quoin, Carbondale, and Murphysboro have Illinois Aves. I'm sure there are more across the state, but I just don't know if it is enough to make it "common"

I know Chicago itself has an Illinois Street - it's one of the streets that intersects Michigan Avenue in its "Magnificent Mile" section.

Dirt Roads

There are no streets named "West Virginia Street" in West Virginia.  In fact, the capital city of Charleston intentionally marks streets as Street Name 'East' or 'West' so as to avoid calling the section of Virginia Street that is west of the Elk River by the state name.  Hence, it's known as Virginia Street East through downtown up to the Capitol, and Virginia Street West on the Westside.  Fun fact: Charleston still claims that the 1500 block of Virginia Street East is the world's longest city block.

On the other hand, both Parkersburg and Clarksburg have streets named "Virginia Avenue" that are marked "East" or "West" such that the western sections are signed as "W Virginia Avenue".  South Charleston, St. Albans, Morgantown, Moundsville, Wheeling and Weirton all have streets named "Virginia Street", none of which should be confused with the state name.  I've actually driven on most of these listed, with the exceptions of Clarksburg and Weirton.  Another fun fact:  Virginia Street is on the Wheeling Island side of the old Wheeling Suspension Bridge over part of the Ohio River, which was the world's longest of it's type for a short spell in the mid-1800s.

Wonder how many cities here have "Carolina Street" marked as "N Carolina Street"?  Or south of the border as "S Carolina Street"?

thspfc

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 08, 2020, 07:09:15 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 08, 2020, 02:25:50 AM

I know Chicago itself has an Illinois Street - it's one of the streets that intersects Michigan Avenue in its "Magnificent Mile" section.
The dark side of Monopoly property names is that the cheap and pretty much worthless properties like Mediterranean and Baltic were (and maybe still are, idk) streets in black neighborhoods of Atlantic City. I'm surprised there hasn't been any clamor to change the names of those properties or move them elsewhere on the board. Seems like a 2020 type of thing to me.

webny99

New York might be a candidate for least streets named after the state. To be honest, a street called "New York" would feel pretty out-of-place and out-of-touch in upstate NY given how much of a different world the city is from the rest of the state.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: webny99 on September 08, 2020, 09:12:24 PM
New York might be a candidate for least streets named after the state. To be honest, a street called "New York" would feel pretty out-of-place and out-of-touch in upstate NY given how much of a different world the city is from the rest of the state.

Let's put that to the test. Do Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Binghamton, Elmira, or any of the other major Upstate cities have a "New York Street"  or "New York Avenue" ?

corco

Idaho might actually win something! Among Idaho's top 50 cities, we have an Idaho Street in, at minimum:
- Idaho St,  American Falls
- Idaho St, Boise
- Idaho Ave, Meridian
- Idaho St, Eagle
- Idaho Ave, Caldwell
- Idaho St, Weiser
- Idaho St, McCall
- Idaho Ave, Fruitland
- Idaho Ave, Idaho Falls
- Idaho St, Pocatello
- Idaho Ave, Coeur d'Alene
- Idaho St, Twin Falls
- Idaho St, Post Falls
- Idaho St, Lewiston
- Idaho Ave, Moscow
- Idaho St, Burley
- Idaho St, Sandpoint
- Idaho St, Rathdrum
- Idaho St, Middleton
- Idaho Blvd, Emmett
- Idaho Ave, Rigby
- Idaho St, Gooding
- Idaho St, Grangeville
- Idaho Ave, Salmon
- Idaho St, Filer
- Idaho St, Wendell
- Idaho Ave, Homedale

jmacswimmer

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 08, 2020, 07:09:15 PM

Chicago also has a Chicago Ave (and 3 different L stations along said street all named "Chicago"), which I've always found amusing.  Similarly, there is a Baltimore St in Baltimore.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 08, 2020, 10:51:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 08, 2020, 09:12:24 PM

Let's put that to the test. Do Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Binghamton, Elmira, or any of the other major Upstate cities have a "New York Street"  or "New York Avenue" ?

I believe there are only 3 upstate (they're all Streets): Lockport, Rochester, and Mohawk. Nothing I would have known about without searching, as you can see. None of them even have so much as a centerline.

Flint1979

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 08, 2020, 09:01:30 PM
There are no streets named "West Virginia Street" in West Virginia.  In fact, the capital city of Charleston intentionally marks streets as Street Name 'East' or 'West' so as to avoid calling the section of Virginia Street that is west of the Elk River by the state name.  Hence, it's known as Virginia Street East through downtown up to the Capitol, and Virginia Street West on the Westside.  Fun fact: Charleston still claims that the 1500 block of Virginia Street East is the world's longest city block.

On the other hand, both Parkersburg and Clarksburg have streets named "Virginia Avenue" that are marked "East" or "West" such that the western sections are signed as "W Virginia Avenue".  South Charleston, St. Albans, Morgantown, Moundsville, Wheeling and Weirton all have streets named "Virginia Street", none of which should be confused with the state name.  I've actually driven on most of these listed, with the exceptions of Clarksburg and Weirton.  Another fun fact:  Virginia Street is on the Wheeling Island side of the old Wheeling Suspension Bridge over part of the Ohio River, which was the world's longest of it's type for a short spell in the mid-1800s.

Wonder how many cities here have "Carolina Street" marked as "N Carolina Street"?  Or south of the border as "S Carolina Street"?
There is a street in my hometown (Saginaw, MI) that is called Carolina Street. It has a section where it's N. Carolina and a section where it's S. Carolina. It's suppose to be just Carolina Street but the N. and S. makes it look like it was named after both states.

Court Street is the line between north and south on the west side of Saginaw.

frankenroad

A quick check of Ohio's three largest cities - they all have an Ohio Avenue (not Street) - but in all three cases it is a relatively minor street.  At some point, I will research this more fully.

A related project I am working on is documenting all the streets in Cincinnati that are named after states.  I think at least 40 states are represented, including some major thoroughfares such as  Montana Avenue.  When I complete that, I'll start a new thread.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.