News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ice Likely From Median Landscape Sprinklers Causes Fatal Accident in Texas

Started by Brian556, January 24, 2019, 12:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This was reported this morning. If you look at the citizens video, you can see a landscaped median with ice on it, and ice on the road.

There was some precipitation late last night east of Lewisville, but I don't think it hit this area.

The fact that the accident happened in the early morning, and that the police and the media reported the accident, and not the ice, along with what you see in the citizens video in the comments, suggests to me that the ice came from the median landscaping sprinklers, and they were trying to keep the government's potential guilt a secret.

https://www.facebook.com/LewisvilleTexanJournal/

Brandon

Governments, I've found, don't like being at fault for something and try to wriggle out of any and all blame for an incident they caused through their action or inaction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brian556 on January 24, 2019, 12:50:00 AM
...The fact that the accident happened in the early morning, and that the police and the media reported the accident, and not the ice, along with what you see in the citizens video in the comments, suggests to me that the ice came from the median landscaping sprinklers, and they were trying to keep the government's potential guilt a secret.

What's concerning about this is that one of the newspaper's primary responsibilities is to tell us the truth about the government, and investigate misgivings. 

I don't doubt your version: I see it all the time, especially with certain politicians (and I'm referring to local level, not even national level pols):  All the news about them is positive.  And other politicians: All the news about them is negative.  I almost want to think that the politicians and government figured out that if the reporters want to get in on a good story, they better not write anything negative about them.  In the past, newspapers were powerful.  Today, they're struggling.  There's hundreds of reporters wanting a job, trying to survive with a journalist degree that's not paying them back.  So today's journalists are subject to playing the nice game if they want to get any leads.

Now, that said - I also think many reporters write up news stories on their iPhones while laying in bed, just getting the info via scanners, Facebook and Twitter updates, etc.  They may go back and update their stories to tell us what really happened.  Or maybe not. 

Quote from: Brandon on January 24, 2019, 09:58:39 AM
Governments, I've found, don't like being at fault for something and try to wriggle out of any and all blame for an incident they caused through their action or inaction.

That's true for almost all defendants.  Very rarely does someone just enter a guilty plea, no matter how much evidence is known against them.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2019, 11:16:47 AMI almost want to think that the politicians and government figured out that if the reporters want to get in on a good story, they better not write anything negative about them.
It's less that and more that it behooves a politician to have a cordial relationship with reporters.  It's been that way for decades, and it doesn't cleave as neatly along party lines as some may think.

CtrlAltDel

Governments, companies, nonprofits, individuals: the list is pretty long.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 24, 2019, 06:48:23 PM

Two-year-olds...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2019, 02:16:50 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 24, 2019, 06:48:23 PM

Two-year-olds...

NFL.  :pan:  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.