News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: AMLNet49 on July 11, 2018, 05:53:05 PM
So what did the new I-278 exit numbers turn out to be? I dont think it was ever confirmed, there were just rumors. Or have the tarps not been taken off/numbers not confirmed yet?

The PA signed the exits right off the bridge as 3 A-B-C. Should be 2 A-B-C, especially since the Western Ave exit in SI is still signed as exit 3.

Mergingtraffic

any of the NON-reflective button copy BGS signs still around in northern jersey?  The last "service road" BBS sign at the end of the NJ-17 on Barrows Ave is gone.  The Madison Ave signs are still up on I-80 exit ramp. 

That's all I know for sure.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NJRoadfan

US-22 East approaching the GSP still hasn't been replaced. The rest were replaced over 10 years ago at this point.

https://goo.gl/maps/8kBLeX8YZPN2

There may still be some isolated ones on I-78 in Somerset County.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 17, 2018, 04:00:39 PM
US-22 East approaching the GSP still hasn't been replaced. The rest were replaced over 10 years ago at this point.

I suspect that the upcoming work on the Chestnut Street bridge will bring about the end of this sign after 35+ years.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 17, 2018, 03:10:20 PM
any of the NON-reflective button copy BGS signs still around in northern jersey?  The last "service road" BBS sign at the end of the NJ-17 on Barrows Ave is gone.  The Madison Ave signs are still up on I-80 exit ramp. 

WB at exit 40 there is one.

roadman65

I see NJDOT got rid of the trapezoid gore exit sign for the Garden State Parkway and put a typical exit gore numbered exit guide.
https://goo.gl/maps/rMUDe1GttiP2

https://goo.gl/maps/2zZQ4CCennt
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 17, 2018, 09:25:26 PM
I see NJDOT got rid of the trapezoid gore exit sign for the Garden State Parkway and put a typical exit gore numbered exit guide.

I'm actually surprised that didn't happen when they did the 78/Pkwy missing moves construction. Seems to have happened after 2015. NJDOT does not typically put the trapezoid on its freeway exit gores.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on July 17, 2018, 07:19:32 PM

That would be this one. Added bonus, you can still see where the original lettering was. Sign originally referenced only Gillette and Watchung. The Plainfields was added later (one of my favorite things about NJDOT signing practices is the "The" towns -- The Plainfields, the Oranges. Sadly, never used for the Brunswicks).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 18, 2018, 04:12:03 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 17, 2018, 09:25:26 PM

I'm actually surprised that didn't happen when they did the 78/Pkwy missing moves construction. Seems to have happened after 2015. NJDOT does not typically put the trapezoid on its freeway exit gores.

The NJHA probably put that there many years ago!

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 18, 2018, 04:16:05 AM

That would be this one. Added bonus, you can still see where the original lettering was. Sign originally referenced only Gillette and Watchung. The Plainfields was added later (one of my favorite things about NJDOT signing practices is the "The" towns -- The Plainfields, the Oranges. Sadly, never used for the Brunswicks).
Eastbound it was always there.  Going WB the Exit 40 guide omitted The Plainfields until the day I-78 was finally completed through Watchung Reservation.

However, originally before 1983 when the original 1971 signs were present that had no exit numbers and county route shields (as the name Hilcrest Road was used) it had "The Plainfields" on a tack on sign beneath it in the same manner NCDOT does when adding on an additional control city on their already printed signs.  When NJDOT changed all of I-78 in 1983 to feature exit numbers and route numbers they added it to the main signs only EB as they figure no one needed to go to any of the Plainfields considering the cars driving it just began driving the freeway from Drift Road nearby as I-78 had no freeway from NJ 24 to that point.  When it finally opened for good, the demand for the Plainfields was needed and NJDOT added to it by moving around the other two existing control cities.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

The NJTA does it too and so did the GSP agency before the two agencies merged.  No, I've never seen it used for the Brunswicks either (nor for the Cape Mays).

As for the Wildwoods, there's this in Stone Harbor courtesy of the Cape May County roads agency (I think).

https://tinyurl.com/ybapsdj9

ixnay

bzakharin

I think The Wildwoods is slightly different from the others in that it is a brand fostered by the local Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement and Development Authority, which also runs "The Wildwoods Convention Center". It also collectively describes a geographic area - an island which includes Diamond Beach (which doesn't have "Wildwood" in its name). The other ones are just convenient ways for people (and traffic agencies) to describe groups of adjacent municipalities with similar names.

ekt8750

Quote from: bzakharin on July 19, 2018, 12:48:43 PM
I think The Wildwoods is slightly different from the others in that it is a brand fostered by the local Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement and Development Authority, which also runs "The Wildwoods Convention Center". It also collectively describes a geographic area - an island which includes Diamond Beach (which doesn't have "Wildwood" in its name). The other ones are just convenient ways for people (and traffic agencies) to describe groups of adjacent municipalities with similar names.

In fact North Wildwood is considering changing its name back to its as settled name of "Anglesea".

ixnay

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 19, 2018, 01:26:04 PM

In fact North Wildwood is considering changing its name back to its as settled name of "Anglesea".

Again?  Voters rejected the idea on election day 2016.  Is it back on the ballot this year?  If so, the act of putting the name change back on the ballot left no trail on Google.

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/index.ssf/2016/11/north_wildwood_rejects_name_change.html

ixnay

NJRoadfan

It also collectively describes a geographic area - an island which includes Diamond Beach (which doesn't have "Wildwood" in its name). The other ones are just convenient ways for people (and traffic agencies) to describe groups of adjacent municipalities with similar names.

