News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Changing Control Cities

Started by OCGuy81, October 05, 2011, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 23, 2021, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 02:11:06 PM
You don't think it's a problem that But Not Quite appears to be a separate destination, accessible via either highway?

Its no more confusing than having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.
It ends at I-695.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 23, 2021, 04:04:40 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on April 23, 2021, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 02:11:06 PM
You don't think it's a problem that But Not Quite appears to be a separate destination, accessible via either highway?

Its no more confusing than having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.
It ends at I-695.

Incorrect.  If it did, it wouldn't make it all the way to Baltimore!

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Wait the parking lot is in Baltimore! Take that highwaystar!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 23, 2021, 04:09:51 PM

He doesn't care that the highway enters Baltimore city limits.  He doesn't care that Baltimore on the sign is useful for getting people to their destination.  He doesn't care that there are many other examples like it–even more egregious–all over the country.  He doesn't care that drivers would be more confused if it were changed.  He only wants it changed as a way of stomping his feet on the floor than I-70 didn't make it farther into the city.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 04:15:12 PM

He doesn't care that the highway enters Baltimore city limits.  He doesn't care that Baltimore on the sign is useful for getting people to their destination.  He doesn't care that there are many other examples like it–even more egregious–all over the country.  He doesn't care that drivers would be more confused if it were changed.  He only wants it changed as a way of stomping his feet on the floor than I-70 didn't make it farther into the city.

I bet it made him really mad when I drove my Jeep into that parking lot to begin the final stretch I needed of I-70 to clinch the whole thing this past January.  My dangerous vehicle was in Baltimore on I-70!

Chris

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 23, 2021, 04:03:10 PM
Not that I know (or at the moment, personally have reason to care) where the municipal boundaries for the city (or even county) of Baltimore are..... for the general motoring public, I do believe SHA put up signs explicitly saying that I-70 ends at I-695.  While that might not be technically true, the only people who might know that have no business being confused at "having the interstate dead end into a damn parking lot.".

Correct. (And unlike the signs on I-695 as jayhawkco pointed out, it is not signed as continuing past I-695 from I-70 itself.)

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 04:07:16 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 23, 2021, 04:04:40 PM
It ends at I-695.
Incorrect.  If it did, it wouldn't make it all the way to Baltimore!

FWIW I believe AASHTO did approve formally truncating I-70 to I-695, but it was never carried out by MDOT once the Baltimore Red Line project (which would have shared I-70's current ROW inside I-695 with a downgraded road named Cooks Boulevard) was cancelled in 2015.

It pretty much reads like the FritzOwl thread at this point:

HighwayStar: Remove Baltimore from I-70 signs

The entire rest of the forum: I-70 enters the metro area and provides the main access towards the city from the west, it's fine

HighwayStar: Put Baltimore Beltway on the signs, I think this is needed

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2021, 03:02:49 PM
I don't think that's an actual Google Maps boundary, there.

I don't know what you're talking about...

*jmacswimmer ducks and runs*
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

HighwayStar

Now now, careful with the straw man, he is still looking for a brain.
He doesn't care that the highway enters Baltimore city limits.-True, as that is a meaningless technicality
He doesn't care that Baltimore on the sign is useful for getting people to their destination.-False, all of my suggested alternatives still have the word "Baltimore" in them.
He doesn't care that there are many other examples like it–even more egregious–all over the country.-Also false, I do care about them, and agree they need to be rectified, particularly in cases where they are misleading because the original design was not completed.
He only wants it changed as a way of stomping his feet on the floor than I-70 didn't make it farther into the city.-Half truth, it needs to reflect the incomplete nature of the route and the fact that I-70 does not meaningfully go to Baltimore.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kphoger

Then, it seems to me, control cities do not actually serve the purpose you imagine them to.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 04:18:04 PM

I bet it made him really mad when I drove my Jeep into that parking lot to begin the final stretch I needed of I-70 to clinch the whole thing this past January.  My dangerous vehicle was in Baltimore on I-70!

Chris

I, too, intentionally got off I-695 and detoured through Baltimore so I could start my westward trek on I-70 in that parking lot. My mom, who grew up in Kansas City and thus had always had a connection to I-70, was driving, and she thought it was really cool that the mighty I-70 in Kansas City got its start in a tiny parking lot in Baltimore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 05:17:29 PM
My mom, who grew up in Kansas City and thus had always had a connection to I-70, was driving, and she thought it was really cool was really confused that the mighty I-70 in Kansas City got its start in a tiny parking lot in Baltimore.

FTFY
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Chris

I, too, intentionally got off I-695 and detoured through Baltimore so I could start my westward trek on I-70 in that parking lot. My mom, who grew up in Kansas City and thus had always had a connection to I-70, was driving, and she thought it was really cool that the mighty I-70 in Kansas City got its start in a tiny parking lot in Baltimore.

And likewise for me when I found that information out having lived in two different cities along I-70.  I needed to still clinch the portion from that awesome parking lot in Baltimore up to the PA Turnpike on this last trip.  How great is it that I-70 starts at a parking lot in Baltimore!

Chris

Roadgeekteen

I think that the east end of I-70 is unique and cool.

thenetwork

I-70 EAST:  Somewhere in Maryland

sprjus4

We talk about I-70 and Baltimore... I guess we're forgetting I-695 North lists "New York"   :-o

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 23, 2021, 07:06:59 PM
We talk about I-70 and Baltimore... I guess we're forgetting I-695 North lists "New York"   :-o
Wait until he here's that I-384 lists Providence... he's gonna cry.

Flint1979

What would you do if you came across a highway that had the control city of Hell? D32 in Michigan.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 23, 2021, 10:04:02 PM
What would you do if you came across a highway that had the control city of Hell? D32 in Michigan.
Sing "Highway to Hell"  as I literally turn onto the highway to Hell, MI

HighwayStar

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 23, 2021, 05:23:37 PM

Chris

And likewise for me when I found that information out having lived in two different cities along I-70.  I needed to still clinch the portion from that awesome parking lot in Baltimore up to the PA Turnpike on this last trip.  How great is it that I-70 starts at a parking lot in Baltimore!

Chris

From a roadfan standpoint? Its very neat.
From a motorist who wants to get somewhere standpoint? Its a disgrace.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 23, 2021, 10:25:11 PM

Chris

Chris

A motorist who follows signs to Baltimore will be led onto I-695 to get to Baltimore. Big deal.

Flint1979

Chris

Chris

That parking lot isn't stopping anyone from getting somewhere. I-695 lists Baltimore as a control city from I-70. Baltimore Beltway is a stupid idea for a control city btw. Someone will come along and think oh the Baltimore Beltway, what the hell? I-70 is heading toward Baltimore and Baltimore is Maryland's largest city so no it's not a disgrace.

Flint1979

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 23, 2021, 10:42:32 PM
That parking lot isn't stopping anyone from getting somewhere.

Yep, there's the summary of this conversation.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 01:07:50 PM

And we are done here.

webny99

Oh, we're never done. I'd be disappointed in us if this doesn't come up in some random thread five months from now.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 01:07:50 PM

And we are done here.

That parking lot isn't stopping anyone from getting somewhere. This is patently false, if you look at where the road was supposed to go its obvious that the parking lot prevents you from going to Baltimore as intended. And the argument that you "could always get there via some other roads" misses the point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.