News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Part of overpass on I-95 in NE Philly collapses after tanker fire

Started by Mr. Matté, June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

...This couldn't have happened on one of the sections that hasn't been rebuilt yet?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Dough4872

Looked at the DelDOT app and VMSs on I-95 northbound past the DE 896 and DE 1 interchanges are mentioning the closure in Pennsylvania and directing truck traffic to use I-295 to New Jersey.

The Ghostbuster

bing101

Dang this looks like the one time I-85 Collapsed in Atlanta and it was like that.

Mr. Matté

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWdkWuAA2N/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Someone posted a video driving through the scene this morning. This seems like a complete fail on the part of the PD (whether staties or Phila Police). The fire started around 6 am and I wouldn't know who would let traffic continue to drive over the scene, whether the bridge was sagging or not.

kalvado

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2023, 12:31:01 PM

Someone posted a video driving through the scene this morning. This seems like a complete fail on the part of the PD (whether staties or Phila Police). The fire started around 6 am and I wouldn't know who would let traffic continue to drive over the scene, whether the bridge was sagging or not.
We got used to that level of smoke over the past week anyway...

famartin

Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2023, 12:31:01 PM

We got used to that level of smoke over the past week anyway...

Not really but  :-D

Do we know what time that video was shot?  Looked pretty early.

1995hoo

We're approaching the location now. Train is crawling; they said it's because of "signal issues."  Don't know whether I'll be able to see anything, but if I can I'll post whatever pictures I can manage.

Edited to add: Couldn't see enough to get pictures. Loads of emergency vehicles, and it sure looks strange to look over and see no traffic on I-95. Maybe the train issue was a signal because we sped up (but not back to full speed) before we reached the incident.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dough4872

brad2971

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 11, 2023, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:22:50 AM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?
The technology you keep trying to push is only good in an ideal world, Kernals.

To be fair to Kernals12, there is a big vacant lot near the overpass where the accelerated bridge can be built. How to steer it into place is another matter, though. If the experiences of other situations apply (I-85-Atlanta, I-580 Macarthur Maze), Philly is looking at around 30 days before people are driving on the replacment.

kalvado

Quote from: brad2971 on June 11, 2023, 12:52:50 PM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?

To be fair to Kernals12, there is a big vacant lot near the overpass where the accelerated bridge can be built. How to steer it into place is another matter, though. If the experiences of other situations apply (I-85-Atlanta, I-580 Macarthur Maze), Philly is looking at around 30 days before people are driving on the replacment.
I wonder how much sense it makes to build it on a vacant lot while actual spot would seat empty. keeping southbound traffic going may be a concern, but other than that?...

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder if this will lead to more thru traffic using I-295 and the NJ Turnpike to get around the collapse. 

Dough4872

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 11, 2023, 01:18:39 PM
I wonder if this will lead to more thru traffic using I-295 and the NJ Turnpike to get around the collapse.

As I mentioned upthread, there are VMSs along I-95 northbound in Delaware directing trucks to I-295 to New Jersey

famartin

Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 01:01:34 PM
Quote from: brad2971 on June 11, 2023, 12:52:50 PM

I wonder how much sense it makes to build it on a vacant lot while actual spot would seat empty. keeping southbound traffic going may be a concern, but other than that?...

Given the sagging of the other overpass, I'd guess they'll need to make significant repairs on that as well if not replace it outright also.

J N Winkler

If I were PennDOT, I would be planning to replace the entire bridge, with a goal of having it open to traffic within two months.  I-85 in Atlanta took 53 days (counting from the day the fire started?) and the I-580 connector in the MacArthur Maze took 26 days of construction.

