News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Did I-515 in Las Vegas become I-11?

Started by 404inthe404, November 11, 2023, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

404inthe404

Driving this morning in the construction zone near downtown, heading south on I-515, I noticed just north of Charleston that the sign assembly had "I-11 / US 93 / US 95." To my knowledge, I did not know I-515 was intended to be designated as I-11 (although I always thought it was a foregone conclusions, just the studies had to be done first). Later on, even in the same construction zone, the freeway was only referenced as I-515.

Is I-515 becoming I-11?

Alps

ilpt4u

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2023, 11:04:11 AM
Bumping this, because the part in bold...
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 21, 2022, 03:26:18 PM
It's time to open the bets. What is happening at this meet? A new US Route for the first time in 17 years? I-515 dropped in favor of I-11? I-590 designated to serve my planned pie-in-the-sky development near Belvidere, Illinois? Or what else?

... actually happened at this meeting. This turned out like Plutonium getting Pu as its symbol, I said that as a joke and kaboom, it gets through.
From the October 2022 AASHTO thread
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32315.msg2779592#msg2779592

404inthe404

Interesting, thank you. I even did a search for this but had no idea it happened so long ago. Even Google still lists it as I-515.

vdeane

Quote from: 404inthe404 on November 11, 2023, 05:07:49 PM
Interesting, thank you. I even did a search for this but had no idea it happened so long ago. Even Google still lists it as I-515.
Just because it was determined and got AASHTO approval doesn't mean the signs were updated.  Some of those take a really long time between approval and actually getting signed in the field.  I think that I-11 sign you mentioned might be the only one so far.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully there will be a lot more Interstate 11 signs in the future. It's time for the Interstate 515 designation to R.I.P.

Rothman

This is going to be another case where a route changes on a road and Travel Mapping is going to say I've clinched something I haven't...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: vdeane on November 11, 2023, 05:15:02 PM
Quote from: 404inthe404 on November 11, 2023, 05:07:49 PM
Just because it was determined and got AASHTO approval doesn't mean the signs were updated.  Some of those take a really long time between approval and actually getting signed in the field.  I think that I-11 sign you mentioned might be the only one so far.
Perfect example is I-265 for the "gap" segment of the Louisville 3/4 beltway that was finished with the East End Bridge over the Ohio. AASHTO approved the I-265 designation for both the Indiana and Kentucky segments at the Spring 2019 meeting, and it is still unsigned to this day (apparently FHWA has some additional requirements to be met before giving its ok for the unified route number, mostly to do with mile markers/exit numbers starting at "0" at the KY 65/265 interchange and IN continuing KY's mile markers. At present, both segments count "up" to the state line on the new bridge, and the KY "0" point is the KY 841/US 31W/US 60 interchange)

Rothman

Well, sure.  FHWA holds authority over what is considered part of the IHS and is eligible for 90% NHPP funding, not AASHTO.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2023, 10:29:54 PM
This is going to be another case where a route changes on a road and Travel Mapping is going to say I've clinched something I haven't...

Can't be helped, especially if you have inside of your list file the underlying US highways that are along it, due to the multiplex detection.

Rothman

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 11, 2023, 11:53:23 PM

Can't be helped, especially if you have inside of your list file the underlying US highways that are along it, due to the multiplex detection.

I don't.  I just have I-515 in there.  But, there's a 50/50 chance that they'll just flip the code and automatically count I-11 as clinched...

cl94

As of right now, there have been zero substantial changes to 515, either internal or signage. I drove it today and that shield is a one-off. Similarly, nothing backend shows 515 being removed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 07:47:07 AM

I don't.  I just have I-515 in there.  But, there's a 50/50 chance that they'll just flip the code and automatically count I-11 as clinched...
I count any road I've been on as clinched, even if the number changes. New alignment is where I need to revisit.

oscar

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 07:47:07 AM

FWIW, I don't have I-515 in my list file, just the concurrent routes US 93 and US 95. I'm autocredited for I-515 anyway via TM's automatic multiplex detection, and will be autocredited for I-11 whenever ci94 extends that route in TM, without my having to lift a finger.

That comes in handy for all the Texas Interstate additions which follow existing US routes I've already clinched.

In your situation, TM will autocredit you for the part of I-11 you traveled when it was I-515, by treating I-515 as an alternate route name for I-11.

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2023, 10:26:56 PMI count any road I've been on as clinched, even if the number changes. New alignment is where I need to revisit.