Its called "Five-Mile Island".

roadman65

I love how for US 9 going NB from Freehold both South and Perth Amboys are listed as "The Amboys."

Yet only one has a directional prefix while the other is just "Perth" but nonetheless is an Amboy.

I know also that Route 35 uses "The Amboys" along various points heading north from Asbury Park as well as a few places on Route 34.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2018, 11:20:22 PM
I love how for US 9 going NB from Freehold both South and Perth Amboys are listed as "The Amboys."

Yet only one has a directional prefix while the other is just "Perth" but nonetheless is an Amboy.

I know also that Route 35 uses "The Amboys" along various points heading north from Asbury Park as well as a few places on Route 34.

I forgot the Amboys. It exists on 35 in Woodbridge as well.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2018, 12:39:32 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2018, 11:20:22 PM

I forgot the Amboys. It exists on 35 in Woodbridge as well.
Oh yes and even on US 1 & 9 at the new NJ 35 SB Exit where the old cloverleaf was modified back in the mid naughts.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 19, 2018, 10:47:10 PM
It also collectively describes a geographic area - an island which includes Diamond Beach (which doesn't have "Wildwood" in its name). The other ones are just convenient ways for people (and traffic agencies) to describe groups of adjacent municipalities with similar names.

Its called "Five-Mile Island".

And Stone Harbor and Avalon are on Seven Mile Island. 

When I lived in Cape May County in late 1986/early 1987, I never heard the locals refer to Five Mile and Seven Mile Islands by their names, although the trend regarding Cape May Court House (the county seat; I worked in that town during those months) was to call it simply "Court House".

ixnay

AMLNet49

Quote from: storm2k on July 16, 2018, 10:34:41 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on July 11, 2018, 05:53:05 PM
So what did the new I-278 exit numbers turn out to be? I dont think it was ever confirmed, there were just rumors. Or have the tarps not been taken off/numbers not confirmed yet?

The PA signed the exits right off the bridge as 3 A-B-C. Should be 2 A-B-C, especially since the Western Ave exit in SI is still signed as exit 3.

Wow that's brutal. So WB, it's 5, 4, 3, 3C, 3B, 3A, end of freeway? Yeah that definitely makes a lot of sense...

roadman65

Considering NJ uses milebased exits, that is odd for its interstates. If it were mile based, it should be Exit 2A, B, C.  Even though I-278 is the shortest interstate out of them all, where sequential would work better,  I would think that NJDOT would not consider that one.  The only reason why the NJ Turnpike and Palisades Interstate Parkway still have sequential numbering is cause NJDOT has no jurisdiction there on those two freeways.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2018, 11:13:07 PMThe only reason why the NJ Turnpike and Palisades Interstate Parkway still have sequential numbering is cause NJDOT has no jurisdiction there on those two freeways.

Whose jurisdiction does the PIP fall under?  And is it the case on the NYS portion too?

ixnay

storm2k

Quote from: ixnay on July 25, 2018, 08:58:10 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2018, 11:13:07 PMThe only reason why the NJ Turnpike and Palisades Interstate Parkway still have sequential numbering is cause NJDOT has no jurisdiction there on those two freeways.

Whose jurisdiction does the PIP fall under?  And is the case on the NYS portion too?

ixnay

The Palisades Interstate Park Commission.

lepidopteran

(one of my favorite things about NJDOT signing practices is the "The" towns -- The Plainfields, the Oranges. Sadly, never used for the Brunswicks).
I think the reason the NJTP never used "The Brunswicks" is, while Exit 9 is convenient for Brunswicks prefixed New, East, and North, Exit 8A is the way to go for South Brunswick.  This was signed as such on the pike, on an unusual supplementary sign listing (count 'em) 4 control cities.  That was removed with the recent MUTCD signing, though I'm not sure if SB is still listed on what's there now.

It's been said that "The Ridgefields" sounds like the name of a 50's sitcom, and "Kearny and The Oranges" could be a rock band.   :D

Don't forget those other unique control citites: "Shore Points", and "Shore Resorts".

roadman65

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 25, 2018, 09:43:06 PM
(one of my favorite things about NJDOT signing practices is the "The" towns -- The Plainfields, the Oranges. Sadly, never used for the Brunswicks).
I think the reason the NJTP never used "The Brunswicks" is, while Exit 9 is convenient for Brunswicks prefixed New, East, and North, Exit 8A is the way to go for South Brunswick.  This was signed as such on the pike, on an unusual supplementary sign listing (count 'em) 4 control cities.  That was removed with the recent MUTCD signing, though I'm not sure if SB is still listed on what's there now.

It's been said that "The Ridgefields" sounds like the name of a 50's sitcom, and "Kearny and The Oranges" could be a rock band.   :D

Don't forget those other unique control citites: "Shore Points", and "Shore Resorts".
Originally Exit 9 only had one control city which was "New Brunswick."  East Brunswick (and US 1) were both added later on.  However "Shore Resorts" was on SB signs up until the mid 90's or circa, but that was to promote the NJ 18 freeway extension south of US 9 (as originally NJ 18 ended at Route 9 in Old Bridge) when it opened.

South Brunswick was always on Exit 8A in both directions.

IMO Princeton should be on Exit 9 as a supplemental sign going SB and on Exit 8 going NB.  That city never got a mention anyplace despite it being home to Ivy League Princeton University.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.