Buttigieg has offered help, and I would be taking him at his word, since this is going to be expensive as hell.  Caltrans paid an incentive of $200,000 for each day saved from the projected two-month construction period for the I-580 connector--almost $7 million just to get it open to traffic ASAP.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ilpt4u

The missing I-95/PA Turnpike ramps between 276 to the west and 95 to the south, both from and to, might have been useful in this scenario, so 476+276 would make a useful western bypass loop

I guess the NJTP + I-95/PATP ramps do the same as the eastern bypass loop

famartin

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 11, 2023, 03:18:55 PM
The missing I-95/PA Turnpike ramps between 276 to the west and 95 to the south, both from and to, might have been useful in this scenario, so 476+276 would make a useful western bypass loop

To some extent, but Woodhaven Road serves that function too.

mgk920

Over the past few decades, Caltrans also replaced two damaged freeway bridges, both in a month or so, paying HEFTY 'early completion' bonuses to the contractors.

Mike

bing101

If I didn't look at this on what took place on I-95 I would have guessed a quake took a section of freeway down like what happened in 1994 during the Northridge quake. However in this case it's a fire that melted parts of the road down though.

vdeane

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM
https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/

Truck was under the overpass from northbound exit 30 to Cottman Avenue (Tacony neighborhood). Looks like this was a relatively new overpass (GSV shows it in by 2016) but I guess you can't exactly design for high temperature fires all the time.
Did anyone else initially think this was about a bridge over I-95 and not I-95 itself because the OP said overpass (terming it relative to the local road, but not specifying such in language people not from the area would get without looking at Google Maps).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:09:45 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM
https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/

Truck was under the overpass from northbound exit 30 to Cottman Avenue (Tacony neighborhood). Looks like this was a relatively new overpass (GSV shows it in by 2016) but I guess you can't exactly design for high temperature fires all the time.
While high (and low) temperature are pretty bad for steel, and hard to design for (cough... world trade center), I have a different question about all this.  I wonder if there was a reason for the driver to stop under the bridge? The only way to get where he ended up is by taking exit 30 from the highway.  Stopping literally 100 feet earlier would leave the fire burn in the open; pulling another 100' forward would be a fire in the middle of an intersection...
Of course, it's possible that driver noted something in a rear view during the turn off-ramp, and didn't think much about anything else...

I believe the truck driver took the ramp too fast, hit the bridge abutment, crashed, and stopped disabled under the overpass. It wasn't a case where the truck just suddenly caught fire in mid-travel and the driver decided to abandon it under an overpass.

jeffandnicole

While many have referenced Atlanta's similar incident, Philly also had a similar collapse on 1096. I-495 in Wilmington also had a closure due to a tilting issue several years ago also. And I think I-80 in North Jersey alsohad a similar issue a number of years ago. So this area has had relative experience in dealing with extended highway closures.

https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philadelphia-i95-closed-1996-in-philly/13369393/

The best thing going for the region: numerous other highway options to get around. DelDOT is sending a poor message and should be suggesting all thru traffic use NJ's I-295 or the Turnpike; not just Truck traffic.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 11, 2023, 11:21:20 AM
Looked at the DelDOT app and VMSs on I-95 northbound past the DE 896 and DE 1 interchanges are mentioning the closure in Pennsylvania and directing truck traffic to use I-295 to New Jersey.

Looks like Maryland is warning of the closure as far south as BWI Airport

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2023, 03:34:57 PMDid anyone else initially think this was about a bridge over I-95 and not I-95 itself because the OP said overpass (terming it relative to the local road, but not specifying such in language people not from the area would get without looking at Google Maps).

I didn't, because I first heard of this incident through a post on FreewayJim when doing my morning Facebook check, and the accompanying picture showed a bridge wide enough that it clearly had to be part of mainline I-95.

I've had to get used to seeing overpass and underpass used interchangeably since even road enthusiasts aren't necessarily aware that in engineering contexts, they have distinct meanings according to whether the cross traffic passes under or over the freeway.  It's a bit like BGS versus large guide sign, or the old debate over whether Super Two means a two-lane highway with shoulders or just a two-lane freeway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.