My practice, too, unless I traveled an Interstate segment before it was upgraded to freeway (as happened with parts of US 71 gradually upgraded to I-49), in which case I had to play with my list file to turn off TM's autocrediting for those segments.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Can't have been on a route that wasn't there... :D

cl94

Alright, some I-11 updates from today's travels:

I-11 is now signed along I-15 SB in place of I-515. All approach assemblies are for I-11, but the gore sign and the signs on the ramps lack any I-shields. Given the lack of signs elsewhere and the fact that I-11 signs along 515/95 are still covered, I'm going to assume it's not official yet and these signs jump the gun.

I-11 shields are also covered along CC 215 at the Centennial Bowl. CC 215 is full freeway now, with the temporary expressway segment around the Centennial Bowl gone. VMSes along 515 and 95 refer to CC 215 as "I-215", so they're also jumping the gun with 215. My assumption is that I-11 will get extended north to NV 157 (last exit before an at-grade) when the Centennial Bowl work is complete, which is when we're also likely to see the transfer of CC 215 to NDOT.

I will note that I am actively monitoring NDOT's internal systems to see when the change becomes official. As long as everything on the NDOT end is 515, we can probably assume the change is not yet official unless there is a press release.

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 11:37:54 PM

Well, are we clinching routes or roads? CC 215 and I-515 as they exist today will be I-215 and I-11, respectively. For this reason, I'm counting CC 215 and I-515 clinches for I-215 and I-11. Just like how I'm counting an I-73 clinch for a segment that was "future" when I was on it in 2008 as there were no substantial changes since I was on it. A freeway I was on getting a new designation doesn't mean I need to redrive it to reclaim it. But I acknowledge that people view this differently and those differences are what make the hobby interesting.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Scott5114

You can't be on a route as it's just a bureaucratic fiction; it is a pointer to a physical road. You're on the road, not the route. And the road is the same.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

To truly establish whether traveling I-515 is the same as traveling I-11, we would need the ruling of a universally-accepted arbiter of truth and logic known throughout the world. Fortunately, I happen to have one handy; it's called gcc and it comes with Linux.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
    int freeway = 93 + 95; /* This is the physical road */
    int *i11;  /* I-11 designation */
    int *i515; /* I-515 designation */

i515 = &freeway; /* assign I-515 to freeway on July 12, 1976 */
    i11 = &freeway;  /* assign I-11 to freeway in 2022 */

if(*i515 == *i11) /* See if I-515 and I-11 are the same */
    {
        printf("Traveling I-515 is the same as traveling I-11\n");
    }
    else
    {
        printf("Traveling I-515 is different than traveling I-11\n");
    }

return 0;
}

Output:
Traveling I-515 is the same as traveling I-11

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Rothman

The complicated and perverted wrestling of logic roadgeeks will go through to not lose a clinch...

I clinch routes.

Makes it a lot easier for discussions when one is asked if they have been on a certain Interstate.

"Have you been on Interstate 11?"

"Yes, but when it was I-515."

"Wut."

:D

Scott5114

If you think a single if/else pair is "complicated and perverted", that sounds like a skill issue to me. :D

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 13, 2023, 01:34:24 AM
int freeway = 93 + 95; /* This is the physical road */

US 188 is a thing?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 07:02:47 AM
The complicated and perverted wrestling of logic roadgeeks will go through to not lose a clinch...

I clinch routes.

Makes it a lot easier for discussions when one is asked if they have been on a certain Interstate.

"Wut."

Going out to a city for the purposes of re-clinching a segment of freeway you've already completed because one of the three sign route designations changed is something only this hobby can come up with.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2023, 08:09:34 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 07:02:47 AM

I clinch routes.

"Wut."

Going out to a city for the purposes of re-clinching a segment of freeway you've already completed because one of the three sign route designations changed is something only this hobby can come up with.
Well, that would be the definition of the hobby itself... :D

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 13, 2023, 07:04:11 AM
If you think a single if/else pair is "complicated and perverted", that sounds like a skill issue to me. :D
Code means little when the premise upon which it is based is flawed.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 13, 2023, 01:22:37 AM

You can't be on a route as it's just a bureaucratic fiction; it is a pointer to a physical road. You're on the road, not the route. And the road is the same.

Or...  A road is a type of route.  A route is the way you get from A to B.  But are we clinching numerical designations?